Cardamom Dreams: The Saga of India

Cool update. Surely the empire will need a naval port on the west coast as well as one in Bengal, though - a Bengal-based fleet couldn't easily threaten Mysore or react to provocations from the Mysore navy, especially if there are other unfriendly powers in the way. Some of the navy will probably have to be based in Gujarat regardless of the security risks.

It's not so much that they're building a navy to threaten Mysore, so much as just building a navy and keeping it secure. Gujarat does, after all, contain all major Mughal ports. But the ports would be one to Turkish and European meddling, which could pretty much destroy it, still in the crib. A Bengal fleet, on the other hand, will be secure from all this, and allow a sort of foundation. Basically once they have actual ships to protect their coastline, they can begin to construct ships in Gujarat once more.

Sorry about the long wait guys.:eek:

Exams and ISUs have been piling up, so I haven't had the time to update the TL. Hoping to maybe find some time next weekend. Hopefully I'll have some, but exams start next week as well, so I can't guarantee anything. As always, if there's anything specific you'd like to see, please PM me.:)

Sorry about the long wait guys.:eek:

Exams and ISUs have been piling up, so I haven't had the time to update the TL. Hoping to maybe find some time next weekend. Hopefully I'll have some, but exams start next week as well, so I can't guarantee anything. As always, if there's anything specific you'd like to see, please PM me.:)

No problem. I'm looking forward to the next update!

Cheers,
Ganesha

Thanks for the support, guys.:)

It helps, believe me. I sort of have an idea of what to have in the next update; it probably won't be a surprise, but we'll see. As of now four exams to do this week, and the next Monday. Unfortunately the hardest is the one on Monday (law) so....no update until at least next Wednesday or Thursday.:(

July and August, 1575

VPCubMX.jpg

The tent he entered was not especially big, but there was a table arranged there, with a large map stretched out. Behind it, stood Hussain Quli Begh, leaning, poring over and pointing at the various areas of the map, no doubt attempting to find the perfect place to attack.

Hussain Quli Begh was a man of few words....when Birbal arrived in Tanda ready to march to Gaur, the commander was almost silent, stone-faced and blunt. Birbal couldn't say that he minded the change of pace; the almost endless amount of bickering and talking in Agra got to him, and a bit of silence would be good.

"Raja Birbal....I'm surprised that the Emperor sent you", Begh said, with a mark of disdain visible on his face. "I have to say, I was hoping for a more...experienced general."

Birbal simply nodded and smiled; people often did underestimate his abilities. Though he couldn't say he was a great warrior, he certainly was competent; at least he hoped so. "I suppose we'll just have to manage, then."

Begh sighed quit loudly, but began to describe the issue at hand, "Daud Khan has begun a march towards Gaur. Our job is to defend it. Now, obviously, it's important we hold the place, because if the rebel gets it...well, let's just say our job becomes much harder."

Birbal nodded, understanding the importance of the city, although it seemed minor enough. "So, what do you propose, then?"

"An offensive attack. We take Orissa, we decapitate Khan's forces before he can even try to hit us." Hussain replied, pointing at the map in front of him.
"His forces will be divided; confused, and no doubt, most of their supplies will be gone, and with us." He flashed a smile, proud of himself.

"And our losses? Taking Orissa is no easy task; an entire province, in an unsanctioned invasion? I can't expect the emperor will be pleased."

"The Refuge of the World trusts me, Birbal, just as much as he trusts you," He laughed," and I won't bare my head to the foot of an elephant if I can help it."

"I don't know; World Shaker's developing quite a bloodlust." Birbal replied.

cZeOTGo.jpg

"Is provoking the lion wise, Your Majesty?" Qutlu Khan asked, stroking his beard all the while.

"Is it? Perhaps not," Daud Shah answered, erstwhile ruler of Bengal, and ruler of Orissa, "but nature plays its part; the young lion beats the old, nuheen?"

Qutlu Khan took a sip from his glass. And nature breeds fools, he thought. It was too late, the optimal time to fight the Mughals had long past; Akbar had conquered Gujarat, beaten Udaipur, and the realm was at rest. And the wise lion was succeeded by the young fool, he mused. Qutlu spoke, "There have been tidings from Tanda. Hussain Quli Begh has a force of twenty thousand to deal with us."

"Come now, then what is the problem? We outnumber them, and that means Gaur is not heavily defended." Daud shot back. " Your lack of optimism....bothers me."

"Perhaps it is the pragmatism in me that shows, then." Qutlu quietly said, sipping the cold water once more. "I don't believe it is wise to brazenly poke a lion with a stick."

"I AM THE LION!" screamed Daud. "I will take back what is mine! I will sack Delhi, and I will forge once again the Empire that was Sher Shah's!"

"Of course, Your Majesty. Forgive my....choice of words." The young fool will take us to our deaths.

"Do we still have the loyalty of the Baro-Bhuyans? I am sure Isa Khan will come to our aid..."

"No, sire. Akbar made overtures towards him....our spies stated that they were granted security in their lands as long as they paid tribute. And Isa Khan was forced to flee eastwards."

"Damn those bastards!" Daud screamed. He gulped his wine, and continued, "I will conquer my lands back! I will lead the frontal assault! And we will get victory, Qutlu Khan; of that I assure you."

Last edited:
Thanks. Well, Akbar will show him how lions deal with wayward cubs, for sure. :D

I think Akbar may not get the chance. Based on what you've implied, Qutlu Khan may be interested in striking a deal with the Mughals - and might lead a palace coup in the meantime.

Cheers,
Ganesha

I think Akbar may not get the chance. Based on what you've implied, Qutlu Khan may be interested in striking a deal with the Mughals - and might lead a palace coup in the meantime.

Cheers,
Ganesha

Well I didn't say it would be directly. Or maybe it will be. ;)

NOTE: I had a look at post 75, and where it says 1576, it is meant to say 1572. The next update is meant to retcon that entire post.

Last edited:
Venkateswaran, Ramachandra Trade and Terror: How the Kingdom of Mysore Rose to Become a True Power (Zafar Publishing, 2008)

dD1TRy7.jpg

Following Thimmaraja's death in 1572, Malik was quick to crown Raja Wodeyar the new King of Mysore. A mere boy, the new king would be amenable to Malik's policies, and wouldn't question any of Malik's reforms. At the same time, the boy would prove to be Malik's legacy, given his own wife never resurfaced after her escape from Golconda, revealing in the Pirate King a sentimental ruler.

Yet this did not melt away his resolve, and throughout the 1570s, the 'sultan' would oversee the construction of a new capital at Srirangapatnam. Intended to be the central hub of the entire kingdom, the city was mean to serve everyone; soldiers, merchants, officials, administrators, and workers. Roads were to be built from the centre of the city outwards, with rings around each, imitating a spider's web, with a large new palace as the central component. The roads were the key to everything, and were not only for commerce to flood in, but also to facilitate the movement of soldiers from the capital to the outer parts of the kingdom; the arteries of Malik Bahadur's society. With them, he had full control over the nayaks, and was able to implement the second part of his plan- removing them altogether.

Under Vijayanagar, the nayaks had consolidated much power, and arguably were Vijayanagar. Their support and allegiance was the key to breaking the old empire, and without them, Mysore would crumble. Yet, this also fostered corruption and ultimately a feudal mess, with the nayaks holding supreme authority over their own domains, and the king, none. Under Malik Bahadur's doctrine, however, this would not last.

The entire foundation would be scrapped, yet it was done slowly and meticulously. Schools and madrasas were opened in Srirangapatnam, to create a new administrative class, not based on caste so much as knowledge and merit. Though the untouchables would not be allowed entrance, the schools opened the gates to many other people willing to learn. This encouraged a cultural fluidity of sorts, with people gaining power regardless of their religion. This nexus was not achieved without cost, however, and Malik had to lean heavily on groups such as the Lingayatists to overthrow Mysore's strict caste laws.

With the opening of these schools, many people from disparate areas were quick to arrive in Srirangapatnam, and it was here where ties were fostered between the future ruling class of the kingdom. Bound by education and loyalty, many of the students would become zamindars; in essence, tax officials, as those in the Mughal Empire. Yet Mysore's zamindars would be used in a multitude of ways, becoming the king's eyes and ears, keeping the nayaks in check and holding the keys to power.

At the same time, to check the power of the nayaks of the coast, Malik would begin funding the merchants of the Mangalore coast, reinstating the guilds of yore. Yet this time, the guilds would be loyal to Srirangapatnam, trading and sailing in the name of the king. Malik made the kingdom the main guarantor of all coastal commerce, keeping the capital's hand in the pockets of the traders. In effect they would be agents of the central government against the local government, and ensure that the power structure could not be toppled.

These policies would combine into a doctrine dubbed Dharmaraj by Malik's successor, Raja I, who eventually renamed himself Dharmaraja I. Rebuilding Mysore from the ground up, it would create a society which flourished and ultimately led to a boom in art and innovation, not only in the kingdom itself, but in all of India.

Where history disagrees, however, is whether Dharmaraja I was a student of Malik Bahadur, or whether he was a hostage. The most common argument for the former is that the foundation for all the reforms was done under Malik's regency period; yet the fact remains that as a boy, Raja was not the only potential heir. That he was swiftly crowned ahead of many potential relatives, and housed in Malik's own capital of Srirangapatnam tends to lean towards the hostage side. On the whole, however, despite the arguments back and forth, the fact remains that his time in Srirangapatnam greatly influenced the boy, who as king would lead Mysore into a golden age.

Where history disagrees, however, is whether Dharmaraja I was a student of Malik Bahadur, or whether he was a hostage.

No doubt a bit of both at various times, depending on the state of the power struggles in the kingdom - but it seems that he is ultimately Malik's heir and the inheritor of the administrative structure that the pirate king created.

These are the administrative and educational developments you talked about before - it looks like Mysore will become very strong.

No doubt a bit of both at various times, depending on the state of the power struggles in the kingdom - but it seems that he is ultimately Malik's heir and the inheritor of the administrative structure that the pirate king created.

These are the administrative and educational developments you talked about before - it looks like Mysore will become very strong.

Mysore won't be amazingly strong....the author's more than a little bit biased, and I should begin putting footnotes again.:eek:

After all, the period also looks at four strong Deccani states that managed to rip through Vijayanagar, not to mention those little Mughals up north. And Europe, can't forget that!;):p

Mysore won't be amazingly strong....the author's more than a little bit biased, and I should begin putting footnotes again.:eek:

After all, the period also looks at four strong Deccani states that managed to rip through Vijayanagar, not to mention those little Mughals up north. And Europe, can't forget that!;):p

Granted. But Akbar has other priorities for the time being, and at this point, the Europeans would enter on even terms. And the growth of education, a professional civil service and softening of the caste system (there may not be untouchables at that school, but I bet there are a few vaisyas and sudras) is bound to strengthen Mysore somewhat. It's making the transition from feudal to early modern.

Granted. But Akbar has other priorities for the time being, and at this point, the Europeans would enter on even terms. And the growth of education, a professional civil service and softening of the caste system (there may not be untouchables at that school, but I bet there are a few vaisyas and sudras) is bound to strengthen Mysore somewhat. It's making the transition from feudal to early modern.

That's true. However Portugal is already a force to be reckoned with, on sea if not on land....and at this point they're an older presence than both the Mughals AND Mysore!:p