Cardamom Dreams: The Saga of India

Very sorry! For a moment I forgot that this is a TL you have created and I considered it as OTL. My mistake. I like your story and watch the progress. I also like your other timelines related to Indian History.

Thanks. But if I do get anything wrong, please do correct me!:)

Gujarati Summer

Gujarat had been fabled in the court of Kabul, during his grandfather's rule. He had not thought anything special of it, but seeing it now....the sea. He could understand now, why they had talked so much of it. It was beautiful. It was truly and truthfully beautiful, and no other words would come to his head, as his eyes continued to gaze beyond the horizon, watching the sun set into the sea.

"Jahanpanah, is there something wrong?"

"Get me a boat."

"What?"

"I want a boat. It amazes me how my grandfather loathed this country. I think I may have just fallen in love...but first, I need a boat."

"Very well, sire."

The servant rushed off to fetch a boat, as Akbar continued to watch the blue waves of water, moving rhythmically with the sounds of his army setting up camp. Slow and perfect, he thought. He needed to go on the water. He would conquer the waves. He would. He would do it. And then he would conquer the world. Just then, the boat arrived. Not even waiting to thank the servant, he went off into the sea, and for the next hour, many had thought him lost. Eventually he returned, with a broad grin on his face, and proceeded to announce:

"I have conquered the sea! I have conquered the sea!"

Many watching had thought him mad, but the emperor quickly got out the boat, stumbling on the shore towards his men.

"We have won Gujarat men! I know it! And we will win elsewhere too. God is with us."

He then said the fateful words, "Allahu Akbar!"

But his men could only wonder, was he speaking of himself?

The End of the Afghan Threat

dfTJH.jpg

Shahanshah Akbar-e-Azam

Akbar would eventually prove an able ruler once taking the reins from Bairam Khan, however there were many issues to be met. First off, the continued independence of Gujarat, which managed to retain its independence following the deposition of Humayun, and which had stayed that way ever since. Furthermore, it was the last bastion of Afghan rule...the final vestige of a bygone era which Akbar felt he had to eliminate, in order to finally entrench Mughal domination of Northern India. After all, it had only been six years after the defeat of Hemu. Though his torso would be displayed prominently in Delhi warning Hindus about rebelling, Mughal rule was still quite fragile, and relied a lot more on Rajput alliances, especially with Chittor still in rebellion. And even so, Hemu led a mostly Afghan force; they had to be crushed in spirit and broken in heart. As such, capturing Ahmadabad proved to be not only a way to increase the dynasty's prestige, but also eliminating the last real rebel state. That Ahmadabad was a city only second to Delhi in grandeur and that how heavily Gujarati method of combining Persian, Afghan and Hindu cultural traditions in their architecture would influence the Mughals later on only enhanced the conquest. Most importantly, however, was the fact that Gujarat opened up the possibility of establishing a navy with its excellent ports.

FGyj0.jpg

Bahadur Shah, Sultan of Gujarat

Bahadur Shah, the ruler of Gujarat, would eventually prove to be easy prey, and the Empire would swiftly annex the Sultanate, however this would prove to be the least interesting part of Gujarat's history, given its importance would prove only to grow larger with time. The aforementioned fusion elements of Gujarati architecture would become renowned throughout the Mughal Empire, and Gujaratis would be the main architects of the Tomb of Akbar II in 1615 and the Hkemt Mahal in 1626. In addition, one could notice a pattern of the imperial successor always being the governor of the province, with Mirza Husain (Akbar II), Mirza Saif-ud-din and Mirza Suleyman being notable examples, which really demonstrated how the succession worked, and eventually how being named governor of the region became synonymous with becoming Crown Prince. Even more critical, however, was how important it was to the development of the Mughal navy. Though the navy would only truly grow under Akbar II due to Mirza Hassan's efforts.

Oddly enough, or rather prophetically, it was also in Gujarat, where Husain and Hassan were conceived during the first of Akbar's many holidays to the region. Perhaps that could be why it continued to be so important in the mindset of the Emperors from then on. Or perhaps its history and cultural fusion made it a small representative of the empire as a whole.

If you guys do have any criticisms, please do let me know, and if you have any tips concerning the improvement of my writing style...that would be tops.:)

Bold Moves

Malik Bahadur found himself in a comfortable military position in the Sultanate of Golconda. Though age had worn him down as the years went by, the sultan found many uses for his battlefield acumen, using him in the war against Vijayanagar. In addition, the role would bring him an enormous amount of influence over the soldiers of Golconda's army....something that would prove enormously critical in the future.

At this time, many of what may have been his most intimate records are not known, due to the lack of any contemporary accounts, but there are some rather vague descriptions of a certain 'Pirate General', in European records of the era. What we do know, is that, according to Malik Bahadur himself, this was the time in which he used his military clout to cultivate his political influence in the court. Though still technically a slave, he understood his own importance to the sultan, and quickly took advantage of that fact, essentially using the army as leverage to accomplish this goal.

By 1572, it was largely evident within the fort, that he did succeed. Though he had not managed to secure the position of wakil, he had done the next best thing, and that was to effectively become commander of the army as a whole. Bahadur had been a man who had supported the inclusion of Christians into Adal's forces during his early career, and that principle would continue into his sojourn in India. The soldiers of the Sultan's army were composed of not only Shias, but large numbers of Sunnis and Hindus...two groups who emphatically supported him in his ambition, cementing his hold on the backbone of the state: the soldiers.

This does not mean, however that shoring up all this influence was in any way easy, as Ibrahim Qutub Shah Wali was arguably the greatest Deccan sultan, and he had done much to promote the Telegu language following his return from exile from Vijayanagar, in addition to uniting the other minor sultanates and ultimately launching a war against the very same king who sheltered him, Aliya Rama Raya. This ruthlessness, balanced by generally good rule would mark the zenith of the Qutb Quli dynasty, but for Malik Bahadur, that would pose a large problem.

Ibrahim was not standing idly as Malik pushed through his reforms and used this to his advantage. Rather than let Malik take most of the credit, he did something quite brilliant...offering an exemption to the jizya any Hindu who would serve in the army. This, combined with his patronage of Telegu art and culture, along with his marriage to a Telegu woman, Bhageerathi, would endear him to the people. This would go a long way towards culling Malik's immediate fantasies, and leave him planning for the long term.

The aforementioned map. I'm really not good enough to make quality original maps, so bear with me, but here's a map showing the general Mughal growth of OTL, but also shows the rest of India.

O4xs7Mk.gif

Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder where I should go next....I have something in mind for Malik in the near future, and it would involve Vijayanagar to a greater degree...any requests?

Hmm, I wonder where I should go next....I have something in mind for Malik in the near future, and it would involve Vijayanagar to a greater degree...any requests?

Vijayanagar would be good - I'd be interested to see how southern India is reacting to all the Moghul developments. I'd also like to see more on the development of TTL's Din-e-Lahi.

Vijayanagar would be good - I'd be interested to see how southern India is reacting to all the Moghul developments. I'd also like to see more on the development of TTL's Din-e-Lahi.

Well given that the developments in Mughal India happened over a decade, and the events with Malik and Golconda are still occurring within that decade, Vijayanagar will not really be reacting to all this, as the empire itself will collapse. The successor states, however, will be a whole other story.

Din-i-Lahi will be something of an overall subject. It will be tied to Mughal India and vice versa, so any posts dealing with the Mughals should also reference it to a good degree. I'm trying to think exactly how it will affect the militaristic style hierarchy in the empire though...I'm toying with factionalism becoming a mainstay, but if anyone does have any other good ideas, they are welcome to suggest them:) I'll certainly appreciate it.:D

WMH2bBP.jpg

Golconda
April 1567

When spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion.- Old Abyssinian proverb

He had always thought himself the former- a spider prancingly wandering the walls of Golconda, He thought himself capable of weaving an intricate web within the halls of the palace; securing his influence whilst scaring others away. He thought all these things....yet his time in the city had proven only one thing. Every step he attempted to make, the sultan was ahead. Every gesture returned in kind, and though he commanded a sizable army, he had not been able to make any inroads within the court. He was an outcast. A slave. And he had not managed to move past that. And yet the sultan had given him a title. Malik Bahadur. Bold Leader. It had to count for something, and though he may have hated his fate within invisible chains, he would prove to himself that he was worthy of being so.

But was it not true that he was trapped in a web? The lion, being overwhelmed by the tiny little spiders slowly tearing him apart? Oh, yes, for things to proceed, he would have to get out. Fleeing was perhaps not the right word, retreat, more correct. For the bold lion had a right to rule. To defeat the other lion who stood in his path. To take his lionesses and command the pride. That was his right. But musing these things without any recourse would only serve to do nothing. That was for sure. He had things to consider, like whether he should quietly arrange for his wife and unborn child to leave the city before his own departure; or perhaps he should leave before. His own security was paramount, for he could always have other children.

The thought left him cold. He was shocked by the thoughts entering his head, and his mind attempting to justify them, but was it not true? A leader cannot show weakness, and must reciprocate threats with only savage ferocity. This ambition drove him. He would live to see his line continue, as great men; this he vowed. And he promised himself that Golconda would yet be his, with its unparalleled wealth. But before he could do any of that he would have to figure out where to go before muttering, "The lion will shred through the web."

"What was that, sahib?" asked Ranjit Dhillon, soldier of fortune and perhaps Malik's only comrade.

"Oh, nothing, just some musing on my part." Malik made a genuine attempt at smiling, but the Punjabi noticed something odd in his demeanour.

"You know, sahib, you truly aren't a schemer," He said, continuing, "You're planning something. I know you are. Bigger than what we intended."

Malik could only answer truthfully. "Yes Ranjit. I do. And you will know soon enough-"

"Sahib, you have absolutely no idea what you want to do, do you?", Dhillon answered with a laugh. He then lifted his left arm, the remaining one, and pointed it south. "When in doubt, go South."

"Served you well, has it?" Malik replied, motioning towards his friend's right stump.

"I may have lost a hand, but I could have damn well lost my life!" Dhillon's expression changed from cheery to stone; his eyes emitting a deathly stare. "I'm telling you, and I expect you to listen, sahib, that we go south." He turned towards the south tracing a line in the air with his hand. "Your wife will leave with the merchants near the south of the city at dusk."

Malik's brain convulsed at the thought of sending his wife with merchants. His own experiences had been....unsatisfactory, to say the least. "Are you mad, Ranjit? What if they take off and sell her?"

Dhillon wryly replied, "She will be fine. Just remember to pay the merchants well." His eyes then ran to the spot on his left hand that used to be his little finger.

Malik had been a bit overwhelmed by all this....but one thing was unsure once more; was he the little spider, after all?

************************************************************************************************************************
An Adventure in Mahishuru

We do not know for sure what was going on within the mind of Malik Bahadur, but we do know he had the foresight to smuggle his wife with the merchants out of the city. Contemporary records indicate she was pregnant, so her survival would have been seen as essential. At least when trying to see things from his perspective.

By a stroke of luck, a minor rebellion occurred in the eastern parts of the Sultanate, allowing Malik to sneak out on the pretense of quelling said rebellion. However, rather than head eastwards, he would go south, towards Mahishuru. It is important to note that Vijayanagar was in a process of decline, with many of its vassals, such as the king of Mahishuru, exerting more and more of their independence. This had been a gradual and slow process in its first steps, with the Empire still retaining a significant amount of power. The arrival of Malik Bahadur and his slave army would change all that.

The biggest obstacle he would face, however, was the army of Vijayanagar. 100 000 strong, with war elephants and Turkish gunners, they would be overpowered in any sort of direct confrontation. Trying to touch the imperial capital of Vijayanagar would be suicide. Instead, his mobile slave army of 6 000 would try their luck at capturing Mahishuru. If they could capture the fort, they could then fortify themselves, while sending envoys to some of the more powerful rulers within Vijayanagar, but more importantly, the Portuguese.

Why the Portuguese? Malik Bahadur had his misgivings about them, but understood the need of ships, especially to supply arms to any other vassals wishing to join him in war. Courting the Portuguese would also give him the power to trade with them further down the line, and the spices in the South were of considerable value....something he could definitely take advantage of.

Another brilliant stroke of luck occurred within a week of Malik's sojourn into Vijayanagar: the planned invasion of the Raichur Doab was finally undertaken by the Sultanate of Bijapur. With a lot of weight off of his own shoulders, Malik would launch his attack on the fort of Maishuru on the 14th of May, 1567.

Last edited:
Indian Mamelukes? Very cool. Hopefully he can use Portugal's aid without ending up its servant.
Indian Mamelukes were everpresent. The Delhi Sultanate frex, was known as the Mameluke Sultanate by some, while the Mughals and really most Indian armies used them.

Hopefully. It will be tough. He does have a reputation that will cultivate in the Portuguese ports.....after all, he was a pirate.;)

CAaONur.jpg

December 18th, 1567
The Fortress of Chittorgarh

"FIRE!" 'BOOM!'

"FIRE!" 'BOOM!'

"FIRE!" 'BOOM!'

The beat of the cannons had synchronised with his heart; so embedded within his mind was the flight of the cannonballs as they hit the walls of the fort. Each hit killed someone; it was not a strange sight to see maimed and charred corpses near the battlements. But still, the sight of one of his comrades missing an arm, or a leg, or being cut in half, continued to scare him.

"Arvind! Enough. Sujamal will take over. Even we must rest, lest our tired corpses allow the Musalmans in!" The comment had come from Jaimal Rathore, commander or qiledar of the fort. Though jovial in spirit, his eyes betrayed his weariness, and his face seemed haggardly, making the man of sixteen look sixty.

"As you wish, Jaimal," Arvind answered. He grabbed his gun and moves off of the battlements, walking towards the qiledar. It was hard to believe that only a few years ago, they had been playmates. Yet now, he seemed more distant, older. The siege had made him grow up. "Is the maharana safe?"

"Udai Singh is safe, yes." The disrespect surprised Arvind, and yet he understood. Udai Singh fled the fort, leaving his soldiers to die. And yet it was an intelligent decision; the Mughals had been relentless in their goal to take Chittorgarh.

"And no doubt will he come with reinforcements, yes?"
Jaimal let out a chuckle. "No. We're on our own, as far as reinforcements go. The best we can do is hold out against the Musalmans and hope for the best."

'CRACKOOM!'

The explosion had startled Arvind, but it was followed by roaring laughter.

"What happened?"

One of the archers chuckled, "Sir, the Musalmans planted mines in a tunnel under our castle."

Jaimal looked at the man with rage. "Kutha Sala! That is no laughing matter! "

"Apologies sir, but it is, for you see.....it blew up, killing them."

"Wait, what? And what of the tunnel?"

"Cl-closed off by the debris," he laughed, motioning towards the commotion at the bottom of the fort.

"Ha! Well, it seems, dear Arvind, that the gods are still with us!" Jaimal bellowed, "Come. Let us tell Fateh of this wonderful news! We'll make the Musalmans bleed yet!"

Cool update! One question - a guy sixteen years old is in charge of the fort? How the hell did that happen?

Cheers,
Ganesha

Cool update! One question - a guy sixteen years old is in charge of the fort? How the hell did that happen?

Cheers,
Ganesha
He's actually real. Jaimal Rathore and Fateh Singh Sisodia were the sixteen year old commanders of Chittorgarh after Udai Singh's departure. :)