Cardamom Dreams: The Saga of India

I take it that Akbar II's nobles will be just as thoroughly replaced by royal functionaries as the French nobility under Louis XIV, but they'll become mercenaries and pirates in the East Indies rather than accepting court sinecures?

I take it that Akbar II's nobles will be just as thoroughly replaced by royal functionaries as the French nobility under Louis XIV, but they'll become mercenaries and pirates in the East Indies rather than accepting court sinecures?

Not mercenaries and pirates per se; there'll be plenty of those.... but investors.

The nobility in India is tightly wound, but if a noble were to establish a power base somewhere else, they get back some of the freedom they had before.

Not mercenaries and pirates per se; there'll be plenty of those.... but investors.

The nobility in India is tightly wound, but if a noble were to establish a power base somewhere else, they get back some of the freedom they had before.

I could see a place for their wealth in the European colonial states of East Africa, and in the kingdoms of Southeast Asia.

Cheers,
Ganesha

Along with Minarets of Atlantis, this will be another TL to feature a form overseas expansion alternative to European style colonialism. And it's been pretty while since the last update so I couldn't resist bumping this up :p