Cardamom Dreams: The Saga of India

*Hindu banks simply means Indian banks, as *Hindu is used as the national demonym. But yes, there are Hindu banks working in tandem with Muslim banks- they play a very big role in the financial system given that interest is not disallowed to them- but as we will see, a lot of new restrictions are going to be formed, while others go away.

What was the Indian Muslim attitude toward charging interest at this time? If I remember right, several of the early Indian banks in OTL were Muslim, so there seems to have been some disregard of the prohibition (as there was among Christians).

If the Muslim banks won't charge interest, they'll be at a commercial disadvantage compared to the Hindu banks. Are the restrictions you mention designed to level the playing field by reserving some areas of finance for Muslims? Or will there be an earlier development of the kinds of non-interest finance charges that Islamic banks use today?

What was the Indian Muslim attitude toward charging interest at this time? If I remember right, several of the early Indian banks in OTL were Muslim, so there seems to have been some disregard of the prohibition (as there was among Christians).

If the Muslim banks won't charge interest, they'll be at a commercial disadvantage compared to the Hindu banks. Are the restrictions you mention designed to level the playing field by reserving some areas of finance for Muslims? Or will there be an earlier development of the kinds of non-interest finance charges that Islamic banks use today?

Well in the sense that while Muslim bankers could get away with charging interest, they could be held liable in court by potentially disgruntled customers working within the bounds of Muslim civil law. However, the Mughals, until Aurangzeb, while not having codified their law, did not rule according to Sharia, where it really nay applied in criminal justie cases. Here, with earlier codification not entirely based on Sharia, Muslim bankers might get some legal backing.

v8aoiHf.jpg

December 1613

Husain was not able to sleep. The mid-afternoon sun crept into his eyes, tearing his lids open, and he crawled out of his bed in a daze. He was tired, and any man in his position would be; the war was won, yes, but the peace was hardest of all. So many questions to answer, so few answers to actually give- his father would have known exactly what to say... whether or not by tongue or sword. Akbar's shadow lingered on, and sometimes Husain feared he could never escape, but be doomed to squirm within it, but at last he found wisdom underneath the fruits of his tree. He had taken his father's name as his own, adopted his father's regalia and customs, promising the same prosperity that the old king had so gracefully ensured. He sought to water the roots of the empire Akbar had built, and hoped that it would grow and grow like that apple tree he and Hasan used to frequent so much in their youth... but a sapling- it almost grew along with them.

A ghost appeared out of his thoughts and before his eyes and Husain became so fully entranced by the spirit; the youth beckoned to him, dancing gracefully forward- he had barely the time to compose himself, putting on a simple white robe before the tricky spirit nautched out of the apartment. Husain moved his feet to chase the ghost, rushing out of the room in a panic. Concubines, wives, elders, no one was safe from his rush; of course the truth of what he was chasing eluded them anyways. "Idiot!" he heard his mother yell as he shoved her aside- the words disappeared as quickly as they appeared, however, and he did not care anyways. The only thing occupying his sights was the ghostly youth, laughing as it pranced forward and forward. He did not even notice he was in the palace gardens when the boy stopped to smile at him, flashing his teeth. Husain stared incredulously, but all the boy did was point towards the magnificent apple tree of his youth. He looked at it- its beauty was beyond description and each fruit seemed to tell a different story- the one where Husain gained his manhood, or where the chief eunuch and the royal barber hid a pouch of gold mohurs only for it to be found by Hasan, or the one where Anarkali seduced hi- oh, he was confusing the first and third stories it seemed. In any case, his thoughts were interrupted by a... reflection.

Hasan sat under the tree in deep thought, silently staring at the fountains of the garden. He seemed absolutely enraptured by the sights, but Husain knew better... he walked towards his brother. There was no doubt that Hasan was a darker reflection of Husain, and he often found himself wondering why he had even let his rebellious brother live- the Osmanlis seemed to have had no problem in dispatching their kin; why should he? But as he walked closer, he understood his own mind better than ever as it was joined by his brother's gaze. Interrupted by a brief salaam, the brothers sat together under the tree, and Husain looked into Hasan's black eyes- greeted by the sights of a hundred kinsmen being meted with a hundred different deaths: his son being cut down by Hasan's, Hasan's grandson being ripped to pieces by his own grandson's dogs, those grandsons' sons shooting at each other with cannons in a macabre and twisted game. Had he killed his brother, would that not be the fate of the next few generations? But right before he looked away he saw a wink- the ghost!

"The apples are terrible" Hasan said as he crunched into the small fruit in his palm, "Seems like fate- this damnably beautiful tree with its disgusting apples."

The ghost in Hasan's eyes began to grow older- Husain ignored it. "At least they aren't rotten."

"With the way they taste, maybe a rotten one would be better!" Hasan laughed bitterly. He gazed at the tallest branch and continued, "Jahanpanah, remember when we were thrown back by that branch? We were so close to the top-"

Husain was taken aback by the title. He should not have been, yet it still gnawed at his heart- Akbar's death was still fresh, but he ignored it. The ghost, meanwhile, seemed to split into two, and the twinkle disappeared as they climbed onto the tree. One helped the other, as they nimbly scaled it. Husain kept staring at the spirits, and his eyes climbed with them....we were so close to the top.

Hasan kept talking; but he could not hear what his brother said; Husain was too busy being enraptured by the ghostly twins.... the first climbed just one branch shy from the top....so close...before it swung back in a violent slap, launching the spirits downwards. They seemed to fall for an eternity, but the tree regained its composure almost instantly-as if it had never moved in the first place, its treachery robbing the boys of their victory. He was shocked as the spirits crashed onto the ground..."like rotten apples", and for the very first time that day, Husain smiled.
**********​

7p0EvSP.jpg

The cups filled with wine as Ram Khan grabbed a nautch girl to his lap... it hadn't been that long, but then again, war made everything seem like eternity. The girl's beauty helped too- the moment he spied her dancing for Amar Singh, he knew he wanted her. For his part, the Rana of Udaipur did not stop Ram Khan from claiming his conquest, but simply smiled the simplest smile in the world. For some reason, that chilled Ram Khan more than any of the battles he had ever fought- he was sure Amar was up to something.

In all fairness, he did not trust the Rajput... for all his time in Udaipur, the only time the two men ever found common ground was when they slipped into the puddle of the drink- dowsing themselves in an alcoholic stupor. Sobriety, however, was completely different. The Rajput king seemed like a coiled snake, ready to strike at any point, and his leering smile only aggravated his gut feeling. After all, Amar Singh was a Sisodiya, the same line of kings who refused to kneel before the Emperor's own kin- why should he do so now? There had to be some plan at work.

All the while the other part of Ram Khan's mind urged him to bed the girl he had on his lap, but as he seemed to open his eyes she disappeared! He scanned the room quickly and found her peeking behind a wall, her eyes sparkling. Ram began to chase after her, the last sound he heard being Amar Singh's hearty laugh bellowing across the tent, chasing after his shadow. As he looked behind the wall, he found only her back as she continued to sprint- this time into the bushes of the jungle. In his misty state, he jumped right after her.

Covered by sheets of green he could not see anything- but a faint strand getting closer and closer to his neck-

A cord! He acted quickly putting his hand between his neck and the tightening noose, grabbing what he could. A small trace of red began to appear on his hand as he launched himself backwards, smacking his assailant right in the face. The grip on the cord loosened and Khan turned around quickly, only to see the face of the beauty he had chased short moments ago. Only this time with red rushing down her nose.

He took out his sword and placed it on her neck, but the girl noticed his lack of balance and nimbly rolled away, kicking his left shin- Khan howled in pain as he felt himself tumble onto the ground.

The girl stood on top of him as he hissed in pain; she placed her foot on top of his hand, taking away his sword and placing it at his throat.

"Wh-what is the name of my killer?" he managed to blurt out.

Just as she was about to speak, two soldiers who had heard the commotion wandered in from the campsite- the girl ran off deeper into the darkness taking his sword with her.

The soldiers asked Khan what had happened, and he duly explained, but he could not help but think back to just a few moments ago; did he hear what he truly heard? Did those words that escaped the girl's lips hold the truth, or were they a fiction his mind had conjured up?

He could not help but beam a bright smile, standing next to two very confused soldiers- after all beside him were a phansidar noose and a shawl- and he was enchanted.

The look of her smirk captured his soul and he pictured her say it:
"Sita. My name is Sita. "

Last edited:
Okay, either Ram Khan was not thinking straight at the time or he just has different conceptions of what makes him smile. If someone tried to kill me, I wouldn't smile at him or her unless it was a prank! :eek:

Thank you, Badshah. Both scenes are original and fascinating, and leave me wanting more. Including Ram Khan's punch line.

Okay, either Ram Khan was not thinking straight at the time or he just has different conceptions of what makes him smile. If someone tried to kill me, I wouldn't smile at him or her unless it was a prank! :eek:

Some men simply are unable to resist a beauty so dangerous ;)

He's a drunk warrior- I'd like to think that a beautiful girl trying to kill him only ups his infatuation in this case. :p

Thank you, Badshah. Both scenes are original and fascinating, and leave me wanting more. Including Ram Khan's punch line.

Thank you! I realised that I couldn't just ignore people I've mentioned in past updates, and Malik Bahadur had a lot of buildup that just dissipated; I don't want the same thing for Husain, for Bacon, for Ram Khan, nor any other characters.

Love at first attempted murder - isn't that how it always starts?

At the beginning, I was just going to have it be a scene where Ram Khan and Amar Singh are just drunkenly babbling and Khan takes one of the dancers- but I couldn't resist making the dancer something else- hopefully she ends up three-dimensional; it's definitely not the last we've seen of 'Sita'.

At the beginning, I was just going to have it be a scene where Ram Khan and Amar Singh are just drunkenly babbling and Khan takes one of the dancers- but I couldn't resist making the dancer something else- hopefully she ends up three-dimensional; it's definitely not the last we've seen of 'Sita'.

I agree, there should be more of 'Sita'. Anyone have any speculation to whom she might be?

Indian timelines are rare, and good ones even rarer. I haven't read a Mughal timeline this good in a while. A brilliant timeline. Love it! Subscribed... btw really funny making Sita the would be assassin of Ram Khan.

I agree, there should be more of 'Sita'. Anyone have any speculation to whom she might be?

In all honesty, I don't know. Maybe that's for the better- gives me more leeway.:p

Indian timelines are rare, and good ones even rarer. I haven't read a Mughal timeline this good in a while. A brilliant timeline. Love it! Subscribed... btw really funny making Sita the would be assassin of Ram Khan.

Thank you so much! I figured since I've a deep interest in Indian history I might as well have started a timeline about it.

Now, I never said her name actually was Sita; after all Ram Khan was drunk and the assassination attempt probably scrambled his brain just a little. ;)

This was a really great update, I loved Husain's sequence. Your writing style reminds me a fair bit of Khaled Hosseini. Nicely done! :)

Cheers,
Ganesha

Your doing an amazing job Badshah. I have to say this is probably the best indian TL I have seen on the forums.

Thank you!
This was a really great update, I loved Husain's sequence. Your writing style reminds me a fair bit of Khaled Hosseini. Nicely done! :)

Cheers,
Ganesha

Well I just realised I have a fruit tree being a focal point with one of the characters being a Hasan and they both have a brotherly relationship so....

Hindsight kills sometimes:p

But thank you! I've only ever read Kite Runner out of his books- but I really liked it so it's a great compliment to hear that!:)

Asok Sinha: The Great Gurkhani War vol.I (Imperial Press, 1899)

tsL6M13.png

The peace was one of the hardest to win. While the war had help grind the armies of all of its belligerents, each still possessed formidable forces; not to mention the continued local revolts that plagued the countryside directly threatening the Imperial coffers. In the end, things had come to a head where an absolute surrender simply could not be forced. All the while, the entire subcontinent had embraced a political quagmire, with each technically recognising different Emperors. As such the 'Three Kings Conference' held in Delhi helped to shape the fate of Hindustan, of Asia, and of the world.

The Conference itself certainly did not meet the standards of its nineteenth century counterpart, and in fact could be better represent as a rowdy group of would-be kings. The truth, however, is that those rowdy would-be kings held a vast amount of power, and included the elite of the Empire and beyond, as several people had held an interest in its results; there would have to be a formal treaty, and recognition of certain social and economic aspects that had come to being as a result of the war. For instance, the exact nature of the Emperor's spiritual power would have to be ascertained, given the developments in Lahore of the Khalsa; not to mention the new issues that arose with property and legal rights. Who would delegate power? How could the current revenue system be fixed? How could merchant monopolies be dwindled? How should 'Hindus' be treated? While the ensuing treaty would not answer any of those, it would play a big role in shaping the edicts that would follow.

Spirituality was very important throughout Hindustan's history from Antiquity to the present day; this could be seen in the upper echelons of society: the king and the caliph, hand in hand. Similarly, the lower echelons also enjoyed it, from groups of Sufi saints attracting cross-religious borders. Controlling inner spirituality was as much a key to controlling the land, as controlling temporal affairs, and while Akbar II may not have had a perfect understanding of this, Daniyal did. The strength of the Khalsa, divined through egalitarianism and religious autonomy held a lot of sway in Panjab, shifting the population away from the rigid structures that had prevailed before- large numbers of converts began to follow Guru Arjan Das, and by extension, Quwwatuddin. Most importantly, Khurasan began to truly enter the Imperial camp as Quwwatuddin was able to entice them in a way no previous Gurkani ruler had- to absolutely destroy the foundation of his new faith would have meant chaos in the northwestern reaches of the Empire. Furthermore, this absolute decree of religious autocracy also allowed the claimant a considerable degree of autonomy from the chafing restrictions of the orthodox ulema, of whom even Akbar-e-Azam felt enmity. And so, the question of faith entered everyone's minds as the proceedings began.

Din-e-Lahi, the Faith of the Divine, was written down as the official religion of every single subject of the Empire of Hindustan. Akbar II would be recognised as Caliph of the Faithful, and held final spiritual authority in matters of inner conscience- in this role, he was final arbiter on questions of justice; an important position that would merit further analysis in the section on the law. Under this facade, it was declared that all who follow any other creed would, as they stood on Hindustani soil, be under the Faith of the Divine, and subject to the authority of the Pir-e-Raushan, Akbar II, transferring all that authority from Quwwatuddin to himself. The document, curiously at the time, did not mention as to what exactly Din-e-Lahi was, simply that it was there. In essence, it meant that the entire subcontinent was under one faith, but underneath, it recognised all faiths under a single hierarchy; a Sikh or Hindu Guru, or a Muslim Imam were therefore within the authority of the Emperor as far as questions of education went, and this would be the biggest effect of this "change in religion".

The second quandary was to establish exactly what land the Empire occupied- in a noted compromise, it was established that all components of the treaty were applicable to the country of Hindustan, part of the Emperor's domains. This essentially meant that the Emperor was free to claim universal sovereignty as before, while also giving his actual empire guidelines through which to function. Of course, the treaty also did something else: it acted as something of a Constitution- this could be seen because of the necessity of establishing the powers of both the Emperor and the nobility in stone. Quwwatuddin, by successfully holding the loyalty of Khurasan and Panjab, held very valuable regions of the Empire; to remove him would not be so simple. In the end, a compromise was achieved which essentially transformed the Empire- the provinces of Kabul, Multan, Lahore, Kashmir, Ghazni and Kandahar were put under the administration of a nizam, as was Islamabad, Bengal, Bihar and the Twelve Tribes. The Nizamate of 'Afghanistan' was given to Quwwatuddin, while that of Bengal was given to Taj Khan Kharanni. To add to this, Dharmaraja was made Nizam of the Deccan, much to Daniyal's chagrin- this left the affairs of Ahmednagar, Bijapur and Golconda within Mysore's sphere. Akbar would wait until later to clarify exactly what this underlined.

The Empire's 'split' into autonomous regions within the treaty was not reflected in reality. While the Nizams held considerable power, and indeed were made responsible for the upkeep of soldiers and public works- the Emperor kept the power of delegating zamindaris, giving Fatehabad the full weight of the Imperial treasury. But this would also not come without its complications. The Nizams, in order to keep them under control, were to be present at the Divan at the Emperor's pleasure, and in their absence they were to always send a representative. Upon hearing of this, lesser nobles then asked why they were not allowed this perpetual counsel with the Shadow of God, to the Emperor's consternation. Ultimately, Salim drove a bargain in which the Emperor was to keep most of his powers, but be held responsible for his faults by the Divan- of course the choice of who would be named Grand Vizir did remain at the Sovereign's discretion. What Quwwatuddin possibly negotiated in was the creation of the Divan-e-Lahi, 'Court of the Divine', for the Emperor's closest advisers and vassals to function. Of course the tradeoff was that within unanimous consent, the Divan-e-Lahi could possibly stall the Emperor's ambitions.

Arguably, the two most important provision of the entire peace treaty were the future Fatwa-e-Akbari and the Firman-e-Hindiya- two very important documents that would set into stone the future of Hindustan.

wkm5219.jpg

The peace had not pleased everyone, but it had created provisions for change; a marked difference from the treaties of the past, and likely driven by the multilateral nature of the Great Gurkhani War. There was a need to insure the realm and its subjects- to unite its peoples through certain bounds and continue to centralise the administration. Arguably by splitting it into several sub-entities, the Empire was free to integrate core areas into Fatehabad's ambitions; allowing the troublesome fringes a certain kind of freedom. The system was not ideal, but it had helped to give potential breakaways in the stake of the Empire.

Emperor Akbar II had the unforgivable task of trying to govern a weakened state- not only were the soldiers considerably tired, but in many places, so was Imperial rule. Rampant corruption remained a problem, and villages mere kos away from the capital were not paying their taxes. Each village had different spiritual beliefs; each village had different governments; each village had different laws. According to Fatehabad, therein lay the problem; while in theory, allowing communities the chance to govern themselves was easier than attempting to bring everyone under the Emperor's umbrella, it fostered injustice; the lack of a formal hierarchy to help carry out the justice, and chiefly order, created the circumstances around which war simply resulted in chaos. As such, in concert with his chief advisers, the Emperor set out to codify the law, bringing in scholars from throughout both the Muslim world and Hindustan itself- some would later call this the Devil's Compromise, given that several laws would contradict Islamic jurisprudence and bring about something of a syncretic legal system to act as a parallel of an officially syncretic faith. By 1615, Hindustani agents were being sent out to gather judges, teachers and other men of merit; indeed even a man from the East India Company would be brought in- Francis Bacon.

The idea behind the Fatwa was to settle the question of legal power, not only by the Emperor, but by his subordinates: Akbar was in no demeanor where he would simply surrender all of his executive authority. However, wishing to circumvent the chaos of the war, he wished to create channels from where that power would emanate. As such, the previous system where the Emperor himself would directly hear any complaints was to be replaced with the Divan-e-Lahi formally advising the Emperor.

In other jurisdictions, such as a village, the Fatwa created a situation where panchayats and jirgas were recognised as valid tools of the law- but they had to be supplemented with judges educated within the bounds of Hindustan, replacing village elders. The system had already been in place on a limited scale in Mysore; now it was hoped that slowly knowledge would be disseminated throughout the realm. In a manner, it had done exactly that- by keeping the head judge mobile, many communities began to experience a sense of unity in guidelines.

To help complement these efforts, Akbar sponsored the creation of the 'maqtab-e-daulat', state schools that would impart a basic practical and theoretical education; these were intended to impart legal knowledge that transcended the Qur'an on its own and give equal voice to those of the faith and those who were not of it. A similar system already in place in Mysore served a precedent for Akbar's goal, and the new schools religiously stuck to the Fatwa-e-Akbari.

While most of the traditional ulema marked Akbar II as an apostate, in many ways it was Quwwatuddin who led these changes. With the Khalsa, he had created a new religious bond between indigenous faiths and Islam; being subsumed into the Din-e-Lahi did not do much to change that. In fact, the nature of schooling in the Sikh faith allowed the 'Din' maqtabs to gain popularity much quicker in Panjab, and Akbar officially tied together the title of pir-e-raushan with education throughout the Empire. Given the more or less multireligious nature of Hindustan and the lack of any clear orthodox candidates to challenge Akbar's rule, it had become a fait accompli that the Din-e-Lahi had essentially subsumed Islam on a formal level.

During the process of constructing the Fatwa, several advisers had their own input on the basic nature of the new legal system. What Francis Bacon brought to the table however, was to introduce advocacy. Whereas before, the defendant was responsible in conducting his own defence, now the task should be transferred to an educated professional. While seemingly an outsider's perspective, this was a necessity- the Fatwa created new laws, underlined those that were not so clear before, while also disregarding established practice; it simply would not have been possible for any Imperial subject to defend themselves adequately without help. The rise of the advocates would not only help protect the common subject, but also give rise to their voice on a grander scale; as much as the zamindar was the enforcer of this new rule of law, the advocate had enough power to seriously challenge that: it created a check and balance that would help remove corruption over time.

The addition of advocates would eventually create a new class of intellectuals who also had the ability to challenge established jurisprudence and even help suggest new laws; in fact the knowledge of the law would end up propelling many of them into the seat of the judge, and eventually over the years, into the Divan-e-Lahi. It also created a class of commenters and dissenters who would and did attack the Empire not only in an aggressive scheme to grab power, but to question the day-to-day realities of overtaxation, social issues, civil relationships, etiquette and corruption. In many ways, now the Emperor had created a check and balance to his very own rule. Though the full scale of this would only appear well after Akbar's death, it was quite revolutionary. In fact, many would argue that it remains so.

r65WSFw.jpg

The Firman-e-Hindiya (1618) could be seen as a constitution and framework for the powers of the Emperor with regards to his vassals- in many ways it expanded on that and established a 'New Empire' that differed immensely from the one before.

The Treaty of Fatehabad had concluded the war and established several realities for the Empire of Hindustan, but it was the Firman that truly entrenched the new state of affairs; the nobles were keen on preserving a state of affairs where they were able to dominate the Empire and counter the Emperor's power, all the while preserving a nexus around the Sovereign as a uniting figure. In this, they would largely succeed, and perhaps even exceed their hopes; the Emperor would never be as powerful temporally as Akbar-e-Azam. However, spiritually and legally, Akbar II had bound the emperor to the state.

The Firman formally established the role of Din-e-Lahi, which would be the creed of every single subject living within the Empire of Hindustan, no matter their beliefs; this meant that all Imperial subjects were subject to the same laws with regards to the state. It also established the Divan-e-Lahi as the legal lever of the Din-e-Lahi, consisting of the Nizams, and any other nobles named by the Emperor. In short, it directly tied the affairs of justice to the affairs of faith, and unified the Emperor as the final arbiter on all such decisions.

To help mitigate such an extraordinary amount of power, the nobles were able to extract certain conditions from the Emperor. Daniyal had explicitly included the clause that allowed the nobles to disobey the Emperor should he exceed the Firman, and also where the Divan-e-Lahi could unanimously reject the Emperor's chosen heir. It was hoped to also establish formal rules of succession, and while the Treaty of Fatehabad did state a few lines on the matter, the Firman clearly established that the heir must be nominated by the Emperor. In such a case where the Emperor did not name an heir prior to his passing, the Divan-e-Lahi retained the power to nominate the new Emperor within Timurid line.

With regards to the affairs of Empire, the Firman included a recognition of various issues concerning Hindustan, ranging from the conduct of the Imperial army, the new navy, and the use of mercenaries. It created guidelines for caste which essentially confirmed its existence, while also denying it certain privileges, and also the rule of law that was established by the Fatwa-e-Akbari. However, the Firman-e-Hindiya also changed the division of the provinces that occurred in the Treaty of Fatehabad. For one, it removed Golconda, Bijapur and Ahmednagar, and gave the Sultan of Golconda the title of Nizam of the Deccan, while making Dharmaraja Nizam of Mysore.
Furthermore, it divided the role of zamindar into the 'zamindar' and the 'taluqdar'. Under the new system, the taluqdar would become tax collector, with no holdings or lands issued in his name, while the zamindars would become landholders and essentially district officers, in charge of local infrastructure, education and most importantly, training the army; the hope was that the zamindar and taluqdar would work together in collecting and using taxes to help the Empire flourish from the ground up. Notably, it was hoped that the taluqdar, beholden to the Grand Vizir, while the zamindar was to the Nizam, could act as a check in case of corruption, while the latter could help protect local interests.

In many ways the new dynamic was to create a system of spies and recorders, designed to note down every little change in each district and notify the Vizir. However, it also led to a system where people arguably did receive just rule, replacing the insatiable leviathan that had preceded it. Far from being a mechanism to receive taxes, new districts were now treated as legitimate parts of a whole; in the end, it would lead to prosperity, as overall productivity would increase. Eventually, this would lead to small steps moving the Empire's administration back towards stability and overall centralisation.

Another huge stride taken towards prosperity was the initiation of mobility rights within the Firman-e-Hindiya, protecting travellers from being bribed or having their goods confiscated within the Empire. Because of the size of the Empire, it was necessary to encourage crosscontinental trade in order to keep subjects entwined and synchronised; in the end, it was to encourage unity. In fact, one might say it did, by mandating not only travel through better infrastructure (the Imperial Road, North Road and South Road), but also by encouraging private investment to help complement the state's work. For example, the private serais that began to pop up in the 1620s and 1630s, which would eventually lead to small towns producing themselves as pit stops on the major roads. In addition to this, the state was keen on increasing the importance of hundi, transferring debt from person to person throughout the Empire, but it was hoped to also help bring the system to par with hawala, thereby allowing Hindustani traders to compete much more efficiently against foreigners, and perhaps even achieve dominance throughout the Indian Ocean. Of course, another aspect of increasing opportunity was in allowing subjects operating outside of imperial borders greater freedom; for instance, any private trader operating in territories like Aceh would be allowed to hire mercenaries and conduct trade in that country without impediment, subject only to taxation upon return to Hindustani ports. Furthermore, the Firman also allowed for merchants to band together and experience favourable taxation, at least within the core territories of the Empire, along with the Nizamate of Bengal; this in effect would lead to the rise of the Lords of Islamabad (the 'Mogul Company') challenging the dominance of the Karavali Network in the transoceanic trade.

The Firman's role was in essence to rebuild the Empire and cast it in a new image designed to rule the entire Indian continent, and help to (paradoxically) centralise it, by allowing the Nizams to consolidate their own 'realms', and then for the Emperor to consolidate those into the Imperial fold. It was structure, branding the intricate military structure over the entire state, giving it a sense of efficiency, and manoeuvrability. By doing this, the Great Gurkhani War transformed the Gurkhani Empire into the Empire of Hindustan, giving considerable power to the nobles of the Empire to keep the Sovereign in check; in short, it took the Great Gurkhani War to build the Great Gurkhani Peace.

Last edited:
Nothing to say to this, except that update is the most thorough I've ever seen in any timeline. :eek:

Say, with Francis Bacon' advocacy taking root, will there be some traditionalist lord who will try and use it to uphold the caste system or some outdated social rules?

Wow! Those are some massive changes indeed. A monarchy more or less based on a constitution. That too a written one. The Mughals are surely a century ahead of the curve on that. It should bring an unprecedented level of stability and resilience to the administrative system in the Empire. It was historically prone to interruptions from Civil Wars/Succession Wars and being plagued by inefficiency to varying degrees, with said degrees depending upon the Emperors administrative skills. Perhaps these changes can lead to the emergence of an Imperial bureaucracy or even a House of Lords. Advocacy is a massive change as it could eventually lead to more respect and justice for the downtrodden, possibly even planting the seeds of a more democratic system inline withe the British monarchy to eventually emerge. Truly some impressive changes here. The effects of this new system will be massive on the future of Hindustan.

Also enabling merchants to hire mercenaries to protect trade could lead to Indian colonization, possibly of South East Asia. That is once the merchants can come together an form a 'company'. BTW aren't there already trading companies on the rise, like the Lords of Karavali and the Moghul Company?

Increased trans-subcontinental trade could help stabilize the economy and with the implementation of infrastructure projects like canals and roads. Better infrastructure had a very important role in helping usher in the industrial revolution in post enlightenment Europe. So instead of pulling a Meiji the Empire could be right beside its European contemporaries in in the industrialization process. More so if the 'Maqtab-e-Daulat' can evolve into universities to sate the demand for more educated people to serve as bureaucrats and advocated initially and eventually to provide artists to serve the nouveau riche merchant and artist class. Maybe eventually these Universities can give rise to scientists and even usher in a European inspired Enlightenment.

I just had an idea i don't know if its silly or ASB but just give it a go. 17th century Europe was not the most fun place to live in, there was an undercurrent of religious tension and that lead to the devastating 30 Years War, the Reformation and Counter-Reformation, not to mention the Inquisition. Intellectuals where persecuted and a lot of them emigrated to more permissive political climates. The list of persecuted scientists includes distinguished names such as Galileo, Giordano Bruno (burned at stake, 1600), Spinoza, even, to a small extent Newton, Kepler and Halley.
I wonder if some of them, even a tiny fraction, a handful could pull a Bacon and emigrate to India? If Bacon could have such a massive effect as to introduce advocacy, imagine what the other could do?
More importantly Hindustan back in early 1600s, even in OTL, was already one of the more tolerant places on the planet. They could very well immigrate thanks to increased trade links between India and the West. That could certainly help establish the institution of universities in Hindustan, albeit a bit more or less on Western lines. That could certainly help pull Hindustan out of the scientific, commercial and even social stagnation that had come to take root in the past few centuries. It could be the one catalyzing factor that brings about the downfall of the caste system and other social evils in India. Historically the only reason the Indian bourgeois elite instilled western ideas and values of humanism, reason and democracy because of the British being around in India for as long as they were. (As universal as these values are, surely its unlikely Indians would have adopted the western attitudes to those values in the early 18th century. It was eventually inevitable that such a social transformation might take place, but then it would be like in case of China or Japan, where the transformation would happen in the late 19th-early 20th century.

I love this idea of cultural syncretism that is emerging from this unique meeting point of East and West. Hindustan has always been a melting pot of cultures and immigrants, long before America became the land of the free and the home of the brave. In this TL will it get to retain its role and become the land were western ideas of values of humanism and reason meet the sense of community and service of the Khalsa, the all encompassing mystical message of love and compassion of the Sufi and the voluminous and yet transcendent philosophy of Hinduism? As for religion, what do you think are going to be? Will traditional Hinduism, as we witness today in OTL, die out? Or will it once again radically transform and become something ever more all encompassing, like it did with ?

Finally, what about China and Japan? Will the Qing dynasty come to power in china in the 1640s? Has Japan been unified under the Tokugawa Shogunate in 1603? I am just thinking aloud here but having three strong unified empires in Asia would not be very conducive to Western imperialism in Asia. Russia would still probably stretch to the pacific, maybe lose out on Vladivostok to either china or Japan, especially if either of them pulls an early reform inspired by the Empire. Korea is going to have a really bad time stuck like between a rock and a hard place. Who knows maybe Korea will reform too!

Sorry about the rant. But this TL is brilliant and the possibilities have me really excited. I am just someone finally did a proper TL of the Mughal Era.

BTW a minor nitpick. The word 'zamindar' means literally landowner. Or if more elaborately translated it means 'one who is in charge of the zamin (land)' I should know because i come from a family of them. So would it be more likely that the 'amir' and 'zamidar' would have their roles reversed if we go by the meaning of their job descriptions.

Anyways keep up the good work its really nice change to read something new, especially with all the ASOIAF ISOT and Operation Sealion 2.0 threads flying around on this forum. This is truly a volume of great work and quality, a piece of work that is a pleasure to read, and as such, Badshah, aap ko mera Salaam!

Ooh boy; lots to cover here.

Nothing to say to this, except that update is the most thorough I've ever seen in any timeline. :eek:

Say, with Francis Bacon' advocacy taking root, will there be some traditionalist lord who will try and use it to uphold the caste system or some outdated social rules?

Wow! Those are some massive changes indeed. A monarchy more or less based on a constitution. That too a written one. The Mughals are surely a century ahead of the curve on that. It should bring an unprecedented level of stability and resilience to the administrative system in the Empire. It was historically prone to interruptions from Civil Wars/Succession Wars and being plagued by inefficiency to varying degrees, with said degrees depending upon the Emperors administrative skills. Perhaps these changes can lead to the emergence of an Imperial bureaucracy or even a House of Lords. Advocacy is a massive change as it could eventually lead to more respect and justice for the downtrodden, possibly even planting the seeds of a more democratic system inline withe the British monarchy to eventually emerge. Truly some impressive changes here. The effects of this new system will be massive on the future of Hindustan.

For sure- the Divan-e-Lahi certainly functions somewhat as the House of Lords, however, the Firman and Fatwa should be taken more as the 'Magna Carta', than, say, the Constitution of the United States, or Poland-Lithuania. While the changes are broad, and will lead to changes on a mass level, a lot of power has simply now been concentrated in an empowered nobility's hands; the Emperor has a balance against him, and should the nobles as a whole decide he is too unwieldy, they can now essentially get rid of him- not so much the common populace.

Obviously with law and order being a lot more centralised, you will see the common people using it more effectively to protect themselves; this also comes with the blowback of higher caste subjects utilising the legal system to keep the lower castes in a weaker position; it would depend village to village atm.

Also enabling merchants to hire mercenaries to protect trade could lead to Indian colonization, possibly of South East Asia. That is once the merchants can come together an form a 'company'. BTW aren't there already trading companies on the rise, like the Lords of Karavali and the Moghul Company?

The Lords of Islamabad(Kolikata) are the Moghul Company; they are a slowly growing outfit designed to challenge Karavali's monopoly on Indian Ocean trade. While the Karavali Network is effectively protecting India from being flooded with foreign merchants, or the dominance of foreign ships, they're also strangulating domestic merchants who want to compete outside of India; that's a big nono.

No comment on SE Asia. ;)

Increased trans-subcontinental trade could help stabilize the economy and with the implementation of infrastructure projects like canals and roads. Better infrastructure had a very important role in helping usher in the industrial revolution in post enlightenment Europe. So instead of pulling a Meiji the Empire could be right beside its European contemporaries in in the industrialization process. More so if the 'Maqtab-e-Daulat' can evolve into universities to sate the demand for more educated people to serve as bureaucrats and advocated initially and eventually to provide artists to serve the nouveau riche merchant and artist class. Maybe eventually these Universities can give rise to scientists and even usher in a European inspired Enlightenment.

Yes, this TL was made to keep the Mughals, but really, a lot of Asia, on an equal scale to European advancement and in the industrialisation process.

The state schools are indeed universities, hoping to have something of a universal syllabus for postsecondary students, naturally there will be a growth of the educated class. Mysore's already seeing this on a limited scale, but in many ways were limiting access depending on social status (Untouchables were not allowed). The Mughals have the advantage of actually being able to admit students beyond caste- of course it will also be dependant on which town or city the maqtab is in.

I just had an idea i don't know if its silly or ASB but just give it a go. 17th century Europe was not the most fun place to live in, there was an undercurrent of religious tension and that lead to the devastating 30 Years War, the Reformation and Counter-Reformation, not to mention the Inquisition. Intellectuals where persecuted and a lot of them emigrated to more permissive political climates. The list of persecuted scientists includes distinguished names such as Galileo, Giordano Bruno (burned at stake, 1600), Spinoza, even, to a small extent Newton, Kepler and Halley.
I wonder if some of them, even a tiny fraction, a handful could pull a Bacon and emigrate to India? If Bacon could have such a massive effect as to introduce advocacy, imagine what the other could do?
More importantly Hindustan back in early 1600s, even in OTL, was already one of the more tolerant places on the planet. They could very well immigrate thanks to increased trade links between India and the West. That could certainly help establish the institution of universities in Hindustan, albeit a bit more or less on Western lines. That could certainly help pull Hindustan out of the scientific, commercial and even social stagnation that had come to take root in the past few centuries. It could be the one catalyzing factor that brings about the downfall of the caste system and other social evils in India. Historically the only reason the Indian bourgeois elite instilled western ideas and values of humanism, reason and democracy because of the British being around in India for as long as they were. (As universal as these values are, surely its unlikely Indians would have adopted the western attitudes to those values in the early 18th century. It was eventually inevitable that such a social transformation might take place, but then it would be like in case of China or Japan, where the transformation would happen in the late 19th-early 20th century.

Before I begin on the rest, with Bacon's advocacy catching on, it was largely because of Prince Daniyal's support (not mentioned in the book). Despite having good or even great ideas, the fact remains that this is still an autocratic empire, and the nobles would be resistant to bringing in change.

With that out of the way, I can also say that you will see individual nobles supporting foreign ideas, and possibly 'Indianising' them to a degree so they gain the support of other influential nobles.

You might see parallel ideas flow along with the West- perhaps not totally similar, but in spirit. I do think that because of the vast diversity of faiths and backgrounds on the subcontinent, you will have people challenge social, economic, and scientific norms, and things like the state schools will only increase people wanting to do that. However, I had established that we might see Indian soldiers in Europe and vice versa as well, via mercenaries, traders and a slew of others who will be crosspollinating ideas. India will receive word of humanist, 'Enlightenment'-like ideas, but Europe will also receive Indian ideas; for example, upper classes might prefer to institute murder not as a crime against the state, but as a civil settlement; this would grant them a lot of weight against their poorer countrymen. Similarly, hundi and havala will travel to Europe, and you will see some instances of pantheism, and religious plurality being accepted in a lot of places a tad bit earlier than OTL.

Bacon's gained the ability to travel because of his association with the EIC, so you won't see a lot at first- but you will see more people moving back and forth as time goes on.

I love this idea of cultural syncretism that is emerging from this unique meeting point of East and West. Hindustan has always been a melting pot of cultures and immigrants, long before America became the land of the free and the home of the brave. In this TL will it get to retain its role and become the land were western ideas of values of humanism and reason meet the sense of community and service of the Khalsa, the all encompassing mystical message of love and compassion of the Sufi and the voluminous and yet transcendent philosophy of Hinduism? As for religion, what do you think are going to be? Will traditional Hinduism, as we witness today in OTL, die out? Or will it once again radically transform and become something ever more all encompassing, like it did with ?

India will be a melting pot, but far from the only one; in terms of ideas, philosophy, education et al, there will be crosspollination throughout the world.

Finally, what about China and Japan? Will the Qing dynasty come to power in china in the 1640s? Has Japan been unified under the Tokugawa Shogunate in 1603? I am just thinking aloud here but having three strong unified empires in Asia would not be very conducive to Western imperialism in Asia. Russia would still probably stretch to the pacific, maybe lose out on Vladivostok to either china or Japan, especially if either of them pulls an early reform inspired by the Empire. Korea is going to have a really bad time stuck like between a rock and a hard place. Who knows maybe Korea will reform too!

On China, I'm thinking of a Qing North and a Ming South, with the Qing continuing to be focused on the areas to their immediate north; they might also retain a lot of their own traditions to a greater degree than OTL as a result.

Japan has been united by the Tokugawa Shogunate.

With regard to Russia and the Pacific, within my plans, I'm going to say a no to that- I'm exploring possibilities in the country, and if they are in fact plausible, then they will have more to worry about than getting to the other side of the continent.

BTW a minor nitpick. The word 'zamindar' means literally landowner. Or if more elaborately translated it means 'one who is in charge of the zamin (land)' I should know because i come from a family of them. So would it be more likely that the 'amir' and 'zamidar' would have their roles reversed if we go by the meaning of their job descriptions.

Replaced amir with zamindar and zamindar with taluqdar.

Sorry about the rant. But this TL is brilliant and the possibilities have me really excited. I am just someone finally did a proper TL of the Mughal Era.
Thanks. I try, and I'm sorry that it takes so long to write; almost two years without much of a timeshift. :eek:

Dang lawyers. :p

I'm guessing that Bacon's influence will play a part in the advocates becoming an independent political class, because he'll bring the idea of common law with him (although Islamic jurisprudence will also be an example).