Building an Earth-like World Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how it looks. This is how some of the currents in the area could look like, a cold polar stream comes from the east, gets warmed up in the equator and goes south, warming up the island chain and the coast of the antarctic peninsula, then goes around the antarctic continent again.

BAEW2.png

Tried something else a little different in terms of geography and have attempted to draw a mid-ocean ridge which has surfaced in the north. I based it off the shape of the submerged Mid-Atlantic ridge in our world. It could help explain the deep southern bulge in the middle continent.

I've also come up with some names if people want reference:

The Saturnine Hydra - Middle continent formed from ring debris.

Styxkiss - Exposed ridge, which somewhat resembles lips in shape.

bew2c.png

That ring is going to make things interesting from a geopolitical standpoint. And the guy who controls the straits is going to be a very rich man. I approve. Though maybe a small Island in the middle of the strait. That'd give a certain emphasis on a naval power in control there.

That ring is going to make things interesting from a geopolitical standpoint. And the guy who controls the straits is going to be a very rich man. I approve. Though maybe a small Island in the middle of the strait. That'd give a certain emphasis on a naval power in control there.

It is quite interesting, the cities on both sides of the straits will grow to be quite large from the trade. Thinking about the biome and the environment of the area though, it'd be either tropical, desert or some kind of mountainous area with diverse vegetation. I imagine a lot of the land in the Ring would be hilly.

Here's my proposal for part of the middle-eastern land mass. Big, arid blob. Dry, tundra in the south, mountain range in the north, massive deserts in the middle, tropical rainforest northern Ring coast.

The big blob and the Ring plates are pushing into eachother.

Just an ugly draft, will make prettier if people agree. The coastlines as usual are just placeholders.

BAEW proposal.png

It is quite interesting, the cities on both sides of the straits will grow to be quite large from the trade. Thinking about the biome and the environment of the area though, it'd be either tropical, desert or some kind of mountainous area with diverse vegetation. I imagine a lot of the land in the Ring would be hilly.

Maybe the Saturnine Hydra (Ring) region could be similar to New Guinea in our world, a tropical biome with a highland cordillera crossing the centre.

Here's the small island...

Great. I'm not sure it'd be big enough for the capital of a major naval power (maybe some slightly bigger islands to the South?) but it'd still allow control of the strait without being at risk from an invasion by land in either direction.

Also maybe to the east the ring could meet up with a larger continent to the north. I'm thinking something suitable for a lot of steppes and savannah. Maybe with an offshoot to the north-west allowing some more temperate forests analogous to north-western Europe.

Yeah uh could we not go with the ring thing?

Why not? It's something you see rarely and it creates some very interesting climates and geo-political landscapes.

Also maybe to the east the ring could meet up with a larger continent to the north. I'm thinking something suitable for a lot of steppes and savannah. Maybe with an offshoot to the north-west allowing some more temperate forests analogous to north-western Europe.

This sounds pretty much how I imagined it.

Why not? It's something you see rarely and it creates some very interesting climates and geo-political landscapes.

This sounds pretty much how I imagined it.

I'm also mostly against it mainly because we don't know how it works. We have nothing to go off of to predict how it will affect things like plate movement or winds, currents, climates, etc. I think its a fun idea and we could use the N/S segmentation as a good thing, however perhaps push the ring collapse back 100 million years into the past to cause a bit more deformation than is urgently being applied. Also, make it so that it didn't unimaginably luckily not hit a single large continent anywhere but on their ends. Perhaps in the west make the continent the polar continent is smashing into extend far to the north of to equitorial ring, turning the west passage into a large bay or something. The other thing is, by altering the breadth of the ring across its length we can have more openings.

I'm also mostly against it mainly because we don't know how it works. We have nothing to go off of to predict how it will affect things like plate movement or winds, currents, climates, etc. I think its a fun idea and we could use the N/S segmentation as a good thing, however perhaps push the ring collapse back 100 million years into the past to cause a bit more deformation than is urgently being applied. Also, make it so that it didn't unimaginably luckily not hit a single large continent anywhere but on their ends. Perhaps in the west make the continent the polar continent is smashing into extend far to the north of to equitorial ring, turning the west passage into a large bay or something. The other thing is, by altering the breadth of the ring across its length we can have more openings.

Eh, sure, we can make it more deformed. Feel free to post some proposals, don't have time to edit a decent one right now. E: Actually I'll whip something up to make it appear that way.

Last edited:
I think the middle and eastern parts look better now, there was something there but it has slowly broken apart as it drifted south to collide with the southeastern continent.

Didn't touch the west.

BAEW proposal 2.png

Oh hai, can I chime in?

I realize you haven't started to add the relief yet, but from what I see, that equatorial continent will be covered by jungle. Massive, diverse and wild jungle (if there are high mountains/swamps, it would be also be unpenetrable. There would be some rainshadows, like Atacama and the Puna though...). Keep that in mind: we are talking like, four Amazons here? The diversity of life would be unparalleled on Earth.

Also, the event that created the continent would have inevitably have caused a mass extinction like the Permian-Triassic one, and thus changed the history of life on this planet. Of course, by this point, life will have recovered.

I offer my services as a partial-not-quite-yet biologist if anyone wants cool/realistic ideas for life on this planet. :D

I like the new map better. Any thoughts on the exposed ridge to the north though? I think I can fix it up a little more to make it look more pretty but it was difficult to draw the details. Planetocopia's Capsica has a good example of an exposed ridge so I'll reference from that if I modify it.

I like the new map better. Any thoughts on the exposed ridge to the north though? I think I can fix it up a little more to make it look more pretty but it was difficult to draw the details. Planetocopia's Capsica has a good example of an exposed ridge so I'll reference from that if I modify it.

I don't know, maybe the exposed ridge could be a river valley in some continent instead, more of a elevation feature than one in the middle of an ocean.

Oh hai, can I chime in?

Of course.

I realize you haven't started to add the relief yet, but from what I see, that equatorial continent will be covered by jungle. Massive, diverse and wild jungle (if there are high mountains/swamps, it would be also be unpenetrable. There would be some rainshadows, like Atacama and the Puna though...). Keep that in mind: we are talking like, four Amazons here? The diversity of life would be unparalleled on Earth.

With the current setup we'd have like 4-5 different rainforests, unless some of the landmasses are exceptionally dry. I'd like there to be some dry desert/savannah there, dunno how to make it be though.

Last edited:
Like East Africa? Wasn't quite what I had in mind but it could be connected to a continent I suppose. I would still want to see the odd relief of the landmass visible though as that was the whole point.

Here's my proposal for part of the middle-eastern land mass. Big, arid blob. Dry, tundra in the south, mountain range in the north, massive deserts in the middle, tropical rainforest northern Ring coast.

The big blob and the Ring plates are pushing into eachother.

Just an ugly draft, will make prettier if people agree. The coastlines as usual are just placeholders.

I'm not entirely opposed to it, thou the region that I made was intended to be a bit of a slightly chillier east asia-ish climate. What it we moved the mountains/desert over a tiny bit, and had the 'dessert' be more of a steepe fading into desert combo?

I'm not entirely opposed to it, thou the region that I made was intended to be a bit of a slightly chillier east asia-ish climate. What it we moved the mountains/desert over a tiny bit, and had the 'dessert' be more of a steepe fading into desert combo?

Yeah, I also had that in mind. Or we can just skip on it being dry, have the mountain range there, separating the rainforests from the temperate steppes/forestlands of the middle of the continent. Another thing would be to make the mountain range larger, ala Tibet type.

Status
Not open for further replies.