Building an Earth-like World Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do people think of a proposal of a lot of shallow seas? As in, the arrangement of the continents provides a large amount of the open ocean lying atop continental shelves.It already looks like the southern continent is moving north and colliding with the western continent, producing a chain of mountainous islands along the convergent boundary of the plate shelves. That whole sea would be shallow and duplicate that or something similar a couple more times and suddenly the world is a lot more interesting. Ideally the islands would have to be edited and aligned slightly for this to occur though.

I like that idea! I think it looks much better than the islands in the original map.

What do people think of a proposal of a lot of shallow seas? As in, the arrangement of the continents provides a large amount of the open ocean lying atop continental shelves.It already looks like the southern continent is moving north and colliding with the western continent, producing a chain of mountainous islands along the convergent boundary of the plate shelves. That whole sea would be shallow and duplicate that or something similar a couple more times and suddenly the world is a lot more interesting. Ideally the islands would have to be edited and aligned slightly for this to occur though.

EDIT: Here's a patch of that. The arrangement may look less organic but it has a definite geological reason and will allow some really neat things.

This is an interesting proposal. What do you imagine the topography to be like?

The part that Empty posted looks good, the shallow sea part sounds good, but other than that I don't agree with the big blob continents. They just look like blobs with random appendages that don't provide any sense in the geographical sense.

If we'd also have another polar landmass the planet would be a snowball, pretty ASB for humans.

Last edited:
I'm gonna support that notion. The Islands between the south pole and the first bit of the continent (mostly) are fine, but the rest is not only problematic and out of place, but this is supposed to be a gradual, shared project where we all discuss things out and build it up together aye? one giant undisputed blob per post doesn't seem very practical for that, nor fun for that matter.

As for the poles, I think we'd be looking at Hoth.

Alright. How about a ring of islands around the north pole?

Not really a problem, couldn't be much worst then Siberia, Greenland and the Canadian icetray, but I'd really recommend placing them, at least in general, as we go, rather then all in a single post with no idea what else is gonna be up there.

Alright. How about a ring of islands around the north pole?

That sounds good, maybe one of the continents is pretty close to the area.

Well, if this is roughly what we have thought about, we could continue from here.

I moved some islands around so the archipelago doesn't look so square.

Would the two biggest islands just end there and be islands, or should they maybe be the end of a larger peninsula for another continent?

About the environment, if the middle islands are quite volcanic, mountainous and we add some warm current coming to the area to also warm the Antarctic peninsula, we could have some funky flora there. Quite temperate for the area.

but I'd really recommend placing them, at least in general, as we go, rather then all in a single post with no idea what else is gonna be up there.

We should add like ~1000 miles of coast at a time and work on the general shape together, that way everyone is happy and we have time to discuss how the area would be like.

BAEW.png

Last edited:
That sounds good, maybe one of the continents is pretty close to the area.

Well, if this is roughly what we have thought about, we could continue from here.

I moved some islands around so the archipelago doesn't look so square.

Would the two biggest islands just end there and be islands, or should they maybe be the end of a larger peninsula for another continent?

About the environment, if the middle islands are quite volcanic, mountainous and we add some warm current coming to the area to also warm the Antarctic peninsula, we could have some funky flora there. Quite temperate for the area.

We should add like ~1000 miles of coast at a time and work on the general shape together, that way everyone is happy and we have time to discuss how the area would be like.

I think those larger islands you mentioned should be the peninsulas of a larger continent. Also can you make a map of the islands around the north pole? I'm not really good at making maps.

Also can you make a map of the islands around the north pole?

Well I added some on the left side, they'd be pretty frozen. You can add more on the other side if you want or move these around.

Maybe the coast of the larger continent is near, as marked with a line.

BAEW - Copy.png

hel_by_64cartridge-d83m6f8.png

The start of another continent? perhaps? relocate, shape, size or otherwise do anything if need be. It's loosely based on the area around Manchura/Korea/Japan, hopefully that's not to obvious. Also meant to be a little cooler (at least around the Korea-Japan analogous), but not to such an extant that its a huge hindrance to the development of the area. Looking at it, the whole thing might be better, if it stays relatively the same, be best moved o're westward a bit? or more then a bit, along with the little island that the archipelago sorta joined onto that was there before my contribution.

or more then a bit, along with the little island that the archipelago sorta joined onto that was there before my contribution.

It might look better on the opposite side of the archipelago in the middle, maybe rotated to face the archipelago. The lefthand side of the map doesn't have much room for anything big, it doesn't look nice if you have to cross the side line.

The equator continent idea I suggested earlier. Not sure what would create it, maybe it is similar to the ridge on Iapetus and could have been caused by a former ring which slowly disintegrated and fell into the planet, leaving a rocky rim around the equator. It would have to be a rather recent event, as tectonic plates are only just starting to shift it in the west where a piece of the long continent deviates south of the equator line.

bew2.png

Just another idea. Maybe the fall of the ring was accompanied by the fall of a large low-orbiting moon, which fragmented and left a large double crater formation just around the equator (on the western side). This would have resulted in some kind of extinction most likely so that'd have to be taken into account if the idea is kept.

bew2a.png

I like the second picture, but the event sounds too recent if the tectonics havn't moved it yet. Maybe more of a deformed ring that's already fused into some continents due to continental drift.

Like the middle part curves down to fuse into the southern work in progress continent, the westernmost part cuts off, etc. With 3 or so passages, the currents will be interesting.

I like the second picture, but the event sounds too recent if the tectonics havn't moved it yet. Maybe more of a deformed ring that's already fused into some continents due to continental drift.

Like the middle part curves down to fuse into the southern work in progress continent, the westernmost part cuts off, etc. With 3 or so passages, the currents will be interesting.

I've modified it according to your suggestions. Is this better?

bew2b.png

Status
Not open for further replies.