Building an Earth-like World Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow, I actually really like the shape of that. Any real world biomes or areas of reference you'd compare the environment(s) on the Peninsula to?

Any real world biomes or areas of reference you'd compare the environment(s) on the Peninsula to?

I'm thinking the top half would be thick with spruce tree forest, not a bit but completely filled with them, then it starts to get more and more arctic the southern you go. Maybe the bay on the right is warm enough to also be forested. Think of Finnish and Siberian biomes.

The northern coast could be birch/spruce tree forest, swamplands and some grasslands.

This is so a kink of mine.

Here's a rough alpha proposal of an Antarctic landmass. Maybe the bulge is somewhat bigger because it doesn't look like there'd be much temperate land there, maybe make it longer and say it's moving towards or from the Antarctic landmass.

I quite like that, the edges just need to be roughed up a bit.

I'm thinking the top half would be thick with spruce tree forest, not a bit but completely filled with them, then it starts to get more and more arctic the southern you go. Maybe the bay on the right is warm enough to also be forested. Think of Finnish and Siberian biomes.

The northern coast could be birch/spruce tree forest, swamplands and some grasslands.

Sounds excellent, would it be at all comparable to Southern Patagonia perhaps? Any idea to where the treeline might be? I've been sorta assuming that the 'tundra' areas start showing up fairly close to the 'arm'.

I quite like that, the edges just need to be roughed up a bit.

Yeh, that's the idea, we post these rough drafts for the whole map first, then start on the coastlines and work to finer details from there.

Sounds excellent, would it be at all comparable to Southern Patagonia perhaps? Any idea to where the treeline might be? I've been sorta assuming that the 'tundra' areas start showing up fairly close to the 'arm'.

I'm thinking southern Patagonia is a bit too arid and open for this place, might we say the southern and middle parts of the peninsula are quite mountainous if it's indeed colliding with the Antarctic continent.

Something like this for the treeline and mountain ranges.

l8cEKqh (1).png

Last edited:
What about an equatorial continent that wraps all the way around or nearly so, cutting the world into northern and southern seas with maybe a small natural canal in the middle somewhere where both seas can connect? I haven't seen that done very often and it sounds interesting.

Yeh, that's the idea, we post these rough drafts for the whole map first, then start on the coastlines and work to finer details from there.

I'm thinking southern Patagonia is a bit too arid and open for this place, might we say the southern and middle parts of the peninsula are quite mountainous if it's indeed colliding with the Antarctic continent.

Something like this for the treeline and mountain ranges.

You know, it actually sorta reminds me of Kamchatka based on the description so far.

Hey I also have an interest in helping in this project if people don't have any objections. Just out of interest can someone elaborate on what this world will be about in the sense of realistic/Fantasy. Obviously I'm not suggesting magic/elves/dwarfs just trying to get some form of bearings.

I quite liked some of Miranda Brawner continents so I have merged a few of them together I'm pretty happy with the results, I have also added another continent to the West. Please tell me what you think of the two. :)

skMzyB9.png

I quite liked some of Miranda Brawner continents so I have merged a few of them together I'm pretty happy with the results, I have also added another continent to the West. Please tell me what you think of the two. :)

Well, it's too much. For continents more significant than north or south poles or island chains you kinda need a lot of people to pitch in on the shape so that everyone is happy. Not saying that nobody can edit my proposal, it's free for all to make better.

Hmmmm, really? warmer? I actually quite like that. I figured the placement of the treeline would have meant it would have been colder.

Well maybe with some warm current the coast could be warmer, while the interior quickly cools off. I can already see the viking hordes that the peninsula could breed.

Last edited:
How about a faster speed of rotation for more climate bands that are narrower? It would vary the climate more and be rather original for these world building attempts. Say around a 14 hour day with 5 convection loops for hemisphere instead of three? Alternatively, we could go with a slower rotation.

Here's a rough outline of the arctic continent including the other proposals. The borders of my continent are rough outlines and don't represent the final form. Thoughts?

2wx95MT.png

What do people think of a proposal of a lot of shallow seas? As in, the arrangement of the continents provides a large amount of the open ocean lying atop continental shelves.It already looks like the southern continent is moving north and colliding with the western continent, producing a chain of mountainous islands along the convergent boundary of the plate shelves. That whole sea would be shallow and duplicate that or something similar a couple more times and suddenly the world is a lot more interesting. Ideally the islands would have to be edited and aligned slightly for this to occur though.

EDIT: Here's a patch of that. The arrangement may look less organic but it has a definite geological reason and will allow some really neat things.

shallowseaconvergence.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.