An Islamic "On the Origin of Species"

Keenir

Banned
The Islamic golden age didn't have a technological base to present them with the problems Origin explained, much as Einsteins work would have been just hot air in the mid 19th century without the need to explain the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment (and others), which in turn relied on beam-splitter technology not developed till the late 19th century...

I would think the Dar Al Islam would have two advantages over Europe:
  • geographic diversity....the fauna changes considerably from China and Indonesia to Africa and Spain.
  • Deep Time....look at the fossil record - for example, Ankarapithecus, a flat-faced prehomonid, comes from the middle of Anatolia.

Keenir

Banned
I thought he has 99, starting with the compassionate and ending with the patient, and a hundreth unkown name.

he does, but what they're reacting to here, is a grammatical error. (we all make one eventually)

its like, "And now Mr Sir Teacher will write his name on the chalkboard."
("Allah" simply means "God")

he does, but what they're reacting to here, is a grammatical error. (we all make one eventually)

its like, "And now Mr Sir Teacher will write his name on the chalkboard."
("Allah" simply means "God")

Yeah, AFAIK, "Allah" is really just the Arabic word for God, and it's usage actually predates the emergence of Islam by quite a bit, and Arabic Christians also commonly use the word "Allah" for God.

We're not talking about outside the Euro-Mediterranean region, obviously. The Dark Ages is approximately from the fall of the Roman Empire to 1000. All ages vary in the applicability in different parts of Europe - for example, the Baroque began and ended earlier in Italy than in Germany.

It's hard to characterize the period between the Fall and the Carolingian Renaissance as anything but "Dark", at least in comparison to what preceded it.

Well yeah, but a good chunk of these "Dark Ages" could also be classified still as a part of Antiquity. The peculiar part is though that the 'golden age' if you will of Byzantium falls right into that time.

I would think the Dar Al Islam would have two advantages over Europe:
  • geographic diversity....the fauna changes considerably from China and Indonesia to Africa and Spain.
  • Deep Time....look at the fossil record - for example, Ankarapithecus, a flat-faced prehomonid, comes from the middle of Anatolia.

About geographic civersity, don't forget Madagascar. That place is very fascinating due to being a 'world apart' where things evolved quite differently.

What about Ibn Khaldun, who wrote the Muqqaddimah?
The book was mostly about how changes over time influence history (evolutionary history, if you will), but he very almost touched upon biological evolution in one part of his book. With only a minor stretch, you could easily have the theory of evolution in the late 1300s.
Just throwing this back out there. I think this might actually be a productive thought.