Just wondering but will you incorporate any elements from Viland Saga into this series?
Didn't really think about that actually. Not sure, I've been thinking too much on how to do the next update while not making it sound boring and the upcoming classical age of the Wampanoag empire.

Didn't really think about that actually. Not sure, I've been thinking too much on how to do the next update while not making it sound boring and the upcoming classical age of the Wampanoag empire.
Really, then how about telling it in context of being adapted in the future of this timeline as a movie and animated series

Will the next updates continue with character focused story that we’ve seen so far, or sort of zoom out to a more history book like narrative on the growth of Viking tech in North America?

The latter is obviously harder to make interesting, but in the right way it can be interesting. I would hope we get a lot more time with the natives before we see more contact with the East.

Will the next updates continue with character focused story that we’ve seen so far, or sort of zoom out to a more history book like narrative on the growth of Viking tech in North America?

The latter is obviously harder to make interesting, but in the right way it can be interesting. I would hope we get a lot more time with the natives before we see more contact with the East.
Think of it like JoJo's bizarre adventure.
There's a protagonist we see until he dies and moving onto another protagonist with bits of background between characters.

Chapter 17
Early Winter, 1087

Jarl Snorri Thorfinnsson watched as the birds zoomed around him, chirping and tweeting. He whistled at them, watching his misty breath float away as a small cloud. He missed watching the boats sail past in Botnborg, the way the sun glittered off the water at sunrise. The way the fishermen would smile and show him their catch of the day. But at least the markets in Wampanaogborg were kinda like home. After resting up for a few weeks, he felt strong enough to take a stroll. He liked the market district, the smells, the sights, the locals. The mouthwatering scent of cooked fish and goat drifted lazily towards him, drawing him to a booth manned by an attractive Skraeling woman.
"My, that smells wonderful."
"Thank you, Jarl Snorri of the Norse."
"Did your husband catch these fish?"
"No, actually I have a friend up in Nyhöfn who gives me a share of his catch so I can sell at my stall. He in turn gets a small share of my profits I make."
"Oh. Do you have a husband?" She smiled at him softly and cocked her head.
"Not like that! Trust me, I'm a little old to.. you know."
"My husband is serving in the Sachem's grand army and is currently occupying the southern swamps. I have this stall so I'm not bored out of my mind." She paused. "You Norse certainly have gotten the hand of our tongue."
"You're the only people around for rôst in any direction. We kinda had to. What else were we going to do? Subjugate your entire tribe and force them to learn our language? We wouldn't have the people!"
She agreed with his assessment. "Then we'd have to kill you and your people. That would mean we wouldn't have this." She gestured to the city as a whole.
"Speaking of which, did you visit the Longhouse of Stories? Yet?"
"I went back during the last summer. Why?"
"They just unveiled a new animal hide. You should see it, its pretty amazing."

She wasn't wrong. In vivid detail, the markings on the tanned deer hide told the story of the war with the invaders who came after Snorri's father. It showed the sacking of several villages before the combined Norse/Skraeling army attacked the city of Nyholfn and defeated the rival warriors from across the ocean. Beofre it was a colorful tapesty of Botnborg make depicting the rule of Jarl Thorfinn Karlsefni, Snorri's father. The tapestry showed one of the earlier Sachems smoking a peace pipe with Thorfinn and the peace agreement, and the first Althing in Vinland. It showed his death, and the crowing of Snorri. He was impressed. He assumed that he would get his own tapestry when he finally died. He went wandering around the wooden building. Scrolls and leather bound books with animal skin pages were safely stored in shelves, including a Norse/Skraeling bible. He flipped through the pages, looking at how his now dead genius brother had used the closest sounding letters to develop a language for the natives to convert them more easily. He noticed for the frst time how some words had been changed for the Wampanoag audience. King Herod became Chief Herod and any mentions of the Pharaoh had been changed to Sachem. And Caesar Augustus was... still Caesar Augustus. I guess the more.. regal ones stay the same? He thought to himself.

He roamed from shelf to shelf. Since the introduction of writing, the tribes had an explosion of new ideas emerging. Historical records galore were made to describe their early leaders that they could still remember. The myths (or truths, depending on which person you asked) were put to paper. Stories told by both the natives and the Norse were made into books. One of the tribe members had even written a short play. It was incredibly short, but it was new all the same. Snorri once again thought about his people's effect on the skraelings and their culture. He saw one of the elders leading a group of children around, showing them the murals and telling them the stories of what they represented. One child asked if more invaders would come across the ocean to their shores. Snorri slid a book back into its place as he listened.

Good question.

Last edited:
Examples of buildings one would see in Vinland in 1087

220px-Borg_Vestv%C3%A5g%C3%B8y_LC0165.jpg
A Norse longhouse, which would eventually be adopted by some Wampanoag
220px-Borgund_stavkirke.JPG
A typical Vinland church after Iron sources were discovered n the 1030s.
220px-Stave_church_Borgund_interior.jpg
The interior of a Nordic Church

LAM_turf_house.jpg
Another example of Nordic homes in Vinland

2ca3b38cfcc92de3c7318db02dc9e03c.jpg
outskirts of the city of Botnborg

8493.jpg
Another example of a Nordic church.

Wetu-23.jpg
A wampanoag home during the summer months (AKA a Wetu)
Wetu-2.jpg
The interior of a Wetu
large-wetu.jpg
A Nush Wetu, aka a winter Wampanoag home, which could hold several families and three fires.

Chapter 18
Spring, 1087

The snow was starting to thaw, and the weather was gradually getting warmer. And Tisquantum's trial at the Althing was supposed to start yesterday. Instead, here he laid in a bed in Wampanoagborg, shivering and sweating under a heap of furs. Snorri, Sokanon, and the Great Sachem stood in the doorway while Namumpum knelt beside his son, holding his hand and talking to him. A medicine man stood with them. Snorri decided to speak. "What's wrong with him?"
"He is very sick. He's been suffering from joint pain and a severe rash for months. Something he caught while hunting." The medicine man glanced at Tisquantum. "Going untreated, his body became weaker and weaker. Now he's suffering from shakes and has a high fever."
Sokanon bit his lip before asking his own question.
"Will he live?" The medicine man slowly shook his head. "The boy is a dead man walking. His pride and arrogance kept him from coming to the Healing Hall to see me or any of the other healers. I expect him to die within the next few days. I pray to Kehtannit that I'm wrong." The medicine man sighed and left the room. The window allowed a beautiful view, which only served as a contrast to Tisquantum and Namumpum's fates. Snorri and his two friends left the building, wanting to leave a grieving father alone with his son.

Snorri returned later that night, long after when the sun vanished over the horizon. Nampumum was still there, just as expected. A candle poorly illuminated the chamber, shadows danced on the walls. Tisquantum was still shaking, but that was also as to be expected. Snorri didn't want to be here, but he was all the same.
"Namumpum." The skraeling's back stiffened,
"You and I do not get along. At all. As a matter of fact, I think you're an @$$hole. But... I am sorry. I am very sorry for what has happened to you. I'm a father as well, and I would be devastated if my Thorgeir was suffering from the same affliction." Snorri's eyes fell to the floor for a moment before rising back up. "I don't hate you. Nor do I hate your son. I would not wish this on any father." By now, Namumpum was looking at Snorri, his mouth opening wordlessly. Snorri held up a hand. "Don't say anything. Not one word. I just came to say I'm sorry and.. to give you this." With a soft thud, Snorri dropped a leather bound bible on the bed. "I found solstice in scripture after the passing of my brother and my wife. Perhaps... perhaps you too can find peace." Without another word, Snorri left the room.

Summer, 1087

The church was filled with the harmony of three hundred Christians singing hymns, their voices rising to the rafters. While Botnborg was the religious center of the Wampanoag Confederacy, Wampanoagborg boasted its own impressive cathedral. Lacking any large windows, the building was illuminated with thousands of small candles. The scent of tobacco waffed in the air, slowly oozing from small iron lanterns as small amounts of plant burned inside. A proper replacement for incense in this corner of the world. After the service, Snorri saw Namumpum exiting the building after speaking with the father. It was unusual, seeing as he was always an opponent of the Norse foreign God and the faith as a whole. Snorri thought about chasing him down, but he lost the Skraeling chief in the crowd.

Winter, 1087

Snow was falling gently. All across the domain of the Wampanoag was white with snow, and the christian subjects were taking the time to celebrate. But this year, Bishop Faltheim was putting together something different. In the capital of the growing empire, the bishop had organized a play about the life of Jesus. Snorri wouldn't miss it for the world. It was almost the pinnacle of his brother's life work. For a first time play put on by the church, It was rather enjoyable. Snorri got a kick out of his fellow Norse playing the roman occupiers and the Great Sachem himself playing Jesus, wailing on a cross. Though the costumes and armor were certainly out of place, Snorri was sure the romans didn't dress like vikings, he greatly appreciated the story. When "Jesus" rose from the "dead", Bishop Faltheim stood in front of the crowd and asked everyone to quiet down and gestured for a large wooden tub filled with water to be brought forth.
"My children, I hope you have enjoyed the performance. But now, I have a very special announcement to make; an opponent, a non believer, has asked to join our ranks among the faithful. Long has he despised us, the flock of the lamb, but he is now ready to renounce his ways for he has seen the light of God." Namumpum walked to the center of the stage, prompting shocked whispers in the audience. His usual attire had been replaced with simple white robes.
"Namumpum, do you accept Jesus into your heart and be washed of your sins so you may be born again?"
"I do."
"Then by the powers invested in me by the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, I declare you reborn and absolved of your sins." The Bishop himself submerged Namumpum into the water. He raised him back up, Namumpum sputtering out water and gasping. The audience clapped, and Snorri hoped that this meant that their feud could finally be put to rest.

I’m familiar with this time period and practices but had Yuletide merged with Christmas at this point? Thus do we see the merriment and drinking around this time?

I’m familiar with this time period and practices but had Yuletide merged with Christmas at this point? Thus do we see the merriment and drinking around this time?
I... just kinda assumed it has, honestly. I got up this morning wanting to do an update and then it accidently became a Christmas special.

I... just kinda assumed it has, honestly. I got up this morning wanting to do an update and then it accidently became a Christmas special.

Snorri Sturluson describes Hakon the Good hosting a Yuletide feast that was merged/shifted with christmas around 960, so the association is there by the point Vinland was discovered.

That makes a great deal of sense. Yule was, and still is, maybe the biggest holiday of the year up here. So of course the priests merge Christian celebration's into it. Plus, it was a major Christian holiday since several hundred years in the lands where Christianity spread to Scandinavia from.
So i wouldn't be surprised if it was part of Christianity in Scandinavia from the first year a Christian came up here.

Yikes. Christians managing to convert higher ups in local leadership is always a portent of impending pogroms against nonbelievers. The Wampanoag are about to see what the White Christ does once they have the power to do whatever they want.

Sorry that my updates for this timeline are spaced so far out. It's just that, while I'm most proud of this timeline, it's also the hardest to write because it's not just politics, it's also cultural.
Yikes. Christians managing to convert higher ups in local leadership is always a portent of impending pogroms against nonbelievers. The Wampanoag are about to see what the White Christ does once they have the power to do whatever they want.
Which reminds me, after the death of Snorri in 1090, I'll have to do a post on Christianity in Vinland and the evolution of the faith

Just one priest came along from Europe, right? But they have bibles, and are locally training priests. While living immersed in a non-Christian culture.
There's got to be quite a lot of drifting away from the dogmas and rites of Rome?

Just one priest came along from Europe, right? But they have bibles, and are locally training priests. While living immersed in a non-Christian culture.
There's got to be quite a lot of drifting away from the dogmas and rites of Rome?
There will be the intertwining of holidays and cultural festivals with Christianity, as well as the evolution of some of the Wampanoag spirits/gods into angels, Saints, demons. Local priests are not just telling stories from the bible, they are also retelling stories with a Christian twist; hero outsmarted animal is now hero outsmarted the devil, wise animal is an allegory for Jesus, ect.

There's also a general lack of caring of what the pope says. None of the Christians in Vinland have ever met the Pope, certainly not the Skrælings. Instead, the position of Bishop is taking a much higher level of importance. The bishop is also its own authority, instead of being subservient to the chief. However, they hold no power over the chief. Their power is more along the lines of influencing the chief or the tribe, or counseling in certain matters like a shaman would. Theoretically, the bishop could declare something akin to a holy war, but the first bishop (Thorbjorn) refrained from doing so because he feared what would come from doing so down the line. The first two bishops (Thorbjorn and Faltheim) are Norse, however, by this point the majority of village priests are Wampanoag mostly due to population. Most of the settlers in Botnborg and the surrounding area are fishermen, craftsmen, or soldiers, leaving Skrælings to pick up the slack in a way.

Christianity is most certainly on the rise in the region. The current Great Sachem is a practicing Christian.