A House Divided Can Stand Alone: A TL

I enjoy the premise of your TL, but isn't having the Maine explode so similarly to OTL really pushing the limits of a butterfly net? Also, I would think that Civil War vets would not be presidential material because the Union lost the war. I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but this part of your TL is kinda weak.

Meanwhile, I'm interested in seeing how things turn out for the CSA. I would explect it to be like Brazil, Mexico, or Argentina -- a lot of promise but ultimately having a fragile and problematic economy that can't cope well with the 20th century due to its structural inequality and over-reliance on cash crops.

I hath prepared a Mini-Update.

[FONT=&quot]The Anglo-Franco-American Treaty Of Defense[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]In 1879, the Anglo-Franco-American Treaty Of Defense (or AFATOD, it’s rather humorous acronym) was passed through the deciding bodies of the three nations. It had several articles, but these were the most important:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• [*]· [FONT=&quot]This treaty may only apply if one of our three nations has war declared upon itself.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]If the nation in question is in another alliance, and that alliance member is attacked, causing one of our three nations to go to war, it will not be supported by the other to signatories of this treaty. (NOTE: the example the President used to explain this before congress is quite interesting, to say the least. He said, “so, hypothetically, if France and Serbia were to be in the Same alliance, and Austria-Hungary were to invade Serbia, then neither the United States or the United Kingdom would be obligated to intervene in the conflict.”)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• · [FONT=&quot]This treaty shall be considered null and void should the United States declare war on the Confederate States.[/FONT]

Also, why aren't more people commenting on my earlier post? *remembers that I am on everybody's ignore list* Oh, right.

Okay, maybe I'm not getting this because it's so late at night...but....huh? "This treaty may only apply if one of our three nations has declared war upon itself"? So is this aimed at further secessionist conflicts or real civil wars?

Interesting thread and idea though.

The Dude

Banned
I enjoy the premise of your TL, but isn't having the Maine explode so similarly to OTL really pushing the limits of a butterfly net? Also, I would think that Civil War vets would not be presidential material because the Union lost the war. I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but this part of your TL is kinda weak.

Meanwhile, I'm interested in seeing how things turn out for the CSA. I would explect it to be like Brazil, Mexico, or Argentina -- a lot of promise but ultimately having a fragile and problematic economy that can't cope well with the 20th century due to its structural inequality and over-reliance on cash crops.
About the Maine: assuming we have it at the same harbor at the same time, and assuming that it has largely the same crew (not too much of a stretch, in my estimation), then it is only natural that it should explode at the same time. Also, McKinley didn't exactly play up the fact that he was a Civil War vet. The CSA will do better than the Latin American powers you mentioned, but not by much. The CSA is capable of recognizing that fact, as well as acting upon it.
Okay, maybe I'm not getting this because it's so late at night...but....huh? "This treaty may only apply if one of our three nations has declared war upon itself"? So is this aimed at further secessionist conflicts or real civil wars?

Interesting thread and idea though.
If you read closely, it says "this treaty may only apply if one of our three nations has war declared upon itself". So no, it is not aimed at secession or civil wars.

Seems interesting. Sorry about bumping this and getting some people's hopes up.:eek:

I'm guessing Canadian-American relations are better? Also did the US still buy Alaska. You probably mentioned it somewhere but I can't remember.

The Dude

Banned
Seems interesting. Sorry about bumping this and getting some people's hopes up.:eek:

I'm guessing Canadian-American relations are better? Also did the US still buy Alaska. You probably mentioned it somewhere but I can't remember.
No, they didn't. I have plans for Alaska, though.

And yes, Canadian-American relations are better. I think it may have to do with that whole alliance thing, but I'm not really sure.:rolleyes::p

And don't worry, if you have something to say, say it. I like it when people bump this TL, as it gets it to the front page so it gets more exposure.

The Dude

Banned
A new update is ready. I hope you all enjoy it.

Caribbean
[FONT=&quot]On June the 22cnd, the American V Corps sailed from British bases in the Bahamas and Grand Cayman Island. They landed near Moron and Camaguey, in the exact center of the island, cutting off troops on either side from each other. Spanish attempts to defeat them early on fail spectacularly. Though they were on unknown turf, the newly introduced Lee-Enfield rifle gave American troops the edge over the Spaniards. The army splits in two, with one army heading east towards Santiago, and the other headed towards Habana. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Meanwhile, more American fighting men departed from the British Virgin Islands and landed in Puerto Rico. They immediately capture the island of Vieques to use as a fallback position in case they are pushed off of the island. Fortunately, these fears prove completely unfounded, as Puerto Rico offers little resistance and a beachhead is established without fanfare. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Africa
[FONT=&quot]French forces begin to eagerly pour into Spanish West Africa. The invasion proves to be slower than expected, due to an unexpected lack of infrastructure and distance between towns and trading posts. Ibiza is captured after a light siege, taking only seven days. British troops begin to raid mainland Spain, using Gibraltar as a base of operations. Spain, remembering the disaster that was the Great Siege of 1779-1783, merely puts numerous patrols along the Gibraltar-Spain border, hoping to intercept any British raiding parties.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

And remember, comments are appreciated very much.

I want Spain to at least end up retaining its African colonies. There's no need for a total rape by Britain and France. :(

Good update.

The Dude

Banned
I want Spain to at least end up retaining its African colonies. There's no need for a total rape by Britain and France. :(

Good update.
There is no need to worry for Spain's African colonies. Though their size will be significantly reduced, I doubt Spain would accept a peace agreement where they lose all of their colonies. Also, don't hold out a hope for Spain retaining the Canary Islands. I have..... special plans for them. Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

There is no need to worry for Spain's African colonies. Though their size will be significantly reduced, I doubt Spain would accept a peace agreement where they lose all of their colonies. Also, don't hold out a hope for Spain retaining the Canary Islands. I have..... special plans for them. Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

You bastard! :mad:

American Canaries!

American's owning islands in the atlantic is rather surprising, then again, the fact that the Spanish-Amarican war still happens is relatively surprising as well, so...

The Dude

Banned
New update! I worked considerably harder on this than most previous updates. I hope it shows. I even have an image!

In the Caribbean front, things were looking very good for the Americans. William T. Sampson’s dual march to Habana and Santiago de Cuba was going much better than anyone on either side had expected. Poor planning and inferior equipment meant that the Spanish soldiers were no match for American troops. While the Spanish were using fairly new rifles and cannon, they could not hope to match the American’s Lee-Enfield rifles and brand new French-75 cannons(though the French 75s were, unfortunately, only available in limited numbers). Undoubtedly the most striking image of the campaign, as well as the war, was of Theodore Roosevelt’s brave charge through Spanish defenses during the Battle of Habana. In the tight streets of Havana, the fighting was brutal and bloody. Havana’s buildings provided perfect cover for Spanish snipers. The sharp corners meant a cavalry regiment could rush down a street, round the corner, and be instantly gunned down by a group of Spaniards. Fortunately, American machine gunners using new Maxim machine guns meant the Spanish had a hard time advancing, to put it mildly. However, the battle was won when the 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry, or the “Rough Riders”, as they were known, led by Teddy Roosevelt, charged through Paeso Avenue into the main Spanish force in the town center. For his actions, Roosevelt would be awarded the Medal of Honor.

In the Pacific, the American Asiatic Squadron, led by Commodore George Dewey, set sail from Mirs Bay, China to engage the Spanish Pacific Squadron in the Philippines. The ensuing confrontation would go on to be described as one of the most one-sided battles in history. 150 Spanish sailors were killed and 8 ships were sunk. In extreme contrast, 1 American man was lost. To a heart attack. No ships were sunk, though some were damaged slightly. The outcome of the battle was so sure that Dewey allowed his men to eat breakfast during a halt in the battle, when they ran low on ammunition. This battle has been described as being analogous to the war itself.

Also, I have a message for Beedok and Frankolio: I know you are reading this! Please comment.
This has been a public service announcement.

BattleofManilabay.png

A shame Spain is bitch-slapped so much. I think Spanish-American relations are going to be even worse than they were post-war.

Well you've certainly put a fair bit of work into from what I've skim read. It's great to see you doing something creative though I personally find the ACW pretty boring, unless Britian manages to annaxe the US because of it. :)

The Dude

Banned
Well you've certainly put a fair bit of work into from what I've skim read. It's great to see you doing something creative though I personally find the ACW pretty boring, unless Britian manages to annaxe the US because of it. :)
Well, most of the butterflies surrounding this TL will apply to America, Britain, and France, so you may find interest in this yet. And thanks for commenting.

Well, most of the butterflies surrounding this TL will apply to America, Britain, and France, so you may find interest in this yet. And thanks for commenting.

No problem everyone needs to know that they're work is looked apon, and if you want to imrove your writing AH.com is certainly one of the right forums to be on...

So have you totally given up on the sick thing or will you go back to it again? (shudders)