A House Divided Can Stand Alone: A TL

The Dude

Banned
Here it is: the update you have all been waiting the past two days for! Read away, and please comment early and often!

[FONT=&quot]The Gilded Age[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]During the 1870’s and 80’s, the United States was undergoing economic growth at an unprecedented scale. Corporations sprouted up overnight, a national form of transportation and communication was established, and new technologies from the Second Industrial Revolution led to massive factories popping up all over the northeast and Midwest. Immigrants from Europe and China were being packed like tuna fish on board boats just for a hope in hell of reaching America. The United State’s allies: France and Great Britain, were also massively benefited by their allies’ gargantuan economic explosion. As the American economy grew, so did the British and French economies. By the 1890’s, along with Germany, America and Britain were the premier industrial powers. Unfortunately, underneath all of these facts and statistics lived a terrible truth: workers were being exploited beyond belief. Living conditions for the poor were awful, working conditions were even worse. People routinely lost appendages to factory machines. If they complained, they were fired. Children were forced to work in coal mines, where they frequently were victims of on-the-job accidents. When famous author Mark Twain (who, thanks to support from British and French publishers, was one of the most read authors in the world) referred to this era as “the Gilded Age”, he did so with a clear level of subtle implications, as, underneath all of the “gilded” glamour of “robber barons” like Andrew Carnegie and John D. Rockefeller, there lay a seedy underbelly of crime, corruption, and squalor. Eventually, the Panic of 1893 and the ensuing depression put the Gilded Age to an end. The reforms that were to follow would help put the country back on its feet, and restore it on the world stage from being the cesspit where the dirt of Europe fled to, to being one of the premier European powers, as it was considered before the depression. All of this would require great men, and, in such an hour, the country produced one of the finest politicians ever to be born.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Eventually I'm guessing the USA government is going to pass regulatory laws that will (attempt) to control what big business does behind closed doors. You could always mention of a small minority of corporations setting up business in the CSA due to all the free cheap slave labour.

The Dude

Banned
Eventually I'm guessing the USA government is going to pass regulatory laws that will (attempt) to control what big business does behind closed doors. You could always mention of a small minority of corporations setting up business in the CSA due to all the free cheap slave labour.
Which, of course, could lead to reforms among the CSA as well....
;)

it's John D. Rockefeller, not Nelson Rockefeller, aside from that, good update
Goddamnit! I always get those two confused! Well, its fixed now.

Freizeit

Banned
More Goddamnit! Satisfy my lust for impossibly frequent updates!

In all seriousness, please continue. I like thus TL.

The Dude

Banned
A brand new update! All from the mind of your generous benefactor, TUSM, blessings and peace be upon him.

[FONT=&quot]Spanish-American War[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]It was the twilight of the nineteenth century. After the Panic of 1893 and the subsequent depression, a Civil War veteran named William McKinley was elected president of the United States. In the wake of the depression, America’s national pride was damaged severely. While the Confederates were doing fine with their free source of labor, normal Americans, as well as immigrants, could afford no such luxury. America was angry, and it needed to blow of some steam, fast. The answer was simple: build an empire. The first step to creating what McKinley referred to as “the[/FONT] empire of the people” was the annexation of the small archipelago known as Hawaii. This was still not enough. America not only needed to gain more land, but to have a major victory as well. Fortunately, at 9:10 on February the 15th, all of those needs would be met.
The USS Maine had exploded in Havana harbor while protecting American, French, and British interests in Cuba. A war with Spain was just what the United States needed. Spain still had quite a few overseas colonies, but was very weak and growing weaker, not to mention the fact that it had been practicing what could qualify as war crimes in Cuba and the Philippines. [FONT=&quot]Immediately, both the American press and the men on Fleet Street set about demonizing “Spanish atrocities” committed against the good and kind people of Cuba. France, seeing an opportunity for a land grab in Spanish Morocco, jumped aboard the cause with reckless abandon. The United Kingdom, honoring its treaty obligations, joined the cause as well. At this point, it was very clear that things would not go well for the Spaniards. For the Americans, however, there was a completely different story.[/FONT]

Also, for those curious, no, the Teller Amendment will not be passed ITTL.;)

An American Cuba: I wonder how are they going to deal with assimilating three large islands of Hispanic populations.

The Dude

Banned
An American Cuba: I wonder how are they going to deal with assimilating three large islands of Hispanic populations.
There may be a couple more Spanish speaking islands thrown into the mix as well.;)
Also, now they have practically surrounded the CSA.
Well, the US (reluctantly) isn't going to start anything, and the CSA definitely isn't going to start anything, so they are pretty safe for now.

Wow, I did not expect a Spanish-American War with the Confederates in the way. Keep going, I'm really interested to see where it's going.