A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

Taiping China? Very interesting. Is this a direct butterfly from the Civil War, or more of a random, indirect thing?

It looks like Mexico is going to stay Imperial for the long term. That's definitely going to have butterflies in Europe in the next few years, once the Prussians come knocking. I'm looking forward to it.

Taiping China? Very interesting. Is this a direct butterfly from the Civil War, or more of a random, indirect thing?

It looks like Mexico is going to stay Imperial for the long term. That's definitely going to have butterflies in Europe in the next few years, once the Prussians come knocking. I'm looking forward to it.

See 1863 for the Taiping development. The Civil War played its part...

Excellent drawing. It is Jo Shelby as well.

I've done all the voting I can.

Shelby016840.jpg

So I've been reading a bit lately on this period in Chinese linguistics, and you may have just made a very pivotal change. There have been three official Chinese's in the civilization's history: first northwest Mandarin (this category covering a great deal of change, but all of it within the regional dialect), then Nanjing Mandarin, before the final switch to Beijing Mandarin.

The nearly total destruction of Nanjing's population in this year was the cause for the last shift. Now ITTL the city was already seized by the Taiping and has suffered the privations of being near the front, but if it can avoid the ruinous siege the cultural heart of it's dialect will survive. That means different things depending on where things go from here. I look forward to seeing where it goes.

In practical terms, the power disparity between China and the West is nearing its peak. It's a very bad time for either a divided China or one with the Taiping's...difficult basis.

If you can get Phil Kearny into second place in the Character poll I will update the Second Part of the Lame Duck Congress tomorrow!!!

Vote early! Vote often! And vote for all your dead or otherwise absent friends, relatives and slight acquaintances!

I would vote more if I could, but alternatehistory.com appears to be more serious about election/voter integrity than many state governments.

Now the war is over someone, with more time than me, should do the Civil War TV tropes for this TL.

I too have voted myself to exhaustion.

PS - if there are any new readers directed here by the Turtledoves - WELCOME!

If you have any comments, questions, observations etc please let me know.

As for you Regulars the same applies - 1865 is going to be a big year!

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Five Acts of Attainder - Reconstruction and the Lame Duck Congress Part II
Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Five

Acts of Attainder - Reconstruction and the Lame Duck Congress
Part II

From “Thundering Voices – Congress & Reconstruction” edited by William Clancy
Buffalo 2000

I hold, that in contemplation of the Constitution, the Union of these States is and always shall be perpetual…it follows that no State, upon its own mere motion, can lawfully secede from the Union…resolves and ordinances to that effect are legally void…Nonetheless I recognize that everyman has the inherent and inalienable right to change his home and allegiance…for all the good or ill it may do him…The question before us, before the whole nation, is not whether millions of our southern citizens have exercised this right. They undoubtedly have. Rather it is what responsibility we have as a nation to them as an expatriated and stateless people…True repentance must be rewarded as the prodigal son’s contrition was rewarded…To those who remain steadfast to an unjust and unlawful case…there can be no place at the table of American brotherhood, of American prosperity, of American union…
Extracts from Abraham Lincoln’s speech in support of the Proclamation of Abandonment​

The general right, in one word, of expatriation, is incontestable.
Attorney General Jeremiah Black, Democrat, in 1859 and oft quoted in Congress in 1865​

The right of expatriation is a natural and inherent right of all people, indispensible to the enjoyment of the rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
Vice-President Elect Joseph Holt, December 1863​

The power to forcibly expatriate is an inherent federal power, as a necessary attribute of sovereignty…and derives out of the power to manage foreign affairs…
Secretary of War Edwin Stanton to cabinet, January 1865​

By virtue of its express power to establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, USC I, 8, clause 4 Congress has an implied power to set the terms of United States citizenship, including the power to expatriate
Attorney General James Speed to cabinet, January 1865​

The use of this…denationalization as a punishment is barred by the Eight Amendment as every one of you in this House knows…
Fernando Wood, Democrat, House debate January 1865​

The civilized nations of the world are in virtual unanimity that statelessness is not to be imposed as a punishment for a crime
George H. Pendleton, Democrat, House debate January 1865​

We here must agree that this nation stands by a definition of citizenship that means it can be relinquished only voluntarily and not by legislative fiat
Thaddeus Stevens, Republican, House debate January 1865​

220px-TStevens-Johnson_impeachment.jpg

Thaddeus Stevens was opposed to many of the Acts of Reconstruction except those relating to Civil Rights

It simply does not make good constitutional sense, or comport with logic, to say, on the one hand Congress [in exercising its authority under the Naturalization Clause] may impose a conditions precedent, with no constitutional complication, and yet be powerless to impose precisely the same condition subsequent…
John P. Hale, Republican, Senate debate January 1865​

Voluntary relinquishment of citizenship can never be confined only to a written renunciation…By his deeds shall a man be known…
Charles Sumner, Republican, Senate debate January 1865​

This notion of voluntary expatriation must by necessity raise the question of thousands of conscripted men…men forced into service under threat of physical punishment, of imprisonment, or of deprivation…
Thomas A. Hendricks, Democrat, Senate debate January 1865​

Can it be justice for a man to renege on every oath he has ever taken, before God and man, to betray his friends, his neighbors, his fellow countrymen…and to use the lawyer’s trick of expatriation to save him from a traitor’s fate?
Benjamin Wade, Republican, Senate debate January 1865​

I fear we are, in our righteous but ill-directed anger, embarked upon a course which the coming generation will sore regret
James A. Bayard, Democrat, in a letter to his son following resolutions in both the Senate and House​

From “The Lame Duck Legislators – The Last Days of the 38th Congress” by Chelsea Henderson
Georgetown 2001

“In 1810 Congress had proposed the Titles of Nobility Amendment which would have forcibly expatriated any American citizen accepting a foreign title. In 1818 Congress had proposed an act which would have provided a way for citizens to voluntarily relinquish their citizenship but there was argument from one opposed faction that the right already existed, while other opponents had argued that Congress had no authority to provide for expatriation at all…

The fact that the 1810 proposal had been framed as a constitutional amendment, rather than an ordinary act of Congress, was seen by some Democrats as showing that the Congress of the day did not believe that it had the power to revoke anyone's citizenship…

In the end resolutions supporting the President’s Proclamation of Abandonment and his interpretation of the laws on expatriation, were passed in both houses of Congress after prolonged and heated debate. In the Senate it passed 36 to 12 with 2 abstentions and in the House 100 to 71 with 12 abstentions. In both Houses Republicans and Democrats broke party lines and voted conscience and principle…

The Southern rebels had failed to break the Union but it was now acknowledged by both the Executive and Legislative Branches of the United States Government that they had voluntarily surrendered their American citizenship…”

thirteenth-amendment-passes.jpg

In the midst of the debate on Confiscation the news came that Texas, and thus the Confederacy, had surrendered. The war was over!

From “The Rivals – Lincoln and his Cabinet” by Amelia Doggett
Grosvenor 2008

“Surprisingly it was the Confiscation Act of 1865 that caused Lincoln the most difficultly. Initially nothing more than a draft bill amalgamating the previous two bills (of 1861 and 1862) it began by declaring that the government, through the agency of the army, had the “right to take any and all personal property from a rebellious person”. Both Attorney General Speed and Secretary Chase opposed this formulation for a variety of legal reasons, but in truth both (especially Chase) wished to see confiscated property administered by their own departments…

Lincoln himself, in cabinet, raised the taxing conundrum of whether expatriated individuals could be said to be “a rebellious person”. In the end the definition was changed to refer to “enemy aliens and stateless persons…actively engaged in hostilities with the Government of the United States”…

Lincoln’s humanity was never more obvious than his own personal and direct intervention with the sponsor of the bill to include a proviso that the bill should allow sufficient personal property to remain with the individual or compensation to be provided by the Government that would “assist in the individual's relocation beyond the boundaries and territories of the United States” and “such as is necessary to avoid suffering by dependents of the individual”. By Lincoln’s own hand no Confederate would be condemned to starve and all would have sufficient resources to relocate to Mexico, Brazil or other safe haven…

view.asp

Many former rebels went into exile destitute

Ultimately it was Chase who won the conflict over “condemned” property. The Treasury Department would have responsibility for the administration of confiscated property…”

From “The Lame Duck Legislators – The Last Days of the 38th Congress” by Chelsea Henderson
Georgetown 2001

“With the passage of the Confiscation Act (House: 112 to 64 with 7 abstentions. Senate 30 to 16 with 4 abstentions) the final action of the 38th Congress would be the debate on and prompt passage of an updated Naturalization Act…

The revised Naturalization Act would allow Federal Courts to administer the oath of allegiance to expatriated citizens. However it would also imbue the President with the power to imprison or deport aliens who were considered "dangerous to the peace and safety of the United States"…

Not since the Alien and Seditious Acts during the Presidency of John Adams had such sweeping powers been granted to the office of the President. During the presidency of John Adams the powers were rarely used, widely condemned, and brought ridicule upon the Federalist Government. Not so in 1865…

These “proscribed persons” were aliens (primarily expatriated persons) who would be subject to a permanent ban from the territory of the United States. The primary change wrought by Congress in debating the legislation was to introduce a Joint Committee of both Houses who could both suggest persons for “proscription” to the President and recommend names for removal from the list. Congress would have the power, on a vote of a two third majority, to override the President on either a decision to proscribe or remove proscription from an individual…

The Naturalization Act of 1865 passed the Senate 28 to 6 with 6 abstentions and the House by 115 to 66 with only 2 abstentions…

The fundamental understanding of American citizenship had been radically altered… and the Government’s powers to deal with rebellion and enemy aliens had been enthusiastically strengthened by Congress…

My only consolation is that Congress has passed both acts in less than two months…As bad as they most assuredly are, we are, god willing, at least spared the legislative wisdom of the Radical 39th Congress on these subjects "(James A. Bayard)…”

From "The Great Constitutional Crisis" by Dr. Lee M. King
Carlotta 1962

"It was with good reason that the exilados grise would shake the dust from their feet as they left the United States...The hurried legislation of Lincoln's Lame Duck Congress would trample on their beloved Constitution like a herd of buffalo...panicked, unthinking, stampeding over the rights of American citizens and they did so with the overwhelming support of the Northern citizenry..."

Last edited:
WTF! These are dangerous if understandable precedents for the President and Congress to set. But I wonder if a band of heroes not named above might still save American freedom:

"Hello, is that Congress? This is the Supreme Court of the United States. We've come to take our country back!"

Yeah, good update! More folks are gonna leave the States than I thought...
I could try and explain TV Tropes, but I should let a native explain..

All that confiscated property means that a scheme like "40 acres and a mule" could feasibly be put into effect ITTL. The feds aren't going to want to hang onto that much real estate, and distributing it to freedmen would be a neat solution.

That kind of power to strip citizens of their citizenship could be used later against alleged communist during the red scare of the 1950s or draft dodgers during Vietnam.
That kind of power has all sorts of nasty potential to be abused.
Some of the rebels could join the Indians in their coming fight against the US government. if you take their citizenship and their property they now have no reason to stop fighting in one way or another.
When the boll weevil arrives a lot the people with 40 acres and a mule are going to go bust fast and lose their land.
What is going to happen top the copperheads imprisoned without trial in the North?

Last edited:
All that confiscated property means that a scheme like "40 acres and a mule" could feasibly be put into effect ITTL. The feds aren't going to want to hang onto that much real estate, and distributing it to freedmen would be a neat solution.

OTL federal government still owns massive amount of land they took for the Indians after the civil war. much of it is rented to ranchers for cattle grazing today.

Thinking about it some more I see a number of issues and problems:

1. Conscripted Confederates - Senator Hendricks is right. These guys, enlisted men/privates, should be able to challenge their 'expatriation' as their actions were not 'voluntary'.

2. The powers of Confiscation and more particularly Proscription have an air of discretion about them. Lincoln should limited the proscribed persons to senior military and civilian rebels. That seems consistent with his character and attitude in OTL and TTL.

3. Naturalization of Expatriated Persons - I can see some generousity exercised as time goes by. I suspect many thousands will be expatriated but remain resident in the US. If they keep their noses clean for a few years they can be naturalized. This assumes limited proscription.

4. Many rebels will go into voluntary exile even if they aren't proscribed I predict. I wonder how civil rights change with a large demographic change in the south as a result of a 'white' exodus.

5. Confiscation - prepare for legal giggery-pokery. My wife owns the land. A company owns the land. A partnership, with appropriate Unionist partners, owns the land etc. Dick Ewell's huge land holdings were I think actually mostly his wife's. Anyone have an idea how much land we might be talking about? There will also be some distress sales by voluntary exiles.

OTL federal government still owns massive amount of land they took for the Indians after the civil war. much of it is rented to ranchers for cattle grazing today.

The government was trying to get rid of it up till the early 1900s or beyond. Most of the land the government still owns was too remote or too arid to be usable during that time period.

It's extremely unlikely that the feds hold on to this land indefinitely, though its barely possible there might be some kind of Indian reservation style paternalism where freed slaves are given title but they aren't allowed to sale without federal permission. Probably not a good idea, and not likely, but still possible.

You know the more I read of this TL the more I realize the only thing really standing between the south and a horrendous post war settlement was first Abraham Lincoln and second Andrew Johnson.

With an angrier or more despondent Lincoln this kind of outcome is perfectly possible. The lost cause is truely lost. But Im also interested in what attitude the Supremes take.

I'm not sure a lot of property is actually going to be confiscated*.

Aside from the lawyering mentioned above (it belongs to my wife good sir!) we know that aside from higher ranking officers (majors and above, IIRC) and those being looked at for war crimes that the rest are going to receive pardons and allow to go back to doing whatever it was they were doing before (with only a minimum amount of hassle). So lots of land and/or property isn't going to be seized from the thousands of Confederate troops.

*Not saying corruption won't be involved that will not inflate the amount but on paper it shouldn't be much.

As for the Supreme Court I would bet they would allow it to stand for the leaders, instigators, etc. of rebellion but for everyone else it will be marked down as unconstitutional. Just my two cents though.

You can be sure that David Davis and his cohorts in the Supreme Court will figure prominently in the next few years. It will take time however for the cases to come before them. There might be a few before the end of the year but there are likely to be more significant ones it 186 and 1867.

Trailers:

• A New Beginning - Inauguration and the 39th Congress
  • The Great Sifting - Rebels: Tried, Expatriatated or Proscribed
  • America Abroad - The Kearny Mission and Lincoln's Missionaries
  • Bureaus and Bureaucrats - The Freedmens, The Collectors, The Proscriptors, and the Secret Service
  • The Great Exodus Part II - The Blue Eyed Prophet and the Promised Land
  • Brotherhood, Trauma and a Great Purpose - The Army and its Veterans