A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

Right then, after that post finishing the Battle of Four Armies, I will shortly post a timeline and then turn to public reaction to the battles of October 1863 - Gettysburg, Chickamauga, Pipe Creek and Four Armies. The nation has been on a rollercoaster!

Next year's campaigning will be in the Carolinas and Georgia, and who knows what I'll do with McClernand's army of the Alabama...

Further hints for future updates

• The Treatment of Prisoners North & South
  • The Charleston Panic and The Charleston Massacre​
  • The War in Mexico​
  • The Neglected Theatre - The Trans-Mississippi​
  • Kearny the Foremost General and The Strategy for 1864!​
Now is the time for any questions, queries, hopes, expectations etc etc if you have them?????​

Last edited:
As the Confederacy is reduced to an eastern rump of the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida what shortages can we expect to see there in the winter of 63 and the new year of 64? Particularly with the dramatic reduction in blockade running. Are they self sufficient in food stuffs? What luxury items will be in short supply? What elements of military stores will be hard to come by?

As the Confederacy is reduced to an eastern rump of the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida what shortages can we expect to see there in the winter of 63 and the new year of 64? Particularly with the dramatic reduction in blockade running. Are they self sufficient in food stuffs? What luxury items will be in short supply? What elements of military stores will be hard to come by?
I suspect it will be like OTL but worse; the real problem for the Confederacy was not lack of food but lack of transport. I am assuming that the railroads are wearing out as IOTL.

I really enjoyed reading the description of that epic battle of the four armies. Now my question is how badly were the two sides damaged? What's the effective available strength of the forces out west for the two sides?

As a point of information, the CSA actually did not build a single mile of NEW RR during OTL Civil War. The only foundry in the CSA that could make steel rails was the Tredegar Works in Richmond, and there was a constant problem with many more calls on their iron & steel production than capacity (for example use steel rails for ironclad armor or RR tracks..). Like wise no significant locomotive or steam engine building capacity in the CSA or ability to build RR cars from the ground up. Add to that the poor routing of the CSA RR net (mostly interior to coast with few interior interconnections, and multiple RR track gauges...

Appendix to the 1863 Fall Campaigns
Appendix to the 1863 Fall Campaigns

From “The War Between the States” by Otis R. Mayhew
Sword & Musket 1992

“It is hard now to conceive the rollercoaster ride upon which the Northern public were embarked during September and October 1863..."

Chronology

EAST / WEST/ TRANS-MISSISSIPPI

27 August: Lawrence Massacre (KS)
10 Septemeber: Second Battle of Osawatomie (KS) - grandiose name for an attempt by raiders to repeat the Lawrence Massacre on a smaller scale which is beaten away by Union cavalry and Indian Home Guards units.
15 September: Lee begins his advance towards the Shenandoah valley (VA).
17 September: Battle of Arcola (AL) – Grant defeats Bragg.
23 September: Hooker commences his movement on Chattanooga (TN)
27 September:Battle of Selma (AL) Grant defeats Bragg in a minor skirmish
28 September: Lee is encamped at Winchester (VA). Elements of the army are further north; Commencement of the Battle of Second Chattanooga (TN) – Anson G. McCook attacks the city from the north.
1 October: Battle of Little Rock (AR) - Holmes attack on Blunt is beaten off with severe loss.
2 October: Hooker has crossed the Tennessee River. End of McCook’s operations to the north of Chattanooga.
8 October: Grant commences the movement towards Montgomery (AL). Bragg is already marching northwards while Magruder retreats on Montgomery.
2 October: Battle of Kearneysville/Leesburg (VA) - Jackson drives Sigel.
4 October: Battle of Monocacy Junction (VA) - Jackson thrashes Reno in a battle unwanted by both sides.
11 October: Elements of Lee’s infantry are as far north as Gettysburg (PA)
14 October: Battle of Lookout Mountain (TN) – Hooker defeats Hardee’s outposts.
15 October: Hardee begins to evacuate Chattenooga. It will take two days; Battle of Carlisle (PA) - Stuart attacks French. Battle of Wildcat Crossing (AR) - Union cavalry defeats Holmes ragtag cavalry and mounted infantry.
16 October: Grant realises he is pursuing Magruder only.
17 October: Battle of Harrisburg (PA) - Allegheny Johnson attacks Canby without success.
18 October: Battle of Gettysburg (VA) First Day; Battle of Davis Crossroads (GA)
19 October: Battle of Gettysburg (VA) Second Day; Battle of Lee’s Mill (GA) First Day.
20 October: Battle of Lee’s Mill (GA) Second Day
21 October: Battle of Pipe Creek (MD) First Day
22 October: Battle of Pipe Creek (MD) Second Day
25 October: Battle of Chickamauga (GA) First Day
26 October: Battle of Chickamauga (GA) Second Day
28 October: Battle of Berryville (VA)
29 October: Battle of Four Armies (AL) First Day
30 October: Battle of Four Armies (AL) Second Day
2 November: Battle of Dead Bay (AL) - Magruder attacks McClernand's troops near Mobile. A stalement on the battlefield, McClernand declares victory as Magruder is urgently ordered back to Georgia.
7 November: Battle of Liberty (VA) - Peck and the Army of the James pitches into Jackson's resting troops just beyond the Otter River.

attachment.php

The 121st Ohio, under Lt.Col. Henry Blackstone Banning, was a shell of its former self by the end of 1863 after nine major battles.

Numbers

Sword & Musket 1992

"Estimating the numbers of troops involved in the various campaigns of the Civil War is an inexact science. In many instances the commanders themselves were not certain about the precise number of "effectives" available to them. Nonetheless for the purposes of this text the figures collated by Wallace's magisterial "A History of the Rebellion" will be applied..."1

1863 - Lee's Invasion
  • Army of the Potomac: 102,000 Casualties: 33,000
  • Army of the James: 24,000 Casualties: 6,800
  • Army of the Shenandoah 2: 12,000 Casualties: 5,300
  • Dept. of the Susquehanna 5: 7,000 Casualties: 787
  • Army of Northern Virginia: 85,000 Casualties: 37,500
1863 - Bragg's Central Campaign
  • Army of the Mississippi 3: 68,000 Casualties: 18,000
  • Army of the Cumberland: 60,000 Casualties: 26,000
  • Army of Mississippi 4: 41,000 Casualties: 32,000
  • Army of Tennessee:65,000 Casualties: 18,000
1 Casualty figures include those killed, wounded, missing and (particularly relevant in the West) those taken prisoner.
2 The Army of the Shenandoah was the grandiose name sometimes applied to Sigel's Dept of the Shenandoah.
3 Grant's Army of the Mississippi does not include the 9,000 men detached to form the Army of the Alabama under McClernand or the garrisons of Selma.
4 Bragg's Army of Mississippi does not include the 6,500 men detached under Magruder to "distract" Grant.
5 Canby's militia served at Carlisle (under French), at Harrisburg and peripherally at Pipe Creek.

Last edited:
Thanks KI, this is just what we needed!

Wow all those battles (Gettysburg, Pipe Creek, Chickamauga, Four Armies) in nine days? Rollercoaster indeed!!!!!

As for troops/Casualties: Armageddon for the Confederacy indeed. Morale's going to take a helluva plunge after these losses.

Thanks KI, this is just what we needed!

Wow all those battles (Gettysburg, Pipe Creek, Chickamauga, Four Armies) in nine days? Rollercoaster indeed!!!!!

As for troops/Casualties: Armageddon for the Confederacy indeed. Morale's going to take a helluva plunge after these losses.

Having written them so far apart I hadn't realised how close in time the battles were.

Never mind the Northerners! The poor Southerners! Lee disappears into the northern states with his army. Rumours of attacks on Carlisle and Harrisburg; the battle at Gettysburg and then the disasterous news of Pipe Creek. All on top of the loss of Selma and Chattanooga.

And then a few days later the news that Bragg and joined Hardee and defeated Hooker, who is fleeing back through Chattanooga, and that Bragg is now turning this rebel army group on Grant to destroy him. For three or four days Bragg might have been the most popular man in the South! No wonder the press turned on him. The desparate disappointment of it.

Never mind the Northerners! The poor Southerners! Lee disappears into the northern states with his army. Rumours of attacks on Carlisle and Harrisburg; the battle at Gettysburg and then the disasterous news of Pipe Creek. All on top of the loss of Selma and Chattanooga.

And then a few days later the news that Bragg and joined Hardee and defeated Hooker, who is fleeing back through Chattanooga, and that Bragg is now turning this rebel army group on Grant to destroy him. For three or four days Bragg might have been the most popular man in the South! No wonder the press turned on him. The desparate disappointment of it.
Don't forget the casualties! 87,500 lost, most of them in a span of two weeks (Oct 15-30), plus the loss of Two Army Commanders (Bragg and Lee). The facts are bad enough, can you imagine what the newspapers are reporting? Once the magnitude of this disaster becomes public, the CSA will be thrown into panic and hysteria.

Don't forget the casualties! 87,500 lost, most of them in a span of two weeks (Oct 15-30), plus the loss of Two Army Commanders (Bragg and Lee). The facts are bad enough, can you imagine what the newspapers are reporting? Once the magnitude of this disaster becomes public, the CSA will be thrown into panic and hysteria.

Interestingly while the losses in both theatres (between Union and Rebel) are similar, the percentage losses tell the real story. East and West the Union has 30-34% losses. The Rebels 40-50% losses. I know some are injured that will return to the ranks, sooner or later, but its still a catastophe for the rebels.

Chapter Ninety Five Kearny goes West
Chapter Ninety Five

Kearny goes West

From “Lincoln: A Life in Stories” by James Piper McCrory
North Carolina State

“It had seemed as though the President had lived in the Telegraph office for about 15 days from about October 15th. He was often joined by members of the cabinet and senior officers in Washington, whose spirits waxed and waned with the news. When all seemed particularly despondent, as Lee had cut off communication with the Army of the Potomac and all waited for news from Maryland, and in response to regrets aired by several members of the Administration, Lincoln commented “gentlemen the probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. We must have faith in our convictions..." (Gideon Welles)

General Kearny’s message from the battlefield of Pipe Creek of a decisive victory was greeted with jubilation, first by Lincoln, and soon by the whole city as word spread. “Now, with His [God’s] help, we might make an end of this terrible war” (Lincoln’s first comment noted by John Hay)…

It was six days later when details of the Battle of Chickamauga finally reached Washington. Guerillas had severed many telegraph lines throughout Tennessee in a campaign of raids throughout November preventing word arriving sooner. After the jubilation of Pipe Creek, the joint news of the setback at Berryville and the disaster at Chickamauga sent the city into a spiral of fear, anger and concern. “I am minded of some old maxim about men and Gods… Those whom the Gods would destroy they first make mad. I feel like that’s the road they’re on with me” Lincoln confided to Secretary Seward in those dark days…”

images

Sometimes he felt as though he lived and died by the contents of those telegrams (John Hay on Lincoln)

From “The King and his Heir – Lincoln and Kearny in the Civil War” by Robert Todd Lincoln II
Grafton Press 1939

“On his return to Washington, a tired and bruised Kearny was greeted with adulation by the crowds that quickly gathered to see him at the B&O Station on New Jersey Avenue. The Commander of the Armies, the hero of Pipe Creek, had arrived and would quickly sort out the crisis in the west. Among those who stood on the platform to meet him was the President himself, who lent Kearny a helping hand from the train. “General, I hope you are feeling well enough, for we need you to sort matters out for us in the west”. “Mr President, Wallace’s Corps is on the rails behind me, and subject to reviewing the last dispatches I meant to entrain for Chattanooga myself at the earliest”…”

From “Kearny the Magnificent” by Roger Galton
NorthWestern

“Before Kearny had travelled very far, a telegraph awaited him at a station in Pennsylvania. Hooker had finally got word through of the victory at Gadsden in Alabama. The defeat at Chickamauga had been redeemed. More over further messages indicated Hooker had won an overwhelming victory over Bragg. None the less Kearny pressed on. It was time the Commanding General made his mark upon the West…

Kearny met Joe Hooker and Ulysses S. Grant in Chattanooga. As Hooker had been the first to report in detail, he had purloined the lion’s share of the credit for the victory at Gadsden for himself. Indeed Kearny seemed initially to conclude that Grant had allowed himself to be surprised by Hardee at Glencoe while held in place by Bragg on the river. Kearny had never before met with Grant, indeed had only the recommendations of the President and General Warren and of course his record to go by…”

From "U.S. Grant - Hero of Three Wars" by John W. Eisenhower
Edison 1953

“Just as Reynolds held the paramount position in the East under Kearny, and importantly over fellow army commander John Peck, so too did Joe Hooker hope that he could manoeuvre himself into a similar position over Grant for the spring campaign. Hooker played on his friendship with Kearny. Furthermore the dashing, well dressed Kearny seemed to have little in common with the drab ill-dressed Grant. Grant was certain the better contected Hooker would be placed over him. It did not make Grant naturally well disposed to Kearny...

Grant, privately, expressed some disgust with the entourage that followed with Kearny, which included a fully furnished dining car. However a short time later Grant was astonished to discover that not only was the fine food and equipment of Kearny’s headquarters entirely purchased at his own expense, but that Kearny also spent thousands of dollars of his own money to alleviate the distress of the wounded in Chattanooga…”

NorthWestern

“Ironically it was Hooker who was the author of his own defeat. During a “convivial” luncheon with Kearny, Grant and several other generals, which Kearny and Hooker were liberally enjoying while Grant remain taciturn, Hooker seeking to embarrass Grant, observed that Grant was supposedly the greatest student of equitation to pass through West Point. Kearny “sat bolt upright as though struck. His interest piqued” (Dan Butterfield ). Kearny suggested that Grant accompany him on a ride through the encamped armies in the morning to which Grant assented…”

tumblr_lht34ugNfi1qge354o1_500.jpg

Ulysess S. Grant was an exceptional horseman

From "U.S. Grant - Hero of Three Wars" by John W. Eisenhower
Edison 1953

“Grant rode Jack. This horse, though a strong animal, had proven to be unfitted for the service in the regular cavalry and, when taking his regiment from Springfield, Illinois, to Missouri, Grant encamped on the Illinois River for several days. During the time they were there a farmer brought in a horse called "Jack." This animal was a cream-colored horse, with black eyes, mane and tail of silver white, his hair gradually becoming darker toward his feet. He was a noble animal, high spirited, very intelligent and an excellent horse in every way. He was a stallion and of considerable value…

He in turn loaned General Kearny another of his horses, Kangaroo... At the battle of Shiloh the Confederates left on the field a rawboned horse, very ugly and apparently good for nothing. As a joke, the officer who found this animal on the field, sent it with his compliments, to Colonel Lagow, one of Grant's aides-de-camp, who always kept a very excellent mount and was a man of means. The other officers of the staff "jollied" the colonel about this gift. When Grant saw him, he told the colonel that the animal was a thoroughbred and a valuable mount and that if he, Lagow, did not wish to keep the horse he would be glad to have him. Because of his appearance he was named "Kangaroo," and after a short period of rest and feeding and care he turned out to be a magnificent animal…”

NorthWestern

“Kearny was most impressed by these two examples of horseflesh. General Grant may have seemed like a dour joyless fellow, but he knew his horses. Thus it was that Kearny and Grant set out, with their respect staffs, to inspect the armies' camps”…

General Grant was a great rider, simply splendid. He could ride 40 or 50 miles and come in perfectly fresh and tire out younger men. He never lacked in courage, never dodged, just rode straight at it. I only ever met one man to match him on horseback...” (Horace Porter). “Two fools came a racing throue our camp jumping tent ropes, fires and allsorts. Like too shavetail lewtenants on alark. It was only awhile later when there staffs came around looking for them that we new it was Generals Kearney and Grant” (Private Andrew Huth of 121st Ohio). Their staffs simply could not keep up with Kearny and Grant when they decided to "test the mettle of the other" (Kearny).

Two less alike in demeanour and character in the Army you could not hope to find than Generals Kearny and Grant, noted General Sherman years later, but a friendship formed on horseback that day would withstand the test of time. “Athwart two unmanageable beasts, we two unmanageable beasts came to an understanding,” Kearny wrote to his wife “Grant is not a flashly officer, as I know I am before you laugh, and he certainly hates this war. But the more I hear and sift through the bombast here, the more I believe he has a talent for it”…

As the Armies of the Mississippi and the Cumberland were refitted for the spring, Kearny resolved it would be Grant that would co-ordinate the advance into Georgia towards Atlanta. Kearny and Grant agreed that Hardee would have to fight to defend the South's third capitol and thus they could kill two birds with one stone.

Should Grant fail, Hooker, remaining in command of the Army of the Cumberland, would succeed to the command. In the interim Kearny sought an officer to replace the fool Stoneman in Tennessee. He would have to take Knoxville with a small force; mop up any residual rebel forces in eastern Tennessee; and return to the army in time to join the advance into Georgia. Surprisingly Hooker and Grant offered the same name, General George Thomas…”

images

George Thomas favored no faction and was respected by all

Last edited:
Been working overtime the past couple of months so I have only just caught up. Tremendous work with Hooker especially at Chickamauga. Been digging around but there certainly appears to be a lack of maps of north-west Georgia from the 1860s that cover the entirety of the area in question, so your hand-drawn map is most appreciated. A good job capturing the casualty rates that seemed to attend the battles in the west. Few units ever seem to escape battle unscathed.

Fine recent scene with Grant and Kearney. I had not forgotten Grant's skill on horseback, but it had slipped my mind (I do seem to recall one instance of Grant losing his temper with someone flogging a draft animal). I find myself wondering a little at Grant's motivation for nominating Pap Thomas (yay!) as he is on record as less than impressed with Thomas. Although, part of that may have been jealousy in Sherman's favor (speculation on my part) and his OT position relative to Thomas (I have the impression that Thomas's erred a little too far on the side of humility when dealing with Grant). I am not certain whether Grant was one of those who distrusted a Virginian in the Union army.

From Hooker, on the other hand, I presume it is a sign of high regard and loyalty? I am not overly familiar with the man, aside from the general assessment that he was a fine division or corps commander, but less suited for higher command.

I would presume that Kearny will not. Again, though, I do wonder if Thomas's temperament will suit Kearny, at least so far as the exercise of independent command is concerned. Kearny the thunderbolt. Thomas, the slow-moving avalanche.

Look at Grant's options:

Jack Logan - amateur who has been in corps command for about a week;
Francis Blair - ditto
EOC Ord - professional but also only been in corps command for a month; and
Eugene Carr - ditto.

Hooker has a better selection of experienced officers but for independant command Thomas makes sense:

Israel Richardson - would probably destroy Knoxville iin the process of taking it;
Jeff C Davis - more of a hot head than Richardson! Also in corps command for only a short time (also not sure what the consequences of shooting that major will be!);
Granger - sound. Perhaps the only real alternative to Thomas.

Last edited:
Again, one of those little pieces of info from OTL that make TTL so incredible! Of course Kearny and Grant would bond over horses...

I didn't realize until the second-to-last update just how heated the summer of 1863 was...the Union really held its breath, didn't it?

From Hooker, on the other hand, I presume it is a sign of high regard and loyalty? I am not overly familiar with the man, aside from the general assessment that he was a fine division or corps commander, but less suited for higher command.

I would presume that Kearny will not. Again, though, I do wonder if Thomas's temperament will suit Kearny, at least so far as the exercise of independent command is concerned. Kearny the thunderbolt. Thomas, the slow-moving avalanche.

Hooker was an exceptional divisional commander, alongside Kearny in Heintzelman's Corps on the Peninsula. He was a good corps commander compared to some of his contemporaries.

As for army commander I take what may be a contraversial view - Hooker was an excellent organiser, motivator and strategist. The Chancellorsville plan, cooked up by Hooker and Butterfield, was excellent. It was one of the few occasions Lee was properly surprised. Hooker lost the battle through miscommunication (his telegraph line and communications with Butterfield and Sedgwick broke down almost immediately), and the incompetence of some of his leading generals (most notably Howard and Stoneman, but also Sedgwick). Having got through his first major challenge as an army commander I suspect Hooker's performances will only improve...

Chapter Ninety Six Bloody Kansas and Missouri Bushwhackers
Chapter Ninety Six

Bloody Kansas and Missouri Bushwhackers

Sword & Musket 1992

“Between 1862 and 1864, the state [Missouri] endured guerrilla warfare in which southern partisan rangers and Bushwhackers battled the Kansas irregulars known as Jayhawkers and Redlegs or "Redleggers" (from the red gaiters they wore around their lower legs) and the allied Union forces.
Jayhawker raids against perceived civilian "Confederate sympathizers" alienated Missourians and made maintaining the peace even harder for the Unionist provisional government. While Jayhawker violence alienated communities who would've otherwise been loyal supporters of the Union, marauding bands of pro-secession bushwhackers sustained guerrilla war and outright banditry, especially in Missouri's northern counties...

Although guerrilla warfare occurred throughout much of the state, most of the incidents occurred in northern Missouri and were characterized by ambushes of individuals or families in rural areas. These incidents were particularly nefarious because their vigilante nature was outside the command and control of either side and often pitted neighbor against neighbor. Civilians on all sides faced looting, violence and other depredations...

Among the famous bushwhackers were Quantrill's Raiders and Bloody Bill Anderson. It was William Quantrill’s men who were responsible for the massacre at Lawrence, Kansas and the attempt to repeat the feat at Ossawatomie…”

images

The Sack of Lawrence

NorthWestern

“Phil Kearny arrived in St.Louis with Henry Halleck’s endorsement of the Departmental commander, John Schofield ringing in his ears. On the credit side, Major General James Blunt’s campaign in Arkansas had secured Little Rock and Fort Smith in October 1863. However the capture of Little Rock was overwhelmed by a much greater crisis – Quantrill’s raid on Lawrence. This renewed the debate of guerrilla policy; reignited the war between Kansas and Missouri, and had prompted a radical delegation to Washington to demand Schofield’s removal…

general-john-schofield.jpg

General John Schofield - commander of the Dept of Missouri

With 182 dead Kansans and 184 buildings burned, Kansas was crying out for blood, as indeed was the nation. Radical Senator James Lane, who barely escaped with his life, called for Kansans to make “a large portion of western Missouri a desert waste”. Local commander, the brutal John O’Neill, had embarked on a bloody campaign of retribution against Missouri civilians in counties known to be "rebel" in sympathy, burning down homes without much care for whether the occupants were out and clear or not. General Schofield was under pressure to act against guerrillas and their sympathisers but this was too far, too much and Schofield intervened to stop O’Neill…

Although Schofield had decreed shooting guerrillas, banishments and financial assessments, the radicals' criticism of him still reached new heights. Schofield was denounced as “the bushwhackers’ best friend” and Schofield knew it “my political enemies are fanning the flames, and wish for a burnt offering to satisfy the just and terrible passion of the people”. Although more beholden to the radicals, Lincoln had sympathy for General Schofield. The President commented to General Kearny that “I hold whoever is in command in Missouri answerable to you and I, and not either the radicals or conservatives”…

JohnMcNeil.jpg

General John McNeill - the Butcher of Palmyra

While the guerrillas had withdrawn to safety on the south side of the Arkansas River and Kearny was at Chattanooga, Schofield sought authority from Secretary Stanton to dismiss all the officers in his department. General Kearny refused when the matter was put before him – “Imprudent” was the word General Halleck used to describe the request. It did however cause General Kearny to go further west, to St.Louis, in December to meet with this departmental commander and some of his subordinates. It was to prove to be a surprising confrontation that would radically alter the nature of the war in the west…”.

Last edited: