A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

Didn't TKI say the Battle of Harrisburg was overlooked because of the Battle of Gettysburg and the Battle of Pipe Creek/Union Mills. My money is on a 4th day of skirmishing at Gettysburg as Lee slips off south to occupy the Pipe Creek line. If so Reynolds is screwed. Its better ground than the Union had at Gettysburg. Might almost be as good at Marye's Heights at Fredericksburg.

If Lee does get between Reynolds and Washington, Stanton and Halleck will feel justified in holding onto Rodman's corps.

If Lee does get between Reynolds and Washington, Stanton and Halleck will feel justified in holding onto Rodman's corps.
Probably how things will actually turn out.

Rodman keeps Lee busy whilst the rest of the army catches up. Not exactly a pincer movement, but it could be close. Well, that's how i see it anyway.

Probably how things will actually turn out.

Rodman keeps Lee busy whilst the rest of the army catches up. Not exactly a pincer movement, but it could be close. Well, that's how i see it anyway.

I wondered if Rodman had been spared by TKI for a reason! A single Union corps against the ANV. That would be epic. And brief!

I also like the way the butterflies have made life harder for a more successful Army of the Potomac by making Lee less confident in the ANV and less overtly aggressive.

I wondered if Rodman had been spared by TKI for a reason! A single Union corps against the ANV. That would be epic. And brief!
Definitely. How good is Rodman as commandeer though. Would it at least be a decent delaying action, if such an event happens?

Definitely. How good is Rodman as commandeer though. Would it at least be a decent delaying action, if such an event happens?

I recall Rodman performing well in previous battles. A rising star in OTL when he died. Also his divisonal commanders Howe, Brooks and Russell look imposing if nothing else (they are back on page 16 I think).

Very interesting update. The balance of forces and the nature of the ground more obviously favors the Union. Lee is even more in need of a victory, but the implications of a defeat are yet more evident.

A few thing intrigue me at present. When and how does word of Lee's movements, accurate and otherwise, reach various parties on the Union side? Also, no matter what he wishes, is Kearney well enough to travel?

Much seems up in the air right now. Kearney intends to do something with Rodman's Corps, but will it be the obvious?

Lee's problem is he is short on all sorts of supplies, has no logistic force following him/bringing up stuff from CSA & admits only enough ammo for one more battle. As good as the Pipe Creek line is for him (if he is south and the AoP north of the water), if they refuse battle knowing there is a significant force behind Lee & Washington not really threatened (remember all the forts), if they fix him in place he's screwed - no need to assault a tough position. Or they can maneuver around a flank since they know he cannot move south without hitting the force behind him (which he does not know is there & probably won't since Stuart et al will be scouting the Union forces in/around Gettysburg).

Lee has to fight the AoP soon (and win big) or he's toast. He will run out of food soon, and its too early in the year to scavenge a lot, and any foraging parties will be exposed to all the blue troops in the area - even militia can be useful there. Furthermore every shot fired by the ANV in skirmishes, feints etc is one less they have when they finally do have the dust-up.

If the Union generals are patient and not hasty/panicked, and Lincoln lets his generals fight the fight and not scream to do something now to protect DC, the its hard to see how this will end any way other than badly for the ANV - only question would be how badly. IMHO the leaders of the AoP ITTL and Lincoln ITTL & OTL will most likely do the right thing.

Lee's problem is he is short on all sorts of supplies, has no logistic force following him/bringing up stuff from CSA & admits only enough ammo for one more battle. As good as the Pipe Creek line is for him (if he is south and the AoP north of the water), if they refuse battle knowing there is a significant force behind Lee & Washington not really threatened (remember all the forts), if they fix him in place he's screwed - no need to assault a tough position. Or they can maneuver around a flank since they know he cannot move south without hitting the force behind him (which he does not know is there & probably won't since Stuart et al will be scouting the Union forces in/around Gettysburg).

Lee has to fight the AoP soon (and win big) or he's toast. He will run out of food soon, and its too early in the year to scavenge a lot, and any foraging parties will be exposed to all the blue troops in the area - even militia can be useful there. Furthermore every shot fired by the ANV in skirmishes, feints etc is one less they have when they finally do have the dust-up.

If the Union generals are patient and not hasty/panicked, and Lincoln lets his generals fight the fight and not scream to do something now to protect DC, the its hard to see how this will end any way other than badly for the ANV - only question would be how badly. IMHO the leaders of the AoP ITTL and Lincoln ITTL & OTL will most likely do the right thing.
Excellent analysis. Even if Lee somehow accomplishes his goals, he's in enemy territory depleted of both food and ammo; he has to fight his way back to Virginia, and the Union can replenish their losses while he cannot. I agree, it will end badly for the ANV.

Chapter Seventy-Five A Rebel Twice Over
Chapter Seventy-Five

A Rebel Twice Over

From “The Gray Fox – Robert E. Lee” by R. Southey-Freeman
Orange & West 1958

“Lee directed Johnson, in the last light of the day, to begin to send his wagons north on the Newville/Carlisle Road. It was a move clearly visible to the Federals on Cemetery Hill. The significance of the move was not lost on Reynolds who ordered Buford to shift his cavalry to the right in order to shadow any move by the rebels northwards from the vicinity of the Harrisburg Pike. Small elements of Stuart’s cavalry were spotted moving northwards beyond the town of Gettysburg itself. Further Reynolds’ Corps commanders reported that Confederate artillery was being withdrawn. Reynolds drew the obvious conclusion – Lee, having attempted to catch the Army of the Potomac divided and having failed to do so, was reverting to his original plan and moving northwards again towards Carlisle or Harrisburg…”

ironbrigade10161001.jpg

Reynolds observes the rebel train move northwards

From "Always The General - The Life of John Fulton Reynolds" by Jed Bradshaw
Penn State 1999

“Camp fires burned along the whole rebel line but this was a common deceit. The rebels were marching off. Stevens’ Corps and elements of Humphreys’ reserve were put on the road to Harrisburg that night. If the rebels were generally on the move come the morning Reynolds would get the whole army on the road northwards towards Harrisburg…”

From “The Gray Fox – Robert E. Lee” by R. Southey-Freeman
Orange & West 1958

“Johnston had his troops on the move before nightfall. In order to round the Federal line they did have to march northwards aways, but beyond the sight of Federal eyes the troops turned west and then south, passing behind Longstreet’s lines. Allegheny Johnston was to follow Jackson southwards. As the last of Johnson’s troops passed in the rear of Longstreet, he was to peel off his divisions and follow, starting with Anderson…

Jackson himself was already on the march, having left only Ewell’s Division in the rear to hold Longstreet’s flank until Johnson arrived…”

wagon_train.jpg

Many of the captured wagons contained rebel wounded

From “The Blue Eyed Prophet of War” by Robert Lee Thomas
Carlotta Press 1906

“Lee had entrusted the fearless Jackson with the most difficult of tasks. Jackson was not only to lead the movement south, but he was also tasked with finding Lee’s “good ground”. Advancing down the Emmitsburg Pike initially, once beyond the Federal flank, Jackson directed his troops south east in the direction of Taneytown. His objective was to get between the Army of the Potomac and its direct lines of communication with Washington…

If one force was capable of out distancing any Yankee pursuit it was the Second Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia, Jackson’s foot cavalry, led once again by A.P. Hill’s incomparable Light Division…”

From "Always The General - The Life of John Fulton Reynolds" by Jed Bradshaw
Penn State 1999

“It was apparent to the Union forces on the high ground south of Gettysburg that the bulk of the rebel forces had marched off in the night. Reynolds had already ordered Williams’ XII Corps into motion northwards to follow IX Corps and the single division of V Corps already moving north…

Above all Reynolds needed intelligence as to the roads and routes being used by Lee. Was the intended target Carlisle and a crossing of the Susquehanna north of Harrisburg or would Lee try the defences of Harrisburg itself again? In truth while Union officers speculated wildly about the potential target of Lee’s movement, “Anywhere from Pittsburgh to Perdition via Philadelphia” (Dan Sickles), Reynolds understood that he rode with Lee’s intended target – the Army of the Potomac. In discussions with his aide, Major Joseph G. Rosengarten, Reynolds confided “Lee looks only for the ground to meet us on and the opportunity to do so to his advantage.”…

One can only imagine Reynolds’ distress when, before midday, an urgent galloper found his staff with a message from General Buford. Pleasanton had dispatched Custer’s brigade to raid a lightly guarded section of wagons to take prisoners with a view to obtaining the intelligence so vital to Reynolds' movements. The rebel cavalry screen, such as it was, had fled. The wagons, Custer had discovered, were either empty or full of southern wounded. Wagons Lee had deemed “expendable”. Many were recent acquisitions from Sigel’s force or from the good citizens of Pennsylvania…

Reynolds knew he had been bluffed, but if Lee was not marching on Harrisburg, where was he?...”

Colonel William McComb of Pennsylvania & Tennessee

From “The Blue Eyed Prophet of War” by Robert Lee Thomas
Carlotta Press 1906

“At the lead of Hill’s Light Division was Archer’s Brigade, and first on the road was the 14th Tennessee under Colonel William McComb. It was not by accident the McComb led the vanguard. William McComb was a Pennsylvanian, born and raised until his twenties, though a Tennessean by his own adoption and southern by inclination. Though born in Mercer County in western Pennsylvania, McComb was familiar with this area from his days in the flour business before moving to Tennessee. Hill knew from McComb that beyond Taneytown there should be a creek, Pipe Creek, which might shield the Confederate force if it were to rest and concentrate after its difficult manoeuvre disengaging from the unusually slothful Yankees at Gettysburg…”

Last edited:

With Rebels positioned between DC and the AOP it would be a brave and perhaps rather foolish Union General who sat on his hands. Washington is perhaps only contactable by sea. I imagine that having lost contact with the government the Northern press will go mad. "Washington Cut Off"! "President Besieged"! "Army of the Potomoc Helpless before Lee" etc.

Reynolds will have to attack in my view...

There is still Reno's corps in Washington DC. I imagine that Kearny would order it to proceed north and hit Lee from the rear.

There is still Reno's corps in Washington DC. I imagine that Kearny would order it to proceed north and hit Lee from the rear.

Its Rodman's VI Corps plus William Birney's divison of the Army of the James. But you are right - I can see Kearny doing just that.

PS - I like the stuff about the Northern rebel. We hear lots about southern unionists but not a lot about northern rebels (except Pemberton).

Just finished reading through this thing in it's entirety.
Phenomenally well done!

However, as someone who has no more than a layman's knowledge of the (crucially important) generals' and other individuals' names, I have lost count of how many times I was left completely in the dark.

In multiple spots, references only to "XYZ's Division" or "ABC's Brigade" left me completely clueless as to who was what, was fighting for whom.

But that's my own ignorance on the subject. :)

Just finished reading through this thing in it's entirety.
Phenomenally well done!

However, as someone who has no more than a layman's knowledge of the (crucially important) generals' and other individuals' names, I have lost count of how many times I was left completely in the dark.

In multiple spots, references only to "XYZ's Division" or "ABC's Brigade" left me completely clueless as to who was what, was fighting for whom.

But that's my own ignorance on the subject. :)

Yes me to. I look everyone up and so far I haven't found a single made up character! Some real characters have been picked out of obscurity.

My internet reconnection is next Monday. In the meantime some teasers:

• War Criminals of the South​
  • In the West - The Battle of Four Armies​
  • The 1864 Election and the Reluctant Democrat​
  • John Wilkes Booth - A Three Part Act​
  • The Blue Eyed Prophet and the Great Exodus​
images

Last edited:
Chapter Seventy-Six The Pipe Creek Line of Gray
Chapter Seventy-Six

The Pipe Creek Line of Gray

From “The Pipe Creek Line”, an essay by R. Southey-Freeman

"The Pipe Creek Line was named after a stream called Big Pipe Creek which flows generally east to west across the north central portion of Carroll County Maryland. Just east of Taneytown (pronounced Tawnytown) the creek turns southward then again westward forming a wide arc approximately 3 miles south of Taneytown . Along the south side of Big Pipe Creek is a row of hills which range in height from just under 100' to over 200' above the creek. It was along these hills that the Confederate Army would be placed. This was the Pipe Creek Line. From its easternmost end in Manchester to the westernmost end just north of Middleburg, the Pipe Creek Line was approximately 20 miles long. The easternmost half of the Pipe Creek Line lies approximately three and a half miles south of, and roughly parallel to, the Mason-Dixon Line (about 16 miles south of Gettysburg on the Littlestown Pike)...

PCL1.jpg

This is the probable location of Johnson's initial Headquarters in Manchester Md. the easternmost end of the Pipe Creek Line. There was once a house in the open space in front, which is thought to have been his actual headquarters location. You are looking northwesterly toward Gettysburg which is about 22 straight line miles away

From the area where Lee’s army had left the Union Army, there were three possible routes of approach to Washington and Baltimore. The first, and easternmost of the three, The Hanover Pike, runs directly between Hanover, Pa. and Baltimore, Md. and passes through Manchester, Md. The range of hills which comprise the Pipe Creek Line runs directly through Manchester. Manchester therefore became the easternmost end of the Pipe Creek Line. Lt. Gen. Edward “Allegheny” Johnson's III Corps would anchor the Confederate Army's right flank in Manchester, and would block the Hanover Pike route of approach to Baltimore.

The second possible route of approach for Gen. Reynolds was the Littlestown Pike. This was, and is, the road from Gettysburg to Baltimore, passing through Littlestown Pa., Union Mills Md., Westminster, and Reisterstown. This road passed through the heart of the Pipe Creek Line. Lt. Gen. James Longstreet would command in the centre. Where the Littlestown Pike crossed the hills just south of Union Mills was a key position in the Pipe Creek Line because the Littlestown Pike was most direct route from Gettysburg to Baltimore. Once in position, Lt. Gen. Longstreet would connect his right to the left of Lt. Gen. Johnson’s Corps, and would extend his left along the Pipe Creek Line westerly toward Taneytown.

PCL6.jpg

This the crest of the Pipe Creek Line on Littletown Pike, just south of Union Mills. Gen Longstreet would have been in command of three divisions of his I Corps in this area and his headquarters site would likely have been very near to, if not at, this location. You are looking due east toward Manchester, about 6 miles away. Gettysburg is about 15 miles northwesterly from here.

The third and westernmost of the three possible approach routes was the Taneytown Pike. The Pike runs from Taneytown directly to Westminster where it joins the Littlestown Pike then continues on toward Baltimore. To defend this route Lt. Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson’s II Corps would concentrate...

Under his hastily formed plan Gen. Lee finally took 2 divisions from Lt. Gen. Longstreet’s I Corps, French’s and Pickett’s, to hold in reserve near Unionstown with the artillery and cavalry reserves…

Topographically, the Pipe Creek Line is a natural tangle of ravines and ridges, particularly the eastern half of the line. These in themselves provided a strong natural defence rendering much of the line unsuitable for the full-scale offensive necessary to break the line and defeat the Confederate Army. The topography changes however in the vicinity of Taneytown. The landscape becomes broader, and the hills are not as steep making the terrain more favourable to large scale military operations. In addition there are several possible routes of approach from the Gettysburg/Chambersburg area toward Taneytown, these would have allowed the Union Army to concentrate there from several directions. These facts were not overlooked by Gen. Lee in his planning of the defence. It was because of them that he had planned for his strongest concentration of force, four divisions under Lt. Gen. Jackson plus the reserves to be positioned here...

pcl12.jpg

This is the "famous" Pipe Creek of which we have been referring to during this tour. You are looking downstream in the general direction of Taneytown.

The Pipe Creek Line also had in its favour several tactical advantages. Its heights offered not only a formidable natural barrier, they also provided vantage points for lookout posts and signal stations. There was also a good road network immediately behind, and roughly parallel to the Pipe Creek Line. These allowed for rapid movement of troops and communications to various points along the line. These roads parallel to the line were intersected at fairly regular intervals by other roads, all of which provided direct links to Westminster. Another important advantage of the Pipe Creek Line for the cautious Lee was the fact that a defeated Confederate Army would be able to retreat west across the Catoctin Mountain and move towards Hagerstown and into the Valley...

This was the impressive defensive position that confronted Gen. Reynolds and the Army of the Potomac when they arrived north of the Creek and full day and a half after Lee..."

Last edited: