A House Divided Can Stand Alone: A TL

The Dude

Banned
Honestly, I passed over this TL a couple times recently and then I noticed that you were the author and so I have some hopes for it. Good luck! And please feel free to try and use the community to your advantage. Don't let the occasional "ASB!" comment discourage you. The dozen posts are the hardest. I need to get past that hump myself. :rolleyes:
TBH, I think that this TL might go into the implausible at times, but I will try to preserve a level of realism. Also, it appears you have sigged me, which is always a plus.:)

The Vulture

Banned
You've got some very creative ideas here, interested to see where you go with this. Though I do think Solo raised some excellent points.

starting the TL with a independent CSA may help in that you don't have to detail the ACW reason.
However you do have to think about [and show - hopefully] some other back story. Mexico - Prussian-Franco war - Cuba, etc.

The Dude

Banned
starting the TL with a independent CSA may help in that you don't have to detail the ACW reason.
However you do have to think about [and show - hopefully] some other back story. Mexico - Prussian-Franco war - Cuba, etc.
Don't worry, I have plans for Cuba. I doubt the Franco-Prussian war will not be very different, as the treaty (that will be talked about later) does not apply if the nation in question declares war. Mexico, however, is a bit different. I am not exactly sure how they will fit into my TL, or if they will at all.

You've got some very creative ideas here, interested to see where you go with this. Though I do think Solo raised some excellent points.
Yes, yes he did, though I do think he misunderstood what direction I want to take this TL. Also, thank you very much. I really am quite astonished by the level of praise I'm getting here. Even Solo was at least slightly positive.
Suscribed.
Thank you.

The Dude

Banned
I hath prepared a Mini-Update.

[FONT=&quot]The Anglo-Franco-American Treaty Of Defense[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]In 1879, the Anglo-Franco-American Treaty Of Defense (or AFATOD, it’s rather humorous acronym) was passed through the deciding bodies of the three nations. It had several articles, but these were the most important:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• · [FONT=&quot]This treaty may only apply if one of our three nations has war declared upon itself.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]If the nation in question is in another alliance, and that alliance member is attacked, causing one of our three nations to go to war, it will not be supported by the other to signatories of this treaty. (NOTE: the example the President used to explain this before congress is quite interesting, to say the least. He said, “so, hypothetically, if France and Serbia were to be in the Same alliance, and Austria-Hungary were to invade Serbia, then neither the United States or the United Kingdom would be obligated to intervene in the conflict.”)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• · [FONT=&quot]This treaty shall be considered null and void should the United States declare war on the Confederate States.[/FONT]

Also, why aren't more people commenting on my earlier post? *remembers that I am on everybody's ignore list* Oh, right.

Beautiful way to solve those pesky little problems nitpickers have noticed.
I can't wait to see how both the CSA and USA screw with eachother and Europe.

The Dude

Banned
Beautiful way to solve those pesky little problems nitpickers have noticed.
I can't wait to see how both the CSA and USA screw with eachother and Europe.
Actually, I had that sort of idea before people started pointing out the major flaw in this. I realized that there was a flaw before I began this TL, and I found a way to correct it. Also, the Confederacy wont be doing much screwing of anybody, due to it's strict isolationist policies. The USA, however...
well, lets just say that a future amendment's nickname will be the "fuck the rebs amendment".:D

Actually, I had that sort of idea before people started pointing out the major flaw in this. I realized that there was a flaw before I began this TL, and I found a way to correct it. Also, the Confederacy wont be doing much screwing of anybody, due to it's strict isolationist policies. The USA, however...
well, lets just say that a future amendment's nickname will be the "fuck the rebs amendment".:D

I'm interested. Did I detect a hint of foreshadowing in the President's example?

I'd like to see how this affected Europe and Mexico. Did the Confederacy give token support to France during the FPW? What kind of government emerged as the dominant one in Mexico? The Emperor, or the Republicans?

The Dude

Banned
I'm interested. Did I detect a hint of foreshadowing in the President's example?
It wasn't a hint. It was an outright statement.:rolleyes:
I'd like to see how this affected Europe and Mexico. Did the Confederacy give token support to France during the FPW? What kind of government emerged as the dominant one in Mexico? The Emperor, or the Republicans?
The CSA sent several battalions of men in the FPW, though it didn't have much effect. The Emperor won out. The USA didn't like that one bit when it happened, but now, they may give little ol' Mexico some support when the inevitable rebels show up. EDIT: The Inevitable Rebels would make an awesome name for a band.

mowque

Banned
One word of warning. Don't let your TL get bogged down in nitpicking and replies to that but also don't ignore advice.

P.S. AVOID cliches like the plague! ;)

The Dude

Banned
One word of warning. Don't let your TL get bogged down in nitpicking and replies to that but also don't ignore advice.

P.S. AVOID cliches like the plague! ;)
Thank you for the comments. And the whole "avoid cliches" thing was the entire point of this TL, so I think I might do a pretty good job of that.:)

The Dude

Banned
A new update! Hooray!

[FONT=&quot]Reconstruction[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After the AFATOD was signed, things were beginning to look slightly better for the United States. They had two powerful new allies, and they’re unfriendly neighbor to the South had promised not to cause any trouble. Many Americans were astounded by how quickly things had gone from terrible to prosperous almost overnight. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In 1876, a new president was elected: former General George Armstrong Custer. Custer had been riding high aftr his numerous victories in the Great Sioux War of 1876, so there was little opposition from his opponent, Sameul J Tilden. During his innaguration speech, he said that “there was a national feeling of shame over the War of Scecession”, and called for “reconstruction of this country’s national image”. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Of the domestic events dealt with during the Custer administration, the return of the Greenback to the gold standard is often cited as the most important. After British and French capital came pouring in, the American monetary system needed a new way to represent it’s newfound abundance of money. After looking through many options (some not so thoroughly as others), Custer decided that a return to the gold would be the most beneficial option to the economy. This has been cited as the main cause of the great economic boom of the 1870’s.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tensions arose between the fragile new Anglo-Franco-American Alliance when France began to propose an idea for the construction of a canal in Panama, to be controlled by France. This greatly angered Custer, as he saw this action as a violation of the Monroe Doctrine. He issued a formal complaint to the government of France. Eventually, he was forced to let the French company assigned to the task complete it’s business. Fortunately for Franco-American relations, the company went bankrupt in 1888 and the canal was never finished as planned by France.[/FONT]

Also, for those wondering, the settlement of the War of the Triple Alliance went as OTL, and now everything Paraguayan that is named after Hayes is now named after Custer, i.e; Villa Custer instead of Villa Hayes.

The Dude

Banned
I though pres custer was a cliche?
Well, it seemed likely. Its a bit hard to create a TL with no cliches whatsoever. I just didn't want to have an overcliched TL. The future presidents, as I have them planned, are, I think, very unique. Also, I honestly believe that if Custer were alive at that time, he would have run for president, and most likely would have won.

Well, it seemed likely. Its a bit hard to create a TL with no cliches whatsoever. I just didn't want to have an overcliched TL. The future presidents, as I have them planned, are, I think, very unique. Also, I honestly believe that if Custer were alive at that time, he would have run for president, and most likely would have won.

Panama didn't exist yet. It was still a part of Colombia. Maybe the Americans in TTL have better luck convincing the government in Bogota to let them finish the unfinished canal in Panama.

I mostly try to avoid cliches too, doesn't work out so well for me though.:eek:

The Dude

Banned
Panama didn't exist yet. It was still a part of Colombia. Maybe the Americans in TTL have better luck convincing the government in Bogota to let them finish the unfinished canal in Panama.
I know it didn't, I was just referring to the region of Panama. Also, perhaps they might...