Wrapped In Flames

TFSmith121

Banned
There's the obvious point that the rebels had

If this sums up your attitude you'll forgive me if I stop taking you seriously. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm sure you're more mature than that.When you're interested in a serious debate please do stop by again.

Mobilization is not easy, but it's not sexy and most amateurs think armies spring from the ground like the Spartoi... there are realities to the process that are universal and can't be handwaved away, as per the performance of the Upper Canada volunteers at Ridgeway, but no matter.

There's also the obvious point that the rebels - all six million of them - had a tad more strategic depth than Upper and Lower Canada, of course.

Best,

Mobilization is not easy, but it's not sexy and most amateurs think armies spring from the ground like the Spartoi...

Well thankfully no one has suggested that, obviously.

there are realities to the process that are universal and can't be handwaved away, as per the performance of the Upper Canada volunteers at Ridgeway, but no matter.

Your peculiar fixation on Ridgeway (versus say Eccles Hill) and its dubious comparisons to the situation in WIF aside, no one is arguing for any sort of Canadian militia 'supermen' or miracles of logistics. But given the realities of what the British accomplished in a single month in 1861, suggesting that they could do rather more with seven months preparation TTL doesn't seem like a stretch.

After all, absent the advent of modern vehicles the chances of an overwhelming American offensive being mounted over the border in the winter of 62-63 before the opening of the campaign season in May is rather small.

There's also the obvious point that the rebels - all six million of them - had a tad more strategic depth than Upper and Lower Canada, of course.

Well yes, but as the realities of 1775 and 1812-14 made rather clear, pointing to places on a map and marching an army to them in the face of determined resistance is a rather difficult endeavor. There's more than a few rather excellent defensive positions between the border and Quebec after all.

The British and Canadians were not idiots.

TFSmith121

Banned
Idiots? No....

Idiots? No.

Outnumbered? Yes.

And by extension, outgunned? Also yes.

Quantity has a quality all of its own, after all.;)

And given the relative performance of the British and US armies (since there wasn't a Canadian army, since there wasn't a Canada, after all) in the period?

Pretty clearly out-generalled as well, and so the quantity and quality equation vs. lack thereof certainly comes into play.

But more importantly, what started this particular latest discussion was your estimate of 70,000 mobilized BNAers; given the historical percentages in the US at this very same time, either the US "should" get more troops than historically to match, or the BNAers should get less, unless, of course, you are asserting a voluntary mobilization in BNA in the 1860s would somehow produce more men per thousand then a voluntary mobilization in the US in the 1860s...

After all, if you are using "one-third of the registered sedentary militia" as your baseline for the province of Canada, then the US should have gotten 1 million+ in 1860... Which of course it did not, which suggests your methodology is a little off. Lists of names on county clerk's registers were just that, north or south of the US-BNA border; given that there are not any records of how many BNAers actually showed up in the winter of 1861-62, since there actually weren't any mobilizations, there isn't any hard information as to how many might have shown up if the balloon went up - it is interesting, however, that in an official British war office publication, published at the time, the total number of volunteers and militia combined listed for the province is roughly ~25,000.

Even doubling that only goes to ~50,000...

And that's without conscription, of course.;)

Best,

Last edited:
I genuinely don't know why you two still discuss this. Its clear you have fundamental disagreements over both historical and ahistorical interpretations of the period in general and of a war between the US and UK during the period, so much so that you're never going to come to consensus or sway the other.

You've both created fantastic timelines that are fascinating and (in my mind) both feasible. is it best to just live and let live at this point, given how sweeping the disagreements are and how long the discussion has gone on for?

I genuinely don't know why you two still discuss this. Its clear you have fundamental disagreements over both historical and ahistorical interpretations of the period in general and of a war between the US and UK during the period, so much so that you're never going to come to consensus or sway the other.

You've both created fantastic timelines that are fascinating and (in my mind) both feasible. is it best to just live and let live at this point, given how sweeping the disagreements are and how long the discussion has gone on for?

At this point you'll have to ask TFSmith. He evidently takes issue with my interpretation, and chooses to criticize it. I'm merely showing my research and thinking.

If he's content to continue the discussion maturely he's free to do so. I may or may not respond to him depending.

Outnumbered? Yes.

Quantity has a quality all of its own, after all.;)

Hmm going by numbers alone the historical example provides quite a few bits of evidence where quantity versus quality has failed rather spectacularly.

Queenston Heights, Lundy's Lane, Chateauguay, 1st and 2nd Lacolle, or for more contemporary examples, Inkerman, Pea Ridge, Second Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Cold Harbor seem pretty instructive where an army on the offensive outnumbering its opponent doesn't do so well.

So in a scenario where the British and Canadians are on the defence, using the historical precedent of the previous invasions and the 1860s in general does not fill one with overwhelming confidence in an easy invasion.

And by extension, outgunned? Also yes.

In terms of number of guns brought to bear, yes. The quality of those guns is so debatable that I'm content to ignore it without historical precedents applied by others.

And given the relative performance of the British and US armies (since there wasn't a Canadian army, since there wasn't a Canada, after all) in the period?

This is again incredibly debatable. Britain, without exception, won every major conflict they entered into in the 1850s-60s.

America won the only major conflict it entered into in the 1850s-60s.

A side by side comparison would show stunning incompetence on either side, and a few generally exceptional leaders. I'm really not prepared to pronounce overwhelming superiority to one side over the other.

Pretty clearly out-generalled as well, and so the quantity and quality equation vs. lack thereof certainly comes into play.

Considering the stellar leaders available to immediately lead any proposed invasion of Canada ranges from men like Pope to Burnside, I'll let their own legacies speak for them.

But more importantly, what started this particular latest discussion was your estimate of 70,000 mobilized BNAers; given the historical percentages in the US at this very same time, either the US "should" get more troops than historically to match, or the BNAers should get less, unless, of course, you are asserting a voluntary mobilization in BNA in the 1860s would somehow produce more men per thousand then a voluntary mobilization in the US in the 1860s...

This of course makes zero sense. Why should I give the US more than they had historically? There's no compelling reason that they are capable of arming and equipping 500,000 more men than they had historically. ITTL I already posited a further 100,000 men joining the colors. That means they're getting close to hitting the limit of men they were able to arm absent imported weapons. It's just not possible to do.

Then of course we hit the issue of the differences between a voluntary mobilization in Canada and the US. There's no internal divisions worth the name in Canada to prevent a gradual rallying of men around the flag. Going by the historical military excitement that gripped the colony from 1855-1861 and the first and second hand sources describing the attitudes of the Canadians themselves.

Assuming the same number of volunteers in March 1862 (14,000) plus the call out of the sedentary flank companies (38,000) goes as planned (and as the first and second hand sources describe we have no reason to believe this isn't the case) then by March 1862 that's 52,000 men under arms. The next 20,000 men comes from my estimation that the British would put pressure on the Canadians to call out more members of the sedentary militia to form garrison troops for important points and the lines of communication. Given the already existing surge of patriotism from the threat of invasion, then the arm twisting from the imperial government and the skills of the Canadian politicians at the time, this seems like something that is perfectly possible.

ALists of names on county clerk's registers were just that, north or south of the US-BNA border; given that there are not any records of how many BNAers actually showed up in the winter of 1861-62, since there actually weren't any mobilizations, there isn't any hard information as to how many might have shown up if the balloon went up - it is interesting, however, that in an official British war office publication, published at the time, the total number of volunteers and militia combined listed for the province is roughly ~25,000.

The bolded is of course the most salient point. Though as the firsthand sources like Vansittart, Somerville, the 1862 Commissioners, and John A himself show, there was absolutely no doubt by the people in power or on the ground that the mobilization numbers they imagined were feasible. That the secondary sources like Bourne, Stacey, Preston, Hitsman, and Bokio agree with that idea, then I'm fairly confident in my assumption.

I place more faith in accredited historians personally.

And that's without conscription, of course.;)

I've probably explained to you at least 3 times why conscription would be both unthinkable and unneeded in any 1860s conflict in Canada. You're clearly content to ignore that argument, so I don't think this merits discussion.

TFSmith121

Banned
Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks for the kind words.

Best,

TFSmith121

Banned
How about the Secretary of State for War in 1863?

I place more faith in accredited historians personally.

How about the Secretary of State for War in 1863? Who was, after all, the British cabinet member charged with trying to defend BNA if the balloon went up...

As in:

Petrie, Capt. Martin (14th F.) and James, Col. Sir Henry (RE - Topographical and Statistical Dept., War Office), Organization, Composition, and Strength of the Army of Great Britain, London: Her Majesty’s Stationary Office; by direction of the Secretary of State for War, 1863 (preface dated Nov., 1862)

BNA:
Province of Canada – 10,000 militia (August, 1862); + 1,615 VC; 1,687 VA; 202 VE; 10,615 VI
NS – 269 VA; 2,132 VI (June, 1862)
NB – 1850 (VA and I) (March, 1861)
PEI – 1,643 (VA and VI) (June, 1862)
NF – 267 (5 cos.) (July, 1862)
BC & VI: 44 (August, 1862)

Page 30 of the book linked here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=lFA...epage&q&f=true

Best,

Last edited:

TFSmith121

Banned
He was a first-class in classics and second- in mathematics;

Well to the best of my knowledge the man isn't an accredited historian. So I'm not sure what particular relevance he holds to my point about placing faith in accredited historians.

Sir George Cornewall Lewis was a first-class in classics and second- in mathematics at Oxford, so presumably he could read; and in 1861-63, he was, after all, the individual charged with overseeing the Queen's Armee... as well as a former chancellor of the exchequer and home secretary.

Presumably the Secretary of State for War, his staff, and the various and sundry officers who included the aforementioned authors (Petrie, Capt. Martin (14th F.) and James, Col. Sir Henry (RE, and assigned to the Topographical and Statistical Dept., War Office), had some idea of the available military resources in BNA in 1862...

If not, that would suggest the British have some even more serious problems than are apparent ...;)

Best,

Sir George Cornewall Lewis was a first-class in classics and second- in mathematics at Oxford, so presumably he could read

Well that's a nice factoid about him I wasn't aware of. However, unless he just happened to write a book specifically regarding the military situation in Canada in the 1860s he's not particularly relevant as an accredited historian.

TFSmith121

Banned
He was the secretary of state for war in 1861-63...

Well that's a nice factoid about him I wasn't aware of. However, unless he just happened to write a book specifically regarding the military situation in Canada in the 1860s he's not particularly relevant as an accredited historian.

Organization, Composition, and Strength of the Army of Great Britain was written by two serving officers and published by the war ministry ... in 1863, reviewing the personnel strength of the British Army and the colonial troops in 1861-62, so it is an official and primary source that deals with exactly the issue under discussion.

And you're ignoring it? Fascinating.

Best,

Yes he was, but point of fact, you brought him up in response to my preferance for an accredited historian.

Organization, Composition, and Strength of the Army of Great Britain was written by two serving officers and published by the war ministry ... in 1863

Yes, 1863. What particular relevance that has to a hypothetical mobilization over the winter of 1861-62 is somewhat questionable.

TFSmith121

Banned
Published in 1863; corrected to 1862; using figures

Yes he was, but point of fact, you brought him up in response to my preferance for an accredited historian. Yes, 1863. What particular relevance that has to a hypothetical mobilization over the winter of 1861-62 is somewhat questionable.

Published in 1863; corrected to 1862; using figures drawn from 1861-62.

Well worth reading.

Best,

My only response to this debate...

GirlsGirls1.jpg

TFSmith121

Banned
The British Army only believed there were 25,000 part-time soldiers that

And it's particular relevance to a hypothetical Canadian mobilization in the winter of 1861-62 is?

That in 1862, the British Army only believed there were only 25,000 part-time soldiers - 15,000 volunteers and 10,000 militia, specifically - that could be counted on to show up in the Province of Canada if the balloon went up?

Not 38,000, 70,000, 100,000, or anything else?

Best,

:p fair, but TFSmith clearly thinks he's making some kind of point. I'm curious as to what he thinks it is at the very least.

his point is that the British have a far smaller immediately available army that they can send which of course seriously impacts events in the timeline

but you know that

although frankly you should both stick to writing your own timelines and stop sniping at each other

That in 1862, the British Army only believed there were only 25,000 part-time soldiers - 15,000 volunteers and 10,000 militia, specifically - that could be counted on to show up in the Province of Canada if the balloon went up?

Not 38,000, 70,000, 100,000, or anything else?

Best,

So then nothing to do with a hypothetical mobilization? Got it.