WI: Joe Clark decides two-thirds is enough (Clark in '84)

A quick search tells me that there have been threads about Clark's government continuing (either via a majority in '79, winning in '80, or just having better political instincts), and even about him returning to the leadership after Mulroney, but I didn't see anything about his leadership problems going differently.

After his loss in 1980, Clark decided to stay on as leader, but his leadership was dogged by criticism and dissent; the party's 1981 convention saw a 33.5% delegates voting in favour of holding a leadership race. Clark worked to bring dissidents to his side, but the issue resurfaced at the 1983 convention, with 33.1% voting for a race with 66.9% against. In an effort to silence his critics and consequently strengthen his leadership, Clark took the bold step of resigning and then running to succeed himself. However, he ultimately lost the leadership convention to Brian Mulroney.

Clark's decision to resign despite having two-thirds support puzzled many; famously, during their first meeting at a state dinner, Prince Charles asked him outright "why wasn't two-thirds enough?"

So, what if Clark decides two-thirds is enough— and leads the party in the 1984 election?

The immediate and obvious consequence is that his leadership surely continues to face notable intra-party opposition. Similarly, he's a weaker candidate than Mulroney, not having his charisma (and certainly not delivering his "you had an option" zinger) nor his deep connections to Quebec. The PC party will be in a relatively lesser position heading into the election.

But the PCs were still soaring in the polls, and Turner is still a weak, gaffe-prone campaigner who took the helm of a tired party recently beset by scandal. Clark, at least by comparison, was young and energetic; and while he's obviously no Quebecer, he was still making inroads into the province by courting soft nationalists and becoming impressively bilingual. As I see it, Clark surely wins his majority, but not with the overwhelming landslide that Mulroney accomplished.

How would the Clark government differ from the Mulroney government? A few things I'm wondering:

• Clark was a moderate figure in a party where much of it, especially the grassroots, were shifting rightwards and embracing monetarist reforms. Does Clark hold firm or follow suit?

• What would a Clark government's foreign relations be like? I imagine the actual policies would be similar to OTL, since Clark was effectively given free reign in that department— but might they come across differently? Clark's tenure as external affairs minister is notable for how it broke with the US/UK on many issues, such as Apartheid; yet never caused any major rifts in relations, because Mulroney had strong relationships with Reagan and Thatcher. Would Clark's relationship be less rosy, and therefore his policies more contentious?

• Would Clark pursue constitutional affairs as vigorously as Mulroney? As in, would he continue to pursue it even in the face of failure and mounting political fallout? If ATL Meech fails, is ATL Charlottetown put on the backburner— and how does that affect things?

• What does Mulroney do? At the time of his election to the leadership, he had no electoral experience; does he even run for a seat in 1984? If so, where does he land in cabinet?

• In general, how is Clark looking for re-election in '88… and, perhaps, beyond?

• Changing tack: how are the Liberals faring? If Turner avoids a blowout, does the party avoid the nastier parts of the Turner–Chrétien infighting?

• How does a Clark premiership affect the Reform Party? I'm thinking western alienation is still potent enough for them to break through, especially with Clark's moderation, but given Clark is a westerner himself I doubt they can seize the entirety of the Tories' western base. Are we looking at, essentially, a reverse-NDP: wins a handful of seats, establishes itself in its own niche, and never poses a serious threat but exerts an outsized influence?

For one, his weakness in Quebec (and overall, really, seeing how he isn’t the breath of fresh air that Mulroney was, or as charismatic) is definitely going to help the Liberals. Probably not enough to keep them in power, or even to prevent a Clark majority, but it’ll still be a great deal better than OTL.

Without the backing of Quebec nationalists, I feel like Clark would put the constitution on the back burner. While this would irritate nationalists to no end, this probably helps the PCs in the long run as it means they’re unlikely to suffer their OTL collapse.

As for 1988, I feel like if Clark pursues Free Trade like Mulroney, I think we end up with a Liberal majority, since Mulroney’s Quebec support really saved him IOTL and I really doubt Clark would be able to replicate that to a significant degree.

One other possible butterfly: Clark staying on, and likely doing worse in the polls than Mulroney, might give Trudeau enough incentive to stay on as Liberal leader and try for another term.

Without the backing of Quebec nationalists, I feel like Clark would put the constitution on the back burner. While this would irritate nationalists to no end, this probably helps the PCs in the long run as it means they’re unlikely to suffer their OTL collapse.
Clark still has the backing of Quebec nationalists; by 1983, he was courting them as part of his strategy to make inroads in the province. This was actually a point of criticism from other Tories, including— in the irony of ironies— Brian Mulroney, who accused him of "playing footsie with the PQ."

That said, since he would almost certainly have less fortune in Quebec, they would represent a smaller proportion of his electoral coalition.

One other possible butterfly: Clark staying on, and likely doing worse in the polls than Mulroney, might give Trudeau enough incentive to stay on as Liberal leader and try for another term.
Oh, this is something I didn't consider! And yet, the more I mull this over, the more I can see it— Trudeau had unexpectedly defeated Clark once before, so it's easy to see how he and others could get to thinking that, for all his unpopularity, he's done it before and he's the best shot at doing it again.

And, obviously, a Trudeau-led Liberal Party would completely change the tenor of the election. Just by having Trudeau himself at the helm, his tenure and legacy would be interrogated to a much greater degree, while his late-term patronage appointments would be a fairly unremarkable event instead of an election-defining scandal. As a much more able and experienced campaigner, he would surely avoid many of Turner's gaffes and otherwise campaign issues, though I imagine Trudeau would have plenty unique to him— in '84 I think we're more likely to see the haughty and arrogant Trudeau than the charming and charismatic one. And of course there's just the native son aspect. I think Trudeau definitely loses here, but probably mounts a respectable challenge. Certainly, despite his unpopularity at the time, it's hard to imagine Trudeau doing any worse than Turner did IOTL…

There would surely be a knock-on effect for the leadership, too… Turner probably doesn't jump back into politics knowing he'll be on opposition benches for four years. Who's in the running to succeed him instead, do you think?

There would surely be a knock-on effect for the leadership, too… Turner probably doesn't jump back into politics knowing he'll be on opposition benches for four years. Who's in the running to succeed him instead, do you think?
Chretien for sure, Tom and/or Lloyd Axworthy, Don Johnston, and maybe people like Judy Erola, Gerald Regan, Jean-Jacques Blais, and/or John Roberts if, unlike IOTL, they're able to hold onto their seats. I also wouldn't completely rule out bids from Marc Lalonde or Iona Campagnolo, though they're a bit more unlikely.

With Turner presumably out, I also wouldn’t rule out Paul Martin entering politics earlier and aiming for the leadership straight away, now that I think about it.

Last edited:
I'm very curious as to who eventually replaces Clark. If he lasts until 1988, does Mulroney mount another bid?

Who becomes the right wing candidate? Crosbie? Wilson? Pocklington?

I'm very curious as to who eventually replaces Clark. If he lasts until 1988, does Mulroney mount another bid?

Who becomes the right wing candidate? Crosbie? Wilson? Pocklington?
Presuming that Clark's wooing of Quebec is good for something like 15-20 seats— their best result in decades— I think there's going to be a strong desire to nurture and grow their newfound Quebec base. So the next leader would have to be, if not a Quebecer, then at least impressively bilingual. That would sink Crosbie and Wilson, whose French was very bad.

Mulroney would definitely be the frontrunner, if he does end up standing for election in '84. If he doesn't, I'm not sure who'd be seen as the major figure in Quebec (maybe, for a chuckle, we can look at Gilles Bernier and Robert Layton). Among bilingual anglos, though, Perrin Beatty seems like he'd be the leading candidate.