Who would the 1932 Democratic presidential nominee be if FDR had lost his bid for governor of New York?

FDR's efforts as governor of New York to address the Depression were crucial in establishing him as the clear front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1932. But his first election to that office in 1928 was extremely narrow, he defeated the Republican nominee by just 25,000 votes, or 0.6%. So what if he had lost this election?
IOTL the three major Democratic presidential candidates were Roosevelt, former New York Governor Al Smith, and House Speaker John Nance Garner. At first, I assumed that Smith would get the nomination, he came in second IOTL, but per Wikipedia he actually had very little interest in another presidential campaign after his landslide defeat in 1928, the main reason he ran in 32 was resentment towards Roosevelt. So without FDR in the governor's mansion, I doubt Smith runs. As for John Nance Garner, by all accounts he was perfectly happy as Speaker and had basically no interest in the presidency. To the extent his "campaign" existed it was a vehicle for anti-Roosevelt Democratic leaders to win delegates in an attempt to stop his nomination at the convention.
In short, without FDR winning in 1928, not only would he not be a presidential candidate in 1932, his two main rivals probably wouldn't be as well. Who are some other potential Democrats who might throw their hats in the ring? With the Depression a Democratic victory in 1932 is pretty much guaranteed, so I imagine a lot of people would run, probably leading to a divided convention that would take lots of negotiating in smoke-filled rooms to hammer out. Whoever wins will take the reins of power in one of the biggest crossroads in American history.

Perhaps Corder Hull he was second place in the 1928 primary but his national recognition might be too small and localized to the south

FDR's efforts as governor of New York to address the Depression were crucial in establishing him as the clear front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1932. But his first election to that office in 1928 was extremely narrow, he defeated the Republican nominee by just 25,000 votes, or 0.6%. So what if he had lost this election?
IOTL the three major Democratic presidential candidates were Roosevelt, former New York Governor Al Smith, and House Speaker John Nance Garner. At first, I assumed that Smith would get the nomination, he came in second IOTL, but per Wikipedia he actually had very little interest in another presidential campaign after his landslide defeat in 1928, the main reason he ran in 32 was resentment towards Roosevelt. So without FDR in the governor's mansion, I doubt Smith runs. As for John Nance Garner, by all accounts he was perfectly happy as Speaker and had basically no interest in the presidency. To the extent his "campaign" existed it was a vehicle for anti-Roosevelt Democratic leaders to win delegates in an attempt to stop his nomination at the convention.
In short, without FDR winning in 1928, not only would he not be a presidential candidate in 1932, his two main rivals probably wouldn't be as well. Who are some other potential Democrats who might throw their hats in the ring? With the Depression a Democratic victory in 1932 is pretty much guaranteed, so I imagine a lot of people would run, probably leading to a divided convention that would take lots of negotiating in smoke-filled rooms to hammer out. Whoever wins will take the reins of power in one of the biggest crossroads in American history.
Without a clear front runner would the democrats split trying to find one? I doubt the southern dems would have any interest in aligning with the republicans, but even if they start a third party it would cause some major butterflies down the line.

Without a clear front runner would the democrats split trying to find one? I doubt the southern dems would have any interest in aligning with the republicans, but even if they start a third party it would cause some major butterflies down the line.
It is unlikely. By 1932 everybody knew Hoover was screwed so the Dems had no desire to break party unity

Unless the dem candidate is an actual communist calling for the full abolition of Jim Crow laws, the southern dems will stick with the rest of the party

IMO John Nance Garner is the most likely candidate. He was a Southern but he was progressive enough to gain the support of Northern dems.

First of all, it is quite likely that FDR runs for NY gov again in 1930 and wins, restoring OTL. Otherwise, IIRC Newton Baker and Albert Ritchie were also serious contenders. I don't think the party is ready to nominate a Southerner for the top spot which disqualifies Garner and Hull. But the Southern D's are not pseudo GOP'ers or potential 3rd partiers at this time. Perhaps a Baker-Garner ticket.

John Waters

Banned
Newton Baker or Owen Young are the likeliest possibilities, also MacAdoo could make a comeback, I think there even was a thread about it

Of these Baker is probably the most interesting because he was a supporter of Georgism

MacAdoo was also big on government intervention in the economy and so would've probably just been "older more racist FDR who doesn't run for a third term"

About Young I know nothing

Last edited:
It is unlikely. By 1932 everybody knew Hoover was screwed so the Dems had no desire to break party unity

Unless the dem candidate is an actual communist calling for the full abolition of Jim Crow laws, the southern dems will stick with the rest of the party

IMO John Nance Garner is the most likely candidate. He was a Southern but he was progressive enough to gain the support of Northern dems.
From what I've read Garner was perfectly happy being Speaker and had no interest in becoming president. Basically the only reason he even accepted the VP nomination was that he realized how popular he was and was worried if he didn't accept it would lead to a 1924-level deadlock. Maybe if the 1932 nomination is deadlocked his supporters are able to cajole him into accepting, but apparently he didn't think a compromise candidate would have a realistic chance of winning.

Source: Garner of Texas, a personal history

Newton Baker or Owen Young are the likeliest possibilities, also MacAdoo could make a comeback, I think there even was a thread about it

Of these Baker is probably the most interesting because he was a supporter of Georgism

MacAdoo was also big on government intervention in the economy and so would've probably just been "older more racist FDR who doesn't run for a third term"

About Young I know nothing
Was McAdoo a supporter of the Second New Deal? I can imagine his first term going similarly to FDR's IOTL and him easily being reelected in 1936, but what happens next is a big question. If there's no Second New Deal that massively changes the trajectory of the Democratic Party and American politics, OTL it unified conservative Democratic opposition to Roosevelt, paving the war for the Conservative Coalition to take power in 1938 and ultimately, the shift of conservatives out of the party. Given that he would be 73 by Inauguration Day 1937 does he even run for a second term? OTL he was elected to the Senate in 1933 and retired in 1938 before dying in 1941.

Did not know about Newton Baker, will need to read more into him. Given that he died in 1937 IOTL that again raises the question of if he runs for a second term and if he does, who the VP nominee is. Owen Young, again, need to look more into him but a president with no prior political experience would be interesting.

Last edited:
Plus, there was one small messup that Hoover did in his 1932 presidential campaign. He compared his 1932 reelection campaign to Abraham Lincoln's reelection campaign in 1864, which made Southerners upset at him, to say the least.

How might Newton Baker try to apply aspects of Georgism to the challenges of the Great Depression? And would he have the legislative and constitutional leeway and support to do so under the emergency economic circumstances?

And what about his foreign policy stances, how would they compare with FDR's, particularly in their balance of asserting internationalist goals versus caution and circumspection relative to anti-war and staunch non-aligned opinions.

Owen Young? Never heard of the guy.

1932 was going to be a Democratic year, so alternate Democratic nominees, and the implications of their domestic and foreign policy priorities, is an endlessly fascinating discussion.

Would any and all plausible Democratic candidates have been FDR clones in all recognizable aspects of policy and politics, even if not in terms of personal style and appearance?

Was FDR the "edge case" of maximum plausible domestic reform in pro-labor, pro-regulatory spheres, and introduction of economic planning?

Was he the maximum plausible supporter of shifting from protectionism to reciprocal tariff reductions and freer trade? What about international financial cooperation?

Did he pursue the maximum plausible policy alternatives on US rearmament, collective security, and support to victims of aggression?

Would all possible Democratic alternatives done "less" on these matters, or about the same?

Could any alternative candidate/nominee elected in 32 and sworn in, in 33 have flubbed so badly they could have made themselves a one-termer, and somehow permitted the GOP to make an unprecedented popular and electoral vote comeback, to majority support in the '36 election? It would have taken a lot of work to flub so badly and hand the GOP a shot at majority support in '36, considering in OTL they only carried two states. Alternatively, could the flubbing have led to unprecedenting electoral win in '36 of a third party without any national prominence as of '32?