Status
Not open for further replies.
This is…awesome and would be a cool movie. I think one change could be that when they’re in the limo taffy makes a comment that accidentally confirms the accusations
That's actually what happens. Morris figures it out in the courtroom, Talks to Taffy in the limo, gets his hunch confirmed, and then confronts him.

And then literally bites the hand that feeds him.

As for Lasseter…..it’s sad. That said even he has the potential to change if he’s willing to acknowledge it. The fact that Bakshi (one of the people who helped influence him into staying toxic) fell out with him, the fact his tolerating bad behavior affected productivity and led to them turning on him, and the shock of how far he fell MIGHT be enough to actually humble him into honest self reflection.

It’s a big long shot but if people like Ken Yuasa and Shiro Azuma (bonafide war criminals) can change their ways I won’t discount redemption completely
I think 'redemption' is tossed about too liberally in America, to the point of losing its meaning/significance (to be absolved of prior guilt and consequence by others). 'Repentance' is what I find most folk are actually referring to BUT! Step One in repentance is to actually want to change, not just being sorry. Lasseter clearly did not and I doubt he'll change now, even after it's cost him the power he so coveted and exploited (again).
I see him doing the blame game again and poisoning wells instead of rebuilding bridges, maybe starting up yet another studio where he enjoys Total Creative Control (tm) for a time before once again becoming insufferable to anyone who works with him. Rinse and repeat until he fades into obscurity.

"Hey, remember Lasseter?"
"Oh yeah, great ideas man, some real creative talent... garbage human being though. Him and Bakshi both."
"Kind of makes me want to do a thread where they weren't total shitheels, just to ponder what they'd make."
"What, like that Duke Nukem Post Therapy thread where he becomes a genuinely funny goofball himbo?"
I can see that happening too, Again, it is an utter longshot. Thing is if bonafide war criminals can repent I won't discount it completely.
Like Graham said here, you need to want to improve and reform, and I like that "Repentance" rather than "Redemption", as you need to really repent for your actions and take good-faith steps to repair the damage, not just seek redemption through PR and self-serving apologies, I could have had Lasseter repent and reform like I did for Whedon, and I nearly did, but in the end I wanted to show that contrast, those two choices. One chose one way, the other the other way. That's the choice that we all have, as we all have flaws and issues and baggage and blind spots and built-in prejudices. It's how we choose to deal with them that define us, in my opinion.

So how fast past Henson retirement is this timeline going?
There will be summary posts covering to present day, but the deep-dive detail will be ending soon.

that was a relley strong post. Always been curiruses bout adman's tortoise and hair and i think the trail dirtcion fells very much like the short of tiwst they word do. A few too many ynaks in the cast but still staller.
Glad you liked it.

And it seems that the official number of Yanks in an Aardman cast that qualified as "a few too many" is One (Eddie Murphy), LOL. x'D

Wait, by Steve Austin you mean, Stone Cold Steve Austin? Unusual casting choice for a Disney movie, especially in the early 2000s but, he's perfect for that kind of character. :p
Well, he's not Stone Cold Steve Austin, but in our timeline, Bear from Bear in the Big Blue House took a joke from Macho Man Randy Savage on Hollywood Squares. I am not making any of that up.
What he said. WWF imploded before Steve Austin could go Stone Cold.

I think casting an actual European would have made more sense. Should have joined when I had the chance.
Well, he stopped being European when they cast Macy. I added in a line to make that explicit.

And sorry, my European readers, to Yankify another character, but as Jorgen says in the new line "That's Hollywood". :cool:

Besides, I can't look at that artwork and not hear Macy.

Okay, the more you think about it, this could be really nightmarish, and I think many people will make dark fanworks of it. Like are humans macufactured in the universe? Do they reproduce but the cars control it, like some morbid parody of animal husbandry run by beings that aren't even of the same form and don't quite understand them? Are they usually kept away in barren sheds or cots like regular appliences, only emerging with some rudimentary autonomy, barely able to comprehend their own existence beyonf basic senses?

Geez, I should stop thinking about this.
I guess that theory replaces "Cars is a post-apocalyptic world where the machines have replaced us" fan theory as TTL's Nightmare Fuel.

considering how annoying they already were, a movie just about them is just going to be too much.
(but then again i am a big fan of the penguins)
Not my film, but looking at it, the Lemurs are played less goofy iTTL since they're the focus, not the wacky side-characters. It sounds kind of Shakespearian when I read it.

Wonder how Monsters Inc and Ratatouille turn out sans Lasseter...
Stay Tuned. 📺

Not my film, but looking at it, the Lemurs are played less goofy iTTL since they're the focus, not the wacky side-characters. It sounds kind of Shakespearian when I read it.

Indeed, the lemurs are played less goofy - because, yeah, they're the focus, not the goofy side characters.

However, the film overall isn't particularly dark (because Camp are coming off Jimmy Rango, which is pretty dark) - there's scary bits (mostly with Hermbola) and sad bits (the death of King Mpanjanka), but for the most part, however, it's a light-hearted adventure film.

(As an aside, it is my headcanon that Hermbola has quite the following... and probably a few Evil Is Cool/Draco in Leather Pants musings - especially with Tony Todd providing the voice).

Okay, the more you think about it, this could be really nightmarish, and I think many people will make dark fanworks of it. Like are humans macufactured in the universe? Do they reproduce but the cars control it, like some morbid parody of animal husbandry run by beings that aren't even of the same form and don't quite understand them? Are they usually kept away in barren sheds or cots like regular appliences, only emerging with some rudimentary autonomy, barely able to comprehend their own existence beyonf basic senses?

Or this is just a universe where humans made sentient cars - and the cars can talk to each other, but can't speak to humans or vice versa. The people don't talk because we're seeing this from the cars' perspectives.

Or it's just a cartoon.

A Giant Leap for Eisner
Chapter 10: A Big Name in the Big Peach (Cont’d)
Excerpt from Man of Iron: The Michael Eisner Story, an unauthorized biography by Anthony Edward Stark

Eisner’s gut twisted and turned as the numbers came in on The Hobbit. Stuck opening between Disney’s City of the Sun and competing animated films and Fox’s Star Wars: Episode II, Eisner was sure that the film would be a $100 million flop, as were many in the industry. At first, his worst fears appeared to come true, with the fantasy adventure just barely grabbing the number 1 slot away from the former before being pushed to a distant number 2 by the latter. And yet The Hobbit managed to hold on, never falling enough in attendance to get dropped from most theaters, still trucking on through January and into spring of 2000, becoming a long sleeper hit driven by word of mouth that eventually made a solid $342 million at the box office despite blistering competition. It continued to perform very well on home media, becoming a top VHS and VCD buy.

220px-The_Hobbit_trilogy_dvd_cover.jpg

This as a single film

“Well,” he told Brandon Tartikoff, divided between his elation and relief at the success and his annoyance that he’d called it so wrong, “I guess I’m making Lord of the Rings.”

Turner, who’d been insufferable since his successful coup playing arbitrageur during the Disney-Shepherds Proxy War, became even more insufferable with the slow sleeper success of The Hobbit. And soon things turned even crazier when Turner was approached by Commodore CEO Jack Tramiel and Leap CEO Steve Case. The NASDAQ had been soaring, growing exponentially with the rise of the internet and the “Dot-Com” stocks, and Leap was now valued at over $200 billion and looking to diversify. Columbia seemed the perfect company with its mix of creative and physical assets, and Case proposed an all-stock merger valued at over $350 billion, which would create a global media company that, as Turner said, “will make Triad look like a piker!”

Turner was enthusiastic about the deal. “We’ll make Melinda [Gates] look like a pauper!” he told Eisner. He noted the excitement he’d experienced from his brief view into Disney’s Imagine, Inc., and increasingly saw computers as “the future”.

But Eisner was dubious. He made a trip to Leap Headquarters in New York City, met with some of the finance folks, saw their excited celestial growth predictions, and got “the heebie-jeebies”, as he told his wife Jane.

“I saw through their BS,” he told Fortune well after the fact. Though in truth, he reportedly confided to Tartikoff that “They’ll bury us if this merger goes through,” leaving some to conclude that his subsequent vocal opposition to the deal was built on self-protection as a Big Fish in the Columbia Sea sure to become a much smaller fish in the Leap Ocean. Eisner became the voice of the opposition to the deal, earning him the ire of Turner, who, had the board approved it, would have fired Eisner for insubordination.

Instead, Eisner and Tartikoff, maintaining that they were “loyally serving in the company’s and owners’ best interests,” including, they noted, Turner’s, continued to lobby against the buy. Eventually, Tartikoff proposed a “better fit” deal with long-time Columbia partner Time-Atlantic, which caused the board to pause the deal to consider the alternative proposal, which would eventually go through a few years later.

The conversation drove delays, and Leap, losing faith, pulled out of the deal, merging instead with Warner Brothers in January of 2000. In hindsight, the deal would be seen as the high-water mark for the Dot-Coms, but at the time, Turner was irate, having to be physically restrained away from Eisner when the Leap-Warner deal was announced.

The anger turned into a silent sulking, where Eisner and Tartikoff found excuses to stay at the studios and away from Columbia Tower. Eisner even went all the way to visit Jackson and del Toro in New Zealand to announce the greenlight of The Lord of the Rings rather than ask them to come to him or just make a phone call.

But Turner’s anger didn’t last long. Only a month after the Warner deal, the NASDAQ began dropping, fast. Leap-Warner stock plummeted, as did stock for Imagine, Inc., which owned Leap’s premier rival, Genie, dragging Disney stock down with it, to the point that Disney might have become vulnerable had the Disneys and Hensons not held a commanding majority. Suddenly Eisner and Tartikoff looked like oracles and geniuses, not obstructive insurgents. Turner’s anger turned to elation and affection for his “best boys” Eisner and Tartikoff.

Suddenly Turner made Eisner his “right hand man” and heir apparent. Eisner was made President and COO to Turner’s Chairman and CEO in 2001, putting Eisner one step from the top of the company, with Turner, clearly shaken at having “dodged a bullet” on the Leap deal, looking increasingly likely to step down in the early 2000s. Eisner immediately handed his CCO title and duties to Tartikoff and made clear to all that Tartikoff was, in turn, his heir apparent.

“Brandon,” he reportedly told Tartikoff, “Once Ted retires, assuming I take his place I’m making you President/COO.

“God bless those Leap bastards,” Eisner was then overheard saying.

Last edited:
Leap is Not!AOL, right? That's one hell of a bullet they just dodged.

And TTL's Eisner being a good guy is making me experience a very weird mix of emotions, so kudos.

“Well,” he told Brandon Tartikoff, divided between his elation and relief at the success and his annoyance that he’d called it so wrong, “I guess I’m making Lord of the Rings.”
Damn...what a bummer that Columbia gets to print even more money. x'D

But Turner’s anger didn’t last long. Only a month after the Warner deal, the NASDAQ began dropping, fast. Leap-Warner stock plummeted, as did stock for Imagine, Inc., which owned Leap’s premier rival, Genie, dragging Disney stock down with it, to the point that Disney might have become vulnerable had the Disneys and Hensons not held a commanding majority. Suddenly Eisner and Tartikoff looked like oracles and geniuses, not obstructive insurgents. Turner’s anger turned to elation and affection for his “best boys” Eisner and Tartikoff.
Columbia dodged a bullet by not merging with ITTL AOL (assuming). The dot-com bubble was going to burst eventually and Eisner luckily had the foresight to stop that from poisoning the well.

“Brandon,” he reportedly told Tartikoff, “Once Ted retires, assuming I take his place I’m making you President/COO.

“God bless those Leap bastards,” Eisner was then overheard saying.
Nice.

, as did stock for Imagine, Inc., which owned Leap’s premier rival, Genie, dragging Disney stock down with it, to the point that Disney might have become vulnerable had the Disneys and Hensons not held a commanding majority. Suddenly Eisner and Tartikoff looked like oracles and geniuses, not obstructive insurgents. Turner’s anger turned to elation and affection for his “best boys” Eisner and Tartikoff.
Well, I await what happens there.

220px-The_Hobbit_trilogy_dvd_cover.jpg

This as a single film

I honestly think this is the thing from TTL I want a copy of most. Yes, even more than the Mort film or Muppets Do Shakespeare.

(I would also pay actual money if OTL's New Line released a "De-Extended Edition", but that seems almost as unlikely as getting videos from an alternate universe.)

The conversation drove delays, and Leap, losing faith, pulled out of the deal, merging instead with Warner Brothers in January of 2000. In hindsight, the deal would be seen as the high-water mark for the Dot-Coms, but at the time, Turner was irate, having to be physically restrained away from Eisner when the Leap-Warner deal was announced.
Capture.GIF

I'm sure Peter David is already writing the TTL version of this scene.
Suddenly Eisner and Tartikoff looked like oracles and geniuses, not obstructive insurgents.
Or maybe obstructionist insurgents who happened to be right, which is practically the same thing...

and mell gibson
Mel Gibson also has an Australian passport, and had since before the POD.
He also has dual Irish citizenship - he's not an Australian citizen, but he does have an Aussie passport.
whopps. sorry.
I always thought of him as Australian, and he did spend his formative years there, but looking into it I guess he was born in the US and technically American.

The_More_You_Know_0-0_screenshot.png

What's Red Dwarf like in this TL?
I honestly never went into it. It's available if anyone wants to do a guest post, though.

Leap is Not!AOL, right? That's one hell of a bullet they just dodged.

And TTL's Eisner being a good guy is making me experience a very weird mix of emotions, so kudos.
Well, POV character. "Good guy" is a subjective term. Though I did try to give him an arc.

Typo "Turner was made President and COO to Turner's Chairman and CEO" - shouldn't there be an Eisner in there somewhere?
Fixed thanks.

D'ow!
Chapter 19: New Millennium, New Challenges (Cont’d)
Excerpt from Jim Henson: Storyteller, an authorized biography by Jay O’Brian

On Monday February 14th, 2000, Valentine’s Day, Jim was making the usual rounds, and handing out cards and candy to the employees. He checked in on the production of Aida and screened the first cut of The Avengers, a film which brought multiple Marvel superheroes together in a mirror of DC’s Justice League. He met with Judson Green to go over plans for the long-shelved WestCOT and reviewed the promising over-winter numbers for the new Disneytown in Hamilton, Ontario, and looked through options for new Disneytown locations.

He hadn’t been planning on visiting Imagine, Inc., that day, even though returns on Genie were dwindling and the upward growth had stalled and started to retract. Instead, he was intending to focus on transition planning for his soon-to-be-officially-announced retirement. Life, however, had other plans for him.

The NASDAQ had opened low that morning, but he hadn’t put much thought to it. But then it kept dropping, fast. It would keep dropping, finishing down 8% by the closing bell. By the end of the week, it would be down over 25%. Internet companies, the “Dot-Coms”, were the worst hit, dragged down by the realization that their speculation-based growth projections, built upon the promise of infinitely growing ad revenues, were built on sand, particularly for wholly web-based companies that had no real physical products on the market. But even hardware companies were hit, and the Dow Jones itself was dragged into a Bear Market by what would in hindsight be called the “Dot-Com Bubble”.

Nasdaq_Composite_dot-com_bubble.svg

Unfortunately, this included Imagine, Inc., whose valuation had been closely tied to Genie and the Disney.net and MGM.net websites. With online advertising revenues dropping, the Disney and associated websites were losing valuation. While the original core specialty hardware and software side of Imagine, Inc., was holding firm – the DIS stations and AVE virtual environments and Animatriarch software retained a strong industry presence – the bubble-burst hit Imagine, Inc., hard, and through it, Disney.

“At least we’re not Warner,” said Stan Kinsey, referring to the rival studio that had recently merged with Leap in one of the most ill-timed mergers in corporate history. Leap-Warner stocks had plummeted, ultimately losing over 50% valuation, dragged down by a plummeting Leap. Leap-Warner would end up being acquired by Comcast in a hostile takeover in 2003. A similar hit to Sony would drag down Time-Atlantic, in which they had a strong minority stake, leading eventually to the merger with Columbia in 2009, creating the largest media company in the world, even outstripping Triad.

Even so, the heavy reliance on Imagine, Inc., to feed the chimera of Market Valuation took its toll, sending Disney stocks sharply lower over the next couple of years. The parks and studios and TV presence would pad the blow, however, with Disney stock bottoming out at $28/share in early 2001 after a brief peak of $46 in early 2000. Only the solid control of the company by the Disneys and Hensons kept them secure from any sort of takeover attempt or proxy battle. But most critically, it caused Jim to have to delay his retirement as Chairman to early 2001 rather than at the end of the fiscal year in October, as he worked with Rich Nanula and Stan Kinsey and the board to shore up the faltering stocks. There was only so much that they could do in the face of a global contraction. Creatively, he started delegating more and more to his Creative Associates, particularly Joe Ranft and Glen Keane, so he could focus on the finances.

Still, the event served as a useful distraction and a reminder to Jim about how the biggest illusion that a successful studio could make was not the techno-wizardry of effects nor the storytelling magic of a well-crafted film, but the “Illusion of Value” as Jim had started to dub the strange ways in which potential success and the often self-assessed worth of properties, both real and intellectual, would translate into how much people and companies were willing to pay for a small slice of a company. The Dot-Com Bubble had reinforced in Jim the realization that the corporate “game” was a game indeed rather than anything much based in reality. If a clever bunch of nerds could convince Wall Street, however temporarily, that their website was going to be a sure-fire moneymaker, then they could sell what amounted to a bunch of computers and programmers in a small office park for what an entire film studio complex might have gone for on the open market.

Furthermore, the rise of the digital economy made something else apparent to Jim: that the days of physical media were coming to an end. Already Woz and Brian had excitedly showed him an early digital video camera, demonstrating how they could take real time digital video and turn it into a digital movie file. This file could then be duplicated infinitely, making distribution an infinitesimal investment once enough theater chains had the digital projectors to play it. This realization hit Jim like a freight train. As he’d once dared to predict with the Camcorder, filmmaking was about to become a cottage industry. Within 20 years anyone would be able, with a relatively small investment, to make a feature length film and distribute it anywhere around the world instantly. This held profound implications.

Currently, only a studio could produce a serious blockbuster film seen by millions. You had to hire cast and crew, assemble sets, arrange location shoots, and finance it all. Even the time and materials required to physically capture the images on literal film, process the negatives into physical film stock, physically hand-cut and hand-edit the hundreds of reels, and then physically reproduce the final cut into the hundreds to thousands of copies to distribute all over the world, was a monumental investment in time and resources. And it also meant that you had near complete control of distribution. To “pirate” a film you either had to sneak a Camcorder into the theater or physically steal the reels.

In this coming future of digital films, one could click-and-copy as many copies of a film as one had hard drive space to store it. One could effectively email or post to the net to distribute. How did one control distribution, prevent piracy, or even prove ownership in such a world? Already the all-digital CG animated films were vulnerable to such “leaks”, and they’d drastically stepped-up security at Animation to prevent such an occurrence.

How did one justify the costs of making a hundred-million-dollar film when one leaked file could be all over the net in hours? The time-in to time-out balance was completely off.

These, Jim decided, would be questions for someone else to answer. Instead, another consequence of the coming Digital Economy struck him: if you had a reliable high-speed internet connection, you could make and distribute content anywhere…even from, say, a hilltop in rural New Mexico.

Oooh it sounds like Jim might be trying to diversify Disney's reach even more - maybe a new show in the same vein as his old You Tube documentary series? But with a global reach this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.