Status
Not open for further replies.
Doomed to Fail
Chapter 14, In the Swing of Things (Cont’d)
Excerpt from Where Did I Go Right? (or: You’re No One in Hollywood Unless Someone Wants You Dead), by Bernie Brillstein (with Cheryl Henson)

So, by the time principal photography was complete on The Road to Ruin, a title that seemed more appropriate every day, Coppola’s perfectionist tendencies and utter disregard for budgets had driven costs north of $82 million. The dailies looked great and test audiences were overwhelmingly positive, laughing manically the whole time, but the trade mags were universally predicting a disaster of One From the Heart level proportions and Disney stocks were trading lower in anticipation of a massive loss.

Letterman, apparently still annoyed with the merger, was calling it “Henson’s Folly Two: One More From the Heart” and comparisons to Toys, a film which by this point was being reappraised, I might add, were ubiquitous. It was just like what those bastards did to Toys, and already the well seemed poisoned.

We warned the board, pushed it to August, and prepared to write off the whole $82 mill. Other studios moved their expected middle-performers up against us, figuring there’d be no competition from MGM that weekend. But we weren’t going down without a fight and we assigned a serious marketing budget hoping that if we could yell louder than the nay-sayers that we could get a good opening and let word of mouth do the rest.

And then Mel [Brooks] had a revelation: lean in to the negativity. “Reverse Psychology Marketing,” he dubbed it. “Be a Part of the Disaster!!”

“Mel, I’m not sure what side of the genius/madness divide that you’re on at the moment,” I told him, “But at this point, what do we have to lose?”

“Eighty-two mil and our careers and reputation?”

“Yea, hardly anything worth a shit. Let’s do it.”

And do it we did.

“From the studio that brought you Toys.”

“They said it could never work…were they right?”

“Over budget, undervalued, and lovin’ every minute!”

“Watch the Catastrophe happen in real time!”

We had a trailer that showed the Hindenburg exploding and openly quoted the nay-sayers in the trade press. We added the phrase “Doomed to Fail” in bloody red font to the posters. We hit every morning and late show with Robin and Wayne and let them crack up the hosts and audience. They openly played with the sense of impending doom with as much comedic irony as they could, even as we wowed them with the hilarious scenes and fantastic spectacle in clips.

“My career may never recover, so you’d better come see me while you still can!” became Robin’s go-to tongue-firmly-in-cheek phrase for interviews.

It was brilliant and that target demographic of 16-40 was salivating for the chance to say they were there when Ruin crashed and burned…or didn’t.

We went from the laughing stock of Hollywood to the talk of the town.

They lined up around the block. Some people wore costumes! We opened at Number One. And we stayed there.

People went in to see a disaster and instead they saw what we always knew: that Robin Williams and Wayne Brady were the comedy duo for the New Millennium. Alan and Savion’s choreography when combined with Coppola’s direction and Deakins’ cinematography were breathtaking. Some loved it with sincerity, some loved it with irony, but they laughed when they were supposed to, sang along with the songs, and applauded when it was done.

Anticipation of disaster put butts in seats, and good old-fashioned word of mouth kept them there.

Critics heaped praise. Ebert said, “Icarus touches the sun and soars on to the stars in this magnificent, hilarious, and borderline self-aware visual and audio feast. Not since the golden days of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers has a musical proven so joyous, so immersive, and so much fun.”

“Our Bad,” ran the headline in Variety when we broke $150 mil domestically. We’d end up making over $550 mil globally. People the world over saw it again and again.

Wayne was blasted into stardom, suddenly the A-list talent that I knew that he could be. We immediately started looking into his next big feature, either with Robin or on his own. Savion Glover, who’d been in the film for all of 3 minutes as the dancer who schools Tariq in a dance-off, was suddenly being asked to cameo in every music video and making appearances on every variety show. His career, already well established, was sent into overdrive. We immediately put his Bring in 'Da Noise, Bring in 'Da Funk into production in partnership with 40 Acres and a Mule.

And the Disney board, who’d been hyper critical of the film, and of Jim for pursuing it, suddenly were singing his praises. But Jim gave the credit, as always, to Mel, Tom, Frank, Robin, Wayne, me, and the rest of the crew who made it. “I just had the basic idea,” he told them. “They made it happen.”

But Jim’s modesty aside, the truth was that he was right: the world was ready for a Big Musical again.

It just needed a little tweak to make it fit the zeitgeist.

And yes, I went with the Smash Success option, as many of you predicted (yes, you're all so amazingly clever, understanding ironic foreshadowing and all; please don't SPAM the thread with "Called it" posts :winkytongue: ). The Big Bomb option after the buildup was already done with Toys and yea, having it be a mediocre underperformance would have been a great compromise option in that it would have pissed everyone off equally, but that wasn't really considered.

But the success/fail result wasn't really the point. It was the journey, not the destination. How the company was reacting to the "impending doom" and how it was affecting things behind the scenes that was important. The fact that Jim is taking big risks still rather than "play it safe". Leading the zeitgeist, not reacting to it. That's the big takeaway here, not Robin Williams + Wayne Brady = Win, because duh there.

So sorry for "stringing it out", but as I said, it was never really about whether a Big Musical could work in the 1990s, but about the fact that Jim thought that it could against all common wisdom, that the board, despite its reservations, let him do it, and the creative ways in which Bernie and Mel made it actually work.

So, glad folks liked the "reverse psychology marketing". It was fun to create.

Very nice! Now thinking of all of the businessfolk forced to dress like hippies and putting money in the “Jim Henson Is Right Again” jar XD

Wonderful work as always

Honestly, you did such a good job of building this up that I would not have been surprised if Road to Ruin went down the crapper or just did perfectly fine. But this is great stuff, I love that Wayne Brady's getting a bigger career out of this than he does in OTL.

I bloody well knew it EXCELLENT POST, GEEKHIS.

The Road to Ruin sounds like a true masterpiece, and one which I would’ve loved to have seen for real. Nice to see that Jim’s faith in the picture was rewarded in the end - and Wayne gets his big break into the mainstream? Awesome. Mel’s reverse-psychology marketing idea sounds inspired, might have to make some posters for this... :winkytongue:

The Waiting finally has an End!
And then Mel [Brooks] had a revelation: lean in to the negativity. “Reverse Psychology Marketing,” he dubbed it. “Be a Part of the Disaster!!”

“Mel, I’m not sure what side of the genius/madness divide that you’re on at the moment,” I told him, “But at this point, what do we have to lose?”

“Eighty-two mil and our careers and reputation?”

“Yea, hardly anything worth a shit. Let’s do it.
Mel knows how the people operate. He did predict it with the Producers.
They lined up around the block. Some people wore costumes! We opened at Number One. And we stayed there.
I wonder if this will become a traditional like the showings of Rocky Horror or the Gonzos for Fear and Loathing. Certainly an idea for the inevitable theatrical re-releases.
People went in to see a disaster and instead they saw what we always knew: that Robin Williams and Wayne Brady were the comedy duo for the New Millennium. Alan and Savion’s choreography when combined with Coppola’s direction and Deakins’ cinematography were breathtaking. Some loved it with sincerity, some loved it with irony, but they laughed when they were supposed to, sang along with the songs, and applauded when it was done.

Anticipation of disaster put butts in seats, and good old-fashioned word of mouth kept them there.
I always had hope for Road to Ruin, it's an old school big Musical with a modern ironic twist.
Critics heaped praise. Ebert said, “Icarus touches the sun and soars on to the stars in this magnificent, hilarious, and borderline self-aware visual and audio feast. Not since the golden days of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers has a musical proven so joyous, so immersive, and so much fun.”
“Our Bad,” ran the headline in Variety when we broke $150 mil domestically. We’d end up making over $550 mil globally. People the world over saw it again and again.
Wayne was blasted into stardom, suddenly the A-list talent that I knew that he could be. We immediately started looking into his next big feature, either with Robin or on his own. Savion Glover, who’d been in the film for all of 3 minutes as the dancer who schools Tariq in a dance-off, was suddenly being asked to cameo in every music video and making appearances on every variety show. His career, already well established, was sent into overdrive. We immediately put his Bring in 'Da Noise, Bring in 'Da Funk into production in partnership with 40 Acres and a Mule.
Serves them right! All the naysayers are in shambles. Also can't wait to see what Wayne Brandy does next.
And the Disney board, who’d been hyper critical of the film, and of Jim for pursuing it, suddenly were singing his praises. But Jim gave the credit, as always, to Mel, Tom, Frank, Robin, Wayne, me, and the rest of the crew who made it. “I just had the basic idea,” he told them. “They made it happen.”
Jim always so humble
But the success/fail result wasn't really the point. It was the journey, not the destination. How the company was reacting to the "impending doom" and how it was affecting things behind the scenes that was important. The fact that Jim is taking big risks still rather than "play it safe". Leading the zeitgeist, not reacting to it. That's the big takeaway here, not Robin Williams + Wayne Brady = Win, because duh there.
It certainly shocked the company and the entertainment industry to its core. Glad that the idea of taking risks and setting trends instead of following them is still ingrained in this Timeline.

I can also not wait to see what new Big Spectacular Musical Disney and their competitors will now greenlight.

Anyways Road to Ruin has watered my crops, fixed my marriage and made me able to walk again. Grandiose Chapter @Geekhis Khan

it was never really about whether a Big Musical could work in the 1990s, but about the fact that Jim thought that it could against all common wisdom, that the board, despite its reservations, let him do it, and the creative ways in which Bernie and Mel made it actually work.
Bravo, sir, it's why we love this thread.
So, glad folks liked the "reverse psychology marketing". It was fun to create.
When you pulled that card I knew Ruin was going to sell well (because yeah, who doesn't like to say "I was there when..."?), but you still had it hidden if this film was going to be any good. Very glad it is, tying it back to the early days of the thread when everyone was agreeing OTL's Disney can afford to be more experimental.
'We make money to make entertainment, not the other way around' and all that.

Now, bring forth the knock-offs of the (soon to be) short-lived 90's Musical Revival that Doesn't Last Because Most of them were Trash!
After all, how hard can it be to make a musical these days? Road to Ruin has *ahem* paved the way for them!

Obviously, this flick will not fix all the neuological damage Robin Williams got from all that cocaine, but will more films of this caliber keep him from taking his own life? He always kept getting bad luck with scrips, directors, editors, and production values.

So this has got to be pretty embarrassing result for Jon Peters, Michael Eisner, Sid Ganis, and David Letterman. Hell even Variety, Entertainment Weekly, The Wall Street Journal, and John Hoyland from The New Scientist now look like fools. Especially the later two, since a lot of investors probably just lost a lot of money they could have gained due to The Wall Street Journal’s advice, while Hoyland probably accidentally discredited or at least seriously hurt his own theory since he, alongside a number of other scholars, cited it in their publications before the movie came out as a example of the new (well at least then, since the theory was introduced in 1994 in OTL) theory of Nominative Determinism.

They basically were all so convinced it would spectacularly fail, that they eagerly decided to take the opportunity to loudly and publicly dunk on Disney, Henson, and the film since they all expected a massive flop, so now they’re all going to be eating their words. Eisner’s own comments about Coppola, Henson and Mel Brooks are especially all laughable in hindsight.

I’m honestly genuinely curious to see the aftermath here and how everyone who got it wrong here ends up reacting, especially Eisner. Also curious to see how which movies that released up against Road to Ruin due to expecting an easy win and managed to fail as a result, because the only one that seems to be confirmed right now is Killing Mrs. Tingle. Honestly that decision by the studios in hindsight means those movies are probably going to do worse than they would have if released against any other movie, so I’m curious to see the effects.

Also Coppola especially must be the most sought after Director in Hollywood right now since he’s on what seems like a roll. Not only did he manage to release what in-universe is considered to be his second best film (The Assassination of Julius Caesar) in 1995 (which won ten Oscars at the ITTL 1996 Oscars after getting eleven nominations, but also won Coppola Best Director once again), but now he’s managed to release a $550 million worldwide hit out of a musical that everyone thought was going to be a failure. I’m pretty sure Coppola could do any project he wants and this point and it will 100% happen.

Last edited:
When everyone is so convinced that it will become a failure that it ends up being a success. Talk about irony... (seems like this is a massive universal gag in the Hensonverse)

Jim and the rest of those involved can rest easy knowing that they did not just blow up their careers with a film like The Road to Ruin.

quick, everybody, let's spam the thread with "called it" posts :winkytongue:
Called it! /j

Obviously, this flick will not fix all the neuological damage Robin Williams got from all that cocaine, but will more films of this caliber keep him from taking his own life? He always kept getting bad luck with scrips, directors, editors, and production values.
It's possible, but Robin Williams is still at risk for LBD or Parkinson's. Early retirement might do him good in preventing his death, though.

I can also not wait to see what new Big Spectacular Musical Disney and their competitors will now greenlight.
Let's hope that it's something fantastical and worthy of a musical title. Can't wait to see where the musical genre goes next with this.

To Live and Let Die - nice this has been updated to reflect more modern sensibilities even if it is a retro piece. ITTL me probbly sees it at the cinema.

Star Trek: Timeless- ITTL me would see this cos he would be seeing all Trek. It sounds like a nice fun change from Borg stuff. I like the use of Tom Riker here being played by a bunch of Ferengi.

Arachnophobia- sounds way to dumb to be fun. If Whoopie Goldberg was in it ITTL me might have been tempted.

Game- Jeff Goldbloom has had a busy acting year. Not one I could see me being bothered about. Seems a bit docu-drama too me.

Dragonflight- WOOT! ITTL me is SOOOOOO watching this, and its one OTL me would like to see. I am glad the suggestion got made. Directed by James Cameron of all people too! Ryder, Pitt, and I am sure a cast of cameos from the great and good. "brilliant effects by the Creatureworks," - and I bet there are good too. "will lead the film to break $230 million and be a success." - that sounds like sequel bait to me!

Superman: Champion of Justice,- Might watch, but sounds like a slog. Still good cast- might end up as a late night cinema visit and/or on disk.

The Mummy,- I wonder if David Fincher drops some Chuthlu mythos into this version of the tale? Or a drop of Mumm-Ra? Bet the SFX are good.

Slammers- Simonson is a decent writer, so I suspect this will be a decent movie esp with WETA effects beginning to ply their trade. Wilis and Fox will be great together too. ITTL me probably saw it after watching X2. Making $280 million is still good money, but its not big screen sequel from the sound of it.

The Tourist,- Def not one for me ITTL one thinks. Bet it gets turned into tons of memes some years later.

Our Southern Cause.- I really hope Gene Wilder gets a Mel Brooks cameo in somewhere. I also want Whoopi Goldberg in a Guinan style dress/hat combo as a shout out. Does sound like a great fun film and since I liked Dr Strangelove, Blazing Saddles etc I suspect ITTL me went to see this one. Lots of good quotes and oneliners I bet.

Kandi,- this does not sounds like a fun watch. Suspect ITTL me might have seen it on TV as a more of a documentary watch later on.

My Deadly Vacation- Not my sort of thing, but that is one heck of a cast there, esp the Killer's actor.

Crusade - This really is turning a year for the Epics. Schwarzenegger and Heston together? Wow. "with the Abbot (Robert Englund) secretly obsessed with prepubescent young boys" - you'd think Englund would want to avoid those sorts of roles after being Data, unless he kinda rebelling against type? Def interested in what Verhoeven does next!

Nothing in the round up kinda jumps out as flicks ITTL me would bother with, even Savage Beasts.

Nice chapter there @Geekhis Khan - lots of cool stuff being made.

Thanks again, all, and glad you liked the Road to Ruin saga. Just something fun and weird and different to pave the read to the fiction zone. Yes, musicals will be a thing in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

quick, everybody, let's spam the thread with "called it" posts :winkytongue:
No more of that talk, or I'll put the leeches on you.

A lot went into his suicide: neurological damage, mental illness, depression, and side effects of his medication. A lot more than I can unpack at the moment.

Also Coppola especially must be the most sought after Director in Hollywood right now since he’s on what seems like a roll. Not only did he manage to release what in-universe is considered to be his second best film (The Assassination of Julius Caesar) in 1995 (which won ten Oscars at the ITTL 1996 Oscars after getting eleven nominations, but also won Coppola Best Director once again), but now he’s managed to release a $550 million worldwide hit out of a musical that everyone thought was going to be a failure. I’m pretty sure Coppola could do any project he wants and this point and it will 100% happen.
Yep, and I'm curious what other folks come up with too!

Talk about irony... (seems like this is a massive universal gag in the Hensonverse)
I may have mentioned liking irony once or twice in the past...

Let's hope that it's something fantastical and worthy of a musical title. Can't wait to see where the musical genre goes next with this.
I'm also curious to see what all of you come up with.

Yes, the Road To Ruins saga was very good indeed @Geekhis Khan.

I may have one of my own ideas coming eventually.....

It'll probably be TTL's replacement of Naruto.
Naruto is one of the biggest and most influential manga/anime property developments of the Late Nineties/Double Os.

Bryan Kozunezko and Michael Dante DiMartino came up with Avatar: The Last Airbender OTL after Nickelodeon failed to acquire the rights to Naruto. If ATLA doesn't happen, then Mae Whitman and Jessie Flower may never get their big breaks as voice actresses. (Zach Taylor Eisen's voice acting debut was in the 2003 Anime Version of Fullmetal Alchemist, as Alphonse Elric, but the stars had to align perfectly for that production itself to happen. For example, we've probably already butterflied away the merger of Squaresoft and Enix.)

Naruto was also very influential when it came to its own shonen genre. No Naruto means much altered Rave Master, Fairy Tail, and especially My Hero Academia, and almost certainly no Black Clover whatsoever. And if World Trigger still happens, it's more of a straight-up harem comedy in the vein of Tenchi or Ranma 1/2 with a Raised-By-Wolves protagonist in the vein of Sagara Sousuke from Full Metal Panic.

A manga/anime scene without Naruto would be, within five years, almost as alien of a pop culture scene as one without, say, Dragonball or Yu Yu Hakushou.

Deleted member 165942

Naruto is one of the biggest and most influential manga/anime property developments of the Late Nineties/Double Os.

Bryan Kozunezko and Michael Dante DiMartino came up with Avatar: The Last Airbender OTL after Nickelodeon failed to acquire the rights to Naruto. If ATLA doesn't happen, then Mae Whitman and Jessie Flower may never get their big breaks as voice actresses. (Zach Taylor Eisen's voice acting debut was in the 2003 Anime Version of Fullmetal Alchemist, as Alphonse Elric, but the stars had to align perfectly for that production itself to happen. For example, we've probably already butterflied away the merger of Squaresoft and Enix.)

Naruto was also very influential when it came to its own shonen genre. No Naruto means much altered Rave Master, Fairy Tail, and especially My Hero Academia, and almost certainly no Black Clover whatsoever. And if World Trigger still happens, it's more of a straight-up harem comedy in the vein of Tenchi or Ranma 1/2 with a Raised-By-Wolves protagonist in the vein of Sagara Sousuke from Full Metal Panic.

A manga/anime scene without Naruto would be, within five years, almost as alien of a pop culture scene as one without, say, Dragonball or Yu Yu Hakushou.
Honestly, just any of the Big 3 not being around would just cause massive changes as One Piece is just too much of a juggernaut to not influence anything, Naruto is as you said it, and Bleach for the time was the biggest Urban Fantasy/Supernatural Manga out there and influenced works like Jujutsu Kaisen.

As a casual anime fan, I agree.
Bryan Kozunezko and Michael Dante DiMartino came up with Avatar: The Last Airbender OTL after Nickelodeon failed to acquire the rights to Naruto.
"I'm gonna be the Avatar! Believe it!"

Yeah, I can actually see a big resemblance between Aang and Naruto, and I hate that.
If ATLA doesn't happen, then Mae Whitman and Jessie Flower may never get their big breaks as voice actresses.
Jessie Flower, I can take or leave.

Mae Whitman not being as big of a VA? Noooooo!!!
(Zach Taylor Eisen's voice acting debut was in the 2003 Anime Version of Fullmetal Alchemist, as Alphonse Elric, but the stars had to align perfectly for that production itself to happen. For example, we've probably already butterflied away the merger of Squaresoft and Enix.)
To be fair, given what Square and Enix were like pre and post-merger, calling it a "merger" and not "Enix buying Squaresoft" was a bad choice of words in hindsight.
Naruto was also very influential when it came to its own shonen genre. No Naruto means much altered Rave Master, Fairy Tail, and especially My Hero Academia, and almost certainly no Black Clover whatsoever.
I find the lack of MHA disturbing.
And if World Trigger still happens, it's more of a straight-up harem comedy in the vein of Tenchi or Ranma 1/2 with a Raised-By-Wolves protagonist in the vein of Sagara Sousuke from Full Metal Panic.
So, the boy lead is the insane one of the pair, and not the girl lead.

Considering your comparisons here on what might have been, I'd like to see how that could have gone.
I'll toast to that. And by "toast", I mean "host a breakfast bonfire".

Exactly.

And where in Neptune tarnation's did you hear that Nickelodeon tried to pick up Naruto?

The most simple solution would be to have these franchises start sooner.

Or my idea "The School Of Ninjas" could be like "Naruto", but a bit more edgier.

"Space Heroes" could be "One Piece", but in space.

Status
Not open for further replies.