What are the geopolitical implications of Hitler being captured and then executed at the Nuremberg trials?

No this was already agreed between the allies as far back as 43. Soviets honored the agreement to the letter with the rest of the nazi leadership.
I mean 'to the letter' sure, but plenty of those guys were physically assaulted and subjected to 'educational' programs before showing up at Nuremberg.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Is there a possibility that Hitler - or, more likely, on claims by legal advisors (can't recall if the accused were permitted legal representation) given the Fuhrer's pride - could be regarded as medically unfit to stand trial?

Last edited:
Is there a possibility that Hitler - or, more likely, and legal advisors (can't recall if the accused were permitted legal representation) given the Fuhrer's pride - could be regarded as medically unfit to stand trial?
Yes, they had counsel although they were all Germans. One Nazi, I can't recall who, tried to hire a British firm he was connected with but was refused. Doenitz, for example was represented by a Kriegsmarine Lawyer.

Is there a possibility that Hitler - or, more likely, on claims by legal advisors (can't recall if the accused were permitted legal representation) given the Fuhrer's pride - could be regarded as medically unfit to stand trial?
OTL, Krupp was found unfit for trial due to brain aneurism.
Do you think there's a possibility of Hitler incriminating Speer during the trial?
Well, all those who threw Hitler to the wolves to defend themselves might have a harder task. TTL, I think there might be additional death sentences.

[highcastle] "Deutsche, hier steh' ich" [/highcastle] might become a popular rallying cry for this timeline's neo-Nazis. It would also likely be considered incitement to ethnic hatred (Volksverhetzung).

Something that I can think of, is that Hitler would be calling out Stalin and yelling about the atrocities of Bolshevism (both real and propaganda ones), and invoking whataboutism to the allies who are accusing him of the same things that Stalin has been doing since the 1930s.

How would the USSR and the world at large react to this? they can obviously just discard it as insane Nazi propaganda, but as the Cold War starts heating up, and Hitler is under trial by the Western Allies, the situation might be different.
They would ignore it. Stalin was a monster, but he was on the winning side. That's all that really matters. They're not in a position to capture and punish him anyways.

Most of Stalin's atrocities were, IIRC either unknown or considered to be exaggerated at this time; Hell, I have read modern day writers who deny his activities! Bit like the Holocaust deniers.

Because of the Milosevic experience the Americans ensured that Saddam Hussein would be tried locally, rather than by an international tribunal. Like other dictators, Saddam actively challenged the court's legitimacy and repeatedly pointed to the Americans as the true enemy. And after his death the trial was seen by many Sunni Iraqis as a sectarian death squad puppeted by the Americans, which played a part in the growing Sunni-Shia tensions.
Would the ICC or any other international tribunal have agreed to try Saddam Hussein, or would they just view it as America's and Iraq's problem?

If Hitler were captured by Israel in the 1950s or the 1960s and trialed there, wouldn't this give the Global North nations extra justification to defend and have diplomacy with Israel since Israel would have captured and punished or trialed the dictator and most well known symbol of Nazi Germany for Hitler and the same Nazi Germany as a nation, and a major well-known criminal dictator and his nation for crimes by extension?

Of course, Global South nations, since they may not care that much as they have more important things like decolonization to think about and since any Axis inflicted damage (at least to land sovereignty) on the Global South was more the direct action of Japan (Tojo and Hirohito), Italy (Mussolini) and Vichy France (Petain) than Germany (Hitler), may not see the Hitler Trial in Israel (or even Hitler and Nazi Germany) as that important compared to the Global North, never mind to the extent of defending and being diplomatic with Israel.

I don’t really see how any principle changes: It is a victors peace and the weak will suffer as they must regardless. Hitler being evil doesn’t really change much as good men who are conquered have also been at the whim of their conqueror throughout history.

This only affects leaders who lose wars or get deposed, which isn’t really different from OTL.

Since the Nuremburg trials were set up post-German defeat after some debate by the Allied powers what would be the chances, in the event of Hitler being captured alive, that the Allies opt for a German judicial panel tk convey the message that he is being prosecuted and (almost certainly) condemned by his own people?

Must have been enough members of the German resistance to organise such a panel.

Or maybe a mix of German jurists plus Allied.

Yes, I know that this would be portrayed as a show trial but didn't OTL neo-Nazis do that anyway? Condemnation by German jurists would convey a strong message that it wasn't just victors' justice but German justice.