What are the geopolitical implications of Hitler being captured and then executed at the Nuremberg trials?

The general consensus that had Hitler being captured at the end of WWII, assuming that he simply wasn't just killed by the USSR in a show trial and actually handed over to be trialed at Nuremberg, that he would most likely get the death penalty and hanged like many of the top Nazi leadership OTL.

But that does raise some interesting questions, namely that it would set a precedence that the head of a nation is not a sacred cow (interestingly enough, Japanese emperor Hirohito was not put on trial in OTL (for complex reasons that can be discussed later) and Mussolini was executed by partisans with barely a sham trial), which seemed to have been the overall trend in previous massive, international wars (the emperors of the defeated central powers mostly went to exile, Napoleon was exiled even after the stunt he pulled in the Hundred Days, etc.).

Thus, the execution of Hitler (however just and deserved) would cast a huge shadow on the leaders of various countries in the Cold War (and even after), with the knowledge that there's always the chance of being executed. Of course, while no leader would think of themselves is irredeemably evil like the Nazis, the knowledge that they would be judged as such in the event of total defeat would have been in the back of their minds.

(In OTL, executing leaders of countries by international courts isn't that common (usually jail sentences of various length were handed out in the cases that actually made it to court), even the execution of Saddam was technically tried by an Iraq court rather than an international one (though admittedly it's pretty obvious that the US was heavily influencing things one way or the other))

Hence the question at hand, how would the execution of Hitler change things in the Cold War and beyond?

Of course, while no leader would think of themselves as irredeemably evil like the Nazis, the knowledge that they would be judged as such in the event of total defeat would have been in the back of their minds.
In the event of defeat in war, it is not a given that a nation's head of state would be tried and convicted like Hitler would in this scenario. Only if his nation's conduct during said war was as heinous as that of the Nazis, and then only if he had a hand in said conduct, should a head of state really have any reason to worry about such a fate.

In the event of defeat in war, it is not a given that a nation's head of state would be tried and convicted like Hitler would in this scenario. Only if his nation's conduct during said war was as heinous as that of the Nazis, and then only if he had a hand in said conduct, should a head of state really have any reason to worry about such a fate.
Obviously no leader would think of themselves as evil, and most of them probably didn't buy into their own propaganda that the other side is irredeemably evil either, but there has to be some concern as to the price of failure in such high stakes total war. Again, executing defeated heads of state just wasn't really done before (of course, we would like to think of Hitler's case as uniquely evil in its depth but other warmongering leaders have been hyped to similar degrees before during their time periods (and leaders after, but that's another story)).

Something that I can think of, is that Hitler would be calling out Stalin and yelling about the atrocities of Bolshevism (both real and propaganda ones), and invoking whataboutism to the allies who are accusing him of the same things that Stalin has been doing since the 1930s.

How would the USSR and the world at large react to this? they can obviously just discard it as insane Nazi propaganda, but as the Cold War starts heating up, and Hitler is under trial by the Western Allies, the situation might be different.

Obviously no leader would think of themselves as evil, and most of them probably didn't buy into their own propaganda that the other side is irredeemably evil either, but there has to be some concern as to the price of failure in such high stakes total war.
Again, if you lose, but fought clean, then I really don't think you need be afraid. He may not have been a head of state, but look at Yasuji Okamura, for instance.

Again, if you lose, but fought clean, then I really don't think you need be afraid.
Then are you implying the various conflicts and other stuff would be fought/managed more 'honorably' compared to OTL? Because in OTL cold war pretty much everyone of note has done some heinous stuff at some point or another.

Then are you implying the various conflicts and other stuff would be fought/managed more 'honorably' compared to OTL? Because in OTL cold war pretty much everyone of note has done some heinous stuff at some point or another.
No, I'm merely saying that heads of state ITTL need not be any more afraid of being tried and convicted should they lose in times of war than they would IOTL. Hitler's capture, conviction and execution won't change the existing status quo of "fight clean and you won't be tried and convicted of anything".

Would he be medically fit to stand trial? Especially if you took away his drugs?
I imagine every effort would be made on the part of Allied medical personnel to make him as fit as possible for his day in court. The trick would be ensuring that none of said personnel are tempted to kill him off in his sleep, especially if they're of Eastern European and/or Jewish descent.

I mean, having everyone hear Hitler rant incoherently, and everyone see Hitler being a nervous wreck, would be a massive blow to Nazism's legacy.
It kinda depends?f the rumors that he had Parkinsons are true... well, then that is a bitch and would continue apace, even with treatment. If they are false, though, being imprisoned for some time before standing trial would give him a chance to detox and get some decent medical treatment that might put a bit of the old fire back in him, which is what happened with Goering. In that case, well... we haven’t put all that many dictators, tyrants, or other authoritarian rulers on trial, but for those we did the trend is for them to be powerful courtroom presences.

King Charles I of England - for all his previous reign a weak and inarticulate man - put in his most magisterial performance at his trial and decried the court as illegal in words that are still quoted today. A decade later all those men who tried him who still lived were painfully put to death as traitors.

Slobodan Milosevic was active and rational at his trial, dragging the proceedings on four years and repeatedly attacking the legitimacy of the proceedings and often taking control of the courtroom, using it repeatedly as a political platform and berating the witnesses. He managed to drag the proceedings on long enough that he died before the court could reach a verdict. By then Milosevic had managed to inflict lasting damage on the reputation of the International Criminal Tribunal for Yugoslavia.

Because of the Milosevic experience the Americans ensured that Saddam Hussein would be tried locally, rather than by an international tribunal. Like other dictators, Saddam actively challenged the court's legitimacy and repeatedly pointed to the Americans as the true enemy. And after his death the trial was seen by many Sunni Iraqis as a sectarian death squad puppeted by the Americans, which played a part in the growing Sunni-Shia tensions.

History suggests that there are very real dangers involved in putting charismatic dictators on the stand, particularly when they have nothing to gain (no possible verdict of innocence) by playing by the court's rules.

Last edited:
No way the USSR would turn him over to Nuremberg, Stalin would use the propaganda coup tot he fullest for the homefront. Whatever remains turned up in the West would be an empty shell of the former ruler (if not a corpse). But let's handwave that (Hitler escapes West somehow and is captured by the Allies?). It would be good for his health, the Allies would go to lengths to recover him physically and mentally (although I imagine he would be kept in isolation from the others).

I do think they would give Hitler a trial and it would radically change the proceedings. In OTL most of the defendants threw Hitler under the bus and laid the blame for their various crimes at his feet. This would be a more difficult tactic with Hitler alive and at your side. Assuming Hitler could get representation, I wonder what tactic they would take. Probably the Goering approach and say the whole court is a fraud and the Allies are just as bad, or worse, then the Germans. Would probably strengthen the international law arguments after Nuremberg.

Hitler would, of course, be found guilty.

I don't know if he would medically by that point be fit for trial. I think he would be thoroughly unrepentant and would continually reject the legitimacy of the court, if he was coherent enough to be able to act independently. Goebbels I think would do the same.

Goring wasn't particularly cooperative and temperamentally he was more down to earth than most top Nazis

If the Russians catch him before the western allies then no one is going to know about until the KGB archives are opened up, if even then because there might not be any records kept. Stalin is going to make sure he is brought to a place outside of Moscow and have him executed in front of him. Then much like Gengis Khan or Attila's tombs the people there will be dealt with, and then those people taken care of. Stalin will want personal revenge on him.

No way the USSR would turn him over to Nuremberg, Stalin would use the propaganda coup tot he fullest for the homefront.

No this was already agreed between the allies as far back as 43. Soviets honored the agreement to the letter with the rest of the nazi leadership.