Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

Whooo!!! New update of my favorite TL!

EDIT: And Sherman is going to march through Georgia at last! I do wonder however if the likely reinforcement of the state due to Governor Brown recalling the Army of Georgia to serve as a militia might lead to some difficulty on his part.

I am curious as to what will happen to Longstreet following his surrender to Grant though.

Last edited:
But other Union armies jumped into action to deliver the coup de grace and end the rebellion once and for all. An offensive was planned in the Shenandoah Valley, basically stripped of all troops to reinforce the Richmond-Petersburg line, while a renewed effort would be made to take Charleston. The most important thrust would come from the South, where Sherman was preparing to cut loose and march through Georgia. “This is the time to strike . . . I’ll move through Georgia, smashing things to the sea,” the General said, proposing a campaign to utterly destroy the remaining resources of the Confederacy. But more importantly, he wanted to destroy their defiance and break their spirit. “If we can march a well-appointed army right through their territory, it is a demonstration to the world, foreign and domestic, that we have a power which Breckinridge couldn’t resist and which Toombs cannot resist now,” Sherman proclaimed. “I can make the march, and make Georgia howl!” The Junta that had overthrown Breckinridge to continue the fight until the bitter end would now have to prove whether it could indeed rally the people to victory, or if Breckinridge was right and their efforts could only end in complete perdition.
Please god Sherman, do it, do The funny.

The Junta thus presided over a decentralization of Confederate war policy, allowing State militias under the direction of their State governments to fight alongside the national armies. This would soon result in victories, Toombs optimistically predicted, for it had been Breckinridge’s unconstitutional meddling that had driven people away and impeded the States from bringing their full strength to bear. Toombs even had the gall to declare in a proclamation that the Junta was “restoring to the people . . . rights that had been unjustly usurped,” constituting a “triumphal return to the rule of law and constitutional government.”
I’m not the one getting echoes of the Nazis in 1945 declaring that their wonder weapons will save them from all this, right?

While finishing off all those disparate bands of Confederates will be bloody work, I imagine the deadenders will contribute a great deal to ensuring a sizable portion of the white Southerns ending up rather done with the Confederacy all together. Not to mention it will lead to the worst of the worst staying in the field till their only choices will be death in battle or hanged as brigands.

Wow, Kirby Smith telling the coup to go kick rocks, Cleburne dying earlier due to his memorandum, and Longstreet flat out throwing himself at the mercy of his old West Point buddy Sam Grant, to say nothing of the plans of 'Burnin' Sherman. Great work as always Red.

Great update and poor Cleburne! The reactions of the generals was an interesting one to see, especially E.K. Smith. Given that he is a dead-ender here, I get the impression that the war might be stretched out a few months longer, with the few months being the time taken to destroy the remnant Trans-Mississippi department. Then again, if the Southern armies are run down and no civilian figures do the surrendering, I'm sure historians will be debating as to when the ACW ended - with the destruction of the last regular army of the South or the victory of Reconstruction.

I do wonder if Chase will still become Chief Justice. IIRC William Strong is the Chief Justice ITTL, which could make placating the radicals unnecessary.
The revocation of Breckinridge’s decrees had, furthermore, freed food and supplies that had been taken from planters with the purpose of feeding the common folk, allowing them to sell these goods at inflated prices instead. Some communities would even remember landowners burning food crops Breckinridge had forced them to plant, naturally after reserving a portion for themselves, all so they would have more land for cotton or other more profitable crops.
Wow. I need some people can truly be evil, but damn.
“Never were parties more numerous,”
Real Downfall vibes here - just like Eva Braun's party while Soviet shells were landing on Berlin.
I am curious as to what will happen to Longstreet following his surrender to Grant though.
My guess is that Grant will take him to the side and offer to have a "game of brag to recall the old days" as he did at Appomattox. But in the long run, that is a good question. Among the generals of the Confederacy, Longstreet and A.S. Johnston are the only army-level generals captured by the Federals. They could try to co-opt them to support the Union or try them for treason on paper. Longstreet may be more willing, but A.S. Johnston was an advocate for disunion since 1856.

Well, I can't wait for the whole rotten structure to come crashing down in flames!

How did you know this was the day for my hernia surgery? :) Looking forward to reading part tonight anyway, resting well at parents house right now. God's tim8ng is amazing. :)

Well everything is truly on 🔥
The Junta are purging both government and military. Longstreet fled to the union lines asking to surrender and save him from the crazies. Cleburne been murdered by his own and they likely paraded his corpse around as a traitor.

Parts of the Confederacy are now ruled by warlords!!!
The Junta thinks state militias are going to save the day like Germany thought in 1945. The damn rich people are partying and trying to ignore the war as the roof is falling all around them.

But even worst is the planter class outright price gorging what food is left and burning food crops to plant cotton or another cash crop....... For once, yeah lets eat the Rich!!! They definitely helped to cause the post war famine.

This is a horrible Southern version of Downfall.

But at least Sherman finally marching..... Go Sherman and make Georgia scream!!!

Got through the first half tonight. It reminds me of how everyone was marrying and given unto marriage until the day, Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed, which is just what I think a lot of northern preachers are going to mention when it comes to the last days of this Confederacy.

I love seeing how their Vice President was seen by some as being the rightful leader, but it was as if nobody really paid attention, and the dissolution of the Confederate Congress made a lot of sense the way it was done.

The honda still has some scruples, they did not arrest Mary Chestnut. I think that was a bridge too far even for them. To arrest and try a woman at that time.

You do a great job oshowing.g how the warlords develop as the government ceases to exist in the South. Longstreet's exit was certainly very good and the fact that he knew Grant should help him. I am anxious to read the second half tomorrow. .

I am sorry it's been a long time bas north Virginia happened in this timeline because if it hasn't a united Virginia will be a huge swing if it hasn't

Then again, if the Southern armies are run down and no civilian figures do the surrendering, I'm sure historians will be debating as to when the ACW ended - with the destruction of the last regular army of the South or the victory of Reconstruction.
On that note, I wouldn't be surprised if the CSA's commerce raiders go out fighting instead of surrendering like they did IOTL, especially as the last commerce raider of the Confederate Navy attacked Union ships months after the Confederate surrender.