Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

An amazingly quick show trial but I wonder if they were afraid that they might defect. In fact, it is mentioned that others are also arrested so it sounds like Longstreet may simply walk across to the other side because he is afraid of being arrested. Even if they don't have plans to right at the moment, with Jackson part of the coup he could figure his days are numbered.

The junta really seems deluded at this point. What are they going to use to win? Their military is a mess. For that matter, I don't think any sort of surrender would be accepted, and if Breckinridge had tried others could have just said no, they wouldn't. Which was sort of why I thought Davis might just organize something saying that he was not fit and come up with a way to constitutionally remove him.

Poor white Southerners end of the freedmen will be able to find things in common if helped by others to see them, and maybe even talking themselves about them. Politics after the Civil War will be very interesting in this timeline's South.

Last edited:
On October 26th, barely over two weeks after the coup d’état that had overthrown the regime of John C. Breckinridge, the citizens of Richmond witnessed the execution of their former leader.
I'll admit, I had always assumed Breckenridge would die.

But for whatever reason had assumed it would be anticlimactic. It would be while secluded in prison due to typhoid. Or in a fire. Or he'd simply disappear. Something would happen in the fall of Richmond and he'd never be heard from again.

I had never considered that the regime would be so insane as to literally make his execution a public spectacle.

Last edited:
While iOTL there certainly were feuds among the generals, and between the politicians and the generals, I don't think the Confederacy was *significantly* more affected by it than the Union. It doesn't take much squinting to imagine all of the Confederate leadership as united in a common cause. iTTL, it involves closing your eyes and being hit in the head with a frying pan.

I wonder if some state governments seeing the insanity in Richmond are contemplating telling Lincoln: "it was just a prank bro, please let back into the Union". Something makes me think even the prospect of a social and economic revolution is a better prospect then getting summarily executed by the idiots in the junta.

Also, I love that you wrote the narrative piece with Breckenridge and Davis before this chapter. It helps to convey how gut-wrenching it must be to the average Confederate soldier to seeing their beloved president who not unlike Lincoln deeply cares for his people and his soldiers be executed for effectively doing his job. Even though I know ultimately they are terrible people who deal in human chattel, I can't help feel a small feeling of sympathy for them. I think even the North's reaction will be of disgust and horror at the actions of the Junta.

And on that note, the fact the regime had to find another firing squad to do the execution is definitely an auspicious sign for their regime to come, right? /s
I guess that the Union troops outside Richmond will hear a lot of shootings from Richmond's direction a few days or weeks after this ?

And on that note, the fact the regime had to find another firing squad to do the execution is definitely an auspicious sign for their regime to come, right? /s
Nothing says we've got it all under control like a civil war while your "nation" is collapsing in it's death throes.

Oh Zeus
They actually killed their own president by firing squad!!
Nice to see Beckinridge had some loyalists left to defend before his captured. And dude went out like a boss, no begging and crying for his life. Heck the first firing squad couldn't do it and they had to be replaced. That showed he was still loved to the very end.
Didn't expected Davis to meet his end as well
But he faced it bravely and damn his wife for stopping him. Even if it was a long shot, Davis should had tried to escape his captured.

Not sure how the Junta thought a public execution was a good idea but it sure backfired on them. They literally murdered the champion of the poor southern People and I generally surprised they didn't toss Beckinridge's body in the trash or a shallow grave.

Alright Jackson is a damn fanatic and screw up dude. Dinner or just hanging out with him must be an unusual experience.

I hoping Longstreet is like " oh shit these people are insane!!! " and planning to get the hell out of there.

The Junta has truly screwed the South to a downfall ending. I hope they survived to have a trial of their own or see some mob justice at the end.

If I want to summarize this entire story in one sentence, it would be this:

"The North giving the Confederates a giant kick to the groin after the Confederates shot itself in the foot but after the Confederates gave the Federals two suckerpunches."

And tales of refugees telling of purges of anyone the Planter Junta declares to be a “Breckinridge Supporter”.
I'm actually expecting some kind of Longstreet-led counter coup but only half successful, creating a Confederates Civil War in American Civil War.

Edit : Actually, I wonder during this time, has Sherman reached Georgia already ? Will he sack it or will the Southrons do it for him ?

Last edited:
An amazingly quick show trial but I wonder if they were afraid that they might defect. In fact, it is mentioned that others are also arrested so it sounds like Longstreet may simply walk across to the other side because he is afraid of being arrested. Even if they don't have plans to right at the moment, with Jackson part of the coup he could figure his days are numbered.
Could be one part wanting to cement their power/make sure his loyalists are unable to rally to him, and one part making a example of him.

I wonder if some state governments seeing the insanity in Richmond are contemplating telling Lincoln: "it was just a prank bro, please let back into the Union". Something makes me think even the prospect of a social and economic revolution is a better prospect then getting summarily executed by the idiots in the junta.

Also, I love that you wrote the narrative piece with Breckenridge and Davis before this chapter. It helps to convey how gut-wrenching it must be to the average Confederate soldier to seeing their beloved president who not unlike Lincoln deeply cares for his people and his soldiers be executed for effectively doing his job. Even though I know ultimately they are terrible people who deal in human chattel, I can't help feel a small feeling of sympathy for them. I think even the North's reaction will be of disgust and horror at the actions of the Junta.
North Carolina always seems to be the go to state for this type of thing.

Actually, I could see North Carolina arguing for leniency on the fact that they were surrounded and pretty much forced by geography to join the Confederate cause. They may even attempt to defect and ask to sort the rest out once everything else is done.

Honestly, one scene I think is gonna happen is this:

New colonel takes over regiment, Fire Eater on board with the new Regime. Basically tries to rally the men to go fight the damnyankees.

The men retort by pointing out they're hungry, unsupplied with ammo or even shoes, and half of them are walking wounded.

He retorts by saying they go or he'll shoot them.

They point out there's a lot more of them then him, and they all still have bayonets.

What does it say about Red’s writing when I’m actually horrified by the nature in which the Coup happens or the fact that I legitimately felt sorry for Breckinridge’s murder? I must congratulate you on writing these scenes in such a way that shows actual nuance and doesn’t paint them as cartoonish in their villainy. This is fantastic reading and I can’t wait to read more!

A interesting change too is that it might make the question of "when did the Civil War end" fairly murky.

There's not going to be any surrender by a central authority here. Individual regiments, generals, or even armies might. Individual governors or state governments could too. There will be a point in which formal resistance will surely have collapsed and the last armies surrender or are destroyed, but that won't mean the end of rebel raids. And number of officials by then likely will have fled overseas, too.

While I could buy Jackson going along with the coup, I don't know if I can buy Jackson willingly allowing the execution of Davis and Breckinridge, if I'm honest.