Toyotomi Strikes South

Joseon is what I meant, thank you. And I put the "could" in place with the latter because it is a possibility, not a certainty. While Joseon trade can go through China there might still be trouble with the Qing that could prove troublesome regardless that could slow or stop it, making Japan's position in the country disproportionate with time.

Again, it's unlikely that the Qing would exist if the Imjin War did not occur, and given how Joseon continued to send tribute and establish stable diplomatic relations with both the Ming and Qing, I find it hard to imagine a situation in which China would strain this balance. While Korea would potentially have a significantly larger area and population depending on the potential conflict with the Manchus, it would not think about antagonizing China, as doing so would cause it to lose a major trading partner, along with severing diplomatic relations and a potential invasion. Given how the peninsula's population either doubled or tripled around 1550-1800 due to the introduction of cash crops from its neighbors, the trade was certainly extensive. As a result, while Japan's influence might increase overall, China's presence would still be retained to a certain degree.

It looks like the southern route to attack was seriously considered and the Spaniards in Manila noticeably worried at the prospect.

elkarlo

Banned
It looks like the southern route to attack was seriously considered and the Spaniards in Manila noticeably worried at the prospect.

They were worried IOTL. But there wasn't much they could do. How many soldiers could they really base there? Maybe thousand at most? When it comes down to it, Manila was really a trading post. It wouldn't be able to stand up to a nation state like Japan.

They were worried IOTL. But there wasn't much they could do. How many soldiers could they really base there? Maybe thousand at most? When it comes down to it, Manila was really a trading post. It wouldn't be able to stand up to a nation state like Japan.

Sure. It had a garrison of less than 600 Spaniards, and I really doubt that a Filipino armed militia would be in the cards.
Some fortifications were built and some preparation were done, but I don't think that Manila can stand a chance.

The Spanish considered the Phillipines useless and would probably be willing to hand it over to the Japanese for the tight price. Not to mention that the men in charge of the colony were already planning to launch an invasion of China. So there's the start of a wonderful alliance right there provided the Japanese are willing to join in.