There Is No Depression: Protect and Survive New Zealand

Crossposted from https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-p-s-open-thread.214970/page-59#post-14436606
Found a map for thePortuguese train network even closer to the POD:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OYt5jqqH3Q8/VXMtsh4VzJI/AAAAAAAAGeA/N3syGWsc-0k/s1600/mapa+cp+1985.gif
mapa%2Bcp%2B1985.gif

data on the Agricultural Statistics - 2006 (Estatísticas Agrícolas - 2006), from Statistics Portugal, I couldn't find earlier data.
https://www.ine.pt/xportal/xmain?xp...PUBLICACOESpub_boui=6209833&PUBLICACOESmodo=2
https://www.ine.pt/ngt_server/attachfileu.jsp?look_parentBoui=24172691&att_display=n&att_download=y
Page 104, table 92, and previous pages

fuel sufficiency: link from the Bank of Portugal, page 5, graph 2, in 1984.
it was slightly slower than today, by eye, it seemed to have been around 90% energetic dependency, which means there would be heavy fuel rationing, which could complicate food distribution.
https://www.bportugal.pt/sites/default/files/anexos/papers/ab201007_p.pdf

XX. One Black Friday
XX. One Black Friday
Baby, when you say you want me
Oh, babe, you know it’s not true…

..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . / .--. .- ... - / ..- -. - .. .-.. / -.-. --- -- .--. .-.. . - .. --- -.

Christchurch, Canterbury
July 20, 1984

Lange and McLay weren’t entirely surprised to meet each other on the way to Palmer’s office in the Civic; in the spirit of unity (or, more likely, in the spirit of not being seen to favour one over the other) he’d taken to seeing both at once for high-level briefings. Lange thought it showed poor party loyalty, but then very little Geoff had done since March had. As if there were any choice in the matter for the poor bastard.

What was surprising, though, was walking in on the Prime Minister examining a bottle of whisky in his hands with a kind of feigned concentration which was unbelievable in the circumstances; he had to have heard the two visitors walking down the hall, so this must be some sort of dramatic affectation of what he imagined looked sufficiently Prime Ministerial. Trust the law professor to be an amateur dramatist. Palmer motioned for them to sit down across the desk from him and opened the bottle, pouring out three generous measures of liquid amber somewhat unsteadily.

“Roger’ll have your head for that lack of austerity, Geoff,” Lange joked somewhat uncertainly with a dig at the Minister of Supply. The PM gave a tight-lipped smile as he passed over the glasses.

“I just received a report via the SIS from Tristan,” replied Palmer, referring to the long-distance shortwave radio network which allowed patchy communications with Britain via the series of isolated little rocks which had escaped the war (which the Poms had taken to calling, somewhat clinically in David’s opinion, the Exchange) “and we got one hell of a report from the task force.”

Lange’s heart sank. McLay’s turned to lead. Palmer’s look didn’t say ‘the missiles are coming again’, though. They’d’ve heard about that by now, though; this wasn’t that bad, but it couldn’t be good.

“We…NATO…I mean, the, the English, at least, they’ve been in contact with Europe,” the PM continued unsteadily and at length, his façade of serene know-it-all crumbling “and they found out from the Swiss that Munich…ha, ah-ha, half, half of Munich’s still standing. Not that that’s a, ah, a bad thing, mind you,” he added with a glance “but the division of Russians in the city gave everyone a bit of a shock.”

“Fuck.” Lange’s head swivelled to face McLay’s curse as questions exploded into his mind and Palmer spoke again.

“That’s not the half of it. Apparently some of the chaps down the hole” he used the colloquialism somebody had coined for the British emergency HQ at the massive bunker complex “thought it’d be a good idea to bomb the Ivans back to the Stone Age, end the war once and for all…as it were.”

“What, Buenos Aires wasn’t enough for ‘em?” joked Lange grimly.

“They were somewhat galvanised, you might say,” continued the PM as if there’d been no interruption “by finding out that the Russians had – ah, have, I should say – a dozen medium-range missiles, an-” he paused again as the party leaders interjected again with escalating and inventive degrees of profanity “and there was rather a lot of dispute on whether or not to take the gamble. It seems that the Americans have also turned up in Portsmouth, and,” a cold, distant stare into the ether “they advocated for the plan.”

“Fuck me.”

“Then – and don’t ask me how – the British got a truce. The Russians have agreed to hold talks, begged for it if I’ve been told the truth, and NATO’s sending whatever survivors they can dredge up from the diplomatic corps to Munich. So with that” he said, raising his glass with the sickly smile of one about to throw up “cheers.” A grave tilt of the tumbler before he took a knock of the whisky, gasping around the firewater as he collected his thoughts.

“They nearly did it again, they really nearly did,” he said two or three times, eyes flickering upwards from his glass to the ceiling and back down to Lange as he made a questioning noise. “Yeah, David?”

“Are these the...official representatives of the Soviet Union? I mean, if the Allies are pushing for diplomacy…”

“They’re as many Russians as anyone’s seen alive since that submarine beached itself in Yorkshire; what’s more surprising, actually, is the number of Germans they reckon are still kicking. A hundred thousand or so, maybe more in the wop-wops near Switzerland.”

“Are…are we planning to send anyone over?” This from Jim. “I mean, we did declare war as well,” a lifetime of regret compressed itself into a sentence “so are we planning to sign a peace treaty or negotiate or…well, have a look-in?”

“No real point; someone from the High Commission might try and nip over with the British if they’re in a sharing mood, but we’re probably not getting more than a second-hand account from the Australians, all things considered. We’re planning to send Duncan over for Charlie’s coronation, but that won’t be until August, at least. Depending if his heart’s up for it, otherwise we’ll deputise someone else.” Palmer idly eyed both men in front of him. They weren’t exactly slavering like hounds, but the ambition in each was clear to see. “Besides, we declared war under ANZUS; now that the threat to our allies has ended, peace with honour time.”

“And you think they’ll call it a peace?”

“You think they won’t?” interjected Lange. “I’m told there’s nothing left but howling wilderness between Munich and Tokyo; no point salting the earth any more thoroughly. Plus, I can’t imagine Whitelaw’s comfortable with the idea of even more dead Germans on his conscience.”

Palmer nodded. David might not have anything substantive to say, but at least the nothing he says is eloquent. “So,” Geoff said around a heavy sigh and another humourless salute with the tumbler, “to peace, gents.”

“Peace,” said Lange dully, the word heavy and rubbery and uncomfortable. A hard word. A foreign word. War was an easy word to say. Peace…that was going to take work.

- .... . -.-- .----. .-.. .-.. / - ..- .-. -. / .- .-- .- -.-- / -. --- / -- --- .-. .

I know when you hold me
You won’t see it through…

- .... --- ... . / .-- .... --- / -.-. .- -- . / -... . ..-. --- .-. . / -- .

Te Aroha, Waikato
July 21, 1984

Grace had tried her damnedest over the last month to steer her way around talking about her feelings or herself. It was easier on a farm, she had to admit; you could always find some menial task to fling yourself into and lose yourself for a few hours, by which time your interrogator had either forgotten what they wanted to ask you or had been dragged into some chore of their own. Going down to Hamilton for the rugby had helped, too; Auckland edged out Waikato 27-24, which had given Grace and Mel and all the other evacuees from Auckland something to feel cheerful about as they squelched uneasily about the grounds of the imaginatively-titled Rugby Park while the odds-and-sods team scraped together from the scorched and scattered remnants of the Auckland Rugby Union crashed against the sturdy, well-fed and -housed men of Waikato like a blue wave. More than a few of the people about the place outside Te Aroha – including those who couldn’t have cared less about the game itself – insisted that their boys had just rolled over to give the bloody Aucklanders something to stop being so damn miserable about.

Grace thought, if they’d been watching the same match, that they were full of it.

Winter hadn’t made it as easy to keep dodging conversation, even if it wasn’t quite as cold and wet as she’d expected this far south of the Bombays, and Eileen could put the SIS to shame for sheer bloody-minded persistence. So it was that Grace had finally been run to ground, and having been trapped in the kitchen had decided to just tell the unfriendly, kindly, terrifying old hag what was on her mind. Surprisingly enough, being frank and honest had stopped her in her tracks better than any number of lies Grace could have turned out. People were strange like that; go head-on and they didn’t know which way to look.

So now the conversation had gone all weird and deep and meaningful, and they were talking about the meaning of life. Always small talk, naturally.

“Well,” Grace asked Eileen, “what do you think about it? I mean, honestly, you know?”

The old woman paused and stared out the window at the damp landscape which stretched onto the horizon, shelter belts and houses and telephone poles pricking through the blanket of green, not saying a word for long enough for Grace to think maybe she hadn’t heard or was deciding to ignore the question or had spotted something more interesting in the distance, when her voice creaked into life.

“I remember Uncle Paul,” she said, “when he come back from France. Three times him and his cobbers were gassed, and he was the only one to live. All his friends were killed, and he ended up spending three months in Scotland, where he took up with a local girl.” Eileen didn’t move her eyes from the horizon, and kept her grip on the edge of the sink. “When he come back from France, he got home to the ‘flu. Well, it wasn’t a pretty time for him and Elspeth; the farm nearly got foreclosed, and Mum died in nineteen-nineteen, and their first son, ah…Robert, that was the name, well he was drowned in the water tank up at the old Stuart place.

“He never slept indoors, not for the rest of his life; he got terrible nightmares inside after being gassed in his, ah, in the – oh, what’s the word? Trench, that’s the one. Well. That made the honeymoon interesting, as you can imagine.” The pickled-walnut face cracked into a smile. “My point is, war’s a dreadful thing. It’s why Uncle Liam became a Quaker after he got sent home from Gallipoli with a pocket full of medals and an empty trouser leg.

“But life still has to go on, you see, and there’s always something to wake up to tomorrow. You’ve always got to remember that tomorrow’s another day, girlie, and you won’t find out if it’s going to be better until you wake up to it.”

Grace frowned in thought as she mused on that, wetting her lips so her reply wouldn’t come out as a croak.

“It…I mean, you make a point, but…well, it doesn’t give you much to go on, does it? I mean, what’s the point of waiting around for it to get better when the world’s ended?” Her voice cracked at the tail end of that sentence, and Eileen was looking directly at her now, with those gimlet eyes which had seen three world wars and several lifetimes’ worth of hardship. “If everyone you know’s dead, then how are you meant to not feel like there’s no fucking point in it?” Definitely wobbling now, enough that she’d forgotten the old bat’s aversion to cursing: Grace was skewered ever so briefly by the steely gaze from those watery, white-rimmed eyes, before they softened and that wrinkled, thin-lipped mouth twisted itself into something resembling a sad smile.

“Well, what else can you do but work towards something? What’s the point in just giving up, then?” Her chin, or more specifically the short, patchy whiskers which are the domain of those too elderly to care about fripperies like vanity any more, pointed accusingly at Grace. “You find something that makes you happy and does some good for others, and you keep at it. There’s plenty needs doing for the world these days, anyway,” she said. “Can’t waste your blessed life in mourning. You just…well, you try to remember them, and do what you can to make ‘em proud, but when the sun goes down you just have to keep yourself going. Oh, you can do things for others – we need people to be so kind, and Uncle Paul wouldn’t’ve lived so long without our Elsie – but if you spend your life with the dead then you’re not living at all.”

“So that’s all I’m meant to do with the rest of my life, survive?”

“Better than the alternative, isn’t it?”

Grace supposed that was right. She’d never really thought about death before she got slapped in the face with it. Now that it was everywhere, she wasn’t sure what to think of life. Old Eileen had a point, though; it was more interesting than…nothing? Heaven? If she’d never really thought about death, she’d tried not to think about what came after. Besides a vague sense of cultural Christianity that lent a sort of passive belief in the afterlife, the last few months didn’t really paint a picture of a kind or caring God. Supposing there wasn’t, though, you had to admit that hanging around had its benefits.

Eileen, for her part, took the lapse into silence as a sufficient end to the conversation.

“Now, that’s enough sugar, don’t you think? You’ll come right, girlie, don’t you worry. You’ve got a pretty face and a sharp enough mind and you can cook better than the hopeless lot I’ve seen so far. You’ll find someone before too long, I expect.”

Grace might have debated this reduction of her life’s meaning to her marital status (well, if she were Mel, perhaps; apparently one of the guys around the place had ended up with a dislocated thumb through some series of events or another), but it was at that moment that the rapid-fire thumping of heavy feet on lino announced the impending presence of one of the men of the house – it turned out, when the door burst open, to be Philip, one of the innumerable family members who’d come to roost for the duration – and a commotion at the other end of the house echoed after him. Eileen made as if to ask him what the devil was going on, and might have used a couple of choice words for him having just tracked mud along the hallway she’d mopped earlier were it not for him cutting her off with the rebuke still forming on her acid tongue.

“The war’s ended,” he said. “Just come through on the radio. It’s over.”

All of a sudden, Grace didn’t know whether she was crying with happiness, relief, or sadness.

It didn’t really matter.

.-.. .. ...- . -.. / - .... .-. --- ..- --. .... / - .... . .. .-. / ...- --- -.-. .- - .. --- -. ...

Going outta town as fast as I can go,
Going down and I don’t feel low…

- . .-.. .-.. / -- . --..-- / .... --- .-- / -.. --- . ... / .. - / ..-. . . .-..

From James, C. Shambling Towards Tomorrow: New Zealand 1984-1992. Masterton: Fraser, 1995.

6. All roads lead to Munich

“It is not with the usual choice between jubilation and delight…but instead relief that I can say to you today that…fighting has ended between the Western Alliance and the Soviet bloc.

The war is over.”

- Geoffrey Palmer

The words which, in days gone by, might well have set a population aflame into a conflagration of celebration, met in the warm, dry winter of 1984 with almost sullen acceptance. For most people the war had ended, one way or another, on February 22.

So it was that Geoffrey Palmer’s words were received with something approaching indifference. There was no dancing in the streets, no joyous singing, no carefree drinking. The reason for this stemmed from one essential thought: there was no longer any coherent thought of what shape the future should take.

The new generation of activists determined to have New Zealand, as Muldoon might have said, the way they wanted it, and who had been on the cusp of coming to operate the levers of power in late 1983, were left in limbo. Before the war, New Zealand had been frozen in place. As I noted at that time, there was ‘no choice and none needed. Small, rich and complete. Bland beyond boredom. The most comfortable place in the world’. [1] For the Vietnam generation, the natural reaction against this cloying comfort was to strive for greater personal and social freedoms, with the possibility of a loss of security accepted as collateral.

After February 1984, with the fabric of society under threat of rending altogether, the priorities were abruptly inverted. Freedom from want, and the basic securities of life, were suddenly worth continuing the sacrifice of control over many aspects of economic life to the government. Perhaps a little blandness, it was begrudgingly realised, was the price you paid to avoid starving to death in a world which had gone overnight from being a bright frontier to a nightmare landscape. The return of the aid mission to Britain – Belich’s famed ‘last stand of re-colonialism’ – and, more importantly, the stories told by the haunted eyes and terse reports of the young men themselves, confirmed these suspicions.

If New Zealand had been, as I insisted then and have steadfastly maintained since, on the cusp of a revolution, it was likewise forestalled. Radical change had already been imposed from outside; the pressures from within were now to respond to that change and attempt to re-impose equilibrium. Nevertheless, those radicals would seek to harness that pressure to pursue ends more in line with their pre-war desires than the pre-war status quo. This was neither a simple nor short-term process, with the liberal-conservative strand of National which inevitably returned to power under Birch in 1992 presiding over a country which would have been familiar yet foreign to a New Zealander from 1982: economic restructuring undertaken in the interests of efficiency in the rationing system under Douglas’ Ministry of Supply; constitutional law reform spearheaded by Palmer before and after his resignation at the end of the State of Emergency; indeed, the State of Emergency itself, wherein…

…survivor’s guilt is a well-documented phenomenon nowadays, it was poorly-theorised in the New Zealand of 1984, as indeed most mental illnesses were. It stemmed from a general resignation towards the situation as it was, as pre-war economic malaise was baked into the zeitgeist by the twin fires of Auckland and Wellington. The focus on survival certainly lent an immediacy to everything, but it was not sufficient to give people something to strive for. All that could be done, it was felt, was to rebuild things, to bring back the old. And in focusing upon what needed to be salvaged from the ruins of that old, comfortable world, New Zealand was forced to examine the scope of its losses.

The most reliable estimates, collated from 1986 Census data, reports from refugee centres and triage ‘clinics’ and, in some areas, simple word-of-mouth, put the total death toll at approximately 350,000; one-tenth of New Zealand’s pre-war population. Their absence was keenly felt in the unearthly mildness and eerie stillness of that first winter after the bombs fell.

We have felt it every year since.

.-- .... . -. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .... . .- .-. - / --. .-. --- .-- ... / -.-. --- .-.. -..

Don’t point me out in a crowd
Don’t point that thing at me…

Last edited:
Oh wow that was well written, the description of Grace was well done, I have a picture of her now.
A little fog here in my Waikato valley tonight!
What would the Waikato be without fog!!

Oh wow that was well written, the description of Grace was well done, I have a picture of her now.
A little fog here in my Waikato valley tonight!
What would the Waikato be without fog!!

Thanks! Grace is actually one of the few characters I've had a definite image of since the beginning; the blonde on the left in the below image (see the Don't Fight it Marsha music video for a less blurry, ill-defined still shot) was who I had in mind. I don't tend to operate with fixed ideas of identities or appearances in mind, though; I leave it to the reader to agree with my image or not. This is particularly so with the Lance-Corporal, who I originally conceived as an everyman thrust into the action through happenstance, but whose character has since migrated to a slightly more definite image. So it goes.

5112.hero.png.jpg

I hope I didn't gaze too far into my navel with this update; we're approaching the end, and the future literary snippets are going to be loaded with this introspective mumbo-jumbo.

Thanks! Grace is actually one of the few characters I've had a definite image of since the beginning; the blonde on the left in the below image (see the Don't Fight it Marsha music video for a less blurry, ill-defined still shot) was who I had in mind. I don't tend to operate with fixed ideas of identities or appearances in mind, though; I leave it to the reader to agree with my image or not. This is particularly so with the Lance-Corporal, who I originally conceived as an everyman thrust into the action through happenstance, but whose character has since migrated to a slightly more definite image. So it goes.

5112.hero.png.jpg

I hope I didn't gaze too far into my navel with this update; we're approaching the end, and the future literary snippets are going to be loaded with this introspective mumbo-jumbo.

I've always pictured Grace as Maori for some reason, most likely the Once Were Warriors character of the same name :)

Great as usual, but the old woman name seems to have changed from Eileen to Noreen in the last chapter for some reason.

I've always pictured Grace as Maori for some reason, most likely the Once Were Warriors character of the same name :)

Equally valid interpretation; I've tried to leave descriptions of (non-historical domain) characters ambiguous enough that the reader can form their own image of them.

Great as usual, but the old woman name seems to have changed from Eileen to Noreen in the last chapter for some reason.

See, this is what you get when you change a name from the draft version just before posting one chapter and forget to change it in all subsequent chapters. Fixed (there's one to check for the big writeup on the final version later on).

The TL aten't dead, just resting. I'm plugging away at the next chapter (there are about two left, after which I'm going to look at rewrites for a definitive version which makes me cringe less at my early attempts at writing), and it should be out sometime later in the month.

XXI: We Don't Know How Lucky We Are
Remember when I said I'd have an update by the start of July? Well, here it is a month after that. To compensate, it's far, far too long. As usual, comments and questions are appreciated.

XXI. We Don’t Know How Lucky We Are

Billy didn’t have a lot to say,
He never ever spoke

.-- . / ..-. --- ..- --. .... - / ..-. --- .-. / --. --- --- -.. --..-- / ... - --- --- -.. / ... .. -.. . / -... -.-- / ... .. -.. .

North Atlantic Ocean
July 29, 1984

The farewell had been a lot less enthusiastic than the welcome. There was no pageantry, no speeches, and hardly any acknowledgement that they’d spent two months on the other side of the world busting their arses in an irradiated hellscape to help the Poms shoot their own people.

The New Zealanders were leaving before any of them had a chance to get dragooned into heading over to Munich with the diplomatic mob sorting out what the brass optimistically called a peace treaty. Apparently, they’d already called it quits back home; the PM had told the nation that the war was over, and it had apparently occurred to Christchurch that it would raise awkward questions if they kept two hundred-odd troops needed at home away the hell over in England.

So, here they were, back aboard Taranaki for what the Lance Corporal prayed was the last time. He was throwing up about as often as on the ride up here, and was happy – between heaves – to blame that on the constant pitch and roll.

Pity it didn’t explain the nightmares. Still, you couldn’t have it all.

For one, the pitching and rolling was a more pressing pain in the arse at the moment as he staggered his way along to a meeting with the Major in the single cabin he got by way of a CO’s office-cum-quarters. The gunmetal grey corridors lurched at him as he clung to the guardrail and made his way down the stairs as gingerly as humanly possible. After what felt like an eternity broken up only by an awkward interaction with one of the Navy lads in the narrow corridor, he fell into the Major’s broom closet and just about into his lap while he was at it.

“Good of you to join me, Corporal,” he said impassively as the underofficer tried to regain balance and composure. The Major was an odd one like that, the Lance Corporal had found. You’d never see him smile at anything nor laugh nor joke, but his eyes had this weird glimmer which if you caught it seemed to be laughing or at least smiling knowingly at things. Maybe you just had to be crazy to be in the brass. You sure as hell had to be crazy to be in the Army these days.

“You –” an ungainly stumble against the wall “ – wanted to see me, sir?”

“I’ve heard from others in the company that you’ve been acting strangely for the past few weeks. Would you have any idea why that might be?”

“Couldn’t imagine why, sir. I reckon I’ve done my duties same as ever. I haven’t been reported for anything, have I?”

“Not formally, Corporal, no. These are more behavioural reports. Acting strangely in the sense of being distant, closed-off and what-have-you, whenever anyone brings up the tour. Though I did get one report from Sergeant Armstrong, who advised I raise the matter with you directly.”

“On what?”

“Apparently your magazine didn’t have any cartridges in it. Wouldn’t happen to know anything about that, would you?” He fixed the Lance-Corporal with a stare which could stop a missile in mid-flight. “Let’s cut to the chase, shall we, Mudgway? You weren’t the only man to fire your gun in anger out here, Corporal; three other squads were present at those ‘low-level civil disturbances,’ and in every instance shots were fired to disperse crowds.”

“Food riots.” The Lance-Corporal shook his head in disgust at the sterile bureaucratic words, the Major giving a slow nod of agreement. “Fucking food riots. Sir. Old folks and women and kiddies who haven’t eaten in six months and have been lining up for a tin of beans and a hunk of that shitty bread every day since and they’re sick of it, sick of being treated like shit rather than human people.” The words were falling out in a clumsy heap now, and took him with them.

“I killed someone. A kid, he should be in school trying to get into bed with some girl who’s out of his league or playing cricket and stealing his dad’s beer, not trying to steal bread to stay alive. And now he’s dead, and I killed him, and what the fuck am I meant to do with that? Jesus, even in Porirua we at least got to pretend to be doing the right thing; here, I just…” his hands waved, grasping for words in the air. “You know what the worst part is, sir? Straight after it happened, with Zitnik and Scott and the, the others all standing about and waiting for me to tell them what to do, you know what the Poms did? They just got a couple of fellas over, dragged the kid away, and went right back to what they’d been doing.”

When he looked up to face the CO, his eyes were a little more red-rimmed than before.

“They didn’t even look at me. I thought maybe they were trying to stop a riot, which made sense; it was why I shot him, and that they’d get round to dealing with me afterwards. And they didn’t. Never said a word about it. The CO looked me in the eyes, told me to take the squad back to base, and left us to it. I don’t think it even got reported.” The Lance-Corporal blinked suddenly as a thought occurred to him. “Did it get reported?” he asked, almost hopefully. The Major closed his eyes and shook his head silently. Another question, the note of desperation all the keener. “Was I…” the Lance-Corporal licked his lips nervously, “Did anybody else…shoot anybody?”

From the look in his eyes and the set of his jaw, the Lance-Corporal knew the answer before the Major finished drawing the breath to sigh “No.”

“Fuck. It’s not right.”

“You did what was necessary at the time. Of course it doesn’t bloody feel right, but you knew that the alternative would have been a total loss of control –” the Lance-Corporal snorted, and the Major’s composure cracked a little more as he rolled his eyes. “Look, you can beat the shit out of yourself for it now, but you haven’t seen the reports I have, and the reality of the situation here, Bill, the real reality of all this, is that people have killed each other for a lot less than whatever that kid was trying to pinch. It’s bullshit that he died but think of the alternative.

“If he’d been let off, that crowd would’ve rushed you and don’t tell me they’d’ve let you be, Mudgway, because the Poms have a lot of nasty reasons for the shoot-to-kill orders. Half of their soldiers have probably seen their mates get their heads smacked in with bricks enough to see that there’s an unbelievably thin line between order and chaos. Those civilians would’ve torn you and the boys you’re responsible for apart. You saved their lives. Look at me, Corporal. You did what you had to.”

The final few words thudded into place with the finality of the grave. The Lance Corporal’s voice was rough and husky when he finally responded.

“With respect, sir, that doesn’t give me a lot to go on.”

The Major sighed, humanity peeking through again.

“Just…try not to think about it, Mudgway. You’ll be back in New Zealand in a few weeks. At least you’ll be on the other side of the world from where it happened. Dismissed, Corporal.”

“Thank you, sir,” he said coldly as he lurched back out into the hallway, narrowly missing a concussion on the way to the bunkroom. Trying to find out where his feet would land next gave him something to focus on in the moment, at least. It was just enough for now.

. - . .-. -. .- .-.. / .-. .. --. .... - ... / .-- . / .-.. . ..-. - / -... . .... .. -. -..

You turn your head, but isn’t the same
Well, it’s only all gone…

--- -. / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-. / .-- .- ...- . ... --..-- / - .... . / .... .. --. .... ... / .- -. -.. / .-.. --- .-- ...

Christchurch, Canterbury
August 4, 1984

It had been a busy couple weeks, since the news from London about the impending end of the war. The Russians were soon to host their little peace conference in Munich and officially call an end to this madness, but the aftermath remained firmly present. The lines work outside Wellington had finally been completed, the resettlement programmes were getting along well enough, and while a simple infection would now probably kill you, you wouldn’t starve to death in the meantime.

Geoffrey Palmer, the man who had to sign off on all of this without necessarily getting any kind of say over its direction, knew at least enough to be sure that these milestones were about as significant in real terms as the paper being haggled over in Germany. People were dying regardless of the formal end of the bellum omnium in omnes. His brow furrowed as he stared blankly at the pattern on the curtains which could probably give an epileptic a fit. In omnes? Or was it contra omnes? How did that go? Either way, I daresay Hobbes has had quite the airing this year.

The Americans from the Roanoke and Merrill had been in contact with their comrades across the ditch, who’d put themselves under the command of the surviving American representatives present in Australia as the only representatives available of the civilian government. In turn, political expediency put them under Australian command, provided that Melbourne didn’t issue commands which clashed with the Americans’ last orders.

Not that there was any central authority with whose orders they might clash; the British claimed to have happened upon a continuity government in Colorado, but there were at least a dozen separate regional authorities trying to hold it together in various parts of the country, let alone the far-flung possessions and bases abroad. The American military overseas was largely left to its own devices and the last pre-Exchange orders received. Which gave New Zealand two more boats to play with in the coming –

The door clicked open and the PM jumped like a scalded cat as he span about to face the intruder, nearly snapping his cigarette in half between tensed figures. Palmer’s brows knitted together as irritation flashed across his features like lightning and David Lange stepped into his office.

“Afternoon, Geoffrey; didn’t know you were back on the ciggies. Thought you’d put the pipe to one side years ago.”

A wry, humourless smile met him in response as Palmer stubbed out the durry, just to prove that he could.

“If we aren’t dead men walking already from nuclear bombs and however much fallout has floated over from Australia, I scarcely think we have much to worry about a bit of tobacco.” Another momentary flash of emotion, closer to fear if the strained grimace was anything to go by. “Ah…don’t tell Margaret, alright? Now,” he said, all business again as he sat behind the desk, “you’ll be here for that report on Britain.” It wasn’t a question.

“Well, Commander McKirdy tells us the High Commissioner was in London, so he’s been working with Godwit – one of the consular staff who was in, ah, Oxford, I think, when the balloon went up, government or university business, I shouldn’t wonder. No time for a debate at the Union like the end of the world.”

“Be a little more specific for me when you say ‘consular staff’, David,” Palmer said, leaning forward. “I mean, that’s a broad term – I assume we had a fairly large staff in London, but “one of the staff” could be anyone from the charge d’affaires down to the girl who makes the tea; who exactly was gambling away our family silver?”

“McKirdy seemed confident in the bloke’s ability, apparently they’ve been calling him “Acting High Commissioner” since the original passed, so I’d assume either someone competent or someone who wasn’t going to argue with McKirdy’s own best discretion. Ah…as I recall, you did authorise him to cut a deal on our behalf if he didn’t think Godwit was up to snuff.”

“Yes,” Palmer said pointedly, shrugging off the blame for any possible consequences Lange had just thrown at him “and it appears that, whatever the case may be, it has paid off well either way. So, if the information I have is correct, we’re going to mount another joint mission with Australia, this time to Hong Kong.” A nod from Lange. “And I take it that this has been presented in a suitably diplomatic manner that it is not immediately apparent to Corsham that we’re mainly engaging in this so as to avoid the risk of a repeat of the Perth incident?”

“Well, given that the RN hasn’t wiped Melbourne off the face of the earth, I think we can pretty safely assume that Hawke was able to keep his thoughts to himself on that one.”

“Ye-es,” Palmer said at greater length, “I take it the Australians are still unhappy with the ransom, even having received them all in good shape?”

“Skinny, but in good shape, yes,” responded Lange absently as he fumbled for something in the recesses of his mind, “Hawke’s exact statements to his Cabinet haven’t been made clear to us, but I take it they’re undiplomatic, uncomplimentary, and untrusting.”

“Something along the lines of ‘if Corsham thinks they’re going to pull that trick twice, they’d best enjoy going hungry’, wasn’t it?”

“With one or two alterations for propriety’s sake, yeah. Fortunately, the British have been good little boys and let everyone who went over come back, so we’ll be playing with the same deck we sent over.”

“Good news, you mean? I thought we outlawed that some months ago.” Palmer’s joke fell flat, and he pressed on unabated. “In that case, was Frank able to get those briefing papers from the Navy on the logistics of the Hong Kong operation? How soon and how much can we send up there?”

“Simply put, the Navy isn’t shit-hot on the prospect of mounting two long-range missions within such a short time, especially considering the state of the waters north of the Equator, but between the Scylla and Charybdis of justifying their fuel allocation and the alternative of sending their boys ashore to sub in for the cops...”

“Yes?” Palmer’s face was impassive; he wasn’t going to get excited about anything short of the precise facts of the matter.

“Well, they’re inclined to go along with the Government’s order as soon as it arrives.”

“And when will that be, exactly?”

“Frank knows more than I do – I’m surprised you don’t, too – but the Waikato is being fitted for a sailing next month, and we’re using the American tanker for replenishment since the Aussies are still a month out from getting theirs back.”

“The Americans are content to go along with this?”

“Well, our own Crusoe in Tauranga wasn’t sold on it, but Towers pulled rank and told him to pull finger. Long story short, we’re going to pump them full of fuel oil and post a few Aussies and Kiwis aboard, as a sign of ANZUS cooperation, naturally.”

“Great,” said Palmer, massaging his temples with one hand.

“Stressful position, isn’t it?”

“If this is about the cigarettes, David, I’ve been taking one or two a day to help keep me going. The coffee’s absolutely frightful nowadays, and –”

“I meant in a broader sense; I can’t imagine how you keep going on with the job, Geoff.”

“Mm. Yes. Well, we all have to do our bit, I suppose. I can’t imagine any of us has been able to take much in the way of a break over the year.” Palmer shook his head. “It really has been all year, hasn’t it?”

“Yes, and you’ve been under more pressure than most. Christ, even Muldoon couldn’t cope.”

Ah. This game again.

“It helps that I’m not nearly as much of a micromanager as he is,” Geoffrey said as he spread his hands and looked Lange in the eyes, as easily as if he’d just commented upon Palmer’s tie. “Delegation, teamwork, being a figurehead: they all make the job so much easier.”

“Not entirely a figurehead, though; you’ve risen to the challenge admirably over the last few months, I must say.”

“Well, there are other challenges to come.” A questioning look from the Labour leader. The hook had been baited and swallowed. “You know, I’ve rather been thinking forwards, David. Sooner or later we will need to return to something approaching normality, and God knows I want it to be sooner; I am absolutely loath to use the unbridled powers I inherited from my predecessor.

“That means elections, which means addressing issues of how to democratically elect a House which represents the interests of the electorates of its Members.” He’d gone into lecture mode by now, and Lange could hear the capital letters thudding into place. “Now, I think it’s rather blatantly obvious that the status quo ante has become impractical in a number of spheres. First” the right index finger lain on top of its outstretched counterpart “the accuracy of voter rolls is now questionable thanks to the movement of hundreds of thousands of people and the death of I don’t even want to contemplate how many more. Second,” the index finger thudded onto the left middle finger “we are in something of a lurch due to the task of determining electoral redistricting based not only upon population changes and the likelihood that some electorates are no longer livable, but also the fact that many voters are unlikely to return to their previous homes and that we have no way of gauging that likelihood in any case. That brings us to the third point” the ring finger now “regarding the necessity of repairing and where need be re-establishing the infrastructure to hold an election. I’ve become convinced of the necessity of prolonging the term of this Government for another twenty-four months or so–”

“You want to stay in power for two years?” Palmer had to rein in a smile at the interruption, casting a pacifying wave of the hands and a look of honest horror.

“Dear God, David, no; I think we all know how little I want to be in this office as it stands. No, I want to postpone the resumption of the normal operation of Government – that is, preserve the Unity Government – until the results of the next Census come in. Which, if the Census is taken on schedule around March of ’86, gives us…oh, roughly June or July, if we want to account for the logistics of the matter in terms of collection, counting, collation, and compilation of results into updated voter rolls and pass them on to the Boundary Commission to see about updating the electorates to reflect shifts in population. I would consider November or so – the usual time of year for an election – of 1986 to be ambitious, though we’d likely have to delay that depending on the realities of the matter.”

“This…doesn’t sound like you’re stepping down until 1987, Geoffrey.”

“God no, no: this is the timeframe for the end of the State of Emergency. I’m more than happy – you know, I’d be positively ecstatic – to step down as soon as Cabinet establishes a schedule for that transition. What I have in mind to that effect is an interim election, to return Members to Parliament for the two or three years of that period and ensure that the Cabinet and Parliament have the legitimacy to back legislation passed during that time to ensure national survival for the remainder of the emergency period, but also set clear, concrete limits on the term of that Parliament. I’m…well, uneasy may be the diplomatic way to put how I feel about anybody governing by fiat of the EPA until they arbitrarily decide to revoke their powers; there’s far too much room for a commanding personality to come up with spurious reasons for prolonging their powers and position.”

“So what you’re talking about, essentially, is resigning later this year once we’ve got a popularly-elected PM, is that it?” A certain glint had come into Lange’s eyes. A lifetime ago, last year, Palmer had seen that glint at meetings about the prospects for the next election.

“Essentially, yes. My line of thinking is that electors vote for candidates representing the electorates where they were registered prior to February twenty-second. That accounts at least in the interim for those who have moved since then, and gives both parties the opportunity to hold onto what are – were, I should say – some safe seats.” A shrug. “Or, since most of them are Labour, we make a compromise with National to discount them since it gives us an advantage. Mind you, I can’t see why they should want to do such a thing, given that the alternative is having a lot of Labour-voting evacuees vote in provincial electorates. To say nothing of a few rather important Cabinet members suddenly bereft of democratic legitimacy.”

God help us, thought Lange, he’s been getting into the law journals again. What he said, however, was “So what’s your humble reward, Geoffrey? You said it yourself; you’ve got unbridled power, so what’s more appealing to you than that?”

“Besides getting out of this pantomime? Well, consider it, David: we have the chance to work with as close to a tabula rasa as we’ve ever had. The raw fabric of the constitutional framework has fallen into the capable hands of whomever should ascend to the top of the executive, to be woven into whatever shape they best see fit.”

Now it was Palmer who’d taken on a faraway look, and Lange realised that it wasn’t the law books he was thinking of, it was the history books. As his eyes came to rest upon a pile of unsigned orders and bills which had been swept through the slowly-regenerating bureaucracy, a further realisation twigged.

“Do you really think an election is practical in the next few months, though? Like you say, the constitutionality of it is all pretty malleable; surely it’d be simpler to hold off until we’ve ironed out all the creases.”

The PM cocked an eyebrow.

“Not keen on the poisoned chalice?” A harder edge tinged Palmer’s voice.

“Would you be, in my position?” Another grim smile came in response to that one. “Mind if I venture a different opinion, Geoff? I can see people understanding a delay in the election until things have returned to a more even keel. What I don’t think they’ll appreciate is being told all’s well, time to turn out and vote before we even know where half of you live. Look, I think we both understand that you’re here as a sinecure: you take the rap for the unpopular decisions. All of the Government’s decisions are made by committee these days, anyway; it’s not as if there’s a particularly partisan attitude anymore. Meanwhile, everyone else gears up for the next real election and tries to get themselves into the most advantageous position possible: the Nats try and wash off the war guilt – bet you anything they blame it all on Piggy – as we push you as proof Labour is capable of crisis leadership which represents all New Zealanders, some shit like that.”

“Then what’s preventing me from quitting tomorrow, David? You’ve said it yourself; I’m here as an amorphous non-entity who’ll rubber-stamp the decisions and be the fall guy for any of our short-term measures which don’t work out. Frankly, I’m just trying to pave the way for a legitimate successor to me to emerge so that I can get out of this damn office. I want to take it to Cabinet next week, make a case for at least an interim election, and see about getting put somewhere where I might actually be of some use.”

Silence fell as Lange pursed his lips in thought. Eventually, he spoke.

“Here’s a different deal. You go to Cabinet, present the first half of our discussion. I’ll get caucus behind you; that gives you majority support, more or less. At the same time, we let the Tories know that you’re revoking your membership of the Labour Party to present a non-partisan face to the government. I’m not sure how constitutional that is, but it was good enough for John Lee, it’s good enough for you.” David wetted his lips as he thought. “We then make it apparent to the Nats through back channels that you’re taking the fall for this government so that everybody wins in the next election and nobody gets tarred with the war guilt brush. We’ll hold off on attacking everyone post-Muldoon, they’ll hold off on attacking us for being your party. You weren’t a member until, what, ’79? It’s credible enough, yeah?”

Palmer blinked. “I suppose so. Burke would be proud. So what do I get to secure my compliance?”

“You said it yourself, Geoff, all that stuff about weaving the constitutional loom and shit like that. If you want to tinker with the constitution to preserve civil liberties going forward, and you’re happy to stay in place for the duration, caucus will back you.”

Palmer’s face was a picture of contemplation, hand stroking his chin thoughtfully.

“Let’s consider it. I’ll give you some time to get a feel for the atmosphere in the Party and see if we can get enough support for the idea. I’m worried about one or two on the fringes.”

“Well, I think the idea of an easy victory in two years – like you said, thousands of city-dwellers have been turfed into the wop-wops, and they won’t vote for the bastards who put them there whether we sling mud at the Nats or not – I think that that’ll sway a lot of them. There are also a lot of unpopular decisions to be made in the next few years, and better to be able to shift the blame onto the necessity for compromise than shouldering it ourselves. The right thing for the party and the country line up neatly.”

“Hopefully they do,” said Palmer, looking Lange dead in the eyes, “because I’m not sitting in this office for a moment longer than I have to unless you can get me that support.”

The conversation shifted briefly to exchanging more thoughts on the Hong Kong operation, and Lange stood to leave.

“By the way,” Palmer began as David turned to the door.

“Yes?”

“Happy birthday, David.”

Lange blinked, caught off guard.

“Ah…thank you, Geoff.”

Once Lange had left, Palmer leaned back in his chair and sighed, rubbing his eyes as a helpless smile broke out. That had been easier than he’d thought.

--- ..- .-. / ...- .. ... .. --- -. / - --- ..- -.-. .... . -.. / - .... . / ... -.- -.—
Where am I today?
And where have you been?

.- / .-.. . --. .- -.-. -.-- / ... --- / ..-. .- .-. / .-. . -- --- ...- . -.. / --- -. . / -.. .- -.-- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -... . / .. -- .--. .-. --- ...- . -..

From Ayson, R., The End of the World at the Ends of the Earth: WWIII Leadership in New Zealand in Wherry et al., The Men Who Sold the World (Columbia [1]: Phoenix Publications, 2014): 210-247.

After the event
He wept. He promised “a new start.”
I made no comment. What should I resent?

- T. S. Eliot, “The Waste Land”​

This chapter aims to present as honest an appraisal of New Zealand’s leadership during the Third World War as possible, and will try so far as possible to separate these controversial figures from their reputations. Although it became increasingly fashionable after the Sir Robert Muldoon’s death in 1987 to use him as a scapegoat for what happened during and after the war, the reality of the events from the transition to war through to the onset of reconstruction is far more nuanced.

At first blush, the events of early 1984 might seem to validate these accusations. New Zealand stood out prior to World War Three among the Western democracies for the centralisation of power in the executive, and for the relatively unfettered manner in which the Prime Minster was able to exercise those powers. Muldoon’s eight and a half years atop the machinery of government saw perhaps the most intense period of the amassment of powers by the executive, distinct from previous periods (as occurred following the Great Depression under the First Labour Government, or in the 1870s following the shift from a provincial to a unitary system of government) for the manner in which a single individual was able to completely dominate the decision-making process in practically every aspect of the New Zealand Government, those previous periods having shifted power to the collective of Cabinet rather than the individual personage of the Prime Minister.

All of this is a rather long-winded way of noting that Robert Muldoon was perhaps the most powerful head of government in the Western world in early 1984, when evaluated in terms of domestic institutional dominance. This was present years beforehand, with his control over economic policy responsible for the experiments in economic self-sufficiency comprising the “Think Big” programme of major energy infrastructure projects and the wage-price-freeze initiated in 1982. In the weeks and months preceding the Third World War these tendencies grew even stronger, with Muldoon’s insistence upon control over the minutiae of government becoming especially noticeable…

…also, of course, a point in his favour, as if his insistence on autarky was somehow a prescient exercise which foresaw the collapse of international trade resulting from World War Three. While an appealing narrative, particularly for his apologists, it is also wrong. While the idea that the war was inevitable is a popular one, particularly in realist analyses of international relations, this was not the motive undergirding Muldoon’s policies.

Instead, it is more appropriate to connect this to his almost pathological need to control what was happening, with his policies acting to mitigate variables beyond his control…

…addition to internal policies which these economic, social, and regulatory attitudes comprised, he also exerted considerable control over foreign policy, his attitude towards Britain clearly demonstrated by the quid pro quo wherein New Zealand implicitly supported its 1982 defence of the Malvinas/Falklands by sending New Zealand Navy vessels to patrol the Persian Gulf and free up Royal Navy vessels, reflecting Wellington’s continued self-identification with its old…

It is a fiction, however – a dangerous fiction, I might add – to offload all the blame onto those who are too dead to argue in their own defence. Despite three decades of careful obfuscation by those in charge during the months leading to and immediately following the Exchange, all those who took part in the decision-making processes of the Government of the day up to February 22, 1984 are complicit in what New Zealand did on the international stage. Moral support for Britain, the United States, and New Zealand’s other partners was forthcoming from both sides of Parliament, reflecting a deeper societal connection with Europe, to a shocking extent if one is accustomed to the present-day focus on the Asia-Pacific and the Indian and southern Chinese relationships…

…as the Labour-led Unity Government continued with the task of reconstruction, it also behoved the Lange Cabinet to shore up their rhetoric of a return to normalcy, as the end of the State of Emergency called by Muldoon and perpetuated by Palmer provided both a natural point of difference between the two governments and heralded a return to the partisanship which had characterised the pre-war era.

Colin James has written of “a stillborn revolution” accompanying the generation of leaders who succeeded Muldoon. I respectfully disagree with this opinion; while there was indeed a desire for radical change in that generation, I advance the argument that this revolution was made manifest in other ways.

Social change, a distant priority of most governments in countries hit by the Exchange, was both accelerated by the uprooting of the pre-war order and used by Lange and his contemporaries as a vehicle to reorganise the very shape of New Zealand society. A Human Rights Bill was drafted by Geoffrey Palmer and passed in early 1986 with provisions which included race relations legislation and the quiet decriminalisation of homosexuality. These reforms were not only intended to advance the provisions of Labour’s pre-war manifesto and thereby secure votes in the upcoming election, but to make clear that the government would not seek to use the extensive powers it had amassed to intervene in the private lives of citizens. This was particularly important because New Zealanders, even if not to the extent of Americans or British, often had little else to hold dear: identity and individuality, for all that pragmatists held that these were obstacles to orderly reconstruction in the lean and hungry years ahead, were an intangible commodity that gave citizens a sense of meaning in the day-to-day.

That is not to claim that the strides made in human rights by New Zealand were somehow a panacea for the very real crisis gripping the country, but neither is it to argue that they were simply a political expedient designed to…

...Ohakea had been the final blow. At that moment Muldoon was cut utterly adrift; the country and the Party to which he had dedicated his entire adult life had decided that they were done with him. He retreated abruptly into a complete obscurity none could have imagined even a year before, spending his time at Vogel House after the central government relocated to Christchurch and the Prime Ministerial residence followed. He gave precisely one interview, in mid-1985, and offered no public comment upon the progress of the Unity Government or the 1986 Election, the only windows into his thoughts coming from the recollections of those close to him and those of his private papers and diaries which his family have since released. It is likely that more useful insights will come with the release of the bulk of his writings in 2034 in accordance with his will, but for the time being we are left with a bleak picture.

In contrast, his adversary Lange has entered the history books as the upbeat leader who rolled up his sleeves and helped pull a nation from its darkest hour into the bright dawn of the postwar era, the avuncular face of reconstruction who came to outshine the de jure Prime Minister until he was duly elected in 1986. Muldoon’s death shortly after was a bitter, if apt, piece of punctuation heralding the break between the short- and long-term phases of Reconstruction....

.. -- -- --- .-. - .- .-.. .. ... - ... / .-- .. - .... / .--. --- .. -. - ... / - --- / .--. .-. --- ...- . ---... / .. / .--. ..- - / -- -.-- / - .-. ..- ... - / .. -. / -.-- --- ..-

Well, I don’t wanna see you around here
But I guess that’s all gone
Now it's all gone…

[1] Formerly Walla Walla, Washington; renamed post-Exchange as interim national capital upon the restoration of federal communications and a semblance of central authority. All credit to Chipperback, as per his Land of Flatwater spinoff.

There was no pageantry, no speeches, and hardly any acknowledgement that they’d spent two months on the other side of the world busting their arses in an irradiated hellscape to help the Poms shoot their own people.

Since all of the British survivors have been 'busting their arses' I guess they don't think that makes the Kiwis particularly special. July 1984 is a bit too close to The Exchange for the UK to get too excited about anything, especially a group departing.

However I would imagine that by 2017 there will be annual commemorations of the arrival and departure of the New Zealand contingent. Complete with flag waving and speeches.

Since all of the British survivors have been 'busting their arses' I guess they don't think that makes the Kiwis particularly special. July 1984 is a bit too close to The Exchange for the UK to get too excited about anything, especially a group departing.

However I would imagine that by 2017 there will be annual commemorations of the arrival and departure of the New Zealand contingent. Complete with flag waving and speeches.

Absolutely. The Lance Corporal is rather too close to the matter to appreciate that yet, however.

That corporal could take his mind off things by being the ship's lookout from the mast. He could be their Eye in the Sky.

That corporal could take his mind off things by being the ship's lookout from the mast. He could be their Eye in the Sky.

Leaving aside the fact that there's radar for the ship to navigate by, I feel like putting a man in his mental state several dozen feet in the air is only ever going to end messily.

God knows there's already been plenty of people ITTL taking the voluntary way out.

The next - the final, come to think of it - update's on the way. I'll try to have it out before the election, but we know by now what my promises are worth :rolleyes:

XXII. Last Post
XXII: Last Post

Propaganda rules
When heads and hearts are forced…

.. / .-- .- - -.-. .... . -.. / - .... . / -- .. --. .... - -.-- / ... -.- -.-- .-.. .. -. . / ..-. .- .-.. .-..
Main Trunk Line, south of Auckland
September 15, 1984

The train rattled and ker-thunked its ponderous way through the satellite towns of what had been Auckland’s commuter belt. Grace hadn’t been sure she even wanted to come back when the call came down the line from Hamilton, but the jealousy in Mel’s eyes had been enough to convince her that refusing might not be the best move. At least the trip would give her the chance to get further from the farm than the big smoke of Morrinsville, though beyond that she had no idea what to expect.

To be honest, it was hard to know what to expect from a hometown that had been nuked.

Four hours. They’d opened the exclusion zone for “displaced persons” (not refugees, not in New Zealand; that would be demoralising) for four hours to assess the damage to their properties and either determine whether they intended to return from their current places of residence or, if the damage was beyond their means to repair or they simply wished to forfeit the rights to their land, recover some of their belongings and begin the process of setting those affairs in order. They had until 2pm to get to the checkpoint at the Army food store at Sylvia Park, which meant catching the train from Hamilton at 10am, which meant being in Morrinsville to catch the Civil Defence bus from Tauranga at 8:45, which meant borrowing the half-rusted pushbike from the farm and cycling for an hour and a half through Waihou and Waitoa to get to the stop in time, which meant waking up at 5:30 to get dressed, help cook breakfast for the evacuee labourers, and get her documents and gear ready to be out the door at quarter past seven just in case a delay happened on the way. She’d slept in fits and starts on the buses and train, interrupted by other people talking, sudden starts and stops at nameless towns and street corners, and the pangs from her belly as anxiety tied new knots in the knots in her guts.

So no, Grace wasn’t enjoying her day. The sole mercy was that the storm which had blown in on Tuesday had finally dried out last night, so none of this took place in the rain. So to balance out this luck, there was a bloody delay at the checkpoint because some stupid bastard had forgotten his identification documents. He wasted ten minutes of his and everyone else’s time making excuses to the stone-faced policeman at the guard post, looking desperately to the unsympathetic crowd for support, and eventually sat in defeat with his face in his hands off to the side. Grace might have felt some sympathy for his wasted trip, but she found it very difficult these days to empathise with someone for being stupid.

They finally got sorted into fourteen groups of twenty (and one group of nineteen) in front of a sign shouting to the world in block letters that Looters Will Be Shot, were assigned two armed soldiers each, and made their way off in awkward walking buses along the footpath, bruised black-and-grey where splotches of water hung about drying slowly in the humid afternoon.

It took three-quarters of an hour for Grace’s closely-supervised group to go past Hamlin Park, hang a left and sign off half the group to check their homes before turning right and signing off the other half. As the soldier – a weekend warrior highschool dropout judging by the baby-smooth cheeks and blackhead-speckled neck – patrolled the street to make sure nobody went about coveting their neighbours’ goods, Grace got her first look at the house since February.

Pretty much all of the windows were gone, blown out by the blast or by storms in the last…Jesus, had it already been six months? The roof and frame had held, though, which was more than could be said for a couple of the houses she’d passed on the way up here. The door was closed; apparently the police and army had been through the whole subdivision to remove bodies, clear squatters (sometimes, if a fight broke out, points one and two became the same), and mark properties before the evacuees came back. Grace entered through the kitchen, everything as it’d been the last time she’d seen it. Mould speckled the lacy curtains, and a film of dust and shattered glass covered most of the floor.

Most of the floor; an uneven trail was discernible where the recovery teams had come in, had a look, and dragged out…that.

Following the trail to the hallway, a shaft of light shone from an open door and, as a thought occurred to Grace, her spine stiffened and her legs froze mid-step as the stink of bleach and decay hit her nostrils. When did my mouth get so dry? Shit. Shitting fucking shit on a shit. She took a moment to close her eyes and breathe deeply for a bit, placing a clammy hand on her chest to try and feel her heartbeat and slow it down. When she’d calmed down enough to feel the feeling come back to her legs, Grace backed into the kitchen, still with her eyes closed, and blinked down at the lino until she’d gathered herself a bit. Okay, how do we get around that shit again? Okay, okay, let’s just…okay. Yeah, that might do.

Squeezing her eyes shut until she saw white specks, Grace felt her way along the wall until she felt the door frame. Humming half-remembered verses of a song from the summer to keep her mind focused on something else she reached cautiously into the ether, coming across no resistance. A few more seconds of blind groping at the air before the sudden chill of the door handle, which she pulled towards her until the door shut. A few more paces before she opened her eyes, leaving behind the bathroom and the nightmare inside. She didn’t notice her hands balled into shaking fists until she came to the lounge and reached up instinctively to hit the light switch, shaking her head to clear it and clenching and unclenching her fingers to banish the thoughts. No power anyway. Is there? An exploratory click-click of the big rectangular rocker didn’t do anything, so looked like they’d cut the lights.

As she looked around the room shrouded in dust Grace shivered and drew her jacket across her as a chill began spreading through her chest, spearing her heart as she stood dumbly in the lounge staring at the dead TV. The first breaths exploded out like she’d been thrown into ice water, Grace leaning against the wall for support as her eyes lost focus and her heart thundered.

She didn’t know how long she was there, white knuckles and clawing fingers curled around the doorframe as her breath shuddered back to normal and scenes of the last six months raced through her mind. It was familiar and unfamiliar it’s wrong it’s wrong it’s wrong like the weird alien sense you got when coming home after camp wrong wrong wrong and your brain had only just gotten used to the layout of the dormitory, but was just waiting to dust off the memory of what things were meant to be like wrong wrong wrongwrongwronghave to leave get out get out.

After what might have been five minutes or five hours she found herself in her bedroom, where she started to look through the clothes, shoes, and books scattered across the floor where she’d left them when frantically stuffing undies and shirts into a bag while the world screamed to a halt outside. What was left was unappealingly musty and damp; when she finished bundling things into her duffel it was with a compulsion to wash her hands, but wiping them on her sheets was a workable second. Pursing her lips in thought, she started looking through the drawers, humming half-remembered fragments of songs from before the war. A watch, a clock radio, some bracelets went into the bag before she seated herself on the bed to think of what else was left.

A sigh filled the heavy, musty air, stirring the drifting dust into spiralling patterns. How am I meant to rebuild anything here? Slinging the duffel bag over her shoulder, Grace moved into the lounge to see if there was anything worth keeping, her brain turning over as she picked gingerly through the bookcases and drawers to look for anything worth having. Theoretically, the house was hers, as was everything in it. It doesn’t matter, she thought as a couple of damp banknotes, ones, twos, and even a rogue ten, were peeled from the old hiding place. None of it matters, fuck it. No point in staying.

Outside, the afternoon was quickly melting into darkness, the silhouettes of houses and trees stretching north towards the low, crouching hump of Mount Wellington proper, standing out in perfect blackness against the indigo blue of the sky, where the last orange streaks of sunset dipped towards the west.

The air was heavy and damp with a half-serious promise of thunder later on, proper Auckland air she hadn’t realised she’d missed until she’d had to return to it, the aroma of the neighbours’ magnolia lazily perfuming the footpath.

Despite the fading warmth Grace shivered as she looked out on the row of houses where nobody and nothing lived, a street lined with weatherboard tombstones. A handful of streetlights, maybe every tenth or twentieth one, had been replaced along Barrack Road as a halfhearted concession to reconstruction and been lit, twinkling like sodium-vapour fireflies in the purple-blue. Behind her, the dying sunlight glinted off the very top of the high-voltage transmission pylons which marched east to west, a couple of dead wires hanging limply in the evening calm. It took a while to register the soldier trying to catch her eye until he was practically in front of her.

“Time’s up, miss. Got everything you needed? Gotta head back to the station.”

Grace nodded, and said something about joining the group around him. They’d made it to the corner when the other soldier shouted something Grace couldn’t make out at the Territorial, whose face went sheet-white.

“Jesus Christ, not another one,” he snapped, sprinting towards where his comrade stood outside a house with an open door. The returnees milled uneasily for a while as evening came on in full, and another four soldiers came jogging around the corner from Sylvia Park, two passing them to head for the house while the other pair shepherded them back towards the depot.

The last man from their original group of twenty never did come back.

Nothing left to go back to. Nothing left to hold her back. Nothing to do but make the most of it. The future was a blank slate, with all the excitement and terror that held.

For now, she was left with simmering anxiety and confusion as she walked south into the dawning night with scraps of her life slung over one shoulder and twenty-seven dollars in her pocket. It wasn’t a particularly consoling consolation prize, but at least Grace was alive to complain about it.

What more could you really ask for?

.. / ... .- .-- / - .... . / .-. ..- .. -. ... / .- - / -- -.-- / ..-. . . –

We’re safely moving with the flow
I’m marching with patriotic friends…

-.. .- -.-- / .- ..-. - . .-. / -.. .- -.-- / .. - / .-. . .- .--. .--. . .- .-. ...
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty
September 16, 1984

Spring was in the air, a warm nor’wester stirring the bark on the piles of logs at the dockside and whipping up the smell of damp wood and diesel fuel, salt spray and bird shit. And, for the first time in months, the Corporal (for he had been given a pat on the head and told “good boy” in return for everything he’d been dragged through in the last few months) was without orders or a mile-long to-do list.

He’d done a good job, so far, of not crying whenever he thought about Brighton. He’d done pretty well at convincing himself it had never happened, though the scene replayed itself every time he fell asleep. Like it hadn’t been bad enough the first time it happened.

After England, the company had spent another six weeks in the ship, getting progressively more sick of each other’s stinking feet as they and the Corporal’s stomach pitched and rolled from Portsmouth to Ascension to Reunion to Melbourne, the Corporal leaving plenty more down the side of the ship to feed the gulls along the way.

Off the boats, in the rain. Parade for the locals, in the rain. Stand for far too damn long listening to speeches about the Anzac Spirit, in the rain. Twelve-hour pass, in the rain. Back on the boats, in the rain.

Six days across the Tasman, vomit rising to gale-force, dying down as they rounded Cape Reinga. Off the boat, another parade, and more speeches before being bundled into some rooms better-upholstered than the ones in Geraldton for more debriefing to wring out those last precious drops of intel.

“Now, your CO made it clear that there had been some issues with the deployment. I think you agree it wouldn’t be in the best interests of the nation for these sorts of little incidents to be put in the record where they might be misunderstood by civilians in a few years, wouldn’t you?” A marker hovered over the page as yellow eyes brooking no dissent bore into him. “Here, for instance, there seems to be a little typo. Says you discharged your rifle at a civilian.” The hollow man sucked air through his teeth, scything through the offending words. “Clumsy writing, that. I’m quite sure the Major meant to say ‘an insurgent attempting to steal food from a communal store was dispatched’ ” pause for thought with the scratching of a pencil in the margin filling the silence “ ‘dispatched thanks to the quick actions of Corporal X, who anticipated and prevented a potential breakdown in civil order.’ Yes. I think that puts things much more clearly for the history books, don’t you?”

Everyone was worn to the bone and ready to snap at one another at the slightest provocation, and that was perhaps why the Army looked like it was in no rush to get them back to Trentham. Officially, of course, the explanation was that it had to wait until they had transport ready, which thanks to the Army’s usual ruthless efficiency could be anytime between tomorrow and Christmas.

For now, they were billeted in a hotel which just so happened to be within earshot of the cop shop, with the pleasures of real beds and real food which went with it. In theory, there wasn’t much a soldier could complain about after a four-month deployment to hell and back. Fresh linen, clean undies, hot showers, and access to actual alcohol at the hotel bar.

And so, with the honour of the Army riding on it, the men of the Company gritted their teeth and got down to complaining about living the life of Reilly.

“Jesus, I think I ate a cat in England better than that steak.”

“I think the steak was that cat from England.”

“Don’t even joke about that shit, man.”

“Speaking of; Tangaroa, did you just shit yourself?”

“It’s the cauliflower cheese, Corporal.”

“Is that what it was?”

“Jesus, give ‘em another stripe and they all of a sudden think they can blame their farts on any other bastard.”

“What was that, Scott?”

“You reckon Hone’s bad now, sir, you should see him after lights out.”

“Or smell him.”

“Or hear you, Zitnik, you toss yourself like a fifth-former.”

“I do not!”

“Oh, for Christ’s sakes, Zitnik, learn to take –”

“Hey, mind yourself around Killer, mate; he’ll have you up against the wall.”

“Ah, only if I try cutting in front of him in the bread line.”

The Corporal stopped mid-comment at those last couple sentences, the words cooling around his mouthful of mashed potatoes. Feeling the eyes of the table on him as he glanced around to see who’d brought the incident back up, he forced out a smile and a braying laugh to stuff the genie back in the bottle. After a moment of tension, the others slowly lowered their gazes and ate in uncomfortable silence. The Corporal decided to try and break the tension.

“Hey, better be careful, Scott, or I’ll shoot you, too.” No good. His voice sounded tinny in his ears even as he spoke. Christ, that was stupid. Why did I even say that? He wolfed down the rest of his food (all of it; complain all he wanted, it was still the best he’d eaten in months) and left.

This must be why people let themselves burn out, the Corporal reckoned; resting just gave you time to think, and since there was a lot of work to distract yourself with these days, there were endless opportunities to leave yourself too tired to waste time worrying about what might have happened or who you might have shot in the back of the head back of the head right between the eyebrows brains blown out his forehead smashed on the floor like a dropped pie ages ago. After all, he had two stripes now, and that meant leading. Couldn’t lead if you were going crazy.

That little moment after waking up and not knowing who or where you were was a nice holiday from it, but once that passed it was a matter of getting up quickly. The less you lay in bed, the less time you gave yourself to dwell on things and the easier it was to stop your brain from remembering what it had just been dreaming about. It also let you feel productive, like you were doing something and going somewhere.

All the time in the world, and not a lot to do with it. First day back, on the piss; second day, rolling in hungover misery; days three and four, repeat one and two; day five, shaping up to be the same again. When he went out and drank and laughed and joked and sang and fought, for a little while nothing mattered and he was everyone’s friend and there was something to do that took him away from himself and the hell of having a memory.

For tonight, then, he’d go out and have another drink and maybe a root. Blame his departure from the table on the cooking, joke about Tangaroa’s bowels, and everything would be hunky-dory. Besides, sooner or later the Army would catch up with the company and have them shipped back to Wellington, where there’d be all the work in the world to do.

Until then, sure, he knew that something was wrong and that he had to do something, so what better to do than find something to do. So long as he kept himself busy, it’d all sort itself out fine.

--. .... --- ... - ... / .- .--. .--. . .- .-. / .- -. -.. / ..-. .- -.. . / .- .-- .- -.--

We’re told of the pride we all should feel
We’re marching towards a sticky end…

.- / .... --- ..- ... . / ... --- -- . .-- .... . .-. . --..-- / --- -. / ..-. --- .-. . .. --. -. / ... --- .. .-..

Portsmouth, England
September 19, 1984

Wednesday. Thirty weeks since the Exchange. Summer had come late and was leaving early, though it was still a bit warmer than Christchurch had been a week ago. A soft sou’wester blew, carrying respite from the ghost of the summer heat that haunted David Lange in his natty suit.

He’d made it, as he’d expected. He’d also suspected, and continued to suspect, that he was being sent off to the other side of the world so Geoffrey could declare whatever fait accompli he pleased to the Emergency Cabinet without interference from the head of its largest party, and had seen little to confront that suspicion.

What did he see? A national trauma which made New Zealand’s gut-punch look like a love tap. There had been some disturbingly frank after-action reports from Transit of Venus on the state of affairs up here which had provoked some soul-searching conversations (“are we meant to be grateful human life is so worthless there,” he’d asked before he left, “that a New Zealander killing a civilian doesn’t matter?”), but even those bleak descriptions had apparently been sanitised for domestic consumption. Admittedly, he hadn’t actually been outside Portsmouth itself – foreign dignitaries were firmly corralled within the town, right where H.M. Government could keep tabs on them – but the man next to him in the car to the Cathedral had.

Godwit – well, he was named Gerald Turner, but after you referred to someone on the other side of the globe in the abstract and by a code for several months, habits tended to form – wasn’t the fellow David had expected to meet. Bill Young had been exactly what he’d’ve expected: a doddery Tory who lost his seat in ’81 and got a lovely bauble to entertain him into his dotage. Godwit – Gerry – was somewhere in his early thirties, had an MA from Waikato, and therefore perhaps inevitably stood decidedly on the left wing (“I finally have the Government I voted for, and all it took was the end of the world” he’d joked upon meeting the Labour leader). How the hell he’d got into the foreign service was quite past David, but he was refreshingly honest in the way of someone who’d seen and done too much to care about things like career or reputation.

“Absolutely rooted,” Gerry confided over a drink in David’s hotel room, “and no two ways about it. I met the heads of mission we sent over, and it sounds like they were shocked at how the Poms manage to get by with so little.” Sensing the Minister’s awkwardness, Turner waved a hand dismissively. “Oh, don’t worry: we’re definitely being bugged. Not like there’s anything we’ll say the Poms don’t already know. You’re leaving the country in a week, anyway, which is hardly time to get in trouble with all the other much more important people there are to listen in on first, and as for me, well, what are they gonna do to me? Cut off my rations?” He said this looking like a sharply-dressed scarecrow; his cheekbones betrayed a larger man who’d gone to bed without supper for a long, long time, and the dark bags beneath his eyes were lit by a devilishly amused glimmer. “Ooh, maybe I’ll disappear!” A hand shimmied ostentatiously before him. “Nasty workplace accident, fall under a filing cabinet that leaves a bruise like a garrotte.”

“I’m sure there’s something in the Accident Compensation Act 1973 about that one, but it might’ve been overruled by Muldoon precious bloody Emergency Powers Act.”

The grim smile faded from Gerry’s face.

“I don’t think you’ve much to complain about there. What happened to Piggy, anyway? Heart finally give out?” The note of vicious hope stuck through the flat tone like a tack in a pillowcase.

“Not by the time I’d left. Muldoon” he cast about for the words “Muldoon cracked. He’d already lost his grip, we knew that years ago, but he’d dashed himself against the rocks trying to hold everything together. It’s more than any one man can do.”

“You sound sorry for him.” Gerry tried to make it sound like an accusation and failed, the sadness creeping in despite himself.

“It’s hard not to be, once you’ve seen it in person. His eyes, Gerry, his eyes. They were – it’s that feeling of having failed at something, magnified a hundredfold. Worse, that beady little evil light, you know the one; that had gone out. He’s just…” Lange spread his hands.

“Is he still in Parliament? Nope, wait, stupid question; he wouldn’t have stepped back unless he were incapable.”

“Not in the sense of being completely away with the fairies, but word has it he’s making a pretty good go of drinking himself to death.”

“I wouldn’t have thought there was enough alcohol left in the country for that project. He has the liver of a concrete hippopotamus.”

“I do feel bad for the old tartar, you know. He had to go, and it’s for the best that the country forget who dragged us into the war, so we can just get on with rebuilding without one half of the country blaming the other. Worse yet because, between you and me, it’s only his ridiculous Think Big nonsense that has the country in as good a shape as it’s in.” A pause for thought. “How about you? Have you had the pleasure of the Prime Minister’s company?”

“Little Willie? Not directly, though I’ve heard bits and pieces. If you thought the Tories were bastards before, try placing them under a megaton of pressure and see what kind of diamonds you get from that lump of coal. No, that’s unfair,” he allowed, raising a hand as the other cradled his forehead “they’ve had their share of hard decisions, too. But it’s a shit working with people to fix a crisis you know they helped create.”

“Well, isn’t that just politics. But what else can we do?”

Neither of them had any good answers there.

Portsmouth wasn’t shabby even by Christchurch standards; the place had been scrubbed down with toothbrushes for the Coronation, the British having managed by some witchcraft to dredge up enough bunting to string along the route from Southsea Castle to the Anglican Cathedral, a mile or so of mostly flat, open parkland with plenty of room for crowds to come and gawp at their future King.

And by God had they come. Portsmouth wasn’t a big place, only about the size of Manukau, yet it was packed to the gunwales with spectators: about a hundred thousand, they reckoned, and that was with private transport and time off work still alien concepts. Every one of them had a deep and existential tiredness etched into their eyes and was, by and large, stick-thin. Lange wasn’t the fattest man in town, but he had to be close to it.

For today, though, none of that mattered. For the first time in months, there was hope and joy and something to look forward to.

The Cathedral was a wedding cake turned outside-in, all white pillars and gilt facings and big plain windows to let in the weakly-shining sun, nothing like the looming, gothic Westminster Abbey nobody would ever again see outside photographs. For the sake of posterity and the cameras, richly-adorned chairs lined the aisles; back from these, the guests were seated in folding chairs which wouldn’t have gone out of place in an Otorohanga church hall. As the place filled with guests Lionel, David’s opposite number from across the ditch who’d sat next to him on the plane up, leaned over with a guilty squeak to murmur a comment about the royal regalia.

“You have to wonder at the planning, don’t you?” he finished.

David nodded agreement, lapsing into thought on that one. How far ahead had they planned for this? There was something chilling about how, for all promises and oaths and vows made to not fire the last shot, they’d had such carefully-laid plans to protect baubles like this, just in case they were lying. How else did you whistle up a choir and all the fancy togs just like that?

Front and centre was the ancient wooden chair, intricately-carved but far less gaudy than David had expected, standing at the foot of the altar; he shared a chuckle with Lionel when one of them said something about a Coronation Seat. Beneath the chair – which was, depending on whether Gerry was right, either the real McCoy from the thirteenth century or something knocked up last week and splashed with deck stain – sat a heavy, lead-lined box. This was quite definitely a recent addition, constructed for a price which could only be considered insane these days to house the still-irradiated Stone of Scone, retrieved from the heart of dead London at a similar premium.

Lange – and half the rest of the audience – gave a start when the trumpets blasted like air-raid sirens as bishops filed in, before the King-to-be entered with an abridged escort of pages to help cart the trailing robes of state. The choir sang out as Charles-cum-George passed them, seating himself on the Chair of Estate to the right of the maybe-or-maybe-not-King Edward’s Chair, before the Bible, paten and chalice were placed on the altar and the King stood again to turn and face east, as Archbishop Runcie of Canterbury began to speak.

“Sirs, I present unto you King George, your undoubted King: wherefore all you who are come this day to do your homage and service, are you willing to do the same?”

“God save King George,” came the reply, setting off the trumpets again. The King made his way back to the Chair of Estate, where the Archbishop challenged him.

“Sir, is your Majesty willing to take the Oath?”

“I am willing.” For the first time, the monarch’s voice rang clearly through the Cathedral.

“Will you solemnly promise and swear to govern the peoples of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand…”

The rest of the service passed in a blur of gold and ermine. The King returned to his seat, an interminable communion preceded the anointing in King Edward’s Chair, and the heavy gold coronation robe was finally draped across the King’s shoulders.

More sacred yammering and the crown was finally came the aisle on a velvet pillow and lifted reverently by the Archbishop, who turned with ponderous precision to place it on Charles’ head.

“God save the King,” the audience intoned as horns rang out, “Long live the King.”

Outside, thunder roared across the harbour as the ships present fired a royal salute. Most didn’t have the ammunition to spare for a full twenty-one rounds, let alone the additional twenty-one in memory of London, but the armourers of Portsmouth had done a good job of scrounging sufficient supplies to meet protocol. Some things were too important to let the end of the world get in the way.

That didn’t keep the newborn prince from wailing in Queen Di’s arms, though; from the moment the first shot rang out to the time the procession left the cathedral, his cries were audible in the gaps in the rest of the long, long service. At least it kept the audience awake; while the Archbishop’s drone hadn’t quite sent him to sleep, it had lulled a jetlagged David into half-consciousness in the warm press of bodies.

After a lifetime, the royals made their way out and the parade around Portsmouth began, the Sovereign riding in an open-topped car flanked with very serious-looking and very well-armed men.

Following them, David made his way with the crowd into the bright day, and a new age.

.. ... / - .... .. ... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / --. --- .- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / ..-. .. -. .- .-.. / -. . . -.. ..--..

A surge of national pride!
Is welling up inside…

From Hobson, Z. “Conclusion,” in World War Terminus: The End of the World at the End of the World. Hamilton: Waikato University Press, 2024.

We’ve spent forty years recovering from the tragedies of 1984. As we’ve seen, some never recovered. Indeed, it’s possible that nobody has recovered properly; anybody who can live through the end of the world without noticing it is probably too far gone to be worth considering in any case.

But most of us have moved on, in our own ways. The old scars remain, though they’re fading year by year. We still have the annual silences and the days off – February is still one long state holiday – and the collective expression of competitive mourning. And through the ashes, new shoots have grown to the point where they eclipse the mourning generation. The generation born into the world left after the bombs fell are now seeing their own children off to university or even becoming grandparents; schoolchildren now ask why we observe the annual silence and despair during the height of summer. They shake their heads in bemusement at our descriptions of a pre-war world where you could go overseas to visit the ancient cities of New York, Paris, or London with little more than a few forms and calls to the Bank, the armed forces weren’t omnipresent, and you could blast down the highway in a gas-guzzling V8 on a whim without having to live on rice and potatoes for a fortnight afterward to cover the expense of fuel.

Now, a cavalcade of names and dates and figures and opinions greet the reader of the history books, cold and sterile to those of us who saw and did it. The story is broadly agreed upon: the devil is in the detail. That dark and uncanny warm winter of 1984 gave way in its own time to spring, and then to the long hot summer of ’85. As millions around the world fought and toiled and died in unknown wars and forgotten famines and unmarked ditches, New Zealand began to rebuild, setting aside what it dismissed as self-indulgent navel-gazing in favour of the hammer and shovel.

Those who had fled Wellington and Auckland returned home, or settled where they’d stopped. Auckland was the first to return, the dedication of Hundertwasser’s koru-derived Rebirth statue at the 1990 sesquicentennial marking the beginning of the Reconstruction period. Slowly, the buildings began to rise again, the tide of destruction receding from the Red Line halfway down Dominion Road towards Ground Zero; it is a rite of passage for many secondary school students to visit the Peace Park in old Devonport, crossing the renovated Harbour Bridge with its sweeping vistas of a city reclaiming its position as our greatest city.

Lacking the same drive, due in no small part to the exilic Parliament putting down roots in Christchurch and the lack of Auckland’s vast and influential émigré constituency, Wellington has taken infinitely longer; its recovery further hampered by fears of irradiated soil, I won’t live to see it return to its former vibrancy.

Throughout all this, the gentlemen’s agreement between the politicians gradually fell apart, as the 1986 election gave way to that of 1989, and partisanship returned in an initially stunted version to our political landscape. By now, one can hardly tell there was ever a Unity Government.

But then, that’s the way of things. Time marches on, and we’re all taken along for the wild ride of history whether we wish to go or not. Whether clinging to the saddle or dragged along behind the thundering hooves of events, we’re riding into the sunset.

For those of us who lived through the black days of 1984, a year in which all were dragged kicking and screaming through the mud and blood and shit, it is jarring to see the most important experiences of our lives relegated to the history books. Our time is passing. Whether it’s good or bad, it’s what is so; no historian can deny that.

What we survivors of World War Three are tasked with, then, is ensuring that that inevitability is a force for the good. We must tell our children of the significance of those silent hours on sunlit days, make understood to them the realities of our suffering and hardship, so that they may never wish to participate in the kind of wholesale slaughter we stumbled into.

On a more human note, we must make sure that those who passed before us do not pass unremembered. Three hundred thousand human lives were extinguished in this country alone in that great global exsanguination, a drop in a bucket of blood shed by the entire world. It is vital to our humanity that we remember those lives not as statistics, but as people who lived alongside us and contributed, each in their own way, to these islands we call home.

Yet every one of them was a story, telling of a life lived and lost. If each one of us can remember even a part of one of them, their deaths will not have been completely meaningless. What’s more, it’s vital to remember these stories because with our collective memory doing its best to repress the memory of the absolute worst of man’s inhumanity to man, we must fill the void left over with something or else risk blanking it out altogether and set ourselves up for a repeat performance…

…that we’ll never recover what was lost in 1984. It is a task for academics and authors better than myself to speculate on what might have been if the war hadn’t happened, or if it was in fact inevitable. All the rest of us can do is get along with the business of getting along, and try our best to build a world better than the one we inherited – or, in the case of we truly old folks who were already adults when the bombs fell, the one we made first time round. New Zealand survived the end of the world, and we shouldn’t understate that. It now falls to us to make it a country worth the fight we put up for it, for the sake of both the living and the dead.

-. --- / -.-. .-. . .- - ..- .-. . / ... - .. .-. ... --..-- / - .... .. ... / .. ... / - .... . / .-.. .- ... - / .-- .- .-.
We're learning, we're learning!
We're learning to like ourselves again...

1200px-Redwing_Apache.jpg

THE END

Last edited:
But it’s a shit working with people to fix a crisis you know they helped create.”

Wow, that's a little harsh. It wasn't as if the NATO governments were left much wiggle room by the Soviets. IIRC from the original story it was a choice between surrender or fight. Neither being great options. However from the Kiwi perspective it might well look as described.

A great end to a great story. Well done.

Wow, that's a little harsh. It wasn't as if the NATO governments were left much wiggle room by the Soviets. IIRC from the original story it was a choice between surrender or fight. Neither being great options. However from the Kiwi perspective it might well look as described.

It's a lot bit harsh, I agree. Though it bears mention that neither speaker is what one would call unbiased. One is trying to navigate a crisis to political advantage, while the other has spent seven months doing things well outside the usual ambit of a Foreign Affairs staffer (much like the Constable in the original, Gerry is a young man in way over his head. He's also gone a slight bit mad, as might have come across in the chapter).

A great end to a great story. Well done.
Thank you - I'm my own harshest critic, so can only think of ways I need to put this TL through substantial rewrites for me to be happy with it - it's very gratifying to know it's not a bad read all the same.

Good ending, Tsar! :)

Recovery is still an ongoing task in NZ, although the progressive recovery of international trade should help.

One is trying to navigate a crisis to political advantage, while the other has spent seven months doing things well outside the usual ambit of a Foreign Affairs staffer (much like the Constable in the original, Gerry is a young man in way over his head. He's also gone a slight bit mad, as might have come across in the chapter).
Plus well, to be fair....
There were those who protested. As the country experienced a burgeoning economic crisis and society’s fabric was stretched by a failing economy, many amongst the younger generation took to protest, on and off the streets, against what they saw as a one-sided alliance with the United States which only served to put their country on the list of Soviet targets for annihilation whilst giving the Americans somewhere to park spare ships.

While there were no concrete provisions made regarding nuclear war, the Prime Minister was later quoted as saying “I want everyone to know that they’re safer in New Zealand than in Switzerland,” indicating his lack of concern about the likelihood of the country coming under nuclear attack.

It was with this in mind that the cameras and microphones of the country’s news media congregated in Parliament’s press hall at half past ten on the humid summer’s night of February 18th, 1984 as, giving a speech that continues to create debate over whether he was drunk or just stressed by the extraordinary situation, Robert Muldoon announced the outbreak of World War Three.
“...we have decided, after consultation at Government House with our allies from the American embassy and the British High Commission...that following the aggression displayed in Europe the appropriate and moral next step for New Zealand to take is to declare war upon the Soviet Union.”

You gotta admit, Muldoon kinda did bungle it big time, New Zealand had no place in a nuclear conflict without weapons, doubly so since he seemed to be rather blase about the threat....