The Union Forever: A TL

Spengler

Banned
Love that the Battle Cry of Freedom is going to be the National anthem in this timeline. Always thought it made more sense I mean the Civil War had a much greater effect on America than the war of 1812.

Emancipation and Reunion
Emancipation and Reunion

GyAl3SN.jpg

President Lincoln and his cabinet reviewing the Proclamation for Emancipation and Restoration of the Union

With the war going so well for the Union over the past few months, Lincoln now saw an opportunity to move on the two crucial issues of the conflict; reintegrating the southern states into the Union and slavery.

In the beginning of the war, Lincoln had been very reluctant to deal with slavery for fear of upsetting the border states. However, the recent string of Northern successes had done much to silence voices of discontent in the border regions as well as pro-peace Copperheads in the North. Following the twin victories at Warrenton and Nashville, Lincoln felt it pertinent to take the first steps towards abolishing slavery and restoring the Union. On September 1, 1862 Lincoln issued a Proclamation for Emancipation and Restoration of the Union, known as P.E.R.U. to the millions of American schoolchildren who would have to memorize passages of it over the following centuries. The Proclamation stated...

"That on the first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free; and the Executive Government of the United States, including the military and naval authority thereof, will recognize and maintain the freedom of such persons, and will do no act or acts to repress such persons, or any of them, in any efforts they may make for their actual freedom.”

The Proclamation continued by stating that any state which is currently in rebellion that rejoined the Union by January 1, 1863 would be spared the effects of the Proclamation. The Proclamation spelled out the process by which states could rejoin the Union. First, by having a majority of a state’s legislature take an oath of allegiance to the government of the United States and repeal their ordinance of succession or after 10% of a state’s population had taken an oath of allegiance and formed a new state government. The Proclamation also stated that any citizen, with the exception of top tier Confederate government and military officials, would be unconditionally pardoned upon taking an oath of allegiance.

Lincoln’s reasoning for issuing the Proclamation was multifaceted. On the one hand, it was mainly a military measure which was intended to sap the slave power on which the Confederacy operated. Lincoln continued to maintain that the restoration of the Union was the chief aim of the war and that this Proclamation would only speed up the Union's victory. Secondly, it would cause even more splintering between the Confederate government and state governments as many politicians who had become disgruntled with the Davis administration might see this as a way out of the war. Thirdly, it would appease the more radical elements in Lincoln's own party who were begging for the President to deal with slavery. Lincoln doubted whether the Deep South would comply but believed that the Upper South would be seriously tempted by the proposition.

Reaction to P.E.R.U. varied considerably. Fredrick Douglas cheered the Proclamation as a step in the right direction. Other’s derided the Proclamation as it only freed slaves that were outside Federal control. Democrats generally were appalled by the Proclamation. They believed that Lincoln, yet again, had overstepped his constitutional authority. When news reached the South, Jefferson Davis lashed out at the Proclamation declaring that it was “intended to insight slave insurrection and the massacre of the white race.” The proclamation however greatly empowered Union sympathizers, conditional Unionists, and moderates who saw rejoining the Union as their last chance to save slavery in their states and avoid going down in flames with the increasingly discredited Confederate government.

Last edited:
I suspect that the Confederacy will rather rapidly start collapsing at this point...will Texas or Arkansas really want to keep themselves tied to a sinking ship, especially as they're clearly going to be cut off from the rest of the Confederacy soon? I doubt the rotten thing will last into 1864 at the outside.

EDIT: Also, while the 13th Amendment (or someting similar) is likely to pass in this scenario, the 14th Amendment might not, or at least not in the full strength it did IOTL. Particularly, the abscense of the due process clause would cause truly massive changes in Constitutional law in the 20th century, and would preclude the "incorporation" of Bill of Rights rights into the states. Since the Radical Republicans may be less powerful (in fact, seem quite likely to be less powerful) and the Southern governments may be more inclined to rejoin, especially given PERU, I would imagine Section 3 at least would need to be modified, and perhaps Southern governments will be on best behavior for a while, thereby severely modifying the case for the 14th Amendment.

Also, I wonder if anything like Juneteenth will arise ITTL? IOTL, that's the name of a holiday on June 19th, which happens to have been the day when slaves in Galveston (and by proxy Texas) were informed they had been freed by the Emancipation Proclamation (previously they had not been aware). Texas was the last state to be informed of the freeing of slaves. I expect ITTL similar events will arise in whichever areas surrender last (and therefore are informed about PERU last).

Last edited:
With a (presumably) faster and less costly Union victory, mightn't the effects on the country of the war be less? IOTL, defeat was only achieved by really grinding down the South with superior men and materiel, not through any great deal of cleverness on the battlefield. In my estimation, that let Southerners feel that "If only our leaders had been better...", thereby reducing feelings of reconciliations,

I'd say its exactly the opposite. The South was surprisingly willing to accept its battlefield defeat in practical terms. A big reason was that both sides, with some justice, largely beleived or suspected that the South had superior generals and even superior armies---but was still defeated by Northern numbers. This had two effects: (1) it meant that Southern partisans couldn't tell themselves that they could try again and this time all they needed was better generalship and (2) it meant that the South could take pride in the war despite its defeat, so there was no need to fight again to redress their honor.

Also, you just can't discount the effect of the extra suffering and death on the South to make them feel like they just didn't want to go through that again.

Its possible that this South will be somewhat more irreconciliable than OTL, unless our author has some rabbits to pull out of his hat that give us a couple more years of bloody total war.

I'd say its exactly the opposite. The South was surprisingly willing to accept its battlefield defeat in practical terms. A big reason was that both sides, with some justice, largely beleived or suspected that the South had superior generals and even superior armies---but was still defeated by Northern numbers. This had two effects: (1) it meant that Southern partisans couldn't tell themselves that they could try again and this time all they needed was better generalship and (2) it meant that the South could take pride in the war despite its defeat, so there was no need to fight again to redress their honor.

Also, you just can't discount the effect of the extra suffering and death on the South to make them feel like they just didn't want to go through that again.

Its possible that this South will be somewhat more irreconciliable than OTL, unless our author has some rabbits to pull out of his hat that give us a couple more years of bloody total war.

Well, beyond Southern feelings you've got to consider Northern feelings--and they may be more willing to compromise than IOTL. Also, ITTL the South has everything going against it; it (apparently) has worse generals, and it does have fewer men and less matériel. I don't see why that would change (2) above, since the South was just obviously totally outclassed in every way. To put it another way--Japan was hit by the trifecta by the US; since then, it has not noticeably attempted to 'restore its honor'. Ofc, that probably occurred because of a Reconstruction far more through than anything that could ever have followed the Civil War, so there's that. I would say that both my and your points of view are reasonable and plausible, so its up to MacGregor to decide which happens.

The Battle Cry of Freedom is the national anthem?

Its hard to see how that happens if ATL takes the same let-bygones-be-bygones approach to national reconciliation that eventually happened OTL. I mean, that song is pretty clearly a song about beating the Southerners in the Civil War, as opposed to the Star-Spangled Banner, which is about beating the Brits. I'm guessing that there's more a longterm 'conquered nation' feel in the South and less a willingness to let things slide in the North. Unless the South is thoroughly, thoroughly remade, I have a hard time seeing Southern politicians voting to make a song about the Civil War the national anthem. Maybe there are long-term regional voting blocs with the Southern bloc often on the losing end of the stick. TTL could be ugly.

Its hard to see how that happens if ATL takes the same let-bygones-be-bygones approach to national reconciliation that eventually happened OTL. I mean, that song is pretty clearly a song about beating the Southerners in the Civil War, as opposed to the Star-Spangled Banner, which is about beating the Brits. I'm guessing that there's more a longterm 'conquered nation' feel in the South and less a willingness to let things slide in the North. Unless the South is thoroughly, thoroughly remade, I have a hard time seeing Southern politicians voting to make a song about the Civil War the national anthem. Maybe there are long-term regional voting blocs with the Southern bloc often on the losing end of the stick. TTL could be ugly.

I thought it was a bit off myself. As you say it doesn't seem a song that would have national appeal. I could see it being the unofficial national anthem in the north during the rest of the war and maybe beyond, but it just doesn't have the appeal of Francis Scott Key's tune.

Ooops, you're right, I forgot about that detail :eek: Now, the song was popular enough that there were actually Confederate lyrics written (according to Wikipedia, at least), and I could see a rewritten version appealing to both sides becoming the national anthem, but MacGregor has the Union version, so...no.

The Battle of Richmond was anticlimactic as Confederate forces fighting a regard action, moved through the city heading south. On the morning of June 6th, 1862 Union forces entered the capital of the Confederacy. When the Stars and Stripes was raised over the Virginia statehouse a Union private yelled to General Sumner “If only Little Mac could see us now!”

Just a point to make over the fall of Richmond. As McClellan drew closer in OTL the fear that Johnston's army would be defeated or forced to pull back from Richmond circulated in the capital but the response was different there than the one see from the residents of Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans and Norfolk. At those places, once the Confederate troops had withdrawn, the city surrendered rather than risk damage but in Richmond the mood was to rather see the city reduced to rubble than to see it in the hands of the Yankees. Governer John Letcher and the Mayor Joseph Mayo declared they would defend the capital regardless of what the Confederate troops did and many prominant members of Richmond society declared that they would burn their own property to the ground and sholder muskets themselves in the event that Richmond fell. So, with that in mind, I doubt whether the occupation of Richmond by the Army of the Potomac would be a quiet affair.

This TL is excellent, and I look forward to its continuation. I am ignorant when it comes to military affairs, but I'm a bit of a student of US domestic policy, so I offer the following talking points:

1. Because of the PERU, Abolitionists are going to be afraid that they'll end up right back where they were in 1860. One of their reactions will be to put tremendous pressure on Delaware and the territory of West Virginia to abolish slavery. As of the 1860 Census, Delaware was down to only 1,798 slaves (1.6% of the population), and West Virginia 18,371 (4.9%), and most of West Virginia's slaves were in the disputed counties. After these two, it's a big jump to the next set of slave states. In OTL, Delaware's legislature kept attempting abolition acts and falling short by one or two votes, and West Virginia passed gradual abolition as a condition of statehood.
  2. Note that the Confiscation Act of 1861 is still in effect, so Union soldiers may still confiscate the slaves of Confederates and make them the property of the Union Army. This could be a useful way of putting pressure on Virginia.
  3. This TL hasn't addressed the Homestead Acts. One of the major objections to abolition was how to handle all the freedmen. Many people were racists and didn't want them in their towns, but even good white people recognized that unleashing millions of unemployed folks with little experience in independent living could be disastrous. So the Alt-Homestead Act could be a chance to turn the Army's informal "40 Acres and a Mule" policy into something with the force of law.
  4. Also unmentioned are the Railroad Acts, the Land-Grant Colleges Act, and the creation of the Department of Agriculture and the Internal Revenue Service. I know this is a military-focused TL, so I can understand continuing to ignore them for that reason, but whether they pass, and in what form, will influence how the USA develops in the coming years.
  5. Elections are in one month. I'd think that these elections are going to turn out very differently, since the two main issues in OTL were military failure and Lincoln being too abolitionist, and we're seeing the opposite ITTL.

Its hard to see how that happens if ATL takes the same let-bygones-be-bygones approach to national reconciliation that eventually happened OTL. I mean, that song is pretty clearly a song about beating the Southerners in the Civil War, as opposed to the Star-Spangled Banner, which is about beating the Brits.
Well the SPB wasn't adopted till the early 1900's [1913??] I could see the BCOF being adopted during the first Great War.

Well the SPB wasn't adopted till the early 1900's [1913??] I could see the BCOF being adopted during the first Great War.

Same objections apply, unless they are significantly changing the words. 'Down with the traitors' 'no man shall live a slave' etc. are all clearly about beating the South in the Civil War.

Even if you significantly change the words, I would predict that its association with the Civil War would make it unpopular among Southern congressmen.

Well, while the Union is in less dire straights, the war has been going on for about as long as it had when the Proclamation was introduced OTL; I just can't help but think it would be a huge blunder to allow states to declare war on the US in the demand to preserve and extend slavery, then not touch the institution in those treasonous states.

I'm hoping Abe will still push the Proclamation -- same as OTL, only it looks like here it wouldn't apply to Virginia since most of the state has been brought back into the Union.

Agreed - yes, I couldn't stay away :) Perhaps in this TL, compensated emancipation for border states would happen with an earlier Union win? The problem is one reason why my POD in IBIE is the soonest possible after the Emancipation Proclamation, I wanted slavery to end as fast as possible for certain, while ending the ACW fast, too.

In mine, with Chancellorsville a big Union win and Lee being forced to surrender a while later, I'd wondered how Virginia would handle the surrender - which is why I gave in and read. Thanks for the post by Nytram01 on how the people would have responded - although it might be subdued a bit with Lee's reputation, it'd probably be like it was in OTL's 1865.

I have an interesting end for the Western Theater, though - after Virginia falls, Jefferson Davis orders Hood to relieve Johnston if Johnston won't attack Union forces himself. So, Vicksburg ends as a Union victory a few weeks erly, becuase of the failed attack by Johnston and John Bell Hood (sent over with a division from the East to Mississippi) on Union forces. With Davis' insistence on every city being held, he's still spread pretty thin in this TL - but I think Texas culd still be a problem. The CSA hasn't totally been cut in two.

I've read Lee had heart problems, and possibly an undiagnosed heart attack, after Gettysburg. I'm not sure if Lee would have chest pains this early, though. However, he might still not see field command again, hard to say. I'm not sure what Davis' relationship was like with him at that point.

Now, i am defeinitely leaving due to time constraints. :) This stuff is just too much fun sometimes. :)

Last edited:

I thought it was a bit off myself. As you say it doesn't seem a song that would have national appeal. I could see it being the unofficial national anthem in the north during the rest of the war and maybe beyond, but it just doesn't have the appeal of Francis Scott Key's tune.

Indeed Gentlemen, good observations. If the Battle Cry of Freedom became the National Anthem with the original lyrics posted above it would seem odd and probably remain unpopular in the South. However, if you will read closely I said it will eventually become the National Anthem after some changes.

*SPOILERS*

The Battle Cry of Freedom will not be offically adopted until the early 20th Century after subsequent wars with foreign powers and changes in the lyrics. And don't worry I will post the final lyrics of the song when the time comes. Cheers.

This TL is excellent, and I look forward to its continuation. I am ignorant when it comes to military affairs, but I'm a bit of a student of US domestic policy, so I offer the following talking points:

1. Because of the PERU, Abolitionists are going to be afraid that they'll end up right back where they were in 1860. One of their reactions will be to put tremendous pressure on Delaware and the territory of West Virginia to abolish slavery. As of the 1860 Census, Delaware was down to only 1,798 slaves (1.6% of the population), and West Virginia 18,371 (4.9%), and most of West Virginia's slaves were in the disputed counties. After these two, it's a big jump to the next set of slave states. In OTL, Delaware's legislature kept attempting abolition acts and falling short by one or two votes, and West Virginia passed gradual abolition as a condition of statehood.
  2. Note that the Confiscation Act of 1861 is still in effect, so Union soldiers may still confiscate the slaves of Confederates and make them the property of the Union Army. This could be a useful way of putting pressure on Virginia.
  3. This TL hasn't addressed the Homestead Acts. One of the major objections to abolition was how to handle all the freedmen. Many people were racists and didn't want them in their towns, but even good white people recognized that unleashing millions of unemployed folks with little experience in independent living could be disastrous. So the Alt-Homestead Act could be a chance to turn the Army's informal "40 Acres and a Mule" policy into something with the force of law.
  4. Also unmentioned are the Railroad Acts, the Land-Grant Colleges Act, and the creation of the Department of Agriculture and the Internal Revenue Service. I know this is a military-focused TL, so I can understand continuing to ignore them for that reason, but whether they pass, and in what form, will influence how the USA develops in the coming years.
  5. Elections are in one month. I'd think that these elections are going to turn out very differently, since the two main issues in OTL were military failure and Lincoln being too abolitionist, and we're seeing the opposite ITTL.

Thank you for your support and bringing up these excellent points. Indeed this is a relatively military focused TL, but your points mentioned above do need to be addressed and will be in future installments. May I be so bold as to ask your opinion on what you think would happen with the points mentioned above?

First Lynchburg Campaign
First Lynchburg Campaign

gYwphg1.png

Flag used by the Army of Northern Virginia under General Robert E. Lee​

While the Army of the Potomac licked its wounds following the costly victory at Warrenton, Lee and the battered Army of Northern Virginia wasted no time in heading south to safety. In a series of maneuvers and battles that military officers would study for centuries to come, Lee artfully dodged his more numerous Federal opponents. Lincoln was adamant that Sumner move swiftly and capture Lee's retreating army. Sumner however continuously underestimated General Lee who bested Union efforts to ensnare his force for the next several weeks.

The chief Union blunder of this campaign was that as Lee fell back they did not concentrate their forces against him. Sumner only sent slightly more than half of his large army against Lee leaving the more mauled units in the north to recuperate. Lee was even able to briefly re-occupy the city of Charlottesville, Virginia after he overran the small union force that had been sent to block his line of retreat.

Lee's retreat towards the southwest came to a halt at Lynchburg, a medium sized city of some 7,000 inhabitants, that the Confederate and Virginia state governments settled in after the fall of Richmond. As the largest city in Virginia still in Southern hands, not to mention the de facto national and state capital, Jefferson Davis tasked Lee to defend it.

JN6wibE.jpg

Major General William B. Franklin
Army of Virginia, Commander

With winter approaching, Major General Sumner devised a two pronged attack to trap and annihilate Lee's army. Sumner and the bulk of the Army of the Potomac advanced from the east, while Major General William B. Franklin and the reconstituted Army of Virginia moved south out of the Shenandoah Valley. By mid October, 1862 the two Union forces were within 30 miles of Lynchburg. Lee struck first, moving north against Franklin. On the fog laden morning of October 17, the Union stumbled into an ambush at the tiny hamlet of New Glasgow near the town of Amherst. In less than three hours, Franklin was in full retreat. Moving quickly, Lee then turned east to face Sumner. Unaware of what happened at New Glasgow, Sumner was stunned when Lee attacked his troops near Appomattox Courthouse. For most of October 18, the battle raged back and forth with both sides suffering grievous casualties. At the Union council of war that evening, Sumner reluctantly decided to withdraw towards Petersburg since Franklin would no longer be able to assist him.

Having won a hard fought victory at Lynchburg, the Confederates entered winter quarters. Union forces in Virginia, reeling from this surprising loss, opted to refit and hope for better results in the spring. General Sumner, smarting over his defeat and suffering from deteriorating health, accepted President Lincoln's offer to become General in Chief of the Union Armies in Washington. While it might seem strange to promote Sumner in light of his recent failure, it opened the way for a new commander of the Army of the Potomac. For his replacement, Lincoln picked II Corp commander Major General John Sedgwick. Although junior to a number of other corps commanders, Sedgwick had performed very well at the Battles of Warrenton and Petersburg, and even held his own at Appomattox Courthouse. He was also popular with many officers in the Union Army. Sedgwick's appointment would prove a fortuitous decision in the months to come.

Last edited: