The Union Forever: A TL

Valid comments. I am going to post the next installment soon and would like to know what you think the chances of Johnston getting relieved are seeing how Richmond has fallen?

There a chance but its not a large chance. Davis has only one person who could replace Johnston and that's Lee - he would have had Bragg but assuming the western theater is going as OTL thus far Bragg will have just taken control from Beauregard. Now Lee longs to be an Army Commander and get the respect and acclaim that comes from being such but it is questionable whether or not he would accept the position at the expense of Johnston - though I'm sure he would if he was ordered to do so.

The easiest way to get Johnston out of the picture is to have him be wounded which would be acceptable for even an Alternate timline as Johnston was a bullet magnet.

Johnston may be superseeded by Lee as that is within Lee's right. Davis brought Lee back from the Carolina's in 1862 to coordinate the movement of troops in Virginia and in doing this Davis gave him the position of General-in-Chief in all but name. Everybody, including Joseph Johnston but excluding A.S. Johnston (since he was senior to Lee), was calling Lee the Commanding General and treating him like the top ranking general in the country. The only reason Lee wasn't called "General-in-Chief" was because Davis wasn't prepared to give up his right to chose who got promotion and wasn't prepared to give Lee the right to take over any army without his authority to do so.

In TTL Davis may give Lee the right to take control of Johnston's ,what would still be called, Army of the Potomac, should he win the debate, and permit Lee to command the attack into Virginia in the attempt to reclaim Richmond. Johnston will not be happy to be knocked down from commander to second in command but he would do the job without complaint unless he is transfered elsewhere - some would say that position as subordinate suited him more than commanding general. You may get a case when Johnston commands one wing of the Army and Longstreet the other, now that Jackson's dead, but I doubt whether it would be a happy situation for all that long.

It all depends on what you want to do with Johnston but bare in mind that Davis only persecuted failure with Generals he hated and he and Johnston did not have that kind of relationship in 1862 - the hatred between them in OTL developed after Johnston wounding and mostly after Vicksburg - in 1862 they dont like each other but they tolerate each other work with each other without trouble.

I agree that being driven from Richmond is a major blow to prestige, but Idisagree that going to Danville does anything to recover or preserve that prestige.

I think the confederate government stays in Virginia only if they are actively pursuing the recovery of Richmond (which they are likely to do, of course). I predict that whichever General offers a bold plan for the near term recovery of Richmond is the General who comes out on top of the Confederate strategy debate.

I didn't mean that Danville has any prestiege but retreating from Virginia entirely would be a great blow to prestiege that the Confederacy, attempting to present itself to the European nations as worthy of independence and support, could not afford.

It is almost a given that Lee will win the debate. Davis never sided with Joe Johnston over Lee on any issue - ever.

The Confederate Counteroffensive
The Confederate Counteroffensive
TJEiqq1.jpg

General Robert E. Lee​

Confederates Regroup

When Abraham Lincoln, pacing around the Washington telegraph office as he often did, received news of the fall of Richmond he is reported to have jumped for joy so high that he hit his head on the office’s ceiling. Indeed the entire North was electrified by the fall of the Confederate capital. Harper’s Weekly ran a full page illustration of General Sumner titled “The Conqueror of the Confederacy.” Even the usually somber New York Times blared “Glorious News, Richmond Rightfully Ours!”

If the North was ecstatic, needless to say Confederate moral was devastated by the loss of Richmond. The fall of Richmond was a serious blow to Confederate hopes of receiving foreign recognition. Confederate agent John Slidell in a letter addressed to President Davis from London about a week after receiving news of Richmond’s capture stated “The loss of our capital has silenced almost all discussion here of recognition of our Southern republic." On June 10, as the Army of Northern Virginia continued to head south, Davis relieved General Johnston and placed General Robert E. Lee in command. Lee moved the Army of Northern Virginia to a position a few miles south of Petersburg, Virginia to lick his army’s wounds. Lee had to double the night watch around his camp as desertions, especially amongst Virginian troops, continued to increase at an alarming rate. Major General Ewell’s forces, who had bested Pope at Gordonsville, were being hurriedly routed to reinforce Lee before they were cut off by Northern troops.

On June 12, Jefferson Davis, along with Confederate Secretary of War George W. Randolph, met with General Lee at his Headquarters. All three of the men present knew that if the military situation couldn’t be righted and quickly, the Southern cause was lost. But what to do? It appeared to Davis that he was ever increasingly in a no win scenario. Basic military strategy would dictate that the weaker force should be on the defensive. However the defensive strategy the Confederacy had been pursuing since the start of the war seemed now to have met with almost nothing but defeats. If they continued on the defensive the Confederacy would be slowly strangled by the encircling Union armies. If Davis went over to the offensive however the potential loss of Lee’s Army would be an irreversible calamity.

Events were becoming desperate. Desertions were skyrocketing, the value of Confederate money was plummeting, and several in the Confederacy were now beginning to contemplate rejoining the Union if only a guarantee of slavery could be made. The later sentiment was especially strong in the states of Tennessee and Virginia which were now largely in Union hands. If these states reverted back into the Union, Davis believed, the Confederacy's chances of survival would become slim indeed. Therefore, despite the discrepancies in strength, it was agreed that as soon as possible General Lee should move against the Army of the Potomac along with a similar offensive push by Confederate armies in the western theater.

Last edited:
The Western Theater
The Western Theater

upload_2017-6-15_10-18-39.png

Major General Braxton Bragg
Army of Mississippi, Commander​

The Western Theater had been going well for the Union. Corinth, Mississippi had fallen shortly after the battle of Shiloh. Jefferson Davis had replaced General P.G.T. Beauregard with General Braxton Bragg as commander of the Army of Mississippi after Beauregard left for medical leave without permission following the fall of Corinth. Although Bragg had proposed an invasion of Kentucky via Confederate controlled eastern Tennessee, Davis instructed Bragg to move against Major General Don Carlos Buell and his Army of the Ohio in Nashville. The reasons for a move against Nashville instead of Kentucky were two fold. First, as the state capital, Nashville’s recapture would go a long way in helping silence any talk of Tennessee returning to the Union. Second, in the event of a defeat, an army invading distant Kentucky would run the serious risk of becoming cutoff and captured. Bragg’s move towards Nashville was planned to coincide with Lee’s advance in Virginia in order to tie down the maximum number of Union troops. Meanwhile further west, the Federals were having considerable difficulty in capturing Vicksburg that, along with Port Hudson, blocked Union use of the Mississippi River. Attempts to bombard it into submission had met with failure. Major General Ulysses S. Grant and his Army of the Tennessee was augmented with some of Buell's forces to capture the city and open the river.​

Last edited:
I agree that being driven from Richmond is a major blow to prestige, but Idisagree that going to Danville does anything to recover or preserve that prestige.

I think the confederate government stays in Virginia only if they are actively pursuing the recovery of Richmond (which they are likely to do, of course). I predict that whichever General offers a bold plan for the near term recovery of Richmond is the General who comes out on top of the Confederate strategy debate.

As the recent posts indicate my thoughts exactly :D. Any speculation as to the chances of Lee's success on his upcoming offensive?

Any speculation as to the chances of Lee's success on his upcoming offensive?

Well a lot depends on your new Union commander and the degree of disorganization the Union has suffered in victory and the Confederacy in defeat.

I would predict a Lee tactical victory but one that does not have the expected strategic benefits, other than raising southern morale.

Agreed. I think he will succeed in stopping the momentum of the Union Army, but honestly other than stall I don't think the Confederates will do much more than dent the US war machine strategically. He will only prolong the bloodshed, which might have him be looked at more negatively than OTL?

Lee and Bragg Advance
Lee and Bragg Advance

On July 27, 1862 in the sweltering summer heat, the Confederate Armies of Northern Virginia and of Mississippi began their advance towards their Federal counterparts. Both Bragg and Lee hoped that their offensives would liberate the two Confederate state capitals that had fallen into Yankee hands. Bragg’s plan was simple, move directly against the weakened Buell in Nashville and capture the city before Union reinforcements in western Tennessee came to his aid. Lee’s plan however was more complex. Lee intended move his forces westward around Richmond and advance towards Washington. Sumner, Lee predicted, would move out of his fortifications in Richmond and engage him. This plan was undoubtedly risky. If Lee was victorious the Union would have vacated Richmond and, if the Army of the Potomac was mauled badly enough, be cut off from its supplies and lines of retreat to the north. On the other hand if Lee was defeated his lines of retreat would be cut off. It was definitely a gamble but with diminishing Confederate fortunes, Lee was willing to risk it to prevent the subjugation of his native state.​

Last edited:
Hm interesting. I could see this going several ways. One, both could succeed, which to me is the most unlikely. The most option I think would be the most interesting, and most probably, is Bragg failing in taking Nashville, and Lee forcing the Union out of Richmond, but not having enough force to really cut off their supplies or seriously threaten Washington. Or of course you could have both fail.

Hm interesting. I could see this going several ways. One, both could succeed, which to me is the most unlikely. The most option I think would be the most interesting, and most probably, is Bragg failing in taking Nashville, and Lee forcing the Union out of Richmond, but not having enough force to really cut off their supplies or seriously threaten Washington. Or of course you could have both fail.

Indeed. My next posts will describe these upcoming battles. Where in Virginia would a good place be for the Armies of Northern Virginia and the Army of the Potomac to meet up?

The Siege of Nashville
The Siege of Nashville

pkma2Cw.jpg

Major General Don Carlos Buell
Army of the Ohio, Commander

The siege of Nashville began on August 6, 1862 when the vanguard of Bragg’s Army of Mississippi drove in outer elements of Buell’s Army of the Ohio. Buell’s army took up their defensive positions around the city. Bragg, for now, enjoyed a rough numerical parity with the Federals. On the morning of August 8, Bragg launched his attack on Buell’s forces south of the Cumberland River. These morning attacks were in the end a costly failure. Confederate Major General Leonidas Polk, second cousin to former U.S. President Polk, was mortally wounded by Union artillery during the assault. A devout Episcopal Bishop, Polk’s final words were “I thank God that he has called me to him so as my eyes will not witness the fall of the South”. To the absolute bewilderment of Jefferson Davis, Bragg refused to launch follow up attacks and settled down into a siege of Nashville, the whole time begging for reinforcements the Confederacy, with another ongoing campaign in Virginia, could hardly spare. In the meantime the Union was rushing reinforcements to the relief of Nashville from other parts of Tennessee and Kentucky. The clock was running against Bragg, a fact that he seemed to totally disregard.

Meanwhile in the east, General Lee moved rapidly and passed north of the Army of the Potomac which was still in Richmond. President Lincoln was disappointed with Sumner’s lack of progress since the Confederate capital fell and was adamant that Sumner now move to intercept Lee before he reached the Washington defenses. Sumner complied leaving a small force to garrison Richmond, and started to move the large Army of the Potomac north in what many believed would be the deciding battle of the war.​

Last edited:
Nashville was expected. Bragg is not that great of a commander, and honestly the Western theatre wasn't as even as the Eastern, the USA just simply outwieghed them, something that made it very costly for the Confederates to go on the offensive. The siege will be broken shortly.

Hm, as for the site, Spotsylvania/Frederickburg seems right. Maybe the Union catches the CSA from behind while they try to cross the Rappahannock? That would be a disaster. :eek:

The Rappahannock Campaign
The Rappahannock Campaign

The Army of Northern Virginia was making impressive headway in the direction of Washington. It overcame its first obstacle by pushing through a detachment of dismounted Union cavalry at the Battle of Culpepper Courthouse on August 11, 1862. Lee’s plan was to continue to head north through Brandy Station and cross the Rappahannock River at Rappahannock Station. Once north of the Rappahannock, Lee planned on giving battle from a defensive position where Lee’s disadvantage of numbers could be marginalized. Lee had no illusions of totally destroying the Union Army but with any luck the main body of the Army of the Potomac, now approaching from the south, would be defeated and then retreat towards Washington. Lee would then turn south and reoccupy Richmond, returning the Confederate capital to Southern control and giving the South a desperately needed boost in morale.

Union commander Major General Sumner however was not merely chasing Lee north. Taking advantage of the railroad and river networks in Northern Virginia, Sumner had decided to dispatch I Corps north to be routed through Alexandria, Virginia to establish a blocking position north of the river at Rappahannock Station. I Corp was now under Major General Joseph Hooker who had recently replaced Major General Irvin McDowell as commander. Meanwhile the rest of the Union army would approached Lee from the South and box him in. In a sense it became a race against time to see who could arrive at this import river crossing first.

9lmxYn5.jpg

Major General Joseph Hooker
I Corps, Commander

Lee continued to advanced north capturing Brandy Station on August 12 but only after unexpectedly stiff resistance by the small Union garrison. The next day Lee arrived at the Rappahannock shocked to see a large number of Federal troops disembarking off trains and drawing themselves into position north of the river. Lee, it was reported, was surprised to see such a large element of the Army of the Potomac to his north instead of trailing him to the south. Lee was now faced with a decision, he could order a hasty attack across the river and keep advancing towards Washington, or remain in Brandy Station and await a Union attack. Lee chose the former but ordered a night reconnaissance of Union positions north of the river to ascertain their strength.

On the morning of August 13, Confederate scouts reported to Lee that the troops on the North bank of the Rappahannock consisted only of Hooker’s I Corps. The scouts also reported that Sumner with the rest of the Federal Army was fast approaching from the Southeast. Around 9:00 a.m. Lee assembled his commanders to discuss the situation. The Confederate forces did enjoy a numerical advantage against Hooker’s troops to the north and if they could be defeated the Army of Northern Virginia could then turn its attention to Sumner when he arrived with the Union main body. However, this plan was not without risks. Hooker’s men had spent the night entrenching and crossing the river would be tough. In the end it was decided that Hooker’s Corp should be eliminated before the arrival of Sumner. The only Confederate corps commander who voiced reservations was Major General James Longstreet who favored either skirting Hooker to the west or remain on the defensive and wait for a Union attack.

The Battle of Rappahannock Station began around noon on August 13. With only a few hours to prepare and after a brief artillery barrage, the attack commenced with Confederate troops surging against the Union positions. Yankee guns overlooking the river crossing caused considerable Confederate casualties. For over three hours Lee made steady by costly process as he managed to force the Federals back. The assault was hindered by Confederate Brigadier General J.E.B. Stuart who had been ordered to flank the Federal position from East. For reasons that remain unclear to this day, Stuart maneuvered his cavalry in a dashing but ultimate to wide of an arc around the Union position so that his forces did not join the battle for nearly four hours. As twilight approached Hooker ordered his battered corps to fall back, leaving the Confederates in possession of the northern bank. Lee had scored his much hoped for victory over a Union army. However, the Confederate triumph had come at an extremely high price. A price that Lee’s already outnumbered army could hardly afford as the main body of the Army of the Potomac approached from the South.

The morning following the Battle of Rappahannock Station was a bitter sweet moment for General Robert E Lee. He had scored a victory against the North but only after suffering severe casualties to his own force. He now contemplated his next move. He could cut his losses and head South to avoid being trapped, continue to follow his original plan and turn and face Sumner somewhere north of the Rappahannock, or advance towards Washington. Lee decided that he did not possess the forces to take Washington and if he continued on towards the Union capital he was going to be running the serious risk of becoming completely cut off from his line of retreat. Falling back to the southwest, which was favored by some on his staff, was ruled out because it would not allow them to reoccupy Richmond, their chief objective. Therefore, Lee decided to advance to the town of Warrenton, Virginia located 13 miles north of Rappahannock Station and give battle to the approaching Army of the Potomac. It was also rumored that Warrenton had Union depots. Depots with food and supplies that Lee’s army desperately needed.​

Last edited:
Very nice update, it seems like its taken straight from a Civil War textbook.

Lee, with another victory similar to Rappahannock, like Pyrrhus in Roman times, will be ruined. But the need for a strategic and political victory will push him forward, probably straight at Washington, and into the Union's hands. I think the Confederacy has begun driving on fumes.

Will Nashville be updated next?

Lee, with another victory similar to Rappahannock, like Pyrrhus in Roman times, will be ruined. But the need for a strategic and political victory will push him forward, probably straight at Washington.

SilverSwimmer gives his prediction above. Currently I am not sure what I am going to have Lee do. I think there are three options and I want to choose the most likely one. Remember that Sumner's Army is very close to catching up with Lee.

1) After the Pyrrhic victory at Rappahannock Station, Lee cuts his loses and heads South to avoid being trapped.

2) As per his orginial plan, turn and face Sumner north of teh Rappahannock.

3) Continue on towards Washington.

What do ya'll think?

The Battle of Warrenton
The Battle of Warrenton

The Battle of Warrenton, deadliest of the Civil War, started on August 18, 1862 with an inconclusive skirmish between Confederate soldiers and forward elements of Union cavalry. August 19, consisted of only sporadic skirmishes as the Confederates dug in and the Union forces drew themselves into position in a long line south of the town that curled northwards on both the eastern and western flanks. On August 20 at 7:20 a.m. Sumner launched one of the largest artillery bombardments of the war on the center of the Confederate line for over three hours. What would become known as Burnside’s Charge, named after Major General Ambrose Burnside commander of the Union IX Corps, occurred at 12:30 p.m. when Sumner ordered a full scale assault on the battered Confederate center. The wooded terrain helped mask Union movements, but after almost four hours of repeated charges and countercharges the Confederates were still able to hold onto their works. Historians have often criticized Sumner’s assault on the Confederates center, but it is important to note that it was Burnside’s Charge which forced the Confederates to weaken their left flank to reinforce their center that allowed for the decisive actions the next day.

For Lee, everything had been going according to plan. Sumner was attacking an entrenched Army of Northern Virginia and, so far, had been losing. Unfortunately for the South, Union superiority in numbers was about to decide the day. On the morning of August 21, Union Major General John Sedgwick of Connecticut launched a surprise attack against Lee’s weakened left flank. The previous night Sedgwick had convinced Sumner to not renew Burnside's attack on the Confederate center but instead reinforce his II Corps. Sumner also ordered the Union troops in the center and left to shuffle positions and make noise during the night to distract the Southerners. Sedgwick’s attack caught the Southerners off guard. Although the attack was very costly for both sides, the Army of Northern Virginia was so weakened from the previous week’s fighting that they did not have the numbers to stop the Union. By nightfall General Lee was forced to order his Army to withdraw to the northwest. Lee then began preparations for the long retreat home and began to realize that his army's chances for survival were slim. Although it will never be known for sure, total casualties for the battle are estimated around 41,000 killed, wounded, captured, and missing.

Lm69CX8.jpg

Artist's depiction of Burnside's Charge at the Battle of Warrenton​

Last edited:
Awesome. I like the ring of Sumner's charge.

I wonder how the South will take this horrible defeat? With the West in stalemate and the East in disarray, how could the south hope to keep the Union at bay?