The Union Forever: A TL

Profile: Milan I
This bio has been approved by Mac Gregor.

Milan I (1854-1900)

230px-MilanIDeSerbia--dasknigreichse03kaniuoft.jpg

King Milan I of Serbia was born as Milan Obrenović on August 22, 1854 in Mărășești, Moldavia, where his family had lived in exile ever since the 1842 return of the rival House of Karađorđević to the Serbian throne. Shortly after his birth, his parents divorced. On 20 November 1861, the seven year-old Milan's father died fighting the Ottoman Turks near Bucharest as a foreign mercenary in the Romanian Army. As a result, his mother Marija gained custody of the young Milan. However, soon after her husband’s death, Marija became the mistress of Romanian ruler Alexandru Ioan Cuza, and thus became uninterested in her children from her first marriage. As a result, Milan was legally adopted by his cousin Prince Mihailo Obrenović III (1823-1868) of Serbia, who had returned to reigning as Prince of Serbia since his return to the country in 1860.

On September 12, 1868, shortly after Milan's fourteenth birthday, Prince Mihajlo Obrenović III was assassinated by the Radovanović brothers, who were angry at the prince introducing absolutism into the Serbian government. As the prince had no male heirs, a new heir needed to be found. After a coup d’etat against the Serbian government was launched by the soldier and politician Colonel Milivoje Blaznavac (1824-1874) on September 24, 1868, the young Prince Milan was installed as the new prince of Serbia. As Prince Milan was only fourteen years of age at the time, a regency was established under the coup leader Colonel Blaznavac. On 22 August 1872, upon turning 18 years-old, Prince Milan was declared of age, and as a result he then took the government of Serbia into his own hands. On September 19, 1875, twenty-one year-old Prince Milan married the sixteen year-old Natalie Keschko (1859-1938), the daughter of the Romanian-Russian colonel Petre Keșco (1830-1865) and the descendent of Romanian nobility. The couple had only one son and child, Prince Alexander, the future Crown Prince Alexander and King Alexander I of Serbia (1876-1947).

On March 24, 1879, after quite a few years of ethnic and religious tensions in the Balkan Peninsula and in Ottoman Europe, the Russian Empire, the self-declared protector of all Slavic peoples, declared war on the Ottoman Empire, thus beginning the Russo-Turkish War of 1879. On July 6, 1879, when it seemed clear that Russia was winning the war, the Principality of Serbia under Prince Milan declared war on the Ottoman Empire and fought alongside Russia against the Ottoman Turks. After almost nine months, the war ended in a victory for the Russian Empire and her allies of Serbia, Romania and Montenegro and in a defeat for the Ottoman Empire. On December 30, 1879, with the signing of the Treaty of Athens, the Principality of Serbia was internationally recognized as independent from the Ottoman Empire.

On June 9, 1883, less than four years after the end of the Russo-Turkish War of 1879, the Kingdom of Serbia was established when Prince Milan of Serbia elevated himself from the status of Prince of Serbia to the status of King of Serbia. King Milan I ruled the Kingdom of Serbia for the next seventeen years, during which tensions between the surrounding powers of the Russian Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the Ottoman Empire threatened to consume the tiny, backwater kingdom. Nonetheless, the Kingdom of Serbia continued to remain at peace throughout the reign of King Milan I of Serbia, and avoided siding with any major power against another and participating in any wars. On January 10, 1892, King Milan I adopted a new and slightly more liberal constitution for the Kingdom of Serbia. In spite of this, Serbia was still by no means a fully-democratic constitutional monarchy.

Throughout his reign, King Milan devoted a large amount of government funds and tax money to the improvement of Serbian infrastructure, communications and the development and exploitation of natural resources. However, the cost of these projects, increased by the King’s personal spending and by government corruption, led to high taxation and by extension a huge amount of resentment amongst the average people of Serbia. In his personal life, King Milan I was a notorious womanizer and unfaithful husband. His mistresses included Clarita “Clara” Jerome Frewen (1851-1930), the sister in law of British statesman Lord Randolph Churchill (1849-1907) and Artemisia Hristić (c.1860-1925), the Greek wife of a Serbian diplomat.

After a peaceful and mostly uneventful reign, King Milan I of Serbia died suddenly from a heart attack in his residence in Belgrade on November 19, 1900 at the age of 46. As a result, the late king's eldest son and successor Crown Prince Alexander became King Alexander I of Serbia.

Profile: Frederick Eaton
This bio has been approved by Mac Gregor.

Frederick Eaton (1856-1878)

21627298_133401317636.gif

Frederick Eaton, a Medal of Honor recipient of the Spanish-American War (1877-1878), was born on September 23, 1856 in Los Angeles, California, United States of America. He was the only son of the Connecticut-born Benjamin Smith Eaton (1823-1900) and Helena M. Josephine Eaton nee Hayes (1827-1859), both of whom were the members of a prominent family who were some of the founders of the city of Pasadena, California. As a young adult, Eaton was a radical republican and a huge admirer of former President Abraham Lincoln (1809-1887). As a teenager and young adult, Eaton taught himself engineering. In 1875, when he was only nineteen years of age, Eaton became the superintendent of the Los Angeles City Water Company.

In October, 1877, Eaton was forced to resign from his office as superintendent of the Los Angeles Water Department, as he was drafted to fight in the Spanish-American War. Eaton was then sent on an army train from Los Angeles, California to Tampa, Florida. Eaton was then sent to an army training camp outside of Tampa. After his training was complete, Eaton served in the 9th U.S. Infantry Regiment as a part of the 3rd Brigade under Brigadier General David S. Stanley (1828-1903) and then took part in the seaborne invasion of Cuba, the Siege of Santiago and finally Stuart and Custer’s Overland Campaign.

On June 21, 1878, during the final assault of Havana, Private Eaton, only twenty-one years of age, volunteered himself to be in one of the forward columns that were going to advance on the city and its Spanish garrison. When the full-frontal assault on Havana began, Eaton displayed immense bravery in the charge against the Spanish garrison. According to his Medal of Honor citation, at one point, during the urban fighting in Havana, Eaton and his comrades in arms advanced on a group of Spanish rifleman in a narrow street, and as the Americans and Spaniards were fighting, Eaton lunged towards the Spanish riflemen and shot seven times at the men with his own Smith and Wesson rifle. During this firefight, Eaton was shot three times in the chest by an unknown Spanish soldier. After the American soldiers got a hold of the street, Eaton was taken to a nearby military hospital. The next day, on June 22, 1878, Eaton died, three months and one day before what would have been his 22nd birthday. As a result of his bravery under fire, Eaton was posthumously given the Medal of Honor on September 1, 1878. After the end of the Battle of Havana, Eaton was buried in the newly-established Havana Military Cemetery. His Medal of Honor was originally displayed in the Palacio de los Capitanes Generales in Havana and is now displayed in the Havana Military Museum.

Wouldn't this be an issue with the earthquakes in the region? Tsunamis have most of their power underwater, and would therefore wreck not only the plants but also the cables sending the power to the surface.

It is a concern. However, while most of a tsunamis power is underwater my understanding is that it sort of just passes through. The also have a ready made containment shroud to drop over the reactor in case of an acident.

Something tells me that not only is war going to occur between the AAA and the CDA, but that this is going to be what sparks the second Great War, with ComNat and the the USA getting dragged into the war (I'm pretty sure Liberia's independence is still protected by the USA). I could see this escalating and dragging all the other alliances into the conflict.

So it is worth saying that there is some debate as to America commitment in Liberia’s defense. There is no formal treaty but several communiques touting thier historic ties.

Blah, you're right, post edited for truthiness (in my defense, I was on my phone and hopping back and forth on several programs).

While on the subject, I wonder if anybody's looked into building permanent Lagrange point facilities by this point?

I’m sure the various powers a looking in to it. Which L point do you think will. E the first to be settled?

Profile: Gustaf V
So we have a first here on The Union Forever, Zoidberg12 and Lalli both submitted bios on Gustaf V with a day of each other. I have done my best to merge the two. Thanks to both of you for your support. Cheers!

Gustaf V of Sweden (1858-1920)

19022-004-11587671.jpg

Gustaf V of Sweden was born Gustaf, Duke of Värmland on June 16, 1858 in Drottningholm Palace in Ekerö, Stockholm County, Sweden. He was the first-born son of Prince Oscar, the future King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway (1829-1908) and Princess Sofia of Nassau (1836-1912). He had the following siblings; Prince Oscar Bernadotte (1859-1956), Prince Carl, Duke of Västergötland (1861-1949) and Prince Erik, Duke of Närke (1866-1946). On December 18, 1872, after the death of his uncle King Charles XV and IV of Sweden and Norway, the fourteen year-old Gustaf became Crown Prince and heir to the thrones of Sweden and Norway. On September 30, 1882, he married Princess Victoria of Baden (1862-1928) in the city of Karlsruhe in the Grand Duchy of Baden. Princess Victoria of Baden, who would became Queen Victoria of Sweden, was the great-granddaughter of the deposed King Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden, thus the aforementioned marriage united the reigning House of Bernadotte and the former Swedish dynasty of the House of Holstein-Gottorp. The couple had three children; Charles XVI of Sweden (1885-1959), Prince Oscar, Duke of Södermanland, the future King Oscar III (1887-1970) and Prince Charles, Duke of Västmanland (1890-1962). On February 26, 1908, King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway died at the age of 79. As a result, Crown Prince Gustaf became King Gustaf V of Sweden and Norway. His coronation took place in Stockholm, Sweden on March 25, 1908.

Throughout his twelve year-long reign, King Gustav V ruled as a near autocratic monarch, due to Sweden-Norway being one of the most conservative nations in Europe at the time. During the Great War (1907-1910), under King Gustaf V and Conservative Party Prime Minister Arvid Lindman (1862-1934), the Kingdom of Sweden-Norway traded openly with Great Britain, the Second French Empire, Prussia and the Russian Empire, making the Swedish-Norwegian nation and economy even wealthier in the process. After the war, Sweden-Norway was one of first nations to recognize the German Empire and the two monarchies quickly formed a close and enduring relationship.

During King Gustav V’s reign, Sweden was dominated by mostly conservative governments. All of this changed in 1917, when during the elections of 1917, the Liberals won a slim majority in the Swedish Riksdag. As a result, the Liberal party leader Axel Andersson (1871-1956) became Prime Minister of Sweden, much to the personal chagrin of King Gustaf V.

On July 2, 1920, while touring the city of Gothenburg with a royal entourage, King Gustaf V was assassinated by a deranged anarcho-communist named Björn Lind (1895-1920), who, after hurling a grenade at King Gustaf V, was promptly gunned down by the royal guards. King Gustaf V was then sent to a nearby hospital, where after hours of operations, he died later that day at 62 years of age. After his tragic assassination, the Swedish and Norwegian peoples went into a state of intense mourning. Prime Minister Andersson ordered a large-scale crackdown on all communist and anarchist groups in both Sweden and Norway. The funeral of King Gustaf V was held in Stockholm, Sweden on July 10, 1920 and also in Olso, Norway on July 14, 1920. After Gustaf V's death there were allegations that he was a closeted homosexual following the posthumous publication of several private letters to his private secretary. However, the royal court has denied such claims and there is some debate about the letters' authenticity.

Last edited:
Good job with Gustav V, Mac. But there is small mistake. Charles XV was uncle not grandfather of Gustav V.

So we have a first here on The Union Forever, Zoidberg12 and Lalli both submitted bios on Gustaf V with a day of each other. I have done my best to merge the two. Thanks to both of you for your support. Cheers!

Gustaf V of Sweden (1858-1920)

19022-004-11587671.jpg

Gustaf V of Sweden was born Gustaf, Duke of Värmland on June 16, 1858 in Drottningholm Palace in Ekerö, Stockholm County, Sweden. He was the first-born son of Prince Oscar, the future King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway (1829-1908) and Princess Sofia of Nassau (1836-1912). He had the following siblings; Prince Oscar Bernadotte (1859-1956), Prince Carl, Duke of Västergötland (1861-1949) and Prince Erik, Duke of Närke (1866-1946). On December 18, 1872, after the death of his uncle King Charles XV and IV of Sweden and Norway, the fourteen year-old Gustaf became Crown Prince and heir to the thrones of Sweden and Norway. On September 30, 1882, he married Princess Victoria of Baden (1862-1928) in the city of Karlsruhe in the Grand Duchy of Baden. Princess Victoria of Baden, who would became Queen Victoria of Sweden, was the great-granddaughter of the deposed King Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden, thus the aforementioned marriage united the reigning House of Bernadotte and the former Swedish dynasty of the House of Holstein-Gottorp. The couple had three children; Charles XVI of Sweden (1885-1959), Prince Oscar, Duke of Södermanland, the future King Oscar III (1887-1970) and Prince Charles, Duke of Västmanland (1890-1962). On February 26, 1908, King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway died at the age of 79. As a result, Crown Prince Gustaf became King Gustaf V of Sweden and Norway. His coronation took place in Stockholm, Sweden on March 25, 1908.

Throughout his twelve year-long reign, King Gustav V ruled as a near autocratic monarch, due to Sweden-Norway being one of the most conservative nations in Europe at the time. During the Great War (1907-1910), under King Gustaf V and Conservative Party Prime Minister Arvid Lindman (1862-1934), the Kingdom of Sweden-Norway traded openly with Great Britain, the Second French Empire, Prussia and the Russian Empire, making the Swedish-Norwegian nation and economy even wealthier in the process. After the war, Sweden-Norway was one of first nations to recognize the German Empire and the two monarchies quickly formed a close and enduring relationship.

During King Gustav V’s reign, Sweden was dominated by mostly conservative governments. All of this changed in 1917, when during the elections of 1917, the Liberals won a slim majority in the Swedish Riksdag. As a result, the Liberal party leader Axel Andersson (1871-1956) became Prime Minister of Sweden, much to the personal chagrin of King Gustaf V.

On July 2, 1920, while touring the city of Gothenburg with a royal entourage, King Gustaf V was assassinated by a deranged anarcho-communist named Björn Lind (1895-1920), who, after hurling a grenade at King Gustaf V, was promptly gunned down by the royal guards. King Gustaf V was then sent to a nearby hospital, where after hours of operations, he died later that day at 62 years of age. After his tragic assassination, the Swedish and Norwegian peoples went into a state of intense mourning. Prime Minister Andersson ordered a large-scale crackdown on all communist and anarchist groups in both Sweden and Norway. The funeral of King Gustaf V was held in Stockholm, Sweden on July 10, 1920 and also in Olso, Norway on July 14, 1920. After Gustaf V's death there were allegations that he was a closeted homosexual following the posthumous publication of several private letters to his private secretary. However, the royal court has denied such claims and there is some debate about the letters' authenticity.
This is actually great - you've got Lindman down to a T, for one thing. The man was a consummate opportunist above everything else.

The question is whether the transfer of power would've happened so smoothly. The Riksdag at the time was a bicameral body, and the upper house was elected by the county councils, which had a heavily weighted voting system that more or less guaranteed a permanent conservative majority. IOTL this was used to kill voting reform bills after the Liberals took the lower house in 1911, and the only reason reform finally happened was because of external pressures (food riots and the Russian Revolution) that forced the conservatives to make concessions of their own free will.

Abraham Lincoln
Albert I of Belgium
Alexander I of Serbia
Alexander I of the Netherlands
Alfred Dreyfus
Alfred von Tirpitz
Arthur Conan Doyle
Arthur I. Boreman
Arvind Verma
Benjamin Harrison
Booker T. Washington and Robert Ford
Brancaleone Lucchesi
Carlos I of Portugal
Carlos VII
Carlos VIII and Jaime III
Carlos Manuel de Cespedes del Castillo
Celso Serrano
Charles George Gordon
Conrad I
David B. Hill
Edwin Anderson
Elbio Paz Armenta
Emmett Scott Drager
Emperor Norton I
Ferdinand III of Portugal
Ferdinand V of Portugal
Ferdinand VI of Hungary
Francis II of Hungary
Frederick Eaton
Friedrich IV of Germany
Friedrich Nietzche
Gabriel Hanotaux
George V of United Kingdom
George Armstrong Custer and Josefina Guzman
Geronimo
Grover Cleveland, Giovanni Giolitti, and John J. Pershing
Gustaf V
Harold K. Abercrombie
Harriet Memminger
Harriet Tubman
Harshad Nanda
Hassan ibn Hussein
Heng Jiang
Henry Morgenthau Sr.
Hussein ibn Ali
Isabel I
Jefferson Davis
John VII and Ferdinand IV
John Sedgwick and Samantha Greenburg
Jonathan Bedford
Jonathan Wamsley
Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
Juan III and Carlos IX
Juan IV
Jurcek Krulik
Kendrick Arneson
Kian Hawkins
Kings of Mesopotamia
L. Frank Baum and Michaela Harris
Lal Sita
Leonardo Márquez
Leonard Wood & Nelson R. Doner
Leopold III of Belgium
Leopold III of Hungary
Louis Brandeis
Lucia I
Luis II
Manuel II
Manuel III
Maximo Gómez
Milan I
Milos I
Mirko I
Napoleon IV
Nicholas II of Russia
Nikola Tesla
Otto von Bismarck and John Wilkes Booth
Paul von Hindenburg and Samuel Tilden
Porfirio Díaz
Robert Gould Shaw
Robert Lincoln Wilcox
Robert Todd Lincoln
Robi Vencel Ignacz
Rutherford B. Hayes and Sitting Bull
Ryota Hayashi
Samuel J. Randall
Sarah Caron
Sean O'Grady
Shane Bayard
Sharma Preeti
Sidney Hoskins
Slamet Wahyu
Susan B. Anthony
Theodore Roosevelt
Two First Kings of Modern Day Norway
Vicente Saturnino
Victor I of United Kingdom
Wilhelm II of Germany
William Howard Taft
William Jennings Bryan
William McKinley
William S. Lincoln
Woodrow Wilson
Zhou Dewei

Last edited:
Weapon Profile: Winchester M1938 Machine Pistol
I'm back with another U.S. firearm, as well as some insight into the military history of the U.S., let me know what you think (and yeah, it's a boring choice :p)

carabina-m1a1-usa-1941-replica-historica.jpg

Name: Winchester M1938 Machine Pistol
Designer: Winchester Armament Company
Type: Gas-operated short-stroke rotating bolt
Caliber: .35-35 Light Centerfire
Feed System: 15- and 30-round box magazines
Adopted: 1941
Notes: Lessons learned from the Great War showed the U.S. military establishment that there existed a place for a small-caliber automatic weapon (largely through experiences with Prussian troops' usage of automatic pistol-caliber weapons that could dispense high volumes of fire at short range). Furthermore, the M1910 service revolver was shown to be less than effective as a self-defense weapon at any distance beyond essentially point-blank range. With this in mind, the Winchester company decided to design a weapon that could fill both roles, and in 1939 a committee headed by Georgia's E. L. Travers resulted in the creation of the M1938 Machine Pistol.

Developed during the same period as the M1944 Winchester Rifle, the fact that it also ostensibly would replace large numbers of handgun stocks, as well as serve as a non-front line weapon for support troops, saw its adoption three years before the company's primary rifle. Interestingly, its mode of operation and overall look seemingly influenced the design of the M1956 Vicario; the fact that Nelson Vicario started designing firearms while working for Winchester was probably an influence on his design philosophy. The ammunition choice picked for the M1938 stemmed from a civilian small-game cartridge that could produce lethal wounds beyond 200 yards, and be easy to aim and shoot for most non-infantry troops at and past 100 yards while offering a cyclic rate of 800 rounds per minute[1]. Interestingly, its designation indicated a shift in U.S. ordnance terminology away from including powder grainage for a given cartridge.

Although intended as a support soldier's weapon (to include issuance of a semi-automatic only E1 modification for rear-line usage), the M1938 earned a special place in U.S. military history as the favored weapon for two very much combat-oriented units; the U.S.M.C. Commando Battalion[2], and the U.S. Army's "Dirty 3rd" Partisan Scout Unit[3]. The kind of combat that took place during the South American War very often took place in infantry terms at under 300 yards; while the War Department did consider that the maximum practical range for infantry combat in general, the M1938 was able to inflict lethal effect at the outside of that given limit, if not quite as effective as the M1944 for the same given distance. In any case, lessons learned from that campaign resulted in amalgamation of features from the M1938 into Vicario's rifle while also shifting back to issuing conventional pistols for close-range self defense, culminating in the M1950 Liberator. The M1938 Machine Pistol would be replaced in regular Army service as a self-defense weapon by the Vicario rifle, but continued as a mainstay of the State Militias until 1985.

[1] "But FleetMac", you say, "the OTL M-1 was semiautomatic only!" Well, the original carbine was meant to have select-fire capability from the start, but that requirement was dropped early (given that the Thompson submachine gun was in standard use, it was arguably redundant). ITTL, there is no Thompson nor any other submachine gun in standard issue for the American military, and thus TTL's "Carbine" gets select-fire capability.

[2] The 1st Marine Division, starting in 1932, began looking into developing a raiding unit within the Division that would focus on capturing or destroying key enemy emplacements along and adjacent to a given landing zone during the opening stages of an amphibious assault (based on shock troop tactics developed in the Great War and lessons learned from the costly Brittany landings). Operation Hippo would see this Commando Battalion tasked with taking a prominent stronghold on the Peruvian-held Morro de Arica, a nest of artillery emplacements and machine-gun bunkers atop a steep beach-side hill that offered a wide field of view north and south along the shoreline of the city. Rather than trying to flank the Morro (and risk traipsing over minefields on its flanks assessed to be in place by reconnoitering Naval aviation days before the landings), it was decided to have the Battalion's 2nd Company scale the front of the Morro using mortar-deployed grappling hooks at pre-dawn on 15 November and take the summit at close quarters. While the approach to the Morro went mostly undetected thanks to the Commandos' approach via submarine-deployed rafts, the 160-man team of Marines and Sailors did suffer considerable casualties during the scaling phase from grenade and sniper fire. Nonetheless, by 0845 the summit had been taken, and used by the Commandos to direct naval gunfire and air strikes on the main Bolivian forces arrayed behind and within the city of Arica proper, aiding the rapid capture of the city by U.S.M.C. and Mexican Naval Infantry forces. The Taking of the Summit (including planting the twin American and Chilean flags atop the primary command bunker), and the five Medals of Honor issued to participants in the raid, stand as a testament to the fighting prowess of the nascent Marine Commando (MaCo) community and the United States Marine Corps in general.

[3] Independently but largely drawing from similar lessons as the Marine Commandos, the U.S. Army had looked into developing an advance scouting and raiding force for usage behind enemy lines in preparation for a main assaulting force to exploit, leading to the establishment of the 3rd Partisan Scout Unit. Adding to this melange of experience and concepts was the combat record of the Santo Domingan San Cristobal Volunteers in French Guiana; being a multi-lingual force at the outset, and intimately familiar with fighting in jungles and adverse environments, lent themselves well to establishing cadre for a scouting and raiding unit away from reliable resupply or outside support (up to half of the PSU's inital manpower came from the Caribbean in general, and a third from the San Cristobal Volunteers in particular). Lastly, a surprising number of Native American volunteers had gotten wind of the unit during its five-year stand-up period (arguably a breach of OPSEC by modern standards, if for the right reasons), and by the time combat was met against the Peruvian-Bolivian menace, approximately one in ten PSU troopers were from the Nations. This diversity in experience and outlooks paid dividends during Operation Karma, where the 200-man 3rd Partisans had infiltrated the back-country of the Tumbes region of Peru from allied Ecuador by night on 10 October, and set about surveying Peruvian troop movements and booby-trapping roads, rail lines, and telecommunications wires to spread general disarray in support of the Free Americas offensive. While part of the offensive had bogged down after 6 November, the Partisans kept themselves busy harassing couriers and logistics shipments inland of the main combat zone. This experience in guerrilla warfare, augmented by operating alongside Ecuadorian militamen and Colombian Lancero troops penetrating the Peruvian rear, led to the development of the U.S. Special Operations community as we understand it today.

Last edited: