The Union Forever: A TL

Wow, excellent comments people. It will take a while to respond to them all so please give me a minute.

Last edited:
Welp, looks like the IEF's going to ring in the new year with chaos. I think we've finally hit the tipping point into outright civil war. With the assassination the security services are going to hugely overreact, and coupled with the cancellation of elections, the whole crisis is going to boil over. I can see conspiracy theorists down the line claiming that Mihoylev was assassinated in a false flag move by the Motherland party or even the Crown as a pretext to clamp down.

Question: is it still a conspiracy if it's widely believed?

Here I was thinking the Technocrats might have inspired it, just so they can throw the IEF into chaos and reclaim Manchuria, if not more.

Oh, that assassin pisses me off. If only he'd waited for Mihalyov to be defeated!

I will discuss this in more detail during future updates. Needless to say there are a number of theories regarding Mihoylve's assassination. Was it a false flag ploy by the Motherland Party? The political opposition? Was it a plot by Polish separatists? Organized Crime perhaps? Was it sponsored by the Technocratic Union?

How will the Germans and the AES respond to an IEF Civil War?

Good questions. Germany and by extension the AES are extremely concerned as this crisis is happening on their doorstep. Generally speaking the AES and the Orthodox Council have experienced good, if not necessarily warm, relations over the past several decades so most in the German government want the whole situation to blow over. Others however might view this as an opportunity to expand German influence into Eastern Europe. I will cover the AES and other power bloc's reaction in more detail to the crisis in future updates.

Hopefully victims of Renkin's Disease not meet similar prejudice as OTL victims of AIDS.

What is Renkin's Disease named after? It is obviously named after someone named Renkin, and it is similar to OTL AIDS.

Renkin's Disease is named after Gerard Renkin the Belgian doctor who first identified the disease in 1979. Renkin's is not tied as closely to homosexuality as it was in OTL. So I would say the prejudice is less towards victims.

World Map: 2000
Looks like we have atl aids now. Hopefully nobody denies it exists for a decade. Speaking of which, this America seems more progressive than iotl, so what is the status of LGBTQ rights?

Any equivalent to y2k in this world?

Could we get a 2000 map? :p

Good question regarding LGBTQ rights. I haven't really touched on that yet in the TL so I am going to defer until I can include it in a proper update. What are your thoughts?

Yes, there was an analogue to Y2K known as 2KCA (2000 Computer Anomaly). As in OTL it caused only a few minor glitches. Unlike OTL it wasn't nearly as big of a deal and considerably less money was spent trying to fix it.

And see below for the map. Note that it contains the updated Canadian provincial boundaries. Cheers!

2000.png

It noticed there is no Malaysia, there is Brunei, Sarawak and Mainland Malaysia.

Also, I can't tell if East Timor exists or not. The colour is too close.

The IEF is going to explode fairly soon. The Motherland party is looking quite Putinist with the recent developments, and the nationalistic impulses of the various ethnic groups are only getting stronger. I would bet that the Technate of China is deliberately stoking violence within the IEF. When civil war erupts, they invade and get Siberia and Manchuria while the Imperial forces are too distracted in Poland, Finland, and the other western holdings.

The IEF is going to explode fairly soon. The Motherland party is looking quite Putinist with the recent developments, and the nationalistic impulses of the various ethnic groups are only getting stronger. I would bet that the Technate of China is deliberately stoking violence within the IEF. When civil war erupts, they invade and get Siberia and Manchuria while the Imperial forces are too distracted in Poland, Finland, and the other western holdings.
The IEF is not necessarily doomed. It can survive.

Hopefully we don't see a global war over this (would it be round 3? I suppose the bit in Asia wasn't exactly a world war, but close enough).

The IEF is not necessarily doomed. It can survive.
Didn't say it wouldn't survive, but it'll lose Poland for sure, and probably some of the Caucasus and Central Asian areas. Plus, Manchuria and a huge chunk of Siberia if the Technate invades as I think it will. In that case I think the Germans and their allies will come to Russia's aid.

Didn't say it wouldn't survive, but it'll lose Poland for sure, and probably some of the Caucasus and Central Asian areas. Plus, Manchuria and a huge chunk of Siberia if the Technate invades as I think it will. In that case I think the Germans and their allies will come to Russia's aid.
Why would Poland be lost if the Germans were fully on board with helping the IEF in case a civil war occurs? Would they not oppose an independent Poland?

It noticed there is no Malaysia, there is Brunei, Sarawak and Mainland Malaysia.

Also, I can't tell if East Timor exists or not. The colour is too close.

East Timor, if I remember correctly, is independent, but the Portuguese king is the official head of state.

Ryan

Donor
Plus, Manchuria and a huge chunk of Siberia if the Technate invades as I think it will.

I agree with Manchuria and I could see them trying to take tuva, Mongolia, Xinjiang in the chaos as they're historically Chinese, but why Siberia? is full of Russians and is a cold wasteland.