The Union Forever: A TL

Well for IL I'd guess the two Lincolns. Georgia would definitely have Leroy Conner. CT I think would have Roger Sherman and John Sedgewick, and for Cuba one would definitely be Jose Marti.

I agree except for maybe Jose Marti. Being born in 1853 he is likey a different person in our TL. He would be a young man during the TL's Spanish American War. He could still be a revolutionary. Would he be pro-American though?

Last edited:
Whenever you post something about the ICP (Indonesian Congress Party), I can't help but think of the Insane Clown Posse.

This is one of my favorite timelines. Great job MacGregor!

I agree except for maybe Jose Marti. Being born in 1853 he is likey a different person in our TL. He would be a young man during the TL's Spanish American War. He could still be a revolutionary. Would he be pro-American though?

Yeah, makes sense. Forgot this Spanish-American War was far earlier than in OTL.

On second thought I'd have Carlos Manuel de Céspedes as one of the statues

Whenever you post something about the ICP (Indonesian Congress Party), I can't help but think of the Insane Clown Posse.

This is one of my favorite timelines. Great job MacGregor!

Thanks for the support GamingWeasel. Let me know if you have any questions or requests.

Yeah, makes sense. Forgot this Spanish-American War was far earlier than in OTL.

On second thought I'd have Carlos Manuel de Céspedes as one of the statues

Cespedes could very well be one of those statues. I don't know exactly what his role would be ITTL. Someone should do a profile on him. Cheers!

Unitary State and Federation Map: 1993
I can see the Spanish republic being a federation, but I'm not sure why France would be.

Also, weren't Syria and Serbia federations?

I also suggest Goa and Nigeria be federations.

Serbia is not a federation, much to the chagrin of the Bosniaks. Goa isn't a federation, as it is to small. Syria despite having a fair deal of provincial autonomy is actually still a unitary state. I agree about Nigeria and the Spanish Republic. Lets make them federations.

Ok, so here is the updated map. Keep in mind that some nations are listed as unitary states even though they resemble federations in some ways. For example Syria has considerable provincial autonomy. Portugal has a number of autonomous regions but is technically not a federation. Denmark and Iceland are in personal union but have individual governments. Let me know if y'all see any issues and I will make the changes.

1994 Federation or Unitary State.png

Last edited:
Carlos Manuel de Cespedes Del Castillo(1819-1890)

Gubanatorial portrait of de Cespedes, c.1880.

Carlos Manuel de Cespedes del Castillo was born on April 18th, 1819 to a plantation owner and his wife. After graduating from college in Spain, as was the custom at the time, he bought his own plantation on his return. On June 18th, 1868, Cespedes gave the Grito de Yara (Cry of Yara) and, along with his former slaves and others revolted against the Spanish Colonial Authorities. Thanks to American shipments of weapons he managed to stave off defeat long enough for the Americans, under President Arthur I. Boreman, to intervene.

After the war, de Cespedes managed to convince the Americans to appoint him Territorial Governor. While Democrats were against this, President Boreman was able to get enough votes to put him in charge. After serving one term, de Cespedes retired. Carlos Manuel de Cespedes del Castillo died on June 1st, 1890, at age 71.

Last edited:
Serbia is not a federation, much to the chagrin of the Bosniaks. Goa isn't a federation, as it is to small. Syria despite having a fair deal of provincial autonomy is actually still a unitary state. I agree about Nigeria and the Spanish Republic. Lets make them federations.

Ok, so here is the updated map. Keep in mind that some nations are listed as unitary states even though they resemble federations in some ways. For example Syria has considerable provincial autonomy. Portugal has a number of autonomous regions but is technically not a federation. Denmark and Iceland are in personal union but have individual governments. Let me know if y'all see any issues and I will make the changes.

Madras could be federation due its multinational character.

Carlos Manuel de Cespedes del Castillo was born on April 18th, 1819 to a plantation owner and his wife. After graduating from college in Spain, as was the custom at the time, he bought his own plantation on his return. On October 10th, 1868, Cespedes gave the Grito de Yara (Cry of Yara) and, along with his former slaves and others revolted against the Spanish Colonial Authorities. Thanks to American shipments of weapons he managed to stave off defeat long enough for the Americans, under President Arthur I. Boreman, to intervene.

After the war, de Cespedes managed to convince the Americans to appoint him Territorial Governor. While Democrats were against this, President Boreman was able to get enough votes to put him in charge. After serving one term, de Cespedes retired. Carlos Manuel de Cespedes del Castillo died on June 1st, 1890, at age 71.

Sounds like he can be the Sam Houston of the state of Cuba. Definitely one of Cuba's statuary hall honorees.

Madras could be federation due its multinational character.

Madras certainly could be but as it encompasses most of the old Madras Presidency it remains a unitary state despite the people's native languages being split between Telugu, Tamil, Kannada and Malayalam. Come to think of it, I imagine that English is probably used for most official business while in the post-war Indian Republic, Hindi has become the lingua franca.

Carlos Manuel de Cespedes del Castillo was born on April 18th, 1819 to a plantation owner and his wife. After graduating from college in Spain, as was the custom at the time, he bought his own plantation on his return. On October 10th, 1868, Cespedes gave the Grito de Yara (Cry of Yara) and, along with his former slaves and others revolted against the Spanish Colonial Authorities. Thanks to American shipments of weapons he managed to stave off defeat long enough for the Americans, under President Arthur I. Boreman, to intervene.

Sounds like he can be the Sam Houston of the state of Cuba. Definitely one of Cuba's statuary hall honorees.

I love it but we should change the date for the start of the Cry of Yara. It would almost certainly be different than OTL. Also, does anybody know what Cespedes feelings were towards the USA? Would he be ok with the U.S. annexing Cuba? If not we could have him die during the rebellion and still be a state hero. If my memory serves me, by the time the U.S. and Spain went to war ITTL most of the Cuban rebel leaders had already been killed or captured. This made it easier for the Americans to politically absorb the island.

Madras certainly could be but as it encompasses most of the old Madras Presidency it remains a unitary state despite the people's native languages being split between Telugu, Tamil, Kannada and Malayalam. Come to think of it, I imagine that English is probably used for most official business while in the post-war Indian Republic, Hindi has become the lingua franca.

English is seemingly lingua franca of Madras when any native language not be majority. Probably English is language of state level administration, media, education and business.

Hindi is seemingly most common language of India. I don't remember was Nanda's regime Hindi nationalist but when India ITTL is mainly Hindi majority anyway, it is easy get Hindi as lingua franca.

English is seemingly lingua franca of Madras when any native language not be majority. Probably English is language of state level administration, media, education and business.

Hindi is seemingly most common language of India. I don't remember was Nanda's regime Hindi nationalist but when India ITTL is mainly Hindi majority anyway, it is easy get Hindi as lingua franca.

Nanda's regime was ultranationalist and anticolonial (European colonialism) but wasn't Hindu nationalist. They actually favored the use of English for practical reasons. However, the Indian Republic is much smaller than Nanda's United Republic of India and it might make more sense for them to favor Hindi.

Last edited:
How about this for a flag for British Congo? The four X shapes are symbols representing cast copper ingots that were used as currency during the 19th and early 20th centuries. They have since become a symbol of the region.

Flag of British Congo.png

How about this for a flag for British Congo? The four X shapes are symbols representing cast copper ingots that were used as currency during the 19th and early 20th centuries. They have since become a symbol of the region.

I think it's also a pretty good homage to the old Kongo Kingdom, since one of one such cross was its flag.

Foreign and Domestic Developments

7K2gZuI.png

Mond Vorposten Ein during initial construction​

In January, Germany’s Imperial Space and Aeronautics Commission opened Mond Vorposten Ein humanity's first lunar base. Located at Spalding crater near the moon’s south pole, its crew of two astronauts would serve nine-month tours living and working on the lunar surface. Many experts viewed this as a trial run for an eventual manned mission to Mars.

On February 22, a new synthetic element was created for the first time at the Wright-Hoggard laboratory in Utah. With an atomic number of 112, the heavily radioactive element was produced by firing accelerated zinc-70 nuclei at a target made of lead-208 nuclei in a heavy ion accelerator. Due to its date of discovery, the element was named Washingtonium in honor of George Washington’s birthday.

In June, Venezuela joined the League of American Republics. In the years since its defeat during the Asia-Pacific War, Venezuela did an admirable job rebuilding its economy and establishing a robust democracy. During the official ceremony at LAR headquarters in Panama City, Venezuelan President Isaias Bastidas remarked that “the home of Simon Bolivar is proud to stand united with a free, prosperous, and peaceful Americas.”

On August 30, a violent border clash erupted between the Kingdom of Siam and the Technate of Vietnam in the Annamese Mountains resulting in 57 fatalities. Siamese monarch Rama X denounced the incident as yet another provocation by Technocratic Union forces, whom he also blamed for backing antigovernment guerrillas inside of Siam. The Community of South Asian Nations and the United States stepped up aid to Siam to bolster their armed forces.

During the summer, Rajesh Singh the Maharaja of Kashmir and Jammu agreed to relax controls on the press and freedom of speech inside his isolated mountain kingdom. This came after days of rioting in the capital city of Srinagar following the closure of several newspapers critical of the monarchy.

In the United States, Congress approved the creation of a new federal holiday in November, known popularly as Democracy Day. Held on election day, it was created in an effort to increase voter participation.

As established during the 1984 Vienna Peace Conference, a referendum on the political status of the Dominion of the Congo was held in the fall. As expected, pro-independence factions carried the day creating the Congo Republic. Temporarily united under the umbrella organization, the Democratic Congolese Coalition, the various political parties set up a new government in Leopoldville. News that the Congo had finally broken free from Belgium was generally applauded abroad except in the Association of European States where the episode opened old wounds of the 1976-1984 Congolese War.

TbVWMcr.png

Flag of the Congo Republic​

Last edited:
During the official ceremony at LAR headquarters in Panama City, Venezuelan President Isais Bastidas remarked that “the home of Simon Bolivar is proud to stand united with a free, prosperous, and peaceful Americas.”
I think there's a small typo. I think where it is Isais, it should be Isaías.

Keep it up, Mac Gregor!:)

In the United States, Congress approved the creation of a new federal holiday in November, known popularly as Democracy Day. Held on election day, it was created in an effort to increase voter participation.
That's awesome.

In January, Germany’s Imperial Space and Aeronautics Commission opened Mond Vorposten Ein humanity's first lunar base. Located at Spalding crater near the moon’s south pole, its crew of two astronauts would serve nine-month tours living and working on the lunar surface. Many experts viewed this as a trial run for an eventual manned mission to Mars.

On February 22, a new synthetic element was created for the first time at the Wright-Hoggard laboratory in Utah. With an atomic number of 112, the heavily radioactive element was produced by firing accelerated zinc-70 nuclei at a target made of lead-208 nuclei in a heavy ion accelerator. Due to its date of discovery, the element was named Washingtonium in honor of George Washington’s birthday.

In June, Venezuela joined the League of American Republics. In the years since its defeat during the Asia-Pacific War, Venezuela did an admirable job rebuilding its economy and establishing a robust democracy. During the official ceremony at LAR headquarters in Panama City, Venezuelan President Isaias Bastidas remarked that “the home of Simon Bolivar is proud to stand united with a free, prosperous, and peaceful Americas.”

So are those.

On August 30, a violent border clash erupted between the Kingdom of Siam and the Technate of Vietnam in the Annamese Mountains resulting in 57 fatalities. Siamese monarch Rama X denounced the incident as yet another provocation by Technocratic Union forces, whom he also blamed for backing antigovernment guerrillas inside of Siam. The Community of South Asian Nations and the United States stepped up aid to Siam to bolster their armed forces.

This less so.