The Union Forever: A TL

Looks like China's entrance into the war is actually paying off; they've already kicked Laos clean out of the fight AND gotten Siam actively on the Commonwealth and Co.'s side of the war. I'm actually quite impressed with the Technate already, since they also seem to be winning aerial superiority (or, at least, parity) over the mainland in the face of Japanese air power. I do have to wonder what to make of Korea, given China's entrance in the war. Also, while I do admit that China joining the fight might be a case of "the cure's worse than the disease" after it's said and done (the Commonwealth accepting local Chinese hegemony as a condition of their alliance), can I admit that the idea of a British Empire-Chinese Technate alliance in the war is pretty badass?

Also, good on the ANZAC Airborne's winnage in Papua, as well as the advances in Malaya!

Looking good for Commonwealth Alliance :)

I wonder what is happening in India?

Good question. The Commonwealth has to keep pressure up on both major parties in the Compact. While Japan might be able to draw more allies into the war, India likely won't. Venezuela might, though.

Looks like China's entrance into the war is actually paying off; they've already kicked Laos clean out of the fight AND gotten Siam actively on the Commonwealth and Co.'s side of the war. I'm actually quite impressed with the Technate already, since they also seem to be winning aerial superiority (or, at least, parity) over the mainland in the face of Japanese air power. I do have to wonder what to make of Korea, given China's entrance in the war. Also, while I do admit that China joining the fight might be a case of "the cure's worse than the disease" after it's said and done (the Commonwealth accepting local Chinese hegemony as a condition of their alliance), can I admit that the idea of a British Empire-Chinese Technate alliance in the war is pretty badass?

Also, good on the ANZAC Airborne's winnage in Papua, as well as the advances in Malaya!

Indeed, China is proving to be of enormous help to the war effort.

I will talk more about Korea later but as of 1977, millions of Koreans are serving as laborers and soldiers in the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy. However, the mounting casualties are creating widespread antiwar sentiment. Pro-independence groups in Korea have conducted some limited sabotage against the war effort.

I like the Commonwealth-Technate alliance as well.

Asia-Pacific War: Jul - Dec 1977 Part 2
India and the Americas

July – December 1977

BE022697.jpg

URI troops outside of Bangalore
August, 1977​

The Relief of Bangalore

On July 18, Prime Minister Vaughan made the difficult decision to recall Field Marshal MacDougal to London to serve as deputy to Commonwealth Chief of Staff Silas Michaelson. While MacDougal had proved himself a master of organization and logistics, the failure to counterattack and break through to the besieged garrison at Bangalore ultimately cost him his job. He would be replaced by the aggressive commander of the British Second Army, Marion Fitzpatrick. On August 2, the Commonwealth began Operation Isolde to relieve the Bangalore pocket. At the vanguard of the attack was the new AV33 Marlborough cataphract which with a 4.5 inch gun could knock out the heaviest Indian armored vehicles. After 19 days of tenacious fighting, Commonwealth forces reestablished contact with Bangalore’s defenders under Madrasian General Somdev Anand. For the next four months, Field Marshal Fitzpatrick regained substantial ground from the overextended Indians, recapturing Mysore on December 6. By January, URI resistance stiffened enough to stop the advance.

Burma

During the last half of 1977, Technate troops and Burmese resistance forces under General Khin Hlaing made steady progress against their Compact adversaries. The 2nd and 4th Royal Commando Regiments supported by elements of the Southern Fleet stepped up their raids on the coast, stretching the already overtaxed enemy dangerously thin. Furthermore, guerrilla activity in occupied Bengal and Assam continued to tie down large numbers of URI troops that were desperately needed elsewhere. Commander of URI forces in the east General Saral Narang warned Indian Leader Harshad Nanda that if reinforcements and supplies were not sent soon Burma could not be held.

Second Battle of Trinidad

Having assembled and trained his multinational force for some five months, Lieutenant General Brayden Huddleson believed the time was right to renew the fight against the Venezuelans. On September 10, simultaneous landings occurred on Tabago and Trinidad. The Tabago landing went well enough and the largely Jamaican and Canadian force gained control of the island’s tiny capital of Scarborough by the end of the day. Trinidad proved much harder to capture. The antiquated and improvised array of landing craft proved unwieldy, resulting in several collisions. Venezuelan aircraft inflicted terrible damage on the Commonwealth armada. Numerous vessels were lost or damaged and the HMIS Dublin was forced to beach herself to prevent from sinking. The Portuguese aircraft carrier NRP Vasco da Gama’s journey to join the Far Eastern Fleet was diverted to Trinidad in order to provide additional air support. An operation that was planned to take no longer than three days ended up lasting two weeks. Trinidad was finally deemed secure on September 24 after a battalion of Nigerian troops captured the last enemy stronghold at Point Fortin. Having suffered nearly 18,500 casualties, Huddleson realized that many changes would need to be made before a landing on the South American continent was attempted.

images

Venezuelan airstrikes on the Commonwealth beachhead
Trinidad
September, 1977​

Last edited:
Good update, Mac Gregor!:)
The Portuguese aircraft carrier NRP Vasco de Gama’s journey to join the Far Eastern Fleet was diverted to Trinidad in order to provide much need additional air support.
I have one small correction to suggest, it should be Vasco da Gama.

Ditto! And finally Portugal gets their licks in properly as well, on top of Canada/Jamaica/Nigeria's contributions in retaking the Big Isle. Here's hoping the high butcher's bill can help impart a few valuable lessons to the Commonwealth in the realm of amphibious assaults.

*applause* C'mon, win, Commonwealth, win :D

Fuck that.
Plot twist: Russia And Friends launch a massive offensive against China out of nowhere. Reasons unclear. Japan and Russia sign a mutual non-aggression pact for any forces in China. Dual curbstomp ensues.
US decides the war in Asia actually doesn't look very appealing at all and decides to only worry about Venezuela if anything.

*applause* C'mon, win, Commonwealth, win :D

Fuck that.
Plot twist: Russia And Friends launch a massive offensive against China out of nowhere. Reasons unclear. Japan and Russia sign a mutual non-aggression pact for any forces in China. Dual curbstomp ensues.
US decides the war in Asia actually doesn't look very appealing at all and decides to only worry about Venezuela if anything.

We will have to just wait and see. :D