The Union Forever: A TL

Fleet size - no really good idea, but I'm assuming that given the lack of a major worldwide war until now ITTL that aircraft carriers aren't A Thing like they became during OTL WW2 yet?

It is smaller. What do you think is an appropriate size?

It's hard to say, but I'd guess only a bit larger than our OTL military (though obviously more advanced) with maybe an emphasis on air superiority, but with a large navy since the US has so many more overseas possessions.

I have been doing some thinking. ITTL I don't think they would use the name "Papua New Guinea" as its was an OTL merger of OTL's Papua territory with the once German colony of New Guinea after WWI. ITTL the northern part was a French colony. Therefore which do y'all favor....

1) Papua
2) New Guinea
3) British Papua/New Guinea
4) Eastern Papua/New Guinea
5) Australian Papua/New Guinea

or something else?

How about naming the northern part Novelle Bretagne after the biggest island there, so it would be Papua New Breton after the merge?

Sweet! I do have to wonder just how much deep crap British India is in at this time, given how they've been mostly on the defensive against the Japanese and Indians up until this point.

Asia-Pacific War: Indian Front Aug-Nov 1976
The Indian Front

August 18-November 4, 1976

Battle of Vijayawada

After the fall of such important cities as Hyderabad and Vishakhapatnam, the Commonwealth Commander in Chief in India, Field Marshal Reginald MacDougal, decided to make a stand at Vijayawada, an important road and rail junction, in order to allow Commonwealth forces and civilians time to flee south of the Krishna River. On September 3, URI cataphracts supported by waves of infantry made their first assault on the city. British and Madrasian anti-armor rockets inflicted heavy losses but after nearly 36 hours of continuous fighting in the driving monsoon rains, the city finally fell. Casualties were estimated at over 10,000 for both sides, not including civilians. This delaying action did however accomplish its purpose and MacDougal was able to withdraw in good order.

Reinforcements

images

British Valkyrie Attack Helicopter in action near Tumkur​

Starting in late August, Commonwealth reinforcements began to land in strength on the subcontinent. Elements of the 1st Infantry Division (South Africa) were the first to arrive followed by units from East Africa, Madagascar, and the 25th Canadian cataphract brigade. The government of Madras under Prime Minister Thakur Diwan also began a massive conscription campaign to bolster its numbers, but shortages of weapons and supplies hampered efforts. The most significant addition was arguably the arrival of the first squadron of Valkyrie attack helicopters from Britain. The Valkyries proved especially effective against URI cataphracts but were vulnerable to ground fire. The strain of modern warfare stretched logistics on both sides to the limit with expenditures of fuel and ammunition far exceeding prewar expectations.

The War at Sea

While the Commonwealth enjoyed naval superiority from the start of the war, the URI did attempt to whittle away their strength through submarine and aerial attacks. Despite the loss of a few ships, the British Southern Fleet under Admiral Sir Roderick Chatfield was bolstered by vessels from the dominions, Portugal, and the Home and Atlantic Fleets. URI aircraft prevented the Royal Navy from approaching close to the shore in most cases, but a distant blockade was soon put in place. URI Leader Nanda planned to crush the remaining Commonwealth forces in the south before the blockade could affect the war effort. By the end of October, the small URI Navy had lost over a dozen ships and was forced to stay in port or cling to the coast.

The Commonwealth Retreats

Despite limited success at Vijayawada and at sea, the overall military situation on the subcontinent continued to deteriorate throughout October. Commonwealth troops were forced by superior URI numbers to fall back further and further south. By early November, the front line was just north of the key cities of Mysore, Bangalore, and Madras. As such, these cities were choked with refugees fleeing the fighting and were under intense bombardment by URI rockets and bombers. Soldiers continued to pore in from the rest of the Commonwealth, but were offset by heavy losses. As Field Marshal MacDougal made preparations to strengthen his defensive line he had no illusions about the seriousness of the situation. Remaking to his chief of staff, MacDougal is reported to have said “it may soon be necessary to draw up contingency plans for withdrawing to Ceylon… or even Africa.”

attachment.php

Position of the Frontlines​

Last edited:
Great update Mac! It's looking like the war is turning into a gigantic Tet Offensive already from the start. At least they don't have to deal with guerrillas...yet. And then there's the Commonwealth superiority over the URI at sea (not to mention new air warfare capabilities the the Valkyries).

Madras should be easy to hold with Commonwealth superiority at sea, but the inland fighting is going to be fairly grinding attrition in bad conditions, something the Commonwealth is ill able to deal with I'd imagine.

Great update!

If they retreat to Ceylon the Commonwealth should be able to defend it. What's going on up in Burma?

I have a feeling the fact that nuclear weapons were mentioned in the first update of the war might be significant.

Any US response? I'd love to see the response of the rest of the world, as well.