The Union Forever: A TL

Hey everyone, I am currently working on the next updates. Does anybody know where to find a good and large map of India so I can show troop movements? The QBAM I have is to small for my purposes.

Hey everyone, I am currently working on the next updates. Does anybody know where to find a good and large map of India so I can show troop movements? The QBAM I have is to small for my purposes.

Do you want a topographical map, or just any ol' one that's as large as possible?

I would just go to Google Image Search and set the image size to large, then find one that suits you.

Do you want a topographical map, or just any ol' one that's as large as possible?

I would just go to Google Image Search and set the image size to large, then find one that suits you.

It doesn't need to be topographic, but preferably would have rivers and major cities. The issue is a map that has the TL's borders I don't really have the skills to create one. It's hard to write the Indian front without a map to go off of.

Asia-Pacific War: Red Sun Rising
Red Sun Rising

The South Pacific:

August 18-October 14, 1976

800px-War_flag_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army.svg.png

War Flag of the Imperial Japanese Army​

As Japanese troops plodded down the Malay Peninsula, Prime Minister Hayashi directed the Imperial Army and Navy to attack a slew of Commonwealth possessions in the South Pacific. With Commonwealth assets already stretched dangerously thin in India, few forces could be spared to contest the multipronged Japanese advance. Most of the Royal Navy’s Far East Fleet was either bottled up in Hong Kong or ordered to withdraw to the Indian Ocean or Australia, but not after suffering the loss of two frigates and the cruiser HMS Glasgow.

Northern Borneo

On August 21, after taking the isolated island of Palau, Japan launched a massive air and naval invasion of northern Borneo. Hayashi’s intentions were easy to discern as the Japanese Empire needed to secure the island's lucrative resources such as oil and rubber. The small British protectorate of Brunei fell quickly after Japanese helicopter borne troops stormed the royal palace and captured Brunei’s elderly leader Sultan Muhyiddin II. The neighboring territory of the Kingdom of Sarawak however would prove a more difficult nut to crack. Led by Alastair of Sarawak the latest “White Rajah” of the ruling Brooke dynasty, the tiny Sarawak army took to the jungle interior to wage a guerrilla war against the Japanese occupiers. As the war progressed, Alastair would earn the nom de guerre of Howaitotaiga “White Tiger” from the Japanese along with a sizable bounty on his head for his daring exploits.

_41047087_02_adler.jpg

Alastair of Sarawak (middle) in commando uniform
September, 1976

Papua

In early September, Japanese forces made hotly contested landings at Wewak and Port Edward on the northern coast of Papua. The Royal Australian Air Force did their best to intercept the invaders but Japanese carrier based jets managed to win local air superiority. By mid-October, roughly 40,000 Japanese troops had made it ashore. On the southern portion of the island, Commonwealth forces under Australian Lieutenant General Sir Peter Carter began to mass for what would surely be a horrific fight in the island’s jungles and central highlands.

The Bonaparte Archipelago and the Solomon Islands

Following soon after the landings on New Guinea, Japan swiftly captured the Bonaparte Archipelago. The toughest resistance was by Australian forces on the island of New Britain, which inflicted over 4,000 Japanese casualties despite being hopelessly outnumbered. To the east, the lightly defended Australian territory of the Solomon Islands was evacuated before Japanese forces arrived. Attempting to cover their withdraw the Commonwealth scored one of its rare success during this period on October 1, when it severely damaged the Japanese aircraft carrier Kochi with a missile strike from a New Zealand cruiser during the indecisive Battle of the Solomon Sea.

Hong Kong and Macau

Throughout these difficult times, the British and Portuguese outposts of Hong Kong and Macau suffered multiple bombing raids and were essentially besieged by prowling Japanese submarines. Despite initial fears, it soon became apparent that the Japanese were not going to attempt to capture these cities, rightly believing that it would provoke Chinese intervention. Never the less, the two cities were devastated by the resulting fires and soon found themselves running dangerously low on antiaircraft missiles.

Last edited:
It doesn't need to be topographic, but preferably would have rivers and major cities. The issue is a map that has the TL's borders I don't really have the skills to create one. It's hard to write the Indian front without a map to go off of.

Does THIS work for you, or is it still not big enough?

Anyway, nice update! The Royal Navy didn't exactly have a great start, they'll have to do something eventually if they wanna have a solid chance of controlling the seas (hopefully without emptying the cupboard elsewhere).

Including the Kingdom of Sarawak is awesome enough on its own, but also having the "White Rajah" being TTL's equivalent of a Lawrence of Arabia just puts it over the top! Does that mean possible epic movies down the road over the war effort of Alistair in SE Asia?

Meanwhile, Australia isn't doing too well either in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands, what with the Japanese fleet owning the skies and so many troops being involved. I like the reference to a missile being launched by a Kiwi cruiser sinking one of those carriers. What kind of tech level relative to OTL are we talking about here, anyway? If nothing else, I'm picturing a sorta-Styx missile in terms of capability, which (given the lack of WWII) should still be fairly easy to develop here if the development of microprocessors and non-vacuum tube-based circuitry are still anywhere near OTL.

And Hong Kong and Macau seem to be in a tight spot, beset on all sides and running out of defensive weaponry. Maybe this could be the British Empire/Commonwealth's equivalent of Wake Island as a "glorious last stand", or better yet they get reinforced by the Royal Navy. I did forget to mention the Portuguese, have they been doing anything of real note lately?

Again, great update Mac!

Does THIS work for you, or is it still not big enough?

Anyway, nice update! The Royal Navy didn't exactly have a great start, they'll have to do something eventually if they wanna have a solid chance of controlling the seas (hopefully without emptying the cupboard elsewhere).

Including the Kingdom of Sarawak is awesome enough on its own, but also having the "White Rajah" being TTL's equivalent of a Lawrence of Arabia just puts it over the top! Does that mean possible epic movies down the road over the war effort of Alistair in SE Asia?

Meanwhile, Australia isn't doing too well either in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands, what with the Japanese fleet owning the skies and so many troops being involved. I like the reference to a missile being launched by a Kiwi cruiser sinking one of those carriers. What kind of tech level relative to OTL are we talking about here, anyway? If nothing else, I'm picturing a sorta-Styx missile in terms of capability, which (given the lack of WWII) should still be fairly easy to develop here if the development of microprocessors and non-vacuum tube-based circuitry are still anywhere near OTL.

And Hong Kong and Macau seem to be in a tight spot, beset on all sides and running out of defensive weaponry. Maybe this could be the British Empire/Commonwealth's equivalent of Wake Island as a "glorious last stand", or better yet they get reinforced by the Royal Navy. I did forget to mention the Portuguese, have they been doing anything of real note lately?

Again, great update Mac!

Thanks for the link FleetMac. I should be able use it.

Glad you liked the update. Yeah, hopefully we will get some good films about Alastair of Sarawak (I just hope their not in Japanese). The Tech level is roughly the same as OTL. Again some technologies are a little behind and some are a little ahead of OTL. Most developed navies have at least the equivalent to OTL Styx missile. Sense the fall of Goa, the Portuguese have been assembling and expeditionary force to fight along with the Commonwealth in India.

Things are getting nasty for the Brits. Nice update Mac. Can't wait to see what you have up next! What are the Dutch reaction to the fall of Brunei and Sarawak? Are they concerned that the Durch East Indies could also be a target?

Things are getting nasty for the Brits. Nice update Mac. Can't wait to see what you have up next! What are the Dutch reaction to the fall of Brunei and Sarawak? Are they concerned that the Durch East Indies could also be a target?

Indonesia is already independence so Netherlands hardly care any. United States might be now bit worried. This war might affect for presidential election.

Thanks Novelty, and as Lalli mentioned Indonesia is now an independent state. The Indonesians are torn at the moment. While some support Japan and India's anti-western stance their territorial ambitions make many nervous. Cheers!

Indeed, the war will have a big effect on the presidential election. Any thoughts?

Probably person, who sees Japan being potential menace for Pacifica and intrests of America in Asia, has best changes for presidency. I think that candidate of Democrats has good changes. Republicans have probably been too careless with militarist Japan. How large military budget of USA is and what kind of navy America has in Pacific?

Going over Kakoda will still be a slog, even with choppers.

How long will it take Commonwealth units to come from Canada and the UK?

I agree, there will be blood.

Commonwealth units are moving as fast as they can. Some elements have already landed. For now Australia and New Zealand are focused on Japan, while South and East African units are mostly going to India. Canada, Ireland, and the rest will be split between the two.

Probably person, who sees Japan being potential menace for Pacifica and intrests of America in Asia, has best changes for presidency. I think that candidate of Democrats has good changes. Republicans have probably been too careless with militarist Japan. How large military budget of USA is and what kind of navy America has in Pacific?

I will be giving a more in depth break down of the navies soon. America currently has three fleets stationed in the Pacific.