The Union Forever: A TL

Given that Moldavia is more ethnically Romanian, it would make sense to do so. After all, the area's main language is just Romanian written in Cryllic.
I don't see how it 'makes sense' for an Imperial Russia to give away land. Makes sense in the 'would create an ethnically homogeneous land' sense, perhaps, but it doesn't make sense in a 'would Russia do this' sense.

Very interesting. I hadn't thought about Russians living abroad in Persia. I'm not so sure there would be that many Russians living in Algeria as France and Russia aren't super close ITTL. What do you think about the North Caucasus regions in Reagent's map?
Questions Russian demography without Bolsheviks were discussed at the ФАИ many years. Russia is a major source of immigrants to the European colonies the Americas and Australia. I do not think that France which has demographic problems will prevent immigration of Europeans in Algeria (probably Poles are the main ethnic group which will travel to Algeria). Russia could annex the territory inhabited by the Russian minority (Northern Persia, Tuva, Mongolia) when the share of the Russian population in the region will reach 33%.

North Caucasus regions in Reagent's map is ASB, because modern OTL borders in the Caucasus were formed in the Soviet period

Questions Russian demography without Bolsheviks were discussed at the ФАИ many years. Russia is a major source of immigrants to the European colonies the Americas and Australia. I do not think that France which has demographic problems will prevent immigration of Europeans in Algeria (probably Poles are the main ethnic group which will travel to Algeria). Russia could annex the territory inhabited by the Russian minority (Northern Persia, Tuva, Mongolia) when the share of the Russian population in the region will reach 33%.

North Caucasus regions in Reagent's map is ASB, because modern OTL borders in the Caucasus were formed in the Soviet period

So you are saying that Russian immigration would be more without the Bolsheviks? Although ITTL Russian standard of living isn't as high as the USA or most of Western Europe I would think it was probably higher than OTL's USSR.

Also, could you post what you think the Caucasus boundaries would be, as I still think they would have autonomous regions?

So you are saying that Russian immigration would be more without the Bolsheviks? Although ITTL Russian standard of living isn't as high as the USA or most of Western Europe I would think it was probably higher than OTL's USSR.

Also, could you post what you think the Caucasus boundaries would be, as I still think they would have autonomous regions?

True. In Russian Empire is much better standard of living than in USSR so from Russia not leave so much people as in OTL. And Russia is democracy and probably for its minorities much better place to live than USSR. And if I am not wrong Great War was last notable war where Russia participated. And it had troops in Chinese and Hungarian Civil Wars.

True. In Russian Empire is much better standard of living than in USSR so from Russia not leave so much people as in OTL. And Russia is democracy and probably for its minorities much better place to live than USSR. And if I am not wrong Great War was last notable war where Russia participated. And it had troops in Chinese and Hungarian Civil Wars.

Russia ITTL could best be described as a flawed democracy and would probably rank as "partly free" on OTL's Freedom House index. There are multi-party elections but the monarchy, military, and the security apparatus still wields a lot of power and the judiciary has a reputation for corruption. And yes, Russia hasn't been involved in a major conflict since the Great War but did participate in the Hungarian Red Revolt and in a limited capacity in the Chinese Civil War. They have also had some small operations fighting insurgents in their central Asian territories.

This Russia probably has less people wanting to leave than the USSR, but it almost definitely has more people able to leave no?

Does anyone have an opinion on the probable political future of French Western and Eastern Sahara?

Depends how the French treat them. Multi-ethnic states can work, but they can be fragile. Uranium and Gold probably aren't enough to give a French majority.

Depends how the French treat them. Multi-ethnic states can work, but they can be fragile. Uranium and Gold probably aren't enough to give a French majority.

Yeah I don't think the French will ever have a majority in those two regions. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't be integrated. ITTL Algeria isn't majority French but does send delegates to the French Legislature.

Yeah I don't think the French will ever have a majority in those two regions. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't be integrated. ITTL Algeria isn't majority French but does send delegates to the French Legislature.

Well they'll probably have a bit of terrorism, probably somewhere between Quebec and Northern Ireland.

Does anyone have an opinion on the probable political future of French Western and Eastern Sahara?

I believe they will probably be assimilated into France similar to what happened with Algeria. If I recall correctly the French were big on getting Africans to embrace French culture and ways of life. the Algerians seem to have gotten on pretty well with citizenship in the French Republic so why not the Saharas?

1974: Domestic Developments

Domestic Developments

473px-Ap4-s67-50531.jpg

Artemis VII hours before its launch
Leroy Conner Army-Navy Airbase in American Guiana
April, 1974

On April 14, Artemis VII became the first manned spacecraft to orbit the moon. Germany’s Imperial Space and Aeronautics Commission would replicate the same feat less than three months later.

In June, the Terra Nova Publishing released Nephilim a novel by Gabriel F. Dickey. Set roughly 300 hundred years after the world has been devastated by a nuclear war, Nephilim’s protagonists are left to wander the ruins of the former United States wondering what sort of calamity could have destroyed such an advanced society. Nephilim was a major commercial success and critics praised the book’s artful blend of science fiction and fantasy elements. The novel’s popularity also illustrated Americans’ growing fears about nuclear weapons and their consequences.

In the 1974 midterm elections Republicans managed to keep control of both houses of congress despite losing several seats to the Democrats. 1974 also saw the election of the first Technocratic mayor of a major city Jarrod Baumgartner of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Most pundits viewed Baumgartner’s election as indicative of voters’ frustration with the Democrats and Republicans inability to stop the decline of the city’s manufacturing sector.

In preparation for the upcoming 200th anniversary of the nation’s birth, the Bicentennial Tower opened in Chicago on December 4. At 1,776 feet it unseated the Trans Atlantic Airlines building in New York City to become the tallest building in the world.

Last edited:
-Wow, the Space Race is still neck-and-neck I see. I'm guessing the BIG Artemis mission will be coming up soon? ;) That is, unless, Germany or somebody else reaches the Moon first...

-Nephilim sounds like TTL's equivalent of The Day After in terms of being anti-nuke fiction. Of course, a novel with philosophical cred is a ton more respectable than a manipulative "tear-jerker" starring Steve Gutenberg :)rolleyes:) so maybe it'll work better here. I do have to wonder if a stand-in for either Star Trek or Doctor Who exists, and if so whether a possible post-nuclear holocaust would be a recurring theme.

-The 1974 election results seem (by the end of that paragraph) tied to a desire for America's industrial base to not degenerate into OTL's Rust Belt, which is refreshingly forward-thinking for your standard voter base. Or am I reading too much into that part? Also, nice little architecture update on the Bicentennial Building.

It might be that the stronger tendency toward free trade by the Republicans ITTL has led to the whole Rust Belt degeneration thing happening quicker. Of course, that likely means that the Midwest will turn away from the GOP as we move forward.