The Union Forever: A TL

Currently stuck on trying to come up with a flag for the Dominion of Nigeria. Any thoughts?

Would you want to go the standard route with the Union Jack in the upper left or is it more open? If it is more open their old naval ensign is interesting:

120px-Naval_Ensign_of_Nigeria_1960.svg.png

Would you want to go the standard route with the Union Jack in the upper left or is it more open? If it is more open their old naval ensign is interesting:

120px-Naval_Ensign_of_Nigeria_1960.svg.png

I'm open to anything, but it would probably have the union jack in the canton.

Here is a slightly altered version of OTL's colonial flag. Don't ask me why they used the Star of David.

Nigeria.png

#2: For this flag I was thinking a Green strip for the Muslim North and a white stripe for the Christian South. Thoughts?

Nigeria 2.png

Last edited:
I too like flag #2, since it pretty much addresses the religious "elephant in the room". Besides, there's just something elegant of a split-field pattern besides the seal to the side :)

The seal you used in #1.

Also it will be interesting to see if the unity government will be able to hold the country. I believe there will be tension, but the British will want it to stay strong (as it is part of the commonwealth) so the country will stay united. Worst case scenario, referendum is held to split Nigeria in two if religious issues become too bad.

The seal you used in #1.

Also it will be interesting to see if the unity government will be able to hold the country. I believe there will be tension, but the British will want it to stay strong (as it is part of the commonwealth) so the country will stay united. Worst case scenario, referendum is held to split Nigeria in two if religious issues become too bad.

I think the worst case scenario would be a civil war.

I should rephrase it. The worst thing I can theoretically foresee happening is a break-up into Muslim north and Christian south. I don't think Britain will allow the situation to get so bad as a civil war.

1973: Domestic Developments
Domestic Developments

images

Drugs captured by Panama State Police
June, 1973
As promised, following his inauguration President Gavin began to move against the international drug trade in earnest. Two key allies in the struggle against drugs were Governor Ricky Alfaro of Panama and Colombian President Ernesto Jimenez. Working together Alfaro and Jimenez attacked the cartels that transported the drugs across the border, while President Gavin increased the U.S. Coast Guard’s presence in the Caribbean and Gulf of Panama. Naturally, the drug syndicates fought back against these measures as illustrated by the September bombing of the Raul Guizado Federal Building in Colón which resulted in 36 deaths.

During the summer the XV Pan-American Games are held in Tampa, Florida. Highlights included Mexico beating the United States in baseball and Haiti scoring a surprising upset over Argentina in handball. Venezuelan dictator Vicente Saturnino refused to allow his nation’s athletes to attend and derided the games as “pathetic window-dressing for Yankee imperialism” in yet another display of Venezuela’s growing tensions with the United States and the League of American Republics.

Following the debut of the JCM Innovator-72 the previous year, Digital Entertainment (DE) released Space Attack considered by most to be the world’s first commercially successful computer game. The success of Space Attack would over the next few years cement DE’s position as a leader in the computer game market, a position it would hold for decades.

In October, the 17th Amendment to the constitution was ratified. The Amendment provided the means to fill vice presidential vacancies as had happened after the recent assassination of President MacArthur.

Section 1. In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.
Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

Last edited:
Can anybody tell me why when I copy and paste from word it gives me all the crazy things( i.e. [*] ) ? It didn't do this on my old computer.

Last edited: