The Union Forever: A TL

I don't see any derailment. Every post that mentions American Football is also talking about the ATL.
And many people understand it.

That entire post in general, and the two sentences you took issue with in particular, was borderline sarcastic. Over here, where nearly no one plays American football, no one begins to understand it, and I always tend to get slightly annoyed at a discussion I can't understand. I meant no offence to anyone involved, of course, nor to any fans of the sport in general.

Is Klulikism a technocrat ideology? Leftist leaning?

Yes, Krulikism is a technocratic ideology but has communist influences. After the failure of the Hungarian Revolution Krulikism gained many communist converts. However, As of 1958 no country has adopted Krulikism as its official ideology.

Yes, Krulikism is a technocratic ideology but has communist influences. After the failure of the Hungarian Revolution Krulikism gained many communist converts. However, As of 1958 no country has adopted Krulikism as its official ideology.

What (or who) is it named for?

1957: Foreign Developments

Foreign Developments

Suez-antiwar-demo-1956-HU-007.jpg

Protesters march in London against the war in India​

The 1957 British general elections would amount to a referendum on Prime Minster Baxter’s Indian policy. While
the war had generated some of the worst protest ever seen in Britain, most Britons seemed resigned to finish the conflict which Baxter announced would “terminate successfully” by the end of next year. In the end the British electorate kept Baxter’s Conservative Party in power albeit with a razor thin majority. Meanwhile in India, food shortages worsened and the war continued as British troops slowly began to withdraw out of northern India towards the Commonwealths of Burma, Madras, and Ceylon.

On April 24th, the creation of the first viable vaccine against polio was announced by Danish scientist Poul Lykketoft. Over the next few decades polio would be virtually eradiated in the developed world. However, the disease would persist in some places well into the 21st Century.

October 3rd marked the 50 year anniversary of the start of the Great War. Sadly a joint ceremony between the European powers to mark the occasion failed to occur after some Francophobic comments made by German Chancellor Kruger alienated the French government and their Italian allies. Nevertheless, the next three years would spark a series of books and films on the conflict and countless memorials dedicated to the millions who died.

In December the musical Guillaume Tell premiered in Paris to rave reviews. Based off the well-known story of Swiss folk hero William Tell, the musical became an instant success and was deemed by some to be one of the most significant cultural events of the decade. Guillaume Tell would serve as a catalyst for the revitalization of French theatre during the 1960s. An English adaptation would appear on Broadway two years later were it ran for an unprecedented 4,268 performances.
images

Scene from Guillaume Tell

Last edited:
The UK isn't looking very good in India... Hopefully the situation can be resolved soon.

How is space exploration coming along? And isn't the first nuclear weapon coming up in a few years... what stage is nuclear science at now?

Hmm... How is public transportation ITTL? No GM streetcar conspiracy...

The UK isn't looking very good in India... Hopefully the situation can be resolved soon.

How is space exploration coming along? And isn't the first nuclear weapon coming up in a few years... what stage is nuclear science at now?

Indeed, streetcars are more common ITTL's America but they have been in decline in recent years do to cheaper automobiles. As of 1957 there is no Interstate System.

Space exploration is developing with a major breakthrough expected in the next few years. It is beleived that the Americans, British, Germans, and Russians are all working on trying to reach outerspace.

nuclear science is many years behind our TL. But is developing.

What do y'all think about making the following cannon? Please note that I swapped out California's teams for the Santa Monica Orcas (based of Ricky007’s previous State of California entry) and the Seattle Stallions. Also what do y'all think about changing Milwaukee's team to something else? Maybe the Milwakue Duetschmen? Also I would be open to changing the names for the Colts, Chargers, and Bucks just to be a bit different. Let me know what y’all think.

National Rugby Association in 1957

Northeastern Conference
-New York Titans
-Baltimore Colts
-Pittsburgh Ironmen
-Philadelphia Smiths
-Boston Minutemen

Midwestern Conference
-Chicago Lakers
-St. Louis Bucks
-Milwaukee Brewers
-Cleveland Chargers
-Detroit Mohawks

Southern Conference
-Washington Sentinels
-Atlanta Rattlesnakes
-Miami Barracudas
-Hampton Buccaneers
-New Orleans Gators

Western Conference
-Seattle Stallions
-Santa Monica Orcas
-Halleckville Scorpions
-Houston Drillers
-Dallas Rustlers

Last edited:
I think the name "Pittsburgh Ironmen" is slightly… odd somehow. It just doesn't roll off the tongue very well. "Steelers" would work better IMO.

I was trying to avoid as many OTL mainstream team names as possible, hence no Steelers (it doesn't help I'm pretty much an anti-Steeler when it comes to teams :p), and "Ironmen" was the team name of the Pittsburgh BAA basketball team from 1946-1947. Still, I can see your point about catchiness.

Also, nice list MacGregor. Sorry for missing Santa Monica in my list before (although I'm sad to see the San Francisco Locos gone, I put a lot of thought into that one :p), and I'm glad you took my suggestions for the Sentinels and Buccaneers :D

EDIT: For Milwaukee, would "Hogs" do the trick? It's a meta-reference to Harley-Davidson, and you never said Milwaukee couldn't also be known for motorcycles as OTL; if that doesn't work, maybe "Milwaukee Bavarians"?. For Baltimore, "Mariners" I think could work since it IS a major port. Cleveland could always use the "Groovers" (reference to OTL Cleveland's role in rock'n'roll history), and I honestly don't have any idea what else to call St. Louis' team (although, honestly, I'd like to think they'd be more of a football town, which would also echo from OTL since it's one of America's most pro-soccer cities).

Last edited:
EDIT: For Milwaukee, would "Hogs" do the trick? It's a meta-reference to Harley-Davidson, and you never said Milwaukee couldn't also be known for motorcycles as OTL; if that doesn't work, maybe "Milwaukee Bavarians"?. For Baltimore, "Mariners" I think could work since it IS a major port. Cleveland could always use the "Groovers" (reference to OTL Cleveland's role in rock'n'roll history), and I honestly don't have any idea what else to call St. Louis' team (although, honestly, I'd like to think they'd be more of a football town, which would also echo from OTL since it's one of America's most pro-soccer cities).

It's hard to imagine the term 'Hog' being coined for motorcycles due to butterflies, but not impossible. I like this idea.

I was trying to avoid as many OTL mainstream team names as possible, hence no Steelers (it doesn't help I'm pretty much an anti-Steeler when it comes to teams :p), and "Ironmen" was the team name of the Pittsburgh BAA basketball team from 1946-1947. Still, I can see your point about catchiness.

Also, nice list MacGregor. Sorry for missing Santa Monica in my list before (although I'm sad to see the San Francisco Locos gone, I put a lot of thought into that one :p), and I'm glad you took my suggestions for the Sentinels and Buccaneers :D

It's hard to imagine the term 'Hog' being coined for motorcycles due to butterflies, but not impossible. I like this idea.

I think I will keep the Milwaukee Deutschmen (remember the U.S. was at war with Bavaria during the Great War)

Baltimore Mariners could work but what about the Bays or Baymen?

How about the St. Louis Boatmen or Rivermen? (Mike Fink could be the Mascot)

Also what about the Cleveland Boars?

I think I will keep the Milwaukee Deutschmen (remember the U.S. was at war with Bavaria during the Great War)

Baltimore Mariners could work but what about the Bays or Baymen?

How about the St. Louis Boatmen or Rivermen? (Mike Fink could be the Mascot)

Also what about the Cleveland Boars?

Really? For some reason, I thought they'd folded back into the Coalition with Prussia by mid war, guess I have to re-read the TL :p. Deutschmen sounds good then. The other suggestions work too, especially the Baltimore Baymen (since there's no San Fran team), although I think "Mariners" also fits the bill ("Marines" might be a tad confusing if somebody mixes them up with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children :eek:).

1958: Domestic Developments

Domestic Developments

images

William and Beatrix Dean​
In May, the Supreme Court ruled nine to two in Dean v. North Carolina that state laws banning interracial marriage were unconstitutional as they violated the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment. The decision marked the fall of the last significant legal barrier to racial integration and to most historians the end of the second wave of the civil rights movement which began 15 years earlier with the Atlanta Declaration.

While the country seemed largely content with President Anderson’s rather uneventful first two years in office the 1958 midterm elections saw the Republicans make modest gains in both houses of Congress. The balance of power however changed little as the Democrats retained control of the House of Representatives and the Republicans of the Senate.

On November 29th in Boreman, Absaroka what became known as the P.T. Barnum Circus Massacre occurred when disgruntled employee Curtis Gordon released several animals on the visiting crowds and set fire to a number of tents resulting in thirty six deaths and over a hundred injuries. The fallout from the incident bankrupted the P.T. Barnum Circus which had existed in one form or another since the late 1860s. The rival Ringling Brothers Circus Company would in the following years take over most of P.T. Barnum’s market share. In 1973 a film loosely based on the events titled The Devil’s Clown was released to enormous commercial success becoming an American horror movie classic.

In August the California Pythons beat the Georgia Crackers 13-10 becoming the first professional lacrosse team to win three consecutive National Lacrosse Federation championships.
3-3-28-11_multi-list_307x208.jpg

Franklin Cummings
1958 MVP for the California Pythons​

Last edited:
Wow, 1958 was a pretty polarized year. On the one hand, the laws against interracial marriage are finally getting the smack-down they deserve. On the other, a massacre under the Big Top :(. I guess the circus is pretty much done for then...