The Trouble with Tariffs

Here's the flag of Cottolvania that someone made for me:

attachment.php

Here's an alternative version:

attachment.php

These were originally posted [post=10132915]here[/post] and [post=10132917]here[/post].

Last edited:
More of the next chapter:

COTTOLVANIA'S EARLY YEARS
PART III

jamesisland.jpg

Slaves began to build the Presidential Palace in 1837

During the presidency of John C. Calhoun, Cottolvania thrived. With an ecomony depended on slave labor, production was on a breakthrough. In 1836, the slave laws were relaxed, but were twisted. Slaves were now expected to build factories and government buildings throughout Cottolvania. Vice President Robert Y. Hayne also expected slaves to “toil in factories, serve Presidents, and create our roads.” In general, slavery was about to take a whole new turn.

On August 9th, 1834, the Supreme Court of Cottolvania was officialy established. Robert E.B. Baylor became the first Chief Justice on August 16th, with John Bragg, James Henry Hammond, John Forsyth, Franklin E. Plummer, and James I. Standifer as Associate Justices. The first case that the Supreme Court saw was between a banker named Martin Roosevelt and a contracter named Charles Van Dyke, in Roosevelt v. Van Dyke. Chief Justice Baylor ruled that Roosevelt was operating an illegal bank and made Van Dyke the “winner.”

R_E_B_Baylor.jpg
Chief Justice Robert Baylor​

In 1837, construction began on the Presidential Palace west of Spartanburg. More than 200 slaves were used to create this marvelous structure. It was completed on December 20th, 1839, so President Calhoun didn't get to enjoy it. He had decided not to seek reelection in 1837, instead leaving the office to his Vice President, Robert Y. Hayne. Calhoun also made September 18 “Inauguration Day.” Electons would be held on the first Tuesday in May, with the winner announced three weeks later. Hayne's running mate would be Henry L. Pinckney, the Secretary of the Navy.

Both Hayne and Pinckney belonged to the Radical Party of Cottolvania. There was also a Conservative Party as well. For the 1838 elections, the Conservatives chose Secretary of War George M. Troup as their candidate and Alfred Cuthbert as his running mate. The 1838 election was close, but the Hayne/Pinckney ticket won over the Troup/Cuthbert ticket by a wide margin. Hayne became the 2nd President of Cottolvania, being inaugurated on September 18th, 1838.

George_M._Troup.jpg
Secretary of War George Troup​

One of Hayne's first acts as President was to issue an official flag for Cottolvania. An unofficial flag was flown in the early years, and was carried into both the War of Cotonese Secession and the Texas Revolution. The new flag was created in early 1839 and came into official usage with the Flag Act on October 4th, 1839. The flag had six stars and six stripes, one for each state of the republic.

attachment.php

Flag of Cottolvania

On January 1st, 1840, Hayne had settled firmly in the Presidential Palace. Sadly, he would die on February 14th, 1840. Vice President Pinckney became the 3rd President of Cottolvania on that day, with Hayne's funeral being on February 27th. Pinckney himself had moved into the Presidential Palace by March 2nd. His presidency would see great changes...

Note that Hayne's death in OTL was on September in 1839. Due to being President then, I moved it to February of 1840.

Last edited:
Okay, so there haven't been any comments since Saturday, but I won't do the next chapter until Friday at the latest.

All right, to get things rolling again:

RISE OF THE AMERICAN DICTATORSHIP

Clay.png

Henry Clay, follower of the short-lived Whig Party and founder of the American Liberal Party. Clay also replaced Andrew Jackson as POTUS

The Whig Party was formed in 1835 by anti-Jackson politicians in the Northeast and Mid-South. Such noble members include Daniel Webster, John Tyler, and Henry Clay. The Whigs viewed Jackson as a tyrant and a dictator, and wanted to kill him, along with Martin Van Buren. After that, they would put Whigs in those positions. The plan was foiled by Secretary of State William Wilkins and Secretary of the Treasury Levi Woodbury. Wilkins and Woodbury decided to report to Jackson about the Whig crisis.

W000475.jpg
William Wilkins​
LeviWoodbury.png

Levi Woodbury

On December 16th, 1835, Jackson decided to strike back against the Whigs by firing at a protesting crowd outside the Presidential Mansion in Washington. He ended up killing ten protesters, including William Henry Harrison, a major hero during the War of 1812, and John Tyler, a former Senator from Virginia. Another Whig, Henry Clay, was wounded but did not die from the attack. Congress was angry at the President and decided to impeach him on December 29th, 1835. Clay eventually recovered from his injuries and formed the “Liberal Party of America” with ex-Whigs on October 30th, 1836.

On January 19th, 1836, the Senate trial began, with Chief Justice Henry Baldwin presiding. Baldwin was chosing to replace John Marshall following a stage coach accident in July 1835. Baldwin supported Jackson during the trial, much to the disgust of the Senate, who wanted to see Jackson gone. About 55% of the senators voted “guilty”. However, with support from Wilkins and Woodbury, only 10% of voted “guilty” later. Jackson was staying in office, much to the joy of Wilkins and Woodbury.

Henry_baldwin_%28justice%29.jpg
Henry Baldwin, the judge who presided over President Jackson's trial​

As mentioned before, the Thirteenth Amendment officially gave the President lifetime status in office. However, Vice Presidents would still be elected every four years. The first election following the amendment was in 1836, when the incumbent Martin Van Buren beat ex-Whig Daniel Webster by about 67%. Still, the Liberals pressed on, gaining about 300 members by 1837. By 1840, about 2,000 members were “Liberals.” That year, Liberal candidate Clay competed with Van Buren for Vice President, eventually winning by a huge margin.

The U.S. also organized its territories in the late 1830s. The Territory of Baxaria occupied the land west of Missouri and Arkansas, north of the Red River, east of the 100th meridian west, and south of the 40th parallel north. The Rescretion Territory was bordered by Oregon Country to the west, British Canada to the north, the Mississippi River to the east, and the 42nd parallel north to the south. The remaining portion became the Territory of Dixova.

President Jackson began making plans to take over Mexico and Oregon Country. Things were looking scary...

Another chapter:

THE FIRST MEXICAN WAR AND THE LAST DAYS OF ANDREW JACKSON
GEN._JOHN_A._QUITMAN_AND_BATTALION_OF_MARINES_ENTERING_MEXICO_CITY.JPG

U.S. soliders marching in Santa Fe, late 1839

During the 1830s, a new era had approached. Jackson’s presidency was a smooth ride, with new states and territories growing by. Arkansas and Michigan had become states by 1837, the latter had the Lower Peninsula and the Toledo Strip gained from Ohio in 1836. The rest of it became the Territory of Superior. Sioux Territory was created as well, composing of land west of Mississippi, east of the Missouri River, north of Missouri, and south of Canada.

With six more free states than slave states (13 to 7), Congress sought to add more land and to spread slavey. It decided to allow Baxaria to join as a slave state, but with an unknown date. It also decided to annex Texas, but Mexico refused to allow it. Cottolvania also tried to annex Texas, too. Then, on December 27th, 1838, the Americans began to attack Mexico. The First Mexican War had begun.

James Bowie, the President of Texas, decided to use the war as an excuse to expand, going south to the Rio Grande and west to the 102nd meridian west. Mexico, surprisedly, didn’t seem to notice. The President of Cottolvania, Robert Hayne, used the war to advance onto Texas, trying to annex it. Cotonese troops then crossed the Mississippi River on June 6th, 1839.

Jimbowie.jpg

James Bowie, President of Texas

On October 29th, 1839, the United States took New Mexico from Mexico. It became a territory on November 15th. On December 15th, the Mexicans were pushed back into Durango, with the U.S. occupying all of New Mexico at the end of 1839.

On March 3rd, 1840, the Mexicans surrendered to the U.S., ending the First Mexican War. The Treaty of Santa Fe, signed on May 31st, not only had America gain New Mexico as a territory, it also recognized the new borders of Texas and gave both Alta California and Baja California independence as one state: the Republic of California.

On December 17th, 1842, Andrew Jackson died of heart disease. The new president, Henry Clay, declared a “Day for Mourning” for December 20th to honor the many “accomplishments” the ex-President has made. Wilkins and Woodbury were the most sad about it, as was Van Buren. On December 25th, Clay picked Levi Woodbury as Vice President, with Daniel Webster as Secretary of State, Walter Forward as Secretary of the Treasury, John C. Spencer as Secretary of War, Lewis Cass as Postmaster General, Hiland Hall as Attorney General, and Abel P. Upshur as Secretary of the Navy.

DanielWebster.png
Secretary of State Daniel Webster​

By 1843, the United States was well-organized under Clay and still going strong. This was about to change...

Last edited:
Im sincerely enjoying this TL! But I must admit only passing knowledge of the US in this period. I'm far more familiar with 1775-1815 and 1840-1890 in US history.

I don't quite have the depth of knowledge to comment on it but it is good! Please keep it up!

Im sincerely enjoying this TL! But I must admit only passing knowledge of the US in this period. I'm far more familiar with 1775-1815 and 1840-1890 in US history.

I don't quite have the depth of knowledge to comment on it but it is good! Please keep it up!

Thanks for commenting!

I have no idea when the next chapter should be up - probably around the next two weeks, maybe.

Enjoy! :cool:

EUROPEAN REACTION
Gérard_-_Louis-Philippe_Ier_%281773-1850%29_duc_d%27Orléans_en_uniforme_de_colonel-général_des_Hussards_%281817%29.jpg
Louis Philippe I, King of the French. He was the first European monarch to recognize the independence of Cottolvania​

News of Cottolvania's independence reached Europe in early 1834, with French King Louis Philippe I recognizing it on March 20th, followed by King William IV of Great Britain on April 4th, King Frederick William III of Prussia on May 30th, and Queen Isabella II of Spain on June 1st. Both King Ludwig I of Bavaria and Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria refused to recognize Cotonese independence. Other monarchs soon made their decisions.

The French King even had the honor of visiting the new republic in 1839, when Robert Y. Hayne was President. Both the the King and the President toured the country, and it ended in Spartanburg on December 31st. And when Hayne died, Louis Philippe attended the funeral himself. Returning to France on April 30th, 1840, the King was both sad and glad about the trip.

The trip also created a new alliance: the Coto-French Alliance. Signed by President Pinckney on July 3rd, 1840, the alliance soon rendered the U.S. as an enemy. In response, President Jackson decided to ally itself with Prussia, creating a century-long friendship that lasted until 1946.

THE SECOND MEXICAN WAR

After Jackson died, Henry Clay maintained the Prussian-American Alliance through the Treaty of Boston, signed on January 31st, 1843. He also created enemies in Great Britain, Cottolvania and Mexico, justifying this by demanding the British give up Canada in exchange for $200. Queen Victoria, the monarch who replaced William IV on the British throne, refused. Frustrated, Clay asked congress to declare war on Britain. Mexico then declared war on the U.S., beginning the Second Mexican War.

mw06506.jpg

Queen Victoria

Mexico had also declared war on Texas and California, with Cottolvania declaring war on the U.S. on March 3rd. The war went into full action on March 10th.

At first, the Republican Alliance (America, Texas, and California) held on against the Expansionists (Britain, Mexico, and Cottolvania). However, on June 12th, both the Mexicans and Cotonese armies began to invade Texas, with the small republic surrendering to both of them on July 29th. Next the Mexicans began to take back New Mexico, beating Americans at the Battle of Santa Fe on October 30th.

62117-004-79A07B84.jpg
The Battle of Santa Fe​

By early 1844, the Americans were pushed out of New Mexico. Meanwhile, their struggles were against the British, and the began to invade Canada on May 6th, 1845, with General Winfred Scott in charge. Scott's army met the British, led by Canadian General Gordon Drummond, near Toronto on July 4th. However, Scott was badly beaten in the week-long Battle of Toronto by Drummond's men. The U.S. then accepted defeat on July 23rd, bringing the war to a close.

Gordon_Drummond.jpg

Gordon Drummond, who's army defeated Winfred Scott and his men in the Battle of Toronto

163397-004-FFF9D6D0.jpg
The Battle of Toronto​

With the war's end, the Republican Alliance faced to lose territory to the Expansionists.

Last edited:
The whole premise of this TL is really stretching the imagination.

SC threatened to secede over the tariffs hurting their economy. Upon secession they would be subject to these same tariffs, breaking their economy. It doesn't matter how much Cotton you pick if you don't have basic industrial necessities. And the whole issue never amounted to much more than a threat that would never be carried out.

But even that I can accept, for a little while. But why would two more states succeed? How could Andrew Jackson, of all people, be so passive about this? I'm not even touching the war, because nothing within it makes sense.

I think you should reconsider how this all begins. If you really want Cottolvania, you might want to have an earlier PoD, with Tarrifs blowing up even more and the whole US collapsing (try to make this plausible, though). I appreciate the work, and it's not poorly written, but there are so many ASBs you might have scared people away.

I agree with Biden&Ceaser'12, there is some great potential here and it is well-written, but I had a few "WTF" moments. Like this:

On March 18th, 1833, President John C. Calhoun of Cottolvania declared war on the United States of America, claiming that Andrew Jackson had no right to send troops to reunite the states together. Jackson, who had troops guarding the border so that Cottolvania wouldn’t grab more states, responded by asking Congress to declare war on Cottolvania on March 29th. The War of Cotonese Sucession had officially begun.

Congress would NEVER declare war on a rebelling or seceding state as it basically gives the secessionists automatic legitimacy.

On June 23rd, the city fell into the hands of the Cotonese. Infuriated, Andrew Jackson decided to take matters into his own hands. He called in Zachary Taylor and Winfield Scott, two of the best generals in the U.S., and gave them Special Order 101. He also persuaded Congress to pass new laws that guaranteed satisfaction for the U.S. The first was the Presidental Act of 1833, which made the President have a lifetime status in office. The second was the Executive Act of 1833, which gave the executive branch even more power than before. Jackson, now President-for-Life, used the power to drive the Cotonese back... to the Virginia/Piedmontova border. The Americans then lost the ten-day Battle of Murfreesboro to Cottolvania, making President-for-Life Jackson called for a peace treaty with Cottolvania.

An act of Congress cannot change that part in the Constitution that limits a President's term to 4 years. Such an amendment would never be ratified by the states, no matter how batshit authoritarian or incredibly persuasive Andrew Jackson could get during the Succession Crisis.

On July 3rd, 1833, a small militia formed by Tennessee politicians Sam Houston and Davy Crockett began moving its way up toward Cincinnati and Louisville. Crockett’s group went up to Louisville, while Houston’s went to Cincinnati. Houston's group arrived to Cincinnati on July 14th, imprisoning Salmon P. Chase and three other men in jail for a week.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Why would they imprison a 25-year-old abolitionist attorney who is, at this point, unknown to most residents of Ohio and the state's political establishment? Why would they make such bold pro-slavery moves when it would only hurt their cause and piss off the North?

Like I said it is well-written and an interesting concept, but there are too many ASBs.

The whole premise of this TL is really stretching the imagination.

SC threatened to secede over the tariffs hurting their economy. Upon secession they would be subject to these same tariffs, breaking their economy. It doesn't matter how much Cotton you pick if you don't have basic industrial necessities. And the whole issue never amounted to much more than a threat that would never be carried out.

I guess that's where the name "Cottolvania" comes from: their economy is based on cotton.

I think you should reconsider how this all begins. If you really want Cottolvania, you might want to have an earlier PoD, with Tarrifs blowing up even more and the whole US collapsing (try to make this plausible, though). I appreciate the work, and it's not poorly written, but there are so many ASBs you might have scared people away.

I agree with Biden&Ceaser'12, there is some great potential here and it is well-written, but I had a few "WTF" moments. Like this:

I didn't think there were ASBs, as I try to get this TL as legitimate as possible.

Congress would NEVER declare war on a rebelling or seceding state as it basically gives the secessionists automatic legitimacy.

Well, what if Congress didn't declare war?

An act of Congress cannot change that part in the Constitution that limits a President's term to 4 years. Such an amendment would never be ratified by the states, no matter how batshit authoritarian or incredibly persuasive Andrew Jackson could get during the Succession Crisis.

Of course, after Cottolvania gets its independence, the U.S. then starts to become fascist, starting with the President's lifetime status in office.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Why would they imprison a 25-year-old abolitionist attorney who is, at this point, unknown to most residents of Ohio and the state's political establishment? Why would they make such bold pro-slavery moves when it would only hurt their cause and piss off the North?

They may want to eliminate any anti-secesionist in Cincinnati and Louisville, if that answers your question.

I guess that's where the name "Cottolvania" comes from: their economy is based on cotton.

I didn't think there were ASBs, as I try to get this TL as legitimate as possible.

Well, what if Congress didn't declare war?

Doesn't matter what Congress decides to do, the President will use his powers to suppress the rebellion, as Lincoln did. He didn't get a declaration, nor did he ask for one.

Of course, after Cottolvania gets its independence, the U.S. then starts to become fascist, starting with the President's lifetime status in office.

Dude, that is ASB. There is no way in hell the northern states ratify a constitutional amendment that gives Andrew Jackson a lifetime appointment. There is no way the U.S. becomes a de facto elected monarchy fifty years after independence.

They may want to eliminate any anti-secesionist in Cincinnati and Louisville, if that answers your question.

Which would only piss off the Northern states more and result in the complete ass-kicking of the seceding states

Knowing Andrew Jackson, as soon as secession was declared and possibly before, he would have moved in with the Federal army and crushed all opposition. Cottolvania wouldn't last a month. He certainly wouldn't wait for approval from Congress. Conveniently, this is one area that Presidents have the power to take care of the issue alone, enforcing the law. I don't really see how Cottolovania could mount an effective resistance.

Knowing Andrew Jackson, as soon as secession was declared and possibly before, he would have moved in with the Federal army and crushed all opposition. Cottolvania wouldn't last a month. He certainly wouldn't wait for approval from Congress. Conveniently, this is one area that Presidents have the power to take care of the issue alone, enforcing the law. I don't really see how Cottolovania could mount an effective resistance.

I do not see how "Cottolvania"(which will forever be the most retarded name ever) can possibly not go fascist and also end up a dictatorship? I mean, the damn OP had John C Calhoun write in the Cottolvanian constitution that the President could serve for 20 years....:eek::rolleyes:

Never mind the fact that by this stage, John C Calhoun, the founding father, was a States Rights demagogue, not the nationalist that he was back in his War of 1812 days. Technically he just created a damn country with limited states rights which he hates.

A new chapter:

TROUBLES AND TRIALS

treaty_Guadalupe_Hidalgo.jpg
The Treaty of London​

The Second Mexican War had ended with the defeat of the U.S. army in July 1845. The Expansionists then wrote up a treaty in London to decide the fate of Texas, California, and the United States. On March 2nd, 1846, the Treaty of London was signed. It contained the following:

- The United States will give up Kentucky, Louisiana, and Arkansas to Cottolvania. It will also give up New Mexico to Mexico.
- The U.S. will also give up its Oregon claims, plus the northern parts of Maine and Superior. All of them will become British effective April 3rd, 1846.
- Part of California will become part of Mexico.
- Texas officially becomes a state of Cottolvania.
- The U.S. will have to pay Britain $200 for causing the war, plus an additional $50 to both Mexico and Cottolvania.

Due to the treaty, the U.S. began a gradual decline in economic activity, causing the Panic of 1847 to occur. President Henry Clay felt more and more depressed every day, with the final straw coming by Congress' ratification of the treaty on December 30th, 1846. Clay would die on March 14th, 1847, and his Vice President, James Buchanan, became the 9th President of the United States the next day, with Nathan Clifford becoming Vice President.

B001005.jpg

President James Buchanan of the United States

NClifford.jpg

Vice President Nathan Clifford

Under Buchanan, Congress passed a constitutional amendment outlawing slavery in the U.S., coming into effect on May 15th, 1848. Congress did that to appease the remaining states in the Union, as Missouri, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware were the only slave states left and that the slave-holding state of Cottolvania was trying to get those states. Cottonese President James K. Polk denied that, of course, as he did not want any more states to join.

Polkpolk.jpg

President James K. Polk of Cottolvania

Both Buchanan and Polk will eventually come to an agreement...