The Song of Roland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome update Scarecrow. I especially loved this part:

Scarecrow said:
“Theordric, you do not yet realise your importance. Join me, and with our combined strength we can end this destructive conflict and restore peace to the Empire.”

Theodric dragged himself up and stared at his brother.

“I’ll never join you. You killed our father.”

:D

Luke...er...Theodric... :cool:

lol SK :D
but agreed love the update;

I'm presuming somewhere in the future there will be a weak emperor or something that cause the break up into independant kingdoms.
Also won't this be a bit like the tribes under Genghis Khan? Hugh will have to keep them fighting so they start thinking less about independence etc.
What about Britian?
- is it seperate kingdom, independant
- several kingdoms
-part of the Empire

But overall very good

Awesome update Scarecrow. I especially loved this part:

:D

Luke...er...Theodric... :cool:

Any similarities between my work and those of George Lucas are purely coincidental.:D

lol SK :D
but agreed love the update;

I'm presuming somewhere in the future there will be a weak emperor or something that cause the break up into independant kingdoms.
Also won't this be a bit like the tribes under Genghis Khan? Hugh will have to keep them fighting so they start thinking less about independence etc.
What about Britian?
- is it seperate kingdom, independant
- several kingdoms
-part of the Empire

But overall very good

hmm, not in the near future at least. The spoiler map was for this time period.:D

Yeah, Hugh may have to keep them fighting, except the Empire isnt exactly in the right state to go around invading anywhere. If only thier enemies would come to them...;)

As for Britian? Its not part of the Empire in 843. Its exact status has to be detrimined, due to the lack of any Danelaw

LOL Yeah I should probably make the same disclaimer between my Roger II and any works of George Lucas that may or may not be similiar. :cool:

I should add that It was your Roger II thing that put the idea in my mind, but then again, which came first? Starwars our your Tuscan suns timeline? its realy a grey area...:D

I should add that It was your Roger II thing that put the idea in my mind, but then again, which came first? Starwars our your Tuscan suns timeline? its realy a grey area...:D

LOL

I do believe Star Wars came first as it did take place 'Long, long ago. In a Galaxy far, far away...". That and it came out before I was born so...yeah GL brought his story out first. :D

Thande

Donor
LOL

I do believe Star Wars came first as it did take place 'Long, long ago. In a Galaxy far, far away...". That and it came out before I was born so...yeah GL brought his story out first. :D

But Star Wars was ripped off that Japanese thing, so you're morally equivalent ;)

(Keep up the good work, Scarecrow)

- - -

Focused on the rather diverting domestic issue of a decade long civil war, the Holy Roman Empire’s influence outside its boarders diminished somewhat. For example, when the leader of the prince of Moravia chose not to send his annual tribute to Karlsburg in 835, and then chose to extend his influence into the Bohemian Margrave, the Empire was in no position to stop them. In Spain, the Asturias and Toledo drifted out of the Empires orbit, as did the Duke of Benevento, upon which the Byzantine Empire fell upon and devoured its southern most parts, and the rest of the Duchy collapsed into civil war.

While the Empire also suffered, so did the Church. Missions to Christianise the frozen north that were launched from Wesseburg [Bremen] and Karslburg-on-Elbe [Hamburg] since the time of Charlemagne were scaled down through the Great Struggle. The Christian missionaries were actually stopped by Hugh in the middle of the Great Struggle, in order to divert money into the war effort.
Once the war was over, the Christian missions were not restored, for the same reason as during the war: In order to secure his empire Hugh forced his Empire to turn inwards to focus the vast resources to the task. When the Arch-Bishop of Karlsburg-on-Elbe complained vocally in his Christmas Sermon in 847, Hugh acted immediately and had the Arch-Bishopric demoted to a Bishopric, with the Arch-Bishop of Wesseburg demoted as well. As far as Hugh was concerned, Christianising the Northmen came secondary to the pacification of any rebellious barons. Another blow to the Latin Church, which was still reeling from the events of the 830’s: The conversion of the pagan Croats to Byzantine rite Christianity.

Croatia was situated between the Byzantine Empire and the HRE, and was a ground that was fiercely contended between the two Empires for influence and conversion. With the HRE absorbed in a decade consuming civil war, the Greek Church took an active role in the small pagan state on the Dalmatian coast. Sponsored by the Byzantines the southern Croat tribe took control over their northern, Latin rite cousins. A military treaty was signed with the Byzantine Emperor at a later date.

Suspicion and paranoia walked hand in hand through Hugh’s Empire. Hugh was quick to act against any who dared to oppose him, or even offered the slightest suggestion that they could be possibly plotting. His long held disregard for the Church came to a head in 848 when he intervened in the Papal elections in Rome as Charlemagne had fifty years earlier. Hugh supported his pope, who in return curtailed the rights of the clergy, and granted Hugh the title of the protector of the Holy See. Pope Stephen V, with some gentle prodding from Hugh, then issued a series of Papal edicts outlining the division between the Church and the Secular authority of the Emperor. The Emperor would be responsible for the subjects, the Church for their souls, and never should the two mix. Facing fierce opposition from his fellow clergy, including a knife in the back and more then the healthy amount of arsenic in his food, most of these papal decrees were reversed or revised under the new pope Hadrian III.

Hugh’s new kings did not escape his glance. Hugh installed a series of Count Palatines in the courts of his under kings. Their goal was to aid and goad the Kings, and to spy and report back to Hugh on the actions and movements of the Kings, even in the court of his son Bernard, King of Francia. [1]

As the Empire walked shakily through the first decade of under Hugh, the neglected sea-lanes of Northern Europe and the Mediterranean became rife with pirates that were not solely content with simply raiding: The Saracen corsairs and the pagan Ascomanni. [2]

People in the cold, frozen north have long memories. Many remembered the stories that their grandfathers who had fled Europe when those Christian Franks had invaded the Danish lands thirty years ago. Most had visited the great trading fairs of northern Francia, and knew of the wealth that lay there. The same could be said for the Saracens from the Mediterranean. In the cold midwinter of the 840’s, the Empire stumbled, and the wolves circled.

None of the attacks were organised on some large scale, or sponsored by anyone greater then a warlord. In Italy, the Saracens struck. They had kicked the Greeks out of Sicily earlier in the century, and now pirates raided further north. They raided up and down the coasts, and established pirate nests across the peninsular; Bari on the Adriatic coast, Fraxinetum in Providence, and at Garilgliano, sandwiched between the Greek footholds of Gaeta and Naples. These nests presented a continuous source of trouble for the kingdoms of Italy and Burgundy, and spurred on the building of fleets by the maritime cities of Marseille, Genoa and Pisa in order to protect themselves.
The Saracens even raided Rome! In 846 they sailed up the river and sacked the Vatican.
Spain, the other Mediterranean Kingdom, was not spared from the aggression of the Saracen horde. A new emir had risen to the throne in Cordoba, and had successfully pulled the other Saracen states on the Spanish Peninsular into her orbit. Aided by mercenaries from North Africa, the Emir launched several raids against the northern Christian Kingdoms. So successful where these raids that in 850 one of the most holy sites in Christendom, the tomb of the apostle St James in the city of Santiago de Compostela when the Kingdom of the Asturias was full of civil strife following a unclear line of succession established by the now dead King. The armies of Cordoba marched against those of the Spain in 853-857 in a series of small wars that resulted in the Grenadian March being handed back and forth, and long lines of slaves, captured prisoners of war, clogged the roads of Iberia. The outlook was gloomy for Christians in the Mediterranean during the middle of the century.

So Spain, Burgundy and Italy screamed to Karlsburg for aid, but the Franks and Teutons where not without their own troubles. Remember those Ascomanni I mentioned before?

Scandinavia hovered above Europe, as much a source of sea-borne raiders as the Eurasian steppe was a source of horse ridding raiders. These Ascomanni raids had begun in the last decade of the 8th Century, hitting the British Isles more then Francia. After 813, when Denmark fell to the Franks, there was a glut of Danish raiders, pagans fleeing their Christian persecutors. Most fled to the fjords of Norway, or the islands of the Baltic Sea. A large minority had fled across the North Sea to the British Isles where they attempted to settle the lands of Northubria, before they were chased north into the highlands to scrape out an existence amongst the Celts. These Danes eventuality swore fealty to Cináed mac Ailpín, and aided in his rise to power as King of Picts and in 842 defeated his last rival for the Kingship. [3]Using these mighty, mighty fighting men, Cináed waged several wars against his enemies, invading Northumbria in 850, taking the town and land of Melrose, although his desires for conquest where curtailed by Ascomanni raids that penetrated the heart of Cináed’s Kingdom. When Cináed died in 856 [4], his sons squabbled over the rule of the land, and Ascommanni raiders, followed by settlers, flooded into his lands. His eldest son Causantín mac Cináeda fell in battle against the pagan Norwegians in the Tay valley. This defeat spelled the end for the Pictish Kingdom, and the Viking settlers established several kingdoms across the northern Highlands, a job made easier once Strathclyde fell in 859.
The Ascomanni struck further south, raiding Northumbria and Wessex, even striking the Welsh states, but it was no where near as successful as in Pictland, never anything more then burning down the occasional monastery and carrying off all that nice gold.

But I digress. From the frozen lands of Scandinavia, the Northmen fell onto Europe. The march of Denmark was on the receiving end of many of these raids, while also acting as a source of raids: pirates raided out of the many bays of that northern most March. The King of Teutonica, Ernolf of Saxony, marched his army into the Danish March on several occasions. [5] The March was over-run on many occasions during Hugh’s rule, and on the urging of his advisors and the constant pestering of Ernolf, Hugh converted Ernolf’s de factor rule to de jure, officially granting the Danish March to Ernolf. The march was divided in two, with the march remaining in the north, and a Palatinate of Jutland in the South, which incorporated some of the northern regions of Northalbingia. From the new Palatinate Ernolf launched a series of naval raids[6] to counter the Ascomanni threat, seizing the island of Fyn, which was incorporated into the Jutland Palatinate by 857, stolen away from the king in Scania. Scania was the successor state of Denmark, and as with Sweden, her raiders terrorised the eastern Teutonic marches of the Empire, the emerging pagan Polish states, and further east, into the untamed vastness that could swallow the smallfry Holy and Greek Empires a hundred times over. The largest Ascomanni settlements were established along the long trade route from Byzantium to the Baltic. Holmgard, near the Baltic coast, and the city of Kiev. Holmgard [7] was established by Ascomanni from Sweden and some from Scania. Since they had little contact with the Empire, we shall call them by the name that the people of the east gave them: Varangians.
Holmgard was established in the first years of the second half of the ninth century by a Varangian named Rurik, while Kiev was founded twenty years later in the 880’s, further down the great trade route. These towns became great centers of trade, although on many occasions the Varangians found it much easier to attack Constantinople, rather then trade with it.

The Norwegian Ascomanni struck further west, raiding the Francian lands of Frisca, Flanders and Rouen, penetrating along the Rhine, Scheldt, Seine and Loire rivers. Without a strong protection of the coastline they came and went as they wanted, reaching as far inland as Paris on several occasions. The Frankish army was built to counter an army similar to itself, rather then raiders on sleek dragonheaded ships only interested in carrying of slaves to the markets such as that at Dublin, a Ascomanni colony on the eastern coast of Ireland.

The movement of the Ascomanni and Saracen raiders across the Empire defined the rule of Emperor Hugh, and a by product of the raids where the increasing decentralisation of the Empire that had begun with the establishment of the eight Kingdoms. With the Emperor preferring to focus on stopping dissent (both real and imagined) within his Empire, the Kings and lower lords had to take up arms for themselves.

In his last years Hugh’s paranoia consumed him. Count palatines were dismissed, local aristocrats where replaced with men loyal to him. Hugh’s oldest son, Bernard, King of Francia, was even killed off under suspicion that he would attempt to seize Imperial power for himself. [8] Bernard’s young son Guibert was placed on the throne, his uncle Lothar was entrusted with the duty of being regent.

Hugh died on March 14th 869. He had been ill since Christmas, reduced to skin and bone, and was seen wandering the corridors of his palace in Karlsburg, wrapped in bearskins, shivering even in the blazing heat as his advisors sweated it out.

Upon his death the eight Kings gathered in Karlsburg to not only attend the funeral of the third Holy Roman Emperor [9], but to elect the next Emperor. There were three contenders for the Imperial throne: Lothar, son of Hugh, regent of Francia, Everwinus, Court Palatinate of Teutonica, and Anichino, the successor of the Italian throne, who tired of waiting for his father to die.

Lothar was the most popular by far, simply by virtue of being the one they hated the least. He received five votes, Everwinus two, and Anichino a lone vote.

Crowned after Easter, Lothar became the fourth and last Carolingian Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.

- - -

[1] Considering Hugh’s relationship with his father, wouldn’t you want to keep a close eye on your sons?

[2] That’s Vikings to you and me. Ascomanni was what the Franks knew these men of the north by, in reference to their ships.

[3] Earlier then IOTL.

[4] Again, earlier then IOTL, but in that case from several knifes in the back, rather then a tumour in 858 IOTL.

[5] The Danish March had not been granted to the Kingdom of Teutonica after the Great Struggle, but King Ernolf had always had a de facto rule over the Danish March.

[6] The ships aren’t his, but a loaned Friscan fleet. The fleet was decommissioned in the Great Struggle by Emperor Hugh, but rebuilt in the face of the Ascomanni threat.

[7] OTL Novgorod. Holmgard was the original name of the Varangian settlement, the name Novgorod came later.

[8] Despite the fact that a new Emperor could only be chosen by a council of kings. Paranoia and rationality rarely walk hand in hand.

[9] With Charlemagne considered the first Holy Roman Emperor, even though Hugh was the first to gain the title officaly.

- - -

Good update Scarecrow! :)

This sentence here:

Scarecrow said:
So successful where these raids that in 850 one of the most holy sites in Christendom, the tomb of the apostle St James in the city of Santiago de Compostela when the Kingdom of the Asturias was full of civil strife following a unclear line of succession established by the now dead King.

Seems like it is missing something after de Compostela. :confused: Like two sentences where merged but had parts chopped off.

But other than that it is well written and I await the next part. :D

Good update Scarecrow! :)

This sentence here:

Seems like it is missing something after de Compostela. :confused: Like two sentences where merged but had parts chopped off.

But other than that it is well written and I await the next part. :D

Oops must find editor:eek: That should read:

So successful where these raids that in 850 one of the most holy sites in Christendom, the tomb of the apostle St James in the city of Santiago de Compostela was raided by maruding Saracens, and had it not been for the brave actions of Prince Alphonse, who was at prayer in the city. Alphonse isnt quite as pious as he would appear; the Kingdom of the Asturias was full of civil strife following a unclear line of succession established by the now dead King, and Alphonse was praying to ask god to secure victory for him over his older brother.

Can I pm you with some spoiler stuff SK? I need to run some ideas by someone:D

Great stuff...although I'm curious on who "I digress" denotes....

why, the narrator of course;)

Behold! A half done map :D The Empire is all done, which is most important. Britian and Eastern Europe arent quite done yet though, but thats not important at this point. :D

Behold! A half done map :D The Empire is all done, which is most important. Britian and Eastern Europe arent quite done yet though, but thats not important at this point. :D

It's beautiful Scarecrow... :wipes tear from eye:

This map has been stamped with the SK BAM approval... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.