The Song of Roland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting:) , the situation in the Cordoba emirate and after calipahte was ever more or less subject to internal tensions and rebellions that in OTL probably would have two important peaks during the reign of Abd Allah (888-912) and finally after the murdering of Abd Al-Malik al Muzaffar son of Almanzor in 1008 that begin the decline of Cordoba Caliphate until his fall in 1031.

So in this TL with a victory of Charlemagne we probably would see some kind of taifization of Cordoba Caliphate at least in the zone of Levant (from Saragossa to Murcia) also in OTL there was an autonomous christian kingdom centered in Orihuela (Murcia) after the capitulations between Todmir the visigothic count that commanded this region, caused by the hard resistance of the visigoths during the muslim invasion of the visigothic kingdom in this area the arabs accepted the formation of an autonomous christian area in Murcia and Alicante, the most part of information about Teodomiro or Todmir is in castillian -spanish- in the web and in my books, in wikipedia we have:

snipped for length

Basically according the article (that also surprised me because I believed that after the dead of Teodomiro in 743 the pact had been forgotten) the autonomous kingdom existed until 825, so if Charlemagne defeats Abderraman and the Levant is lost for Abderrahman because rebellions, is possible than this christian kingdom could be truly independent. (even if Charlemagne is disposed to make some kind of deep expedition into Cordoba Caliphate some kind of Teodomiro kingdom uprising could happen if frank troops are near)

Wow, I didnt know that. I dont think that Charlemagne is going to get any further into Spain at the moment; There are Saxons causing problems closer to home. Once he has a treaty out of Abd-Rahman the Penninsualr wil be left in the hands of Abbisid armies and any Asturian forces.

As to Orhuela...I think they may take the oppertunity presented with the chaos in Spain
If the Christians were to become independent, what would they call themselves? the Kingdom/duchy/whatever of Orhuela?

Originally posted by Scarecrow
Wow, I didnt know that. I dont think that Charlemagne is going to get any further into Spain at the moment; There are Saxons causing problems closer to home. Once he has a treaty out of Abd-Rahman the Penninsualr wil be left in the hands of Abbisid armies and any Asturian forces.

As to Orhuela...I think they may take the oppertunity presented with the chaos in Spain
If the Christians were to become independent, what would they call themselves? the Kingdom/duchy/whatever of Orhuela?

Saxons, saxons yes I remember of certain pesty guy for Charlemagne named Widukind (Saxons was surely one of the nightmares of Charlemagne:D )

Respect to the name, it seemed that Teodomiro or Tudmir for the muslims was duchy of Auriola region, Orihuela ancient name in roman and visigothic times was Auriola so we would have the Auriola kingdom of the Teodomiro dinasty: in the time of the expedition of Charlemagne the Auriola region was governed by the succesor of Teodomiro, Atanagildo.

Interesting TL:):cool: waiting next updates:)

Saxons, saxons yes I remember of certain pesty guy for Charlemagne named Widukind (Saxons was surely one of the nightmares of Charlemagne:D )

Respect to the name, it seemed that Teodomiro or Tudmir for the muslims was duchy of Auriola region, Orihuela ancient name in roman and visigothic times was Auriola so we would have the Auriola kingdom of the Teodomiro dinasty: in the time of the expedition of Charlemagne the Auriola region was governed by the succesor of Teodomiro, Atanagildo.

Interesting TL:):cool: waiting next updates:)

oh Widukind will appear; in what capacity, i dont know yet (ie, a greater or lesser threat then IOTL)

bring on the Kingdom of Auriola!!!

well that was a little bit longer a break between the first part and the second then I intended:p

- - -

By 779, as the last snow was melting into the earth of Francia, and the first flowers blooming, Charlemagne marched north out of the Spanish peninsular. The Umayyad Emirate now only existed in memory: The land now lay divided between the allies of Charlemagne, and the new tai’fa states that owed allegiance to the Abbasid Caliph sitting in fat away Baghdad. The Emir had made a quick peace with Charlemagne as things turned against him. The Asturians, those lonely, angry, militant Christians on the north shore of the Spain had joined Charlemagne in his war against the Emirate. The forces of the Caliphate crossed Gibraltar, and laid siege to Grenada. Internal forces tore the Emirate apart: In the south east, since the days after the invasion of Visigothic Spain, the area known as Auriola had maintained a level of autonomy under a Christian ruler. With the Emir being torn apart by the Abbasids and Charlemagne, the current Christian ruler of Auriola sent envoys to Charlemagne, asking the Frankish king to accept them as a vassal, a dependency deep in Christian Spain, and in 779 the Duke of Auriola sent his first tribute to the Frankish King.

The Auriolians were not the only Christians to turn against their Saracen masters. The City of Toledo also rose in revolt. The cities bishop was who the Christians of Spain turned to for Spiritual leadership, not the Pope in Rome, a fact that Charlemagne could hardly contain his distaste for. When Cordova fell to the Abbasids, the rebel army of Toledo secured the lands to the north of their city, surrendering paltry scraps of land to the Asturians to prevent them from overrunning the fledgling nation. Toledo continued to maintain its independence as a Christian tai’fa state to the Abbasid Caliphate, until her allegiance changed to become a dependency of Francia in 799. To the south of Toledo, a series of small tai’fa states were carved out of the remnants of the Umayyad domain, the largest centred on the old capitol of Cordoba.

The final state to exist on the Spanish Peninsular was the Emirate of Valencia, the domain that Suleiman had won for himself once his powerful allies had defeated the Umayyads. He sat uneasy, his actions during the War had lead the Abbasids to have a deep distrust of Suleiman. He was in the pay of Charlemagne to such an extent that was a vassal of the king of the Franks in all but name.

So glad was the Abbisid Caliph that Spain (well, most of Spain) was returned to him (well not him, just people who were willing to accept his lordship) that he granted a gift to Charlemagne: a Pet elephant and a troop of Arab physicians were sent north to that frozen barbarian kingdom.

The reason for the late entry of Toledo into the influence of Francia was due to the sudden lack of Frankish influence in the region, as Charlemagne travelled back to the frozen north of Saxony, to kick that trouble causing bastard Widukind.

Saxony had been the traditional enemy of the Franks. Pagan while the Franks had converted, those Saxon hordes who dwelled between the Elbe and Oder had not. Peace was difficult here. The Saxons swore on their pagan gods, which held little currency with the Franks, while they in turn swore on their Christian Saints, which didn’t impress the pagan Saxon scum.

Charlemagne had made his name here, in what seemed to be an entirely unprovoked campaign, beginning in 772, once his brother had been dealt with. The campaign would last over a decade, and was not over when Charlemagne set off south of the Pyrenees.

His long campaigning had taken a toll on Charlemagne and his armies. Towards the end of his Spanish campaign his army had chased after a group of fleeing Saracen horsemen, only to be drawn into a trap, and slaughtered. This had cost him dearly, including his seschenal of the Breton March, Roland. This sly and backstabbing move by the forces of the Umayyad Emir were not lost to history: recorded by monks in Francia, albeit slightly exaggerated, the story became a favourite of minstrels across Frankish lands through the centuries: The Chancon de Roland.

With his armies away from Saxony the Saxon leader Widukind had returned and stirred up trouble. From 779 the number of Saxon raids increased dramatically, along with unrest as Widukind marched the land. When Charlemagne returned to Saxony, depositing his war booty in Aachen on the way, he spent the next three years confided to suppressing revolts that on a couple of occasions threatened to push Charlemagne back into Austrasia and Neustria. Nevertheless, his iron will did not buckle, and at last, in 781, he was able to return his level of control to that of before his Spanish adventure, simply by being able to match the level of sheer brutality that the Saxons presented him with. But that brutality was taking a tole on the forces of the Empire. Five years of constant (well, more constant then the ordinary level of that the Franks were accustomed to) had worn the Empire out. As fun as continuous war was, surely there had to be another way to impress this rabble of pagans, get them to convert and submit to his will.

Paderborn.

Paderborn was built in 776,and lay deep in former Saxon territory. It is a vast fortress that didn’t have Roman origins. It was a new town, designed to shock and awe the Saxon rabble who weren’t convinced by the cross and the sword techniques, and a palace chapel complex was being built there.

In order to prevent such a large-scale revolt, Paderborn would be vamped up and Charlemagne’s original purpose: A new capitol, to be renamed Karlsburg.

This move, to instate an actual capitol of his new Empire caused concern too amongst his barons and dukes. This was a world of difference away from the annexations of Saxony, Lombardy and adventures in Spain. The King of the Franks was reliant on the support of his aristocrats to rule. Throughout his rule Charlemagne had to be constantly on the move in order to make his presence felt. By setting up a permanent capitol, especially so far to the north, away from the majority of his Kingdom. Was it worth setting an example to those rowdy, rowdy, Saxons?

- - -

The spire of the church was the first sign of Karlsburg that Mallobaudes saw. He leaned out of the cart and squinted in the May sun to get a better look. He turned to the other monk in the cart, Hildebold, and said:

“look at that! It must be the tallest building in the world!”

Hildebold snorted and waved his hands in front of his face, shooing away flies.

“Honestly Mallobaudes, you give yourself away as a first time visitor. Try to control yourself. You are a Aquitinian, not a red haired barbarian of the North, whose grandfathers walked out of the woods wrapped in bearskins.” He winced and held his side.

Mallobaudes leaned over and looked at the old man. “Back playing up again?”

“Christs balls it is bad today.” He muttered, and lay back on the hay in the cart, and took a sip of his medicine.

Bored by the sight of his master writhing in pain, Mallobaudes looked back at the spire. In the noon light it sparkled. He frowned. Sparkled?

“What is the spire made of?” he asked the cursing monk.

“Its marble, from one of the Spanish kingdoms. There are silver statues made from silver from the Bohm-land. The architect was, well is, a Saracen. A gift from the Caliph. His other gift is here somewhere.”

“Other gift?” enquired Mallobaudes.

“The great beast, an elephant. It is a beast twice the size of a man, its skin is as thick and as tough as leather; but a grey colour. Its nose extends to the ground like a hose, and has giant ears. If you are lucky, then you will be able to see it, unless you get killed by a Saxon raid first.”

Mallobaudes paled. “What? You cannot be serious! I mean, I know that Karlsburg is in the middle of the wilderness, but –“

“Calm down Mallobaudes, grow a sense of humour. We may be in the middle of Saxony, but there are no raiders in these parts.”

The cart trundled on in silence, and the traffic got heavier as more carts, horses and carriages crowded the road as they approached the palace grounds. It was May, in the capitol of Francia, which could only mean one thing: campus maii. The annual gathering where Charlemagne called his magnates: counts, dukes, his military leaders, along with those of the church, to an annual meeting. It was here that the next years campaign was decided, along with other matters of the state. In the most recent of years, this was unsettling for many of the magnates. The establishment of Karlsburg as capitol of Francia was unheard of. What did the King think he was doing?

Unrest had roamed the land in the two years since the renaming of Paderborn. The capitol sat in the north-eastern part of the Kingdom, where the majority of the population and power sat in the south. The addition of the Counties of Barcelona and Pampalona, along with the clashes with influence between Francia and Byzantine in southern Italy helped drag the focus of Francia away from the traditional enemy that was the Saxons. Charlemagne had to dispatch his army against no more then seven of his magnates in those two years, far above the normal rate, even for Francia.

Something had to be done.

- - -

In order to lower the internal dissent within Francia, Charlemagne had to make a bold move. The creation of a capitol at Karlsburg resulted in a slight change in the Saxon unrest, but it had been counteracted by an increase in unrest in the southern parts of the Kingdom. In 782, he moved, and at the
campus maii, he named that his third son, Louis (who was still an infant), would be named the King of Aquitaine. Aquitaine had always considered itself to be Roman; they looked down on the red haired barbarians of the North. The Merovingian’s knew the danger of Aquitaine, and treated it with kid gloves. There was the expectation that Charlemagne would do the same. By promoting Aquitaine to the status of a Kingdom, it would give the impression of giving real autonomy to those lost Romans. It was Louis’s stamp which appeared on the official orders, not Charlemagnes, and had its own royal court and government. [1]

- - -

[1] This is one year later then it happened in OTL.

Good stuff Scarecrow, keep it going. Oh by chance there wouldn't be a map involved would there...something large and by large I mean BAM sized. :D

Good stuff Scarecrow, keep it going. Oh by chance there wouldn't be a map involved would there...something large and by large I mean BAM sized. :D

Why yes, yes there is. Its set in 814, when he dies, so there will be some slight spoilerige. If I get it finished before I write the last part of Charlemagne, then i will post it. Its about 1/3 done.

It is largeish, but it doesnt use all of the Europe BAM.

Why yes, yes there is. Its set in 814, when he dies, so there will be some slight spoilerige. If I get it finished before I write the last part of Charlemagne, then i will post it. Its about 1/3 done.

It is largeish, but it doesnt use all of the Europe BAM.

:D

Can't wait to see it.

Good update Scarecrow, no doubt an interesting TL:)

Surely also the first TL that reivindicates a little known but potential actor (although secondary) in ATLs centered around VIII century: the Auriola autonomous christian region in Ummayyad Emirate:)

I have some questions refering to the situation after the fall of the Ummayyads in Spain:

Is there some territories that yet are controlled by the Ummayyads in Spain? (or absolutely all the Islamic Iberia is controlled by lords that are proabbasids or simplily independents?)

What fate has had Abderrahman I, Is he killed or is alive and trying to organize some kind of resistance?

Also waiting with great interest that map:cool:

Good update Scarecrow, no doubt an interesting TL:)

Surely also the first TL that reivindicates a little known but potential actor (although secondary) in ATLs centered around VIII century: the Auriola autonomous christian region in Ummayyad Emirate:)

I have some questions refering to the situation after the fall of the Ummayyads in Spain:

Is there some territories that yet are controlled by the Ummayyads in Spain? (or absolutely all the Islamic Iberia is controlled by lords that are proabbasids or simplily independents?)

What fate has had Abderrahman I, Is he killed or is alive and trying to organize some kind of resistance?

Also waiting with great interest that map:cool:

Thanks!

Basicly, the Ummayyads loose big time. I didnt mention what happened to Adberrahaman because its not important to the narrator :p

But the real answer would be: he flees to the Balearic Islands where he and his sons are able to put up a decent enough defense to survive for a while.

All of Islamic spain is in the hands of pro-Abbasid hands, but they maintain a reasonable level of independence. should Baghadad be distracted by something closer to home...

the map should be...soonish, except for the fact I just thought of a new idea at work and have to go back and change a few things. damn it...

The renaming of Paderborn as Karlsburg, and its establishment as the capitol of Francia sent a powerful message to Charlemagne’s friends and foes alike. Few Saxon tribes relented and converted, most didn’t. Side by side with Louis being given the throne of Aquitaine in 782, Charlemagne instated a series of laws to help the conversion of the Saxons to Christianity. These laws, prohibited on pain of death, the burning of churches, murdering of priests and refusing baptism, reconverting to their old religion, and even eating meet on Lent. The responsibility for maintaining a church was placed on the local people.

In the months after this, as Charles was busy crushing the revolvers of Pamplona, several of Charlemagne’s lords, eager to gain prestige, prepared a force and assaulted the mountainous region North of the Wesser.
They were slaughtered: more then twenty of Charlemagne’s leading men. This slaughter made Widukind appear once again, and he led a wide scale revolt. When news reached Charlemagne of this, his response was unprintable. With the furious energy of an avenging angel he marched north, back to Karlsburg, his heart filled with murderous rage.

His mood preceded him. Messengers that preceded him told of his anger, and warned the Saxon leaders that he would be unstoppable. In the end, Charlemagne did not even need to fight a single battle. But his rage was not contained. He had tried simply killing the Saxons, and then shocking and awing them, and yet nothing fucking worked.

One option remained. [1]

Kill the leaders. Lop of the head, and the body will die. In 783, Charlemagne issued a decree that was shouted throughout his empire, echoed by his sons Charles, Louis, and Pepin in their kingdoms of Austrasia, Aquitaine and Italy:

‘To the man who brings the head of Widukind, be he lord or soldier, freeman or slave, the King shall grant a vast fortune, along with lands stretching from the Wesser to the Oder.’

His annual campaign of 783 was contained to the mountains North of the Wesser. There he rounded up all pagan Saxons who his armies could find, and marched them across the Francia, settling some in the Alps of Burgundy, others were settled in empty villages of Pamplona, while their Basque occupants were marched north, and took the cold frozen lands swept clean of pagan Saxons. Loyal Franks were settled amongst these displaced peoples. And yet for all of this, Widukind evaded capture, some say that he was in hiding Denmark, other reports suggested he was in the forests of Thurgundia, or Bohmland. Sitting in his castle in Karlsburg in the frozen Christmas of 783, Charlemagne raged and moped.
Until one day, a Spanish visitor appeared at his court…

- - -

The Spaniard was tall and swarthy, his face dominated by a large broken nose, his black untamed hair covered his eyes, but when you saw them, they glowed with determination. He wore armour and clothes cobbled together from whatever he could find, and the sword he welded had been forged in Byzantium. He swagged into the court of Charlemagne, his men followed him, and every eye of the court rested on them. They were dressed in the similar fashion to their leader, and half of them were Saracen, and one or two seemed to be Avarish.

The courts herald walked up to Charlemagne, who sat on his throne, watching the newcomers carefully.
“My Lord, these Spaniards claim to have killed Widukind.” He whispered into the Kings ear.

The Spaniard bowed before the King.

“Hail, Charlemagne, son of Pepin, Lord and King of Francia. I bring you good tidings in these dark, midwinter times.”

He gestured to one of his underlings, who carried a large sack, and he walked forward, and put the sack on the cold stone floor.

“My Lord.” Continued the Spaniard, “I bring you a present, on this Christmas eve. I present the head, of Widukind, enemy of the Christian peoples of Francia, killed by my sword.”

He unveiled the bag, and a blood stained, half-rotten head rolled onto the floor. The court gasped at this revelation, and Charlemagne leaned forward.

“How do I know that this head you have presented to me is that of Widukind, not some poor peasant Saxon that you ambushed on a lonely road?”

The Spaniard smiled. “I bring the rest of his body.” He gestured to two of his men, they dropped the large bag they were carrying, and a headless body was revealed.

The Spaniard gestured to another of his soldiers, and he carried forward a sword.

“This is his sword, with which he chipped away at your Frankish realm, and other artefacts that where in his possession at the time of his death.”

Blades, socks, a leather cap, a belt and pagan religious icons were dropped onto the floor.

Charlemagne considered the pile of possessions on the floor. “I had not seen Widukind in person, so these are worthless to me.” He turned to the herald standing at his side. “Bring forth a Saxon who was once in league with Widukind.” The herald ran off out of the court, and Charlemagne addressed the Spaniard. “Until he arrives, you and your men shall stay here, as guests in my court.”

- - -

It was late in the evening when the Spaniard was summoned back to the court of the King. It was all but deserted, the great hall cold, despite the candles and fires. The Spaniard and his men had been confided to what had once been a stable, and they had eaten a meagre meal, less then what the servants ate. [2]

In the hall sat Charlemagne, and by his side stood a blonde man dressed in simple clothes. The only other things in the room, besides the ever present guardsmen and the ever vigilant court herald, were the scattered remains of Widukind.

The Spaniard bowed before the king.

“Late is the hour you have summoned me, oh Charlemagne, lord of all Christendom.”

The king gestured to the man at his side.

“This man, is Hwic, a Saxon chief from the Elbe. Once served with Widukind, but converted to Christianity and is now my loyal servant, and is my voice in the Eastfalian lands. He has examined the body and head, and tells me that this is the body of Widukind, the scourge of my eastern lands. I am indebted to you, and yet you were not properly introduced to my court. Tell me your name, and tell me how you came to hear of my request, and how you killed that troublesome pagan.”

The Spaniard bowed again, “My lord, I am Galefe of Toledo, son of Mahond. I am but a mercenary, as are my men. I have fought from the Asturias to the Maghreb, even in Sicily and Alamannia, and once in the lands of the Croats. I was in your Italian lands when I heard of your quest. I gathered my men, and we travelled north. For months we travelled through the Saxon lands, hunting down any speck of information wherever I could find it: From Bohmland to the land of the Danes; we were tempted march east, past the Oder. At last, we found him: in the coastal lands at Abodriti, plotting with those loyal. We attacked under the cover of night, hoping for an element of surprise, but alas. Most of my men were slain, and there was no way that Widukind could be captured alive. I offered him redemption, but he denied, and so I slayed him with my own sword.” [3]

Charlemagne smiled at this. “And you must be rewarded for your actions, Galefe, son of Mahond.

- - -

Richly was Galefe rewarded for his actions. He was given a vast treasure, and granted lands in the north-western part of Saxony. Early in the New Year, he was named Duke of Wessalia, a parcel of land stretching between the Wesse river to the mouth of the Elbe river. He had his name changed to the more Frankish Grimbald, and established a fort on the river Wesse: Wesseburg [OTL Bremen], and another near the mouth of the Elbe, Karsburg on Elbe [OTL Hamburg]. Wessalia was the first Duchy to be carved out of Saxony, and at the campus maii he divided up the rest of Saxony: Northalbingia to the north past Wessalia, Westfalia bordering Austrasia and Frisa, Eastfalia along the Elbe, and Engern between them. [4] Bishoprics were established at Wesseburg and Karlsubrg on Elbe to aid in the conversion of the Saxons, along with spreading the good word north, to the land of the Danes.
785 was also the year that the British monk Alcuin set up his ‘court school’ in Karlsburg. Alcuin had arrived in Francia in 782, and the monk had been quick to move through Charlemagnes court. He was a strong willed scholar, approached life with gusto, and was not afraid of voicing his strong opinions. Charlemagne and Alcuin developed a strong friendship, based around the fact that although Alcuin recognised the attitude expected of courtiers, he did not turn into a faceless yes-man like so many before him. The Emperor could always rely on him for straightforward advice, but of late Charlemagne had neglected what Alcuin had offered him. An example of this had been the offering of a reward for the death of Widukind. Alcuin feared that his death would lead to Widukind achieving the status of a martyr, and as a man well versed in Church history, Alcuin knew the power of a martyr.

So Charlemagne decided to make it up to his friend. He granted Alcuin rights to establish a new court school in Karlsburg, and made him in charge of creating a Royal Library in Karlsburg. His sons received an education from the British monk.
In his job of creating a library for the King, Alcuin came into contact with the group of men at Karlsburg he hated the most, even more then the filthy Saxons (quite literally filthy, they bathed less then Alcuins Frankish patrons!) those bloody Saracen doctors.

They had come to Karlsburg as part of a gift from the far distant Caliph, thanking Charlemagne for helping to overthrow the Umayyads in Spain. [5] And they had quite a different idea about how to cure people then the ‘doctors’ of Francia, whose response was more often then not to chop of the offending limb, or for the victim to drink a mixture composed mostly of treacle or tar.
Alcuin despised them on principle, and would often carry around salted pork to chew on whenever he was in their presence. But, he had to grudgingly admit, their ideas about medicine, transposed from ancient Greek texts was interesting, and Charlemagne claimed them as his property, and ordered Alcuin to transcribe their information.
So, he ordered one of his underling monks to learn Arabic, and set him to work translating the books the Arab doctors brought with them into Latin.

- - -

[1] Well, there was another option, which was what Charlemagne did IOTL, and that was to slaughter 4500 Saxon prisoners at Verden. Although that number may be an exaggeration. ITTL, his previous actions led him to decide to just kill Widukind. Charlemagne is a red haired barbarian after all.

[2] At the royal feasts Charlemagne and his wife, sons and daughters ate first, then the nobles in turn of their standing in court. The Spaniard and his men where ‘guests’ of the King, but for some reason they didn’t eat well.

[3] Galefe is lying. Based on what occurred IOTL, where Widukind relented and converted with the aid of plentiful gifts in 785. Its doubtful that he would have, when presented with mercenaries in the pay of Charlemagne, remained pagan until the end.

[4] this is earlier then OTL.

[5] they were not totally overthrown, as the Emir and one of his sons managed to make it to the Balearic Islands and fight off any Abbasid attacks. Another of his sons roamed the lands near the city of Oporto, before he was killed by the Asturians when they took the city in 790.

- - -

This is fun.

So Charlemagne has secured Catalonia, with Valencia & Toledo as tributaries; the Asturians are doing well in the north-west and the rest is tributary to the Abbasids. And the Basques have been exiled to North Germany. That's going to make a mess of history :)

This is fun.

So Charlemagne has secured Catalonia, with Valencia & Toledo as tributaries; the Asturians are doing well in the north-west and the rest is tributary to the Abbasids. And the Basques have been exiled to North Germany. That's going to make a mess of history :)

Thanks!

It is going to make a mess of history for sure, and Spain isnt going to be the only place touched. its just that this early on its the only place that its noticable.:D

For the rest of the decade, not much really happened in Francia.

Well, that’s not quite true.

Things did happen: crops were harvested, babies were born, old men of forty died, thirteen year olds were married off[1], barons attempted to overthrow the King[2], Dukes overthrown and reinstated and overthrown again, Saxons did their annual uprisings, rebelling minorities were marched to new lands, etc. However, those things had always happened, and were part of the background of life in Francia.

One thing that did happen was the expansion of Francia into Spain, and that was not planed at any campus maii. Suleiman caused trouble again. His original plan in 778 had been to play the red haired Christians against the Abbasids, and to somehow take all of Spain for himself.

It didn’t work because it was full of holes that you could sail a Viking Longship through (what’s a Viking Longship? You’ll see) Suleiman was forced to become a vassal of Charlemagne, and rule over Valencia, rather then the entire Spanish Peninsular. His mother must have been so disappointed.

Anyway, for over ten years he ruled over Valencia, constantly plotting. In 892, he took a chance given by a Saxon uprising in Francia, and attempted to invade the County of Barcelona. He took Saragossa again, and was to march into Aquitaine, when a army marching under the crown of the young king Louis cut him off and defeated him in battles along the Elbo river. The army marched down to Valencia, with the intention of taking the Emirate for Charlemagne. The support of the local aristocracy base was gained, and the occupation and annexation was not as testing, especially since the armies of Francia had experience on how to conduct sieges.

Francia’s tiny, almost forgotten dependency, the Duchy of Auriola that was stuck on the south east of the Spanish Peninsular was rewarded after the annexation of Valencia, with a few small portions of land handed over to the tiny Christian land.

The growth of Auriola was not the only thing of consequence to come out of Suleiman’s foolish actions. While Valencia was annexed, a Christian leader was not immediately appointed. This was because the dukes and aristocrats of Aquitaine bickered over who should take Valencia. So, for about, oh, I don’t know, about eighteen months, maybe two years at the most, Valencia belonged to Francia, but was ruled by a council of Saracen merchants, not a Christian lord. They didn’t send a representative to Karlsburg or anything real like that. But the fact remained: Mohammadians had once ruled a small part of Francia, albeit simply due to the land grabbing activities of the Christians from Aquitaine. This fact was recorded by monks in the Abby of Noirmoutier when they compiled their history of Spain in 800, but it was such a footnote of history event, that it didn’t matter wether it was recorded or not, right?

So, to re-iterate, this was a quiet time for Charlemagne and his Empire.
Bavaria was still a problem. Although they had gone with Charlemagne into Spain, lured by booty, of which the ruler Tassilo III carried away a nice chunk, there was still a unrest. Tassilo was a member of an ancient ducal family, not like Charlemagne and his ancestors. Mayors of the Palace indeed.

He was a marital cousin of Charlemagne, and he was married to a daughter of Desiderius, an ex-king of Lombardy. Charlemagne, like his father and his father before him considered Bavaria to be a vassal. Tassilo, however, was inclined to disagree. This arrogance of Tassilo was egged on by his wife, the hag. In 787, this tension came to a head, and Charlemagne had no choice but to enforce his will on that Tassilo bastard.
Attacking with three armies, Tassilo had no choice but to submit. Bavaria was annexed directly into Francia, and Duke Tassilo was overthrown, and replaced with someone more friendly to Charlemagne.
The other major action by Charlemagne was the securing of Benevento in Southern Italy.
In 787, once Bavaria had been dealt with, Charlemagne turned his attention to Italy. Benevento had been a Lombard duchy, and so when Charlemagne had defeated Desiderius, it had technically fallen under Charlemagne’s control, but the reality was different. After Charlemagne spent winter in Rome, rather then Karlsburg as he had the years before, his army marched on Benevento, but the Duke submitted rather then face the fierce Frankish army on the field of battle. He died shortly afterwards, and his successor managed to play Francia and Byzantium off against each other, and managed to maintain a level of independence.

The next major military action came in the one logical place. Charlemagne had subdued the Saxons, maintained a level of peace in the Spain due to the fact that the small Islamic states were to busy trying to kill each other then wage some kind of war against Francia. The Bavarians had been annexed, Benevento was allied, which left only one area: Francias eastern frontier. It was there that the latest band of roaming angry, angry nomads had set up a state for themselves.

The Avars.

In the big picture of Eurasia, Francia was small fry. The massive empire of the Tang and the Khazars, along with the Abbasid Caliphate were all larger then Francia. When these empires moved, the nomads that were in the way were pushed out of the way, and onto other, weaker areas. The Avars were horsemen who had set themselves up along the lower Danube plain. At the height of their power, in the middle of the 7th century, they threatened Constantinople itself.

Now they just sat on their plain, menacing, and crossing over to attack Bavaria when Charlemagne was distracted elsewhere. They remained pagans, so when Charlemagne considered the Avars, he saw an opportunity for military action and missionary work to go hand in hand. In 791 he planned his attack, and penetrated deep into Avaria. Charlemagne had overestimated the Avars, taking a to large Army into their land, and holding prayers for three days beforehand, and so the army of Francia swept across Avaria. Just as he was in the prime position to annex Avaria, but news from home reached him. Someone calling himself the son of Widukind had emerged, and crossed into Saxony. Charlemagne’s army looted as it left Avaria, and it spent the next three years mopping up rebellious Saxons.

In 796, Charlemagne returned to Avaria, where he plundered the Avar Ring (One ring to rule them all), the Hringum, a large fortress protected by ten levels of circular earthworks protecting it. The concept of attaining plunder from the Hringum attracted the attention of many in Francia, and once again far to many troops marched into Avaria. It took two years to properly pacify the Avars.
For all appearances, Charlemagne’s Avar campaign went well: lots of booty was brought home, several new military marches were established, Christianity was brought to yet another part of world.
In reality, it almost led to his downfall.

Charlemagne’s eldest son, Pippin the hunchback had never considered a strong contender in the succession of his fathers throne. He was born to Charlemagne’s first wife Himiltrude. Despite his deformity he was well liked by his father, and popular in the court. However, he was a popular target by disgruntled nobles, especially after 780, when he was formally disinherited by Charlemagne, cast aside to make room for the three brats of Hildegard.

So, in 796, Pippin, in league with disgruntled nobles, enacted a scheme to kill Hildegard, Charlemagne and their three sons. Charlemagne and his loyal troops were in far of Avaria, it seemed a perfect opportunity to strike, and have a king the nobles could properly control.

The plan was doomed from the start.

At the last moment, Hildegard changed her plans, and left Karlsburg to travel to Aachen. When the forces of Pippins Revolt (as it was later known) arrived at the Palace she was nowhere in sight. Pippin panicked, thinking that someone had discovered their plot and taken the queen to safety. He decided to take control of the palace itself. When his soldiers appeared at the gates of the palace, they had caught the Palace guards almost by surprise, and vicious fighting took place, before Pippin was thrown back when Duke Grimbald of Wesseia arrived at the capital. The Revolters fled the capital and caused panic and fear throughout the countryside until Charlemagne returned from his campaign in Avaria. Charlemagne met the forces of Pippin in battle on the outskirts of Worms, and secured victory. All involved in the plot were convicted of treason, with Pippin escaping the lightest, merely being exiled to a distant monastery in Valencia.
And that mentioning of Churches leads us to our next topic…

- - -

[1] Charlemagne’s wife Hildegard was 13 when she married Charlemagne, who was 29 at the time. Does that make Charlemagne a loli-con?

[2] No Count Hardrad, so there was nothing that major ITTL: he was killed by the Saxons in the events detailed in the previous part.

Good update Scarecrow:cool:

Originally posted by Scarecrow
Francia’s tiny, almost forgotten dependency, the Duchy of Auriola that was stuck on the south east of the Spanish Peninsular was rewarded after the annexation of Valencia, with a few small portions of land handed over to the tiny Christian land.

A mistake that I made in another post was say that Orihuela was in Murcia, not it was in Alicante, also to explain better about the kingdom, it was not so tiny as could have seemed because my explanation about that was centered around Auriola (actual Orihuela) region, the capital was in Auriola, but the kingdom according some versions by modern spanish historians comprised the province of Alicante, the region of Murcia and the southern half part of Albacete province, also part of Jaen and some populations in the northern zone of Granada and Almeria, other versions not give so much territory but continue having all the region of Murcia and great part of Alicante province.

Map of the minimum extension of Auriola kingdom (in the map Auriola is named Oriola, an alternative name to Auriola) according to the versions that give the less possible territory to the Auriola kingdom, so in any case this territory would be the sure territory that all the versions say that at least had the Auriola kingdom.

Tudmir.jpg

Auriola was no doubt one of the little known political entities of the history, it played an interesting although secondary paper in the Spain history, but in other circumstances as the expressed by Scarecrow in the Song of Roland, Auriola had could be an interesting actor in the history of Spain and Europe.

Tudmir.jpg

Last edited:
Good update Scarecrow:cool:

A mistake that I made in another post was say that Orihuela was in Murcia, not it was in Alicante, also to explain better about the kingdom, it was not so tiny as could have seemed because my explanation about that was centered around Auriola (actual Orihuela) region, the capital was in Auriola, but the kingdom according some versions by modern spanish historians comprised the province of Alicante, the region of Murcia and the southern half part of Albacete province, also part of Jaen and some populations in the northern zone of Granada and Almeria, other versions not give so much territory but continue having all the region of Murcia and great part of Alicante province.

Map of the minimum extension of Auriola kingdom (in the map Auriola is named Oriola, an alternative name to Auriola) according to the versions that give the less possible territory to the Auriola kingdom, so in any case this territory would be the sure territory that all the versions say that at least had the Auriola kingdom.

View attachment 22603

Auriola was no doubt one of the little known political entities of the history, it played an interesting although secondary paper in the Spain history, but in other circumstances as the expressed by Scarecrow in the Song of Roland, Auriola had could be an interesting actor in the history of Spain and Europe.

Ah, I see. Its a little bit smaller then what i had on my temp map:D Thanks!

For as long as anyone could remember, the Popes had been elected from Rome’s aristocratic families. When Pope Hadrian died in 795 and Charlemagne wept [1], a new pope was elected, and this all changed: Leo III.

Leo III’s election was cause for some concern amongst Romans: for starters, Leo didn’t come from one of those most noble of families. Moreover, his enemies claimed that Leo was guilty of fornication and perjury! Leo’s rule was not an easy one, and the early months of his pontificate were marred with dissent. In early 797, several of his papal staff led a murderous assault on his supporters. Leo was dragged from his palace during a feast of saints, and set upon with knifes.

His attackers goal was the time honoured tradition of cutting of the tongue and gouging out the eyes. But the attackers fucked up, and Leo survived. Word of his ordeal spread, and his supporters spread the tale that his gouged out eyes and tongue had been miraculously been restored. These rumours encouraged Charlemagne’s local puppet, the Duke Winigis of Spoleto, to put the pontiff up under his roof. From there, Leo was escorted to Karlsburg, where he could plead his case with Charlemagne in person.

- - -

Alcuin sat at his desk, his thick fur coat drawn close around him. The cool October nights in Karsburg bit him to the bone. He read through letters he had received from the other abbeys in Francia. Two abbeys in Aquitaine were claiming a holy relic, what was believed to be a part of the True Cross, as their own; the dispute was getting rather nasty. He was the most senior monk in Francia, his word was law in Francia’s monastic world. In the years he had held the post he had made many enemies through his reforms, the most important of being the library at Karlsburg. That had been an uphill battle, especially in translating the damn Saracen doctors books. The translations weren’t even in the library, they were in Austrasia, held by the eldest heir to the throne Charles.

Even the mere thought of Charles made the room seem colder to Alcuin. He had had constant contact with the young man as he grew up, as Charlemagne shaped him to be his heir, and the books that he read (unlike his father, Charles and his siblings could not only read, but write) had been supplied by Alcuin. City of God by Saint Augustine by Hippo was a favourite of Charles the elder [2], and Charles the younger had read it, but moved on to other things.

Charles had a glint in his eye that his father never possessed. Charles the elder had fought off his brother to gain the empire in full, and had done it in a manner that did not make him stand out from his barbarian forefathers, bar he desire to spread the word of God to the conquered people. Charles however, had been raised to be a ruler, to inherit the lion’s share of the Empire once his father had died. When that sad day came, and soon it would be, for Charlemagne was over forty and edging past fifty towards sixty, then Charles the younger would take to the field of battle to challenge his brothers Louis and Pippin. He knew how to rule, and to fight; his campaigns in the Breton March and Saxony alongside his father proved this. He would beat both his brothers, and the Empire would be his.

Pepin knew how to fight, his experiences in what had once been the lands of the Avar were proof enough, but he had troubles in Italy more reminiscing of the power struggles in Byzantium then anything Frankish. And of Louis? Charlemagne’s least favourite son was more content to take an interest in the Church rather then ruling. He was prone to tempers, often issuing terrible punishments only to lament and seek penitence later. In his hands the Empire would suffer.

A knocking at his door interrupted his thoughts. He opened the door, and there stood a page from the Kings court.

“Oh Alcuin, the hour is late, but the King requests your presence in his court.” Said the page.

“At this late hour?”

“My Lord King says it is an issue of most grave importance.”

Grumbling, Alcuin scribbled a quick note that the relic of the holy cross should go to the Abbey at Clermont, and followed the page through the cold, windy corridors of the palace until they reached the court of the king. There stood the King, and next to him was a man dressed in rich purple robes, surrounded by guards. On the other side of the room stood another man, equally surrounded by guards. Of the first man bandages obscured his left eye, and he spoke with a most pronounced lisp. At the presence of Alcuin the conversation stopped, and the King gestured for the monk to join them.

“My dear Alcuin, I am pleased that you had time to join use here to discuss a most important issue. As an impartial observer, I ask of your help in this matter. This man is Pope Leo III. Hear his tale.”

He gestured to the pope to speak, and in a stuttering timbre told of how he had been attacked brutally by his enemies, and had come here to request the Kings aid. Charlemagne then gesture to the other man, who was from that opposing party, and he spoke of how Leo had been involved in crimes of perjury and fornication, and got exactly what he deserved, and he would like to that the Popes attackers, whoever they where, despite the fact that the job they did was only half done when they were paid in full.

Almost as soon as he had finished speaking, Alcuin stood up and shouted in disgust. “It is in my view that God has restrained the wicked from conducting their evil will. If this is the state of affairs in Rome, then deep bogs of evilness spread their mist where the springs of holiness should send forth streams of holiness!”

As he ranted, Pope Leo smiled.

- - -

Charles, advised by Alcuin took the action to support Leo III, and ordered the pope to be escorted from Karslburg back to Rome, and arranged for the Popes accusers to be dealt with at a later date, when he would follow the Pope back to Rome. But let it not be thought that he had decided this by weighing up the evidence and decided in the Popes favour: It was because he had accepted that the successor of St. Paul was above human law.

Other events crucial to the events of Christmas in 800 occurred that must be discussed here. The first being the handling of Frankish diplomacy. When the Byzantine Throne became vacant [3], Charlemagne moved to strengthen the already strong ties with the Caliph, Harun al-Rascid. The Caliphate and Francia had been close since 778, but now they were once again drawn close due to the arrival of a common enemy. The first being the Umayyad Emir, the second, more recent: the Empress Irene. Like Charlemagne, Harun al-Rascid refused to do business with the woman who had so scandalised the leader of Latin Christendom by usurping the throne. [4]
Now that red haired Frankish warrior was now acknowledged by the Caliph as the one successor (albeit de facto) of the Caesars.

With his ego now somewhere in the stratosphere, Charlemagne spent most of 800 as he had the years before. On campaign. First, up to the Channel coast to supervise the building of a fleet of ships to counter the Danish curs who were threatening his Friscan lands. Then he went all over the bloody place: Easter at Saint-Riquier, a family conference with his three sons in Tours, ever brainy Alcuin at his side. Then down to Barcelona, and then to Valencia to see the new Cathedral, then to Ravenna to drop in on Pepin. Now, his leisurely circuit took him to Rome, where he was greeted by Leo at the twelfth milestone [5]
The next day (the 24th of November) Charles was greeted by Leo on the steps of St Peters in a more elaborate ceremony before a crowd of citizens.

In Rome, Charles summoned a synod to settle the whole, ‘Leo isn’t the Pope’ business, received the keys to holy sites in Jerusalem via his envoy from Harun al-Rascid (a great propaganda coup by the King, and a great big fuck you to Empress Irene). While Charlemagne wasn’t quite in a position to protect his co-religionists in the Holy Land, it sent shock waves through Byzantium. It was the Imperial line that no mater what the moral standing of the holder of the office, the Empire was one and indivisible. Nervous messengers scurried back to Constantinople with shocking news: that this red haired barbarian from the far frozen North was preparing to wrap himself in the Imperial Purple!

Chirstmas, 800 AD. Rome: -1 to 7 degrees Celsius, clear in the morning, ending with the crowning of an Emperor and light snow in the evening.

On that day, Charles attended the Nativity Mass at St Peters. At the head of the congregation, Charles prostrated himself for the petitionary prayers. Upon their conclusion, Charles rose, and the Pope placed a circle of gold upon his head.
At this the congregation proclaimed Charles the emperor:

Carolo pissimo augusto, a Deo coronato magno et pacifico imperatore vita et victoria!

The Byzantine embassy had a bit of trouble finding a messenger who was prepared to take that message back to Constantinople

Merry Christmas Charlemagne.

- - -

[1] Charlemagne and Pope Hadrian had a very good relationship: Charlemagne often referred to Hadrian as father.

[2] Charlemagne’s name was Charles, it’s just that we (the 21st Century reader) know him by the name of Charlemagne, a corruption of Charlus Magnus, Charles the Great. Its just easier in writing this to call him Charlemagne.

[3] well, vacant enough to satisfy Charlemagne.

[4] Empress Irene’s back-story is a most interesting one, but, alas it is not important to the story. For more information, go read a book at your local library. Or ask Midgard. Hmm, the second one would probably be best. Its probably best to say this here: the Iconoclastic controversy is as it was IOTL.

[5] The Symbolism of this is significant. As an honoured patricius Romanorum, Charles might have expected to be greeted by a delegation on behalf of the city two kilometres outside the city wall.

- - -

thoughts?

I go this done last night, so I decded to post it anyway.

- - -

Charlemagne got lucky at the time of his coronation. The throne of the Byzantine Empire was conveniently empty, occupied by the Empress Irene, so there was no Byzantine claim to counter his. When an Emperor did rise to the throne, in 802, when Nicephorus overthrows Irene, what could only be described as a state of cold war between the two Emperors began. Both empires had a series of conflicts, flashpoints if you will: Venice, Naples and Benevento.

Venice was where the hammer fell hardest. In 801, The Doge of Venice declared his loyalty to the new Emperor in the west. [1]This loyalty didn’t last very long: In 809 Venice revolted against the rule of Charlemagne’s representative in Italy, King Pepin. Pepin laid siege to the city, but it was to no avail.
Venice you see, was built on an island. In a lagoon. No problem says Pepin, we just lay siege outside the lagoon, and then march across.
Venice manages to get supplied from that bastard Nicephorus, who has a rather nifty navy, while Francia lacks any sort of real Navy in the Mediterranean, apart from a few ships at Barcelona. The crafty Venetians then put stakes through the Lagoon, preventing any possible attack from land. Se safe was the Venice that the citizens actually chucked bread over the stockade to the Frankish soldiers.

The siege of Venice ended in a spectacular failure for Francia: one that would set the tone for the last four years of Charlemagne’s rule. In retreat back to his castle, Pepin caught a pox and came ill, before finally dieing in late 809.

His death stunned Charlemagne. Three years earlier he had drawn up how his three sons would divide up his lands. Now Italy would pass to Pepin’s son Bernard. Now, as in Charlemagne’s youth, the Empire would be divided between two sons, Charles in the Northern, traditional Frankish heartlands, and Louis in the south west, the newer, older Roman lands.

Except that Louis had a mind of his own. In March of 811, Louis abdicated his throne, and joined a monastery, with his son Lothar taking the Aquitainian throne. Which left (apart from the numerous half-sons littered about the place) only Charlemagne’s eldest and favourite, Charles as the heir to the throne. [2]

Peace came to the two Empires that where not quite at war in 810. Charlemagne and his ‘brother’ Emperor Nicephorus had been in negotiations, and had reached the point of preparing a treaty of perpetual peace. And then, he died, killed fighting another of those now sedentary nomads from the plains, the Bulgars. His successor, Michael I Rhangabe wanted to be rid of the long running feud over the Imperial title, and in return for the abandonment of Frankish claims to Venice, was prepared to offer the (ill-defined) honorific of ‘Emperor’. The treaty was signed in 812, when so much had changed from 810.

In November, Charlemagne called a major assembly at Karslburg, calling church and administrative leaders from all corners of his Empire. There, he had the pope crown his one surviving son as Co-Emperor.

From the time of the death of Pepin, life in Francia was…rather bad. In 810, a plague struck the livestock across his land. Saracen raiders plundered his Italy and Providence, and Danes looted the Atlantic seaboard.

It was these last foes that Charlemagne confronted on his final campaign. The Danes had invaded Francia in 808, only to be repulsed. Their King Godfred, fearing attack, ordered a massive wall to be built across the Jutland isthmus, to prevent Charlemagne turning his eye north. In 810 he was killed by a rival and Denmark fell into civil war. The civil war ravaged the pagan kingdom for two years, and the new King had barely taken the throne when Charlemagne and Charles appeared out of the south. An army was mustered, and they met Charlemagne on three occasions, each a narrow victory for the Franks. The Emperors chased the Danes around the peninsular for most of 813, and as the first snows of winter fell, Charlemagne laid siege to the city of Ripen, the final holdout of Danish power on the mainland.

- - -

Charlemagne was a very old man in 813.his bones were brittle, his hair white, and his knees and back ached. But his spirit was strong. Holding his sons arm, he walked out of his tent, and out into the crisp air, coughing into a rag. He was always coughing these days. Just beyond the forest lay Ripen, smoke rising from its burning buildings obscured the morning sun.

It got cold quickly in the land of the Danes. Wearing a jacket made from the pelt of a massive bear, Charlemagne stumbled over the uneven ground, to where his soldiers stood. As he stumbled, he waved away his sons helping hands, his pride to strong to accept any help. The camp had been made on the outskirts of a forest, and the snow laden trees were still and silent. No birds sat in the trees, a bad omen, or so whispered the soldiers. On the previous nights a bright comet had been seen in the sky, yet another bad omen muttered the men. Charles dismissed it. He didn’t blame the birds for not being here, out in the cold. Give him half a chance and he would join them somewhere warm, but he had to be here, on campaign as winter was beginning to set in, helping his ailing father. His father had demanded to inspect the troops, and so here they were, all lined up in the cold, Charlemagne asking them their names and telling them to fight well in battle. He had gotten to the end of the line, and…he fell over, slowly, and hit the ground.

Hard.

Two soldiers carried him to his tent and a doctor fetched, but by the time he had been found, the life had left Charlemagne’s body. The entire army wept, and tearful messengers were sent south.

As the day continued, word got around that the Danes had slipped poison into Charlemagne’s food, and the sorrow turned to anger. The next day, as Charles sat in mourning, the two Frankish Armies on the outskirts of Ripen attacked the city. They fought for three days, and by the end there was nothing left of the city, not a single building stood standing, no citizen that had not been murdered and their heads stuck on poles around the city. Across Denmark, the story was repeated, as towns and villages were burned down, menfolk murdered and womenfolk raped and murdered. The entire Jutland peninsular was turned into a funeral pyre.

- - -

From the rising of the sun to the shore of the sea where it sets all hearts are full of sorrow. Alas! The Franks, the Romans and all the Christian peoples weep, bowed in sorrows…The kingdom of the Franks has suffered many disasters but never has it suffered such great grief as in the moment when the awe-inspiring and eloquent Charlemagne was laid to rest in Karlsburg. O Christ, welcome the pious Charlemagne into your blessed home among the apostles.

- - -

[1] Four years earlier then OTL.

[2] OTL Charles died either of a stroke or in battle. Either way, the battle he fought didn’t occur ITTL, and the presence of slightly better medicine imported from the Saracen doctors has allowed him to survive.

- - -

thoughts?

And the final part before we move on to Charles.

- - -

Charlemagne stared at the images that faded as the fire slowly died. He sat in silence, considering what he had seen. The other man sat ignoring him as he dished up the stew, before Charlemagne a bowl and a spoon.

“So, Charlemagne the first, was that interesting?”

“I, I have never seen myself without a mirror, and yet here I sit, looking into your fire, watching myself die. What magic is this?” he asked.

The other man shrugged. “I don’t know, but its not that important. Why don’t you tell me a few things, we still have time while we eat the stew. Are you happy with what you have done? Are you happy with your empire you have built and left to your one son?”

Charlemagne stooped eating for a moment and stared at the man.

“What sort of question is that? Am I happy with my Empire? What the hells that mean?” he demanded, and the other man laughed.

“Alright then, how about this. How do you think Charles will handle being Emperor of Francia, rather then just King of Neustria?”

“I have faith in my son. I had raised him to take the lion’s share of my Empire, but he has his work cut out for him, especially in the South, in Italy and Aquitaine.”

The man nodded at this, and they sat in silence eating the stew.

Finally, Charlemagne said;

“Who are you?”

The man chucked. “I don’t quite know.” He replied.

“Are you a saint?”

“Maybe.”

“Or, are you an angel?”

“I could be.”

Charlemagne stared at him long and hard.

“Are you god? Jesus?”

“I could possibly be either one of those. Or neither. Or both.”

He smiled and finished his stew, and put his bowl and spoon down, and stood up.

“This is where I leave you Charlemagne. I have other people to see tonight. It was interesting talking to you.”

He held out his hand, but Charlemagne stared at it.

“Where are you going?” he asked, his brow furrowed.

“Oh, just around.”

“What do I have to do?”

The man shrugged. “I don’t know. There is some more stew in the pot. Just wait and see. You can relax you know. Nice meeting you.”

Whistling, the man walked off, into the forest, leaving Charlemagne sitting by the fire.

So Ends the Song of Charlemange.

in a desperate attempt to gather comments, I present to thee this map.

the next post is the larger version, but without any text, unless i want to do the text in Paint. I had to save it as a .GIF file rather the PNG,as that was to large, so the quality suffers

untitled.GIF

and this is the large, non-text version. Enjoy!

Now the first section was, I will admit, sorta boring, but the next song, the song of whatever, will be better then ten superbowls!:D ;) :p

Empire_814(Reduced).PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.