You should probably just start reading from here on out
India

Gandhara – centered around Purusapura, the wealthy “city of men”, Gandhara is a country of stunning mountains and valleys. While nominally a republic (or more accurately an equal-kingdom) after repulsing a full-scale Kipchak invasion in 911, the Bitihrota family has maintained off and on dominance over the state – turning the position of “Prime Minister” into an almost hereditary office. Gandharan politicians have a reputation throughout India and Iran for being clannish and nepotistic, one which has led to the common innuendo “In the Gandharan manner” being used to describe any sort of corrupt family politics.

Gandhara’s less than enviable position at the very gates of the subcontinent has forced them to maintain one of the finest armies in the region. The Gandharan councils can raise hundreds of war elephants and tens of thousands of guild-warriors augmented by Afghan and Turkic tribal auxiliaries. Over time, these Turko-Afghan warriors, called Sahputi, have gained increasing authority at the expense of the guilds. Their knowledge of the hilly country of Afghanistan has proved invaluable in countering ambitious Khardi Satraps, and although they cannot hold political office, the Sahputi have become a military caste in their own right, settled across the the frontier.

At the dawn of the 12th century, Gandhara is a wealthy and proudly independent country. After centuries of Aghatsaghid rule, they have finally become prosperous in their own right, building enormous hydraulic works to maintain alpine rice fields and enormous, decadent temples and stupa across the mountainsides of their equal-kingdom.

Sindh – With the collapse of the Dauwa regime in 1057, Sindh was left in a short-lived state of anarchy. Gandhara proved too weak and disinterested to fix the power vacuum their wars had created. After crushing the last Dauwa monarch in pitched battle, they simply abandoned the country to its own devices. What emerged in the aftermath was a curious hybrid state based on Multan. Alternately called Sindh or Trigarta, this new kingdom was founded by a local warlord named Sansar Chand and by 1082 had reunited Sindh under his authority.

Sansar Chand tore down the Dauwa state bureaucracy and expelled the foreign mercenaries entirely. A pious and devout man, he gave most of the conquered estates to local community temples, founding sangha wherever he went. The new Sindh is accordingly a sort of theocratic merchant republic, albeit one with a powerful dynasty at its head.

Chandratreya Empire – In 1100, the Chandratreya Empire is quite possibly the richest and most powerful empire in the world. While it has had a series of royal capitals, such as rock-cut Elapura and Manyakheta, it is the coastal cities of this vast decentralized Empire where true power lies. Ruled by a Great King of Kings, the Chandratreya have never embraced the concept or structure of the equal-kingdoms which are so commonplace in post-Revolution India. While guilds and republican city-states abound along the coastal regions, their heartland in the Deccan is an agglomeration of directly administered royal territory and companies, and the periphery of their state is guarded by numerous vassal kings.

The royal councilors and adminstrators are often drawn from guild ranks, but the Chandratreya keep their own army, drawn from their vassals and their own professional forces. They distrust armed guilds and prefer to force the merchant guilds to use their soldiers and navy rather than allowing them to keep private forces. This in particular has kept the Chandratreya state from becoming subsumed to the interests of powerful financial factions. Ruling a vast portion of the subcontinent, the collapse of the Pancharajya has left Maharaja Sharva Chandratreya the most powerful man in India, a power broker in the conflicts between the Gangetic kingdoms. However, some whisper that his Jain minister Kannara holds real power, or that he is nothing more than a hedonistic lout madly obsessed with his wife Vijarma.

Chandratreya society, unlike large parts of medieval India, has unprecedented social mobility. The “Sixteen Castes” are all capable of owning land and property, and while certain rules and customs dictate their place in religious observances, in day to day commerce or the civil service people can rise from exceptionally lowly origins to positions of high rank. The language of the court and learned men is increasingly the vernacular Kannada language, and in this sense the Chandratreya have encouraged regionalism of a sort.

Chola – the Chola are first among equals in the great patchwork of south Indian dynasties, ruling over the Pallava, Hoysala and others. Innovators in the field of finance and commerce, their nagaram corporations have influence far and wide. In 1100, they are ruled by Virarajendra Chola, an ambitious ruler who has done much to expand Chola influence over Andhra at the expense of the mighty northern Chandratreya.

The Chola regime has never faced the sorts of difficulties experienced by their northern counterparts. In the south, Equal-Kingdoms are a strange and unwelcome notion. The guilds have prospered in no small part because they lack direct political ambitions, and accordingly spend their energy outwards rather than on self-defeating quests at internal authority. The Chola do not have an Ayat of their own, although traditionally the large corporations have always had the ear of the monarch.

Utkaladesha – after the rebellion of 947, Utkaladesha began to slip into the Chola orbit. Her guilds were prosperous but not so rich that they could avoid being bought out or subverted by powerful Tamil and Vangali organizations. Accordingly, although Utkaladesha remains an equal-kingdom of no little importance, the goshthi faction which dominates in the Ayat is in many senses a puppet to powerful foreign influences. This has not prevented Utkaladesha from expanding into the tribal areas to the north, land seizures which have granted the bureaucratic scholar-gentry more power.

Andhra – Another vassal of the Chola, the Andhran city of Narayanaksherta is now the capital of Andhra, having eclipsed the ancient site of Vinukonda. Narayanaksherta is now the seat of Ayat and answers directly to the Chola monarch. A puppet King has been placed on the throne of Andhra, belonging to the inconsequential Arinjaya Kalapalar, a rubber-stamp for the actions of the Ayat and the Chola guilds.

However, Andhra has become a country divided. Vengipura, the proud ancient capital remains in the hands of the landholding guilds and is an equal-kingdom of its own under the rule of a “viceroy” named Siyata Khottiga. Khottiga’s Vengipuran holdings have become an armed camp of sorts. Since 1080, he has embarked on a substantial program of fortification, shoring up the walls of Vengipura and establishing the Ayat at a new fortified palace-hall cut into a nearby hill. This fortified palace is said to have sufficient granaries and cisterns to survive for five years if besieged, and to be connected by underground tunnels to the city itself.

While open war has been rare lately, Narayanaksherta has been buying up immense quantities of firepowder and Arabian horses, and according to rumor they hope to destroy Vengipura. However, they dare not move without the backing of the Chola, because Vengipura has a powerful patron in the form of the local Chandratreya Uparika.

Magadha – The famous birthplace of empires survived Anapota’s reign relatively intact. A seat of culture, philosophy, and technological innovation since the Gupta era, Magadha is now once more an independent kingdom under Kaivarta Soumitri, the son of a former general of Achyuta who rose to power after the death of the latter man in 1062. Pataliputra remains one of the largest cities on the subcontinent, comparable in population to most of its great rivals and yet far more prestigious. A “city clotted with palaces” in the words of the Chinese adventurer Zhao Li, Pataliputra is also home to some of the greatest Buddhist monasteries in the world.

Day to day management of Magadha is the province of local Ayat councils – Magadha remains an equal-kingdom in that sense. However executive authority is wholly concentrated in the various adopted princes of the Soumitri dynasty, who have broad purview to act extrajudicially. The general populace has no recourse other than appealing directly to the monarch, a complicated process which can only be done through the Ayat. Magadha has fought three wars with the city of Tamralipta, the last of which conquered the city and brought much of Vanga under Magadhan control. Notably, Kaivarta Soumitri is an atheist, a member of a latter Carvaka sect which holds that nothing exists which cannot be observed. This has won him little love from the great universities and monasteries of his kingdom.

Kosala – The Kirata dynasty rules Kosala as an effectively feudal state, having conquered an outsized realm far beyond the traditional boundaries of Kosala. Ayodhya, an ancient and powerful city, serves as their capital, and their kingdom is one of the strongest and wealthiest of the Pancharajya successor states. The Kirata, being a Nepalese warrior clan from the mountains, have brought a certain martial spirit to their kingdom that their rivals typically lack. They are fortress-builders and have used these fortresses to turn themselves into a landed aristocracy not so different from the feudal retainers of Europe or Japan.

Hiring mercenaries from as far afield as the Sahputs of Afghanistan, they have won battle after battle against the guild armies of Magadha and Panchala. Their military tactics, however, are beginning to look outdated in a world where any peasant can be trained to hold a fire-spear or a hand-cannon. Furthermore, their rival guilds have begun adapting tactically, as well as hiring more freely and expanding their numbers immensely. The battle of Kampilya in 1099 is a perfect example of the decline of the Kosala – the Panchala guilds took cover behind quickly erected wooden ramparts and decimated a Kirata charge with firespears and their famed longbows.

Panchala – Republican tradition is preserved among Panchala, a league of cities sometimes called the Three Kingdoms. Here, as in Surasena, the Ayats have remained dominant, and they elect viceroys and ministers rather than kings. Panchala has been on the rise for the past several generations, as their guild armies have adapted, hiring thousands of fresh soldiers and importing large numbers of horses from Iran. Lately they have been winning battle after battle, reducing the Kirata and the republic of Surasena in the process.

Surasena – Centered on the holy Yamuna river, Surasena is a deeply religious country, one with a reputation for mysticism. Having lost many wars against Panchala, it is also an unstable one, ruled by a succession of petty despots. Mathura, its capital, is a place under effective mob rule, and many educated people have called for a union with Panchala, and a restoration of the Pancharajya, under which the people prospered.

Pajcanada – The Country of the Five Rivers, which the Iranians called Panjab, is assuredly one of the most long-suffering of the Indian states. It has long been a land of petty kingdoms, foreign conquerors, and most recently Gandharan dominion. However, in 1046,the city of Lohawar broke free of the Gandharan yoke and has pressed Gandhara back towards the mountains, gaining control of the Sutlej and Ravi rivers. Pajcanada, ruled by the native Panwarawat dynasty, does not have the prestige of many of its rivals. They are seen as upstarts and rebels, tillers of the soil whose country sits wedged between far greater powers.

Lohawar itself has grown substantially in the past thirty years, expanding to cope with the exigencies of the large kingdom it now finds itself ruling. In contrast to the Gandharans, whose regime is increasingly preoccupied with threats from the West, it exists in relative safety – most of Pajcanada’s neighbors are distracted and weak.

Vrji – a long suffering buffer state between the Kirata of Kosala and the Soumitri of Magadha, Vrji has had her borders systematically disrespected over the last seventy years to the point that her Ayat barely controls any territory outside of the city of Vaisali. Currently, the Vrji Ayat pays heavy tribute to the Kirata, and her walls are manned by Kirata soldiers.

Wow. This now looks not only like a great story, but also like a great setting.

I wonder how you're going to describe the Khardi and Frankish empires. Are you going to describe them in one entry each, or by regions?

Nice indeed. Do we have a still-relatively-up-to-date map of India to make it a bit cleared where everyone is located?

The world map I posted a few pages back includes India, although I'll be the first to admit it's rather rough and doesn't show where the Pancharajya's successor states are. For that you'll probably have to wait until I get done the hundred-some regions and nations I have yet to write up. After I do that, I intend to go back and make some new maps.

However, I will say that I named them all after traditional Indian kingdoms from the pre-Mauryan era. So if you're curious and don't feel like waiting, they roughly correspond to those semi-mythic polities.

After every country is caught up to 1100, I'm going to announce this phase of the story officially done. To answer your question, Ahigin, the Khardi and Frankish updates will be subdivided. The Khardi update in particular will be tricky because I'm going to cover the Asian Votive Wars before I get to them.

Very nice. Quite a lot of potential directions things could go after 1100 in India. Personally I kind of want to see one last hurrah for the nomadic invaders... that's how this TL started, after all. I'm not sure any outsider could hold all of India at this point but it would be interesting to see how the Indian states band together and/or backstab each other.

Been catching up with the last few pages... one thing I thought of, what's happening in Korea? I don't think it's been mentioned at all up till now.

What are the major trade routes in India? I get a vague sense that textiles are moving around but not really who sells what to who, which would be driving this commercial revolution.

Last edited:
You're right that the nomadic invaders should get some sort of appropriate last hurrah, I think. A lot of the conditions which led to the rise of the Mongols, after all, haven't been butterflied or are still recognizable. The fact that alt-mongols will probably do way worse is a given, but it'll be something for me to consider. However, any alt-Mongol rise will probably be post discovery of the new world, and will be covered in the next thread.

Korea was actually rather recently mentioned. However, a current update will have to wait until I reach Korea in my big mass update series.

A lot of the major trade routes are from India to out of India, which means that the guild system is often undercutting local cottage industry. The majority of trade in volume is probably finished goods, but luxuries such as silks and spices are small quantities with high returns - although lower now since Europe is frequently cut off from trade.

Big manufacturing regions are along the Ganges and in South India (particularly the Chola trade cities and Sri Lanka) while obviously across the board large portions of the subcontinent, even those notionally under guild work, are engaged in agricultural labor. Primitive industrialization has been slower but is still happening along the west coast, in OTL Gujarat. However, this is being undercut by the fact that Chandratreya state revenues absolutely don't depend on the guilds, so there's less central investment.

You're right that the nomadic invaders should get some sort of appropriate last hurrah, I think. A lot of the conditions which led to the rise of the Mongols, after all, haven't been butterflied or are still recognizable. The fact that alt-mongols will probably do way worse is a given, but it'll be something for me to consider. However, any alt-Mongol rise will probably be post discovery of the new world, and will be covered in the next thread.

Considering how well the Mongols ended up, their alt-counterparts doing way worse still sounds like they could wreck someone pretty badly

I imagine the Franks might benefit quite well if these new nomads maim their syncretic Buddhist neighbors, which might open up the possibility of a long-term successful votive war in the Balkans and eastern Europe

Well, the Khardi I think are due for a major setback now, in the context of the ever shifting cycle of Middle Eastern Dynasties. As others have said, there is room for one last huge nomadic invasion, though I doubt that it would be anywhere near as devastating as the Mongols.

I promise it's not too much
Arabia

Aden – The “beautiful sails” of South Arabia all come to dock in Aden. The children of Himyar still dwell in the town which has existed since the dawn of time itself, but Aden is a cosmopolitan and peninsular city now. Jains and Buddhists live among Jews and Pagans, and there is a thriving Egyptian and Indian community.

South Arabia looks to Africa and the East for wealth and opportunity. The collapse of the Hawiya has forced them to seek close relations with the people of Pazudesada along the Savahila coast. From Africa and the Isle of the Moon come the Zanj slaves who work the spice plantations of the interior, where changing environmental conditions have allowed some reservoirs to finally replenish.

The Malik of Aden is himself a Jew, but his sect is peculiar, accepting reincarnation as part of his God’s plan. And while the Malik may answer to the Hadhrami, he does so only begrudgingly, dreaming of the day when the world’s oldest city might one day throw off its shackles and spread its wings.

Hadhramut – The Hadhramut once were the greatest merchants in the world, and they are acutely aware of this fact. Nowdays, of course, they are not the greatest merchants in the world. If any in Arabia claim that title, it is the prosperous cities of the Gulf or perhaps Aden to the southwest. However, they do still have some prestige. Their desert monasteries are the center of Buddhism in Arabia, and they still do excellent trade with Asia. Hadhrami sailors are considered some of the best in the world, even if their ship designs have adopted Chinese and Indian innovations, and their ships are more often than not owned by Adeni aristocrats or Bharukacchan guilds.

Al-Taif - Arabia has had something of a crisis of identity since the collapse of Saihism. While its adherents saw the dawn of the Saihist movement and the revelations of their prophetess as a great and transformative moment in Arab history, the benefit of hindsight has placed the Saihist cult among the great religious upheavals in the wake of Eftal collapse.

Al-Taif remains the greatest city in the Hejaz, a region which as it has ever been is deeply divided. Christians, Jews, Buddhists, and pagans live side by side – here the great conflicts are between tribal groups. Identity is based on kinship, and with the fracturing of the community of believers, Saihism is no more compelling than any other cult. With the fall of Saihism, many of the protections for women that it allowed have gradually begun to roll back. Divorce has become a trickier matter, particularly among the growing minority of Christian converts.

An old Arabic saying says “Prophethood is cheap. Conviction is costly.” Nowhere is that more true than the Hejaz, where many have claimed the mantle of divine inspiration, to speak for Buddha or Christ or any number of pagan deities. However, if prophethood is cheap, it is also appealing. The overland trade routes themselves have become far less valuable in recent years. Warfare between tribal groups is endemic, and people seek inspiration and escape where they can.

The cities of the Gulf – Mazun and Dilmun are the chief potentates of the Gulf, but all of the many city-states of the region are loosely aligned around a single inescapable fact – they owe their very existence to the mercy of the Khardi and Bharukaccha, and should either of those two mighty patrons turn against them they would cease to be with remarkable swiftness.

However, Arabia remains a port of escape for the Nestorian Asorig populations who were capable of fleeing Mesopotamia. Accordingly, eastern Arabia is filled with Christians and Zoroastrians, far in excess of any other religious group, even if these outsiders do often pray at the temples of the Fisher-God and other traditional pagan shrines for the political benefits.

In almost every sense, these are weak powers, but they perform a vital role as mercantile stopovers and a source of rare pearls.

[I agree with Bmao. In particular there's not necessarily any reason for an equivalent nomadic conqueror to be as devastating as the Mongols either, even if they do enjoy sweeping successes.]

I've got a feeling that Saihism is going to end up as TTL's Jainism (the "smallest major religion" in the world).

Add to that the fact that Jainism has generally done better for itself in this timeline - lots of communities in Africa now, which will outlast the (Hindu) Chandratreya monarchs and whatever pursuit of religious orthodoxy they might engage in.

Nice. There is both well-founded local difference and a feel of something common across your description of Arabia. At the periphery of true global power, but who knows if that isn't quite a good place to be for the time being...

it will help you understand a lot
North Africa

Masamida – North Africa’s states and territorial borders are effectively calcified. Warfare between the Berber kingdoms is for the first time in centuries extremely rare. The Agilld of Masamida and his peers see themselves as a sort of confederation of brother tribes. Those who have opposed this harmonious union have generally suffered for it.

Masamida is the most prosperous of the Berber states, having a direct route across the Sahara both overland and by sea. The three main trade goods that come across the desert are salt, gold, and slaves, but all manner of goods travel across the desert and enterprising clans have made them rich beyond their wildest dreams.

The Masamida themselves have begun moving beyond the kinship-based trappings of tribal society and towards a more centralized monarchy, as have the other Berber tribes. By 1100 this is a process well under way. The Agilld rules with near absolute authority, and while the army is still called up in accordance with old tribal customs, the practice of recruiting and maintaining “slave soldiers” is growing – armies of black warriors directly employed by the state and freed after a contract of twenty years.

Iktamen – If Masamida is the most prosperous, the Iktamen are perhaps the weakest. Despite what should be a strong position, they have been cut out of the overland trade by an alliance between the Masamida and many prominent Taureg clans. Accordingly they only get a fraction of the trade revenue of their supposed “brothers” to the west.

Iktamen accordingly has a reputation for being a land of brigands and raiders, wild and unruly mercenaries and pirates. The Agilld rules out of the city of Icosi but his power is distinctly limited. He does not have a private slave army to support his ambitions, but instead tries to strike corrupt bargains with local raider-clans. Icosi itself has a well-deserved reputation as a den of sin, inequity, and piracy. To quote the Italian traveler, womanizer, and (eventually) mercenary Niccolo Cosca, who travelled there in 1089, it is “a canker sore on the mouth of our mother sea; to revisit time and again gives pleasure but only increases one’s later suffering.”

Iswaiyen – The Agilld of Iswaiyen is married to the sister of the Iznagen king, and accordingly the two realms in 1100 are incredibly closely allied. The notion of “brother kings” here is not a fiction but rather a potent reality. Iswaiyen has a reputation for being a land of magicians and strange gods – it boasts incredibly light Mauri settlement, in no small part because it suffered the most from the decline of African agriculture several centuries back. Accordingly there are few Christians in the whole of Iswaiyen, and the Iswaiyeni themselves are almost universally pagans.

Iznagen – The Mauri themselves hailed from the western part of North Africa, but you would not know it now. Nowdays, those who have not packed their bags and sailed to Christendom live in Carthago and its environs. Accordingly, the Iznagen rule a surprisingly urban and Christian realm, and the only state which is at all comparable in power with the Masamida. Despite their distance and the presence of two potent buffer states, the Iznagen have a sort of friendly rivalry with the Masamida.

In Carthago, coins pay tribute to holy Isau, son of God, but outside the suburban sprawl of the city, and even in rival cities such as Hifo and Buna, local gods predominated, often worshiped alongside the Christian God or as angels or saints.

Hawwaya – Unlike their western counterparts, the Hawwaya have no one King, and have not for a century and a half. Their realm, the sprawling expanse of Libya and its many oasis states, is fractured into rival clans. Water here is life, as agriculture is extremely limited.

Hawwaya has a reputation for lawless anarchy even greater than that of the Iktamen, but it also controls the trade routes between North Africa and Kanem. By the death of Dunama Kay, they had splintered into a variety of independent oasis cities each under their own king. Despite some consolidation among the magistrates of coastal cities, generally the Hawwaya have remained a tribal group in chaos – at once too poor and too violent to worry about directly annexing.

Christianity has made significant inroads among the Hawwaya as well, although it is as often as not the apocalyptic heresy of the Kanem Students. Dalai Christianity, as it is commonly known, is the faith of desert raiders and bandits who see themselves as bringing purity to the unbelievers, and accordingly can justify any atrocity. Because of the Dalai, if for no other reason, most traders prefer to travel along the safe trade lanes kept by Taureg merchants.

Cyrene – In 1068, Cyrene was brought under the control of the Iranian Empire by the Khardi general Jehatmihra Kakavand, bringing an abrupt end to the short-lived Igiderid dynasty. Kakavand’s nephew Farrokh was installed as the new Shah of the region, and given a small garrison force with which to maintain order. By 1097, however, most of the garrison was recalled to deal with a full-scale Makurian invasion of Egypt, and an Igiderid pretender, Amanar, returned at the head of a column of bandits, executing Farrokh Kakavand and restoring his family’s control over the region.

Amanar has become a near-messianic folk hero in recent times. While it is impossible to prove if he is actually a relation of the original Igiderids, he has certainly been welcomed as one. After the failure of the Makurian invasion, he has begun amassing soldiers, including many Votivists from Europe and Dalai from among the Hawwaya, as part of his ambition to reconquer Egypt for Christianity.

Whether or not he will be able to do so remains to be seen.

The Votives of the 11th Century

Protohypatos Niketas found himself in a deceptively strong position. As the Khardi fell into internal squabbling, a cousin of Seneqerim Artsruni, the Armenian Satrap, had been left in command of Ikonion. Seneqerim’s cousin, Amasi Mardir, who actually proved to be a capable tactician – but one who could not command the loyalty of the Ifthal or indeed any of the Khardi aristocracy, owing to his low birth. Mitradarma had blundered by thinking that the Khardi leadership would support Amasi after his death, and Serfarrokh, now the Padishah, blundered in not removing him from command and replacing him with a better-liked captain.

Niketas was able to reach out to the western world for support and arms. In particular, this meant soliciting the assistance of men such as the famed Italian mercenary general Stefano Cosca[1], captain of the Red Hand Company, and Sven Twosnakes, an Anglo-Dansk captain with a company of axe-wielding mercenaries. Volunteers streamed in from Europe as well, sewing crosses onto their clothes and painting their shields with the Chi Rho. Altogether, he was able to assemble quite the impressive army – perhaps fifty thousand men at its peak.

It should be no surprise that the Protohypatos won victory after victory. Ikonion was retaken in a whirlwind campaign. The Khardi were caught flat-footed, and Shah Artaxser II, young and isolated in his capital, surrounded by flatterers and schemers, was not the man to rescue their Empire after the disasters which followed. His response was tepid and mostly involved sending weak generals piecemeal for the Asian armies to annihilate.

Niketas, meanwhile, went from strength to strength. In 1040 he personally oversaw the annexation of Alania, and shortly thereafter after a triumphal march through Nikaia he was proclaimed Basileus by his soldiers in what was undoubtedly a premeditated event designed to have the appearance of spontaneous acclamation. The various Hypatoi at first refused to acknowledge Niketas as a King, and Niketas himself refused the title out of false humility and a desire to maintain his political position. However, after another successful campaign, striking deep into Syria, briefly capturing Emesa, and threatening Khardi control over Palestine, the Hypatoi could not resist. They placed a crown on his head and once that was done, Asia would never be the same.

In deference to the Franks, who were at least notional allies of his Votive War, Niketas refused to take the title “Emperor of the Romans” calling himself “Emperor in Asia” instead. However the symbolism was clear enough. Once again there was an Emperor in the East. Asia, however disunited it might be beneath the surface, was once again a force to be reckoned with. In 1042, the Iranians made peace with Asia, paying a single indemnity and acknowledging borders which allowed them to retain control of Kappadocia, Cilicia, and Armenia. Many of the Votive rank-and-file were shocked by the treaty. Had they not once come so perilously close to recapturing Jerusalem itself? Had they not beaten the heathen at every turn?

They had, but they were also broke. Extorting money from the Iranians was actually the only way Niketas could pay the massive debts Nikaia and he himself had accumulated waging the war. Even as Emperor, his state suffered from deep divisions. After the first few years, Samos, no longer under direct threat, had begun minimizing its tribute, claiming poor harvests and disrupted trade. Others had followed suit, and despite his political dominance he was forced to swallow his tongue and accept a sort of defeat.

A second major campaign which is often associated with the Votive Wars was the immense but ultimately pointless battle of the Cataract, wherein the Makurian army was destroyed in a failed invasion of Egypt during the reign of the Khardi Shah Artaxser IV.

The increasing weakeness and regionalism of the Khardi Empire hinted at dissolution, but at the same time, the Empire proved shockingly resilient. Even as they gained further power, the prominent generals and satraps of the western and eastern frontiers alike resisted outside incursions. In 1076, a Turkic army led by the Imur clan was defeated. In 1083, the Afghan rebellion ended in a mediated peace that kept Baktria as part of the Empire.

The Iranshah would not be so easily destroyed, whatever the ambitions of their lean and hungry neighbors. Ultimately their collapse would be internal – over the course of the twelfth century an increasingly isolated and feeble succession of Padishahs began handing out monarchial titles like candy. Their final destruction would be a very prolonged process, but even in this early period events like the Imur war hinted at fundamental weaknesses and a porous eastern border which was not rectified by isolated garrison-towns.

[1] Stefano Cosca is perhaps most famous as the father of Niccolo Cosca, writer of adolescent accounts of life as a caravan guard in North Africa and particularly well-knownfor his role as an adventurer in the New World. However, for a brief period in his early thirties he commanded a mercenary company in the Asiatic Votives, experience that would prove vital to his later career and would ensure that his prodigal son had a wide range of contacts across the Mediterranean, and sufficient finances to go adventuring.

Last edited:
Really appreciate the overall run-down of the world. Proper noun place names in this TL can be a bit hard for me to keep straight at times (especially in Africa and India) so this helps.

Is Asiana now considered an antiquated name for the country/region? Was it replaced by "Asia" at some point? Don't get me wrong, I love the resurgence of Asia/Asiana. I'm just curious about the name change.

Nice update. How do the Asia Minor cities relate to this new emperor? They're still pretty much running their internal affairs yes?