The HEART Development and Core Thread

HEART creation process details
  • Hello everyone, second day of the HEART project today and I wanted to share the process that makes HEART possible.

As I told before this map is made possible by NASA's 2004 BM projection, using G-Projector, another tool provided by NASA you can easily convert any equirecangular projection into Robinson and shift its meridian 11 degrees eastwards, this is what I have done to the BM, G-projector allows you to export a grid and borders and rivers on top of this adding a good framework for everything except subdivisions and minor rivers.

The result is this template which really means 90% of this project is just drawing the map now:
    kS6zeYLybryv.png

I am hoping this can be a collab project similar to the BAMs and honestly it would be an inhumane task for me to draw all of it, so I am adding my source files (the converted projections) here as a link for other people to help out iof they want :D

DOWNLOAD HEART .PDN

HEART styling guide
  • I am going to make a little map key since alot of ppl seem interested in helping and have been asking about the exact "style" to draw HEART patches in

Seasonal/dry lakes:
    outlines are used to show lakes that only exist at times of the year, salt plains or lakes that no longer exist
    1703338007867.png
    1703338050927.png

Red borders:
    Red borders are used to denominate frontlines in interstate conflicts and seccesionist wars to show the border is the facto and at least one of the sides of that border does not recognize it, in case of these the claimed territories can also be shown using a 1 pixel wide line
    1703338124651.png
    1703338211732.png

Civil wars:
    Civil wars do not use red lines
    1703338466372.png

Reefs:
    Reefs can be shown using a dark blue purple, Reef colour is used specifically for coral reefs
    1703338290619.png

Glaciers:
    Glaciers can also be shown using their own colour, I keep them in a separate layer though and turn them off for most patches because most ppl probably would rather see the borders
    1703338745386.png

Rivers and canals:
    Rivers are shown if they are one pixel wide paths on the map, some broder rivers such as the amazon can be shown using the normal black water v land border, canals have their own colours
    1703338353472.png

I will edit this post with further clarifications if people have any questions :)

Last edited: