The Faraway Kingdom

If people think that fits better, I can change it. Always open to suggestions. :)

It's really up to you. Honestly this story is pretty great :D I mean I understand why the name is Columbia but I'd go with Carolina because like the colony, it literally bears his name. Even with his humbled state the mans ego is still larger than himself so I think he'd go for it XD

It's really up to you. Honestly this story is pretty great :D I mean I understand why the name is Columbia but I'd go with Carolina because like the colony, it literally bears his name. Even with his humbled state the mans ego is still larger than himself so I think he'd go for it XD

Sure, I'll have to confer with the other writer to make the decision. And I'm really glad people like it so far, it's my first TL in this format!

Thanks for the radish change!
Since it's getting to be around 1649 [the OTL year of someone's execution], I'm wondering what Charles is going to do re New England's and New Holland's alliance. It seems the only buffer between these two enemies [which each has a larger territory than Columbia] is New Sweden. So, will Charles somehow get New Sweden to be an ally? Could he somehow correspond with Queen Christina and persuade her that it would be in New Sweden's best interests [and ultimately her own] if the their two domains could ally themselves against these decidedly more Calvinistic adversaries? Could his wife Henrietta Maria of France appeal to Christina's more Catholic sympathies? Also what's become of Henrietta Maria, the Prince of Wales and the rest of their family during all this? This should be quite an interesting set up not just for Charles but the rest of Europe even if a good part of the action takes place in the New World.

Thanks for the radish change!
Since it's getting to be around 1649 [the OTL year of someone's execution], I'm wondering what Charles is going to do re New England's and New Holland's alliance. It seems the only buffer between these two enemies [which each has a larger territory than Columbia] is New Sweden. So, will Charles somehow get New Sweden to be an ally? Could he somehow correspond with Queen Christina and persuade her that it would be in New Sweden's best interests [and ultimately her own] if the their two domains could ally themselves against these decidedly more Calvinistic adversaries? Could his wife Henrietta Maria of France appeal to Christina's more Catholic sympathies? Also what's become of Henrietta Maria, the Prince of Wales and the rest of their family during all this? This should be quite an interesting set up not just for Charles but the rest of Europe even if a good part of the action takes place in the New World.

That's a very good idea! I'll talk a bit about what happens with that in Chapter 5.

I hate to say this, but the entire history of the war shows him as the kind of person who would be a martyr rather than compromise. I agree that realpolitik makes it necessary, I just don't think he'd realize it, or even care.

To be fair, he wasn't opposed to parliaments per say, just any with potential to deny him his absolute authority.

Loving this timeline thus far. All you need is a surviving Cromwellian England and a tradition of enlightened absolutist monarchism in the Americas and you will have one of my dream timelines :p

Chapter Four - Continental Matters
Chapter Four - Continental Matters
1646 to 1649

With the final defeat of the remnant Royalist forces in England in late 1646, all strata of society, be they soldier, peasant, merchant, priest, could ready themselves to fix their torn and battered nation . When Cromwell returned home to London as a hero of the English Civil War, he was a prime choice to be promoted as the new head of state.Cromwell was offered the position of Lord Protector of the nation, but he declined, simply stating that the common people weren’t ready for a single person to hold that again, and chose to remain as part of the Parliament. The Parliament had a large task ahead of them, rebuilding and recovering the war torn countryside of England, and rebuilding relations with their European neighbors. The Parliament decided on renaming the nation to the “Commonwealth of England”, to distance itself from the recent toxin that was Charles’ former kingdom.

Of all the nations the Commonwealth could chose to create relations with, the Commonwealth decided to improve relations with the Dutch Republic first. Which had recently had signed the Peace of Munster on January 30, 1647. A large majority of the Parliament saw it key to secure greater relations with the Dutch Republic, before Frederick Henry died and his son William took power, as many believed that his wife Mary would possibly sour any relations that the Dutch Republic could have with the newly formed Commonwealth. Though luckily the Commonwealth and Frederick Henry were able to work out an alliance and good standing relations between the two nations, after a health scare in early March of that year. Afterwards, Henry was suggested to take a leave of absence and relax to hopefully improve his health, as his top doctors had advised him to do after the war with Spain and such stressful peace talks. Luckily, the relaxation did him good, as he healthily ruled until his peaceful passing in 1653. By that point the Commonwealth and William II had come to an understanding as to maintain their relationship. As William II had promised to not taint England as his wife’s father had done.

The Peace of Westphalia was a great victory not just for the Protestants, but also various sovereign kingdoms across Europe. The Swedes made great gains after the peace signings, claiming the former Danish lands in Northern Germany and knocking the Danish off their thrones as the proclaimed “strongest military of Northern Europe” and quickly saw fit to claim that title after their poor choice of joining the Habsburgs and Catholics. The Habsburgs supremacy was curtailed by their loss in the Thirty Years War; having to recognize the independence of the Dutch Republic and being passed over by the French and Bourbon Dynasty as the new supreme power in Europe struck at their pride greatly. They even opted to end their war with the French sooner to further avoid any more humiliation by their hands, paying them reparations and making small territorial exchanges with them. The Holy Roman Empire and Catholic Church’s power continued to decline after the peace signings, as many rulers in the Holy Roman Empire were allowed to choose their kingdoms religion and protestants and catholics were now seen as equals. An estimated 25-40% of the German State’s population did not survive the war, and as such would not see this “victory” as it was called, as they had lost their lives in the raids and battles of the Thirty Years’ War.

Map of Europe, following the signing of the Peace of Westphalia, 1647
0uebAr1.png

Last edited:
A personal curiousity, why the Italian states are still into the HRE? Post Westphalia was definitely recognized their independence... Also, including Venice???

But, why think Charles won't be tarred and feathered and shot by rebel scum like us, even the rebel aristocratic Soutn? Like happened in the UK. Say, when he treats the local aristocracy as colonial scum? And orders all the effort on his manor so big that'd take over 100 years?

Now, a short story about tarred and feathered and shot could be perfect. And would be plausible.

You aren't thinking we'd like and keep such worst leftover royals that Britain rebelled twice against?

And real Chuckie hated Parliament, and the real Puritans had rebelled against him, and aren't going back.

Royals aren't all a QE. Some are so bad they're rebelled at, like him or George 3rd. Others are Nazis like Eddie VII. Others are not up to the job, like Aethelred whom lost.

Last edited:
But, why think Charles won't be tarred and feathered and shot by rebel scum like us, even the rebel aristocratic Soutn? Like happened in the UK. Say, when he treats even the local aristocracy as colonial scum? And orders all the effort on his manor so big that'd take over 100 years?

Now, a short story about tarred and feathered and shot could be perfect. And would be plausible.

You aren't thinking we'd like and keep such worst leftover royals that Britain rebelled twice against?

And real Chuckie hated Parliament, and the real Puritans had rebelled against him, and aren't going back.

Royals aren't all a QE. Some are so bad they're rebelled at, like him or George 3rd. Others are Nazis like Eddie VII. Others are not up to the job, like Aethelred whom lost.

What are you talking about? I'm sure the authors will address the issue of Charles' lovely personality.

It seems like you've made a habit of bursting in on TL's and declaring them implausible, it's not the nicest thing to do.

Chapter Five - New Sweden Rises
Chapter Five - New Sweden Rises
1649 to 1650

New Sweden was a talking point in many of Charles’ meetings as of 1649. In response to the conjuncture of the colonies of New Netherland and New England, Carolina would attempt to create an alliance with Sweden, and thus her colony of New Sweden. The main reason behind this was to provide a counter to the influx of settlers to the north, as well as to entice more Swedish to move to the region. A meeting was made between the two nations in Stockholm, where Charles sent a diplomat to convince Queen Christina it would be in her best interests. He promised a larger amount of immigration to New Sweden, especially from Carolinian tenants. He also promised a trade agreement, which would be quite easy to accomplish, due thankfully to the large amount of tobacco crops in Carolina. Queen Christina was not entirely interested until Charles offered her the military support of Carolina. If she ever got into war with any major European nations over the state of her North American colony, Charles was required to send in his small militia to help. When news got back to Charles of the demands used to make the deal, he was furious.

His anger seeped through the walls. I could sense how the meeting went the moment he came out of the room. It went well, apparently, but he still didn’t get exactly what he wanted from it. He lets his temper get the best of him, sometimes. - Excerpt from the journal of Charles’ attendant.​

New Sweden’s population in 1649 was around four hundred, which was nothing compared to the near two thousand person population of New Netherland. Nonetheless, the population of Carolina was nearing thirty thousand, with the city of Charleston having over five hundred tenants. Over the next twelve months, Charles would move another six hundred people north, to form Carolinian settlements in the area of New Sweden. Nya Stockholm quickly became a port of trade between New Sweden and Carolina, as well as the newly formed towns of Aikensburg and New Jamestown. Exploration and trade began to boom and expand in the region, with both Dutch and Carolinian settlers going on long expeditions to buy furs and other materials from the Iroquois. Charles’ plan was shaping up to be a successful one, which lead Christina to begin to rope more colonists to move to New Sweden, after seeing the success of his idea. However, this only made the strain between Carolina and the Netherlands even larger. The large English plurality in New Netherland was all against growth from the south, and called upon military help to solve it. The leader of the Dutch declined for the moment, but was very close to forcing his hand to go up against New Sweden.

The settlements of New Sweden as of late 1650.
ZtTW2wk.png

Last edited:
As always, the map is really good. Maybe its because I don't look at the map games, but your maps are great!