The Faraway Kingdom

So far, so good [and I'm intrigued with how Charles and his family get received by the Virginians who seem to have been more loyal to the Royalists than their New England counterparts].

However; one tiny quibble I need to point out. Tomatoes were still quite rare and almost unheard of as food in England at this point of time [and would be for at least another century] . OTOH, the radish was a very well known red vegetable in English cuisine and would have fit Cromwell's mood perfectly as per that diary entry.

Fixed! I'm glad you like the timeline so far! :D

Hopefully this timeline doesn't have a plot that does things for the sake of some silly battleship fleet centuries down the line or the like. More rather, that the world becomes more alien with original characters popping up as time goes on.

Hopefully this timeline doesn't have a plot that does things for the sake of some silly battleship fleet centuries down the line or the like. More rather, that the world becomes more alien with original characters popping up as time goes on.

Oh god, I hope it doesn't either.

It is wrong from my side to hope to see a "New London" soon or later, maybe in the place of a certain site which I will not say but it is rather obvious to guess?

Chapter Three - Afterglow
1646 to 1648

By mid-September, the bounty hunting for Charles had mostly stopped, which allowed him to expand his reach much wider than before. On October 1st of 1646, he moved out of his small house in Jamestown, heading towards the small city of Charleston. He ordered the construction of the Manor of Stuart, a large house which would act as his place of governance until his death. The newly formed city of Charleston was quite an undertaking for the small population that was present there before Charles’ arrival, the amount of work required overwhelming them. The continuously growing city was located on the small peninsula where the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic met. Supplies were easily delivered to the fledgling city via the Potomac River. Such easy access soon proved to be both a blessing, and a hindrance, as Royalists fleeing the tyranny of Cromwell began to flood the city, overstretching her meager capacity. The swamp lands surrounding the city, were wild, untamed, but the Royalists did not care, even mother nature would bow before the King. Thus began the process of “de-swamping” the region, and Charles was in no shortage of manpower with the constant stream of loyal citizens or colonists wanting to find a better life in the colonies. In addition to this massive undertaking, Charles and his main associates began the construction of a primitive parliament building in Charleston. They figured with a population of roughly 25,000 people in Carolina (both Virginia and Maryland), that 1 seat per every 500 people would be sufficient enough to represent the people. When the small parliamentary building was finally constructed along with the manor that would house the royal family, Charles requested the stitching of a new flag that would fly over the entirety of the nation, from Royalist vessels surfing the waves, to military ranks, the newly created Parliament building, to even the Manor of the King himself. Multiple designs were brought forth to Charles, the King had eyes for only one. A flag similar to England’s, except with a crown in the center representing the king’s new home and green on the cross instead of the red. Charles loved the color green on the flag, and spoke frequent praise about the specific color that was used.

It’s a beautiful color, as it represents how fresh this land is. It also reminds me how this land has so many trees that bless its soil. Something England was sorely lacking, and I’m glad we can find it here. - Excerpt from the meeting of Charles I and his advisors on the final design of his new flag.

The first flag of the English Kingdom of Carolina.
t9hS2Og.png

New England was quite a touchy subject in Carolina, during the 1640's especially. Charles had designs to capture New England, then perpetrate a purge of the Puritans living there. He wanted to either kill them or exile them, back to England and Ireland. The English and the Dutch had very different plans. however. Prince Rupert of the Netherlands was very afraid that Carolina would attack the colonies in New Netherland, and asked for Cromwell’s help to send more settlers. This was very beneficial for both nations; soon afterwards, Willem Kieft (director of New Netherland at the time) extended an alliance and trade agreement to the Massachusetts Bay colony. It was accepted soon afterwards, and began an age of cooperation between England and the colony of New Netherland. While this mostly squashed Charles’ plan, it gave him a new place to dump his “undesirables”. Many of the people who didn’t follow his faith, such as the Lutherans or the Puritans, were sent northwards to the outlandish locations of New Haven or Maine. New England itself was thriving, however. While Carolina constantly plotted against it, it did little to deter the large influx of German and non-Anglican English. New Netherland was doing just as well as the English colonies. Under the guidance of Willem Kieft, and later on Peter Stuyvesant, New Amsterdam grew into a large port city with an abundance of English and Scottish citizens. Kieft was described as a “motivating leading man, but a little off his rocker”. His attempts at deporting the Native Americans were quickly turned around by his successors, and turned New Netherland into a bit of a melting pot of cultures. The population of New Amsterdam itself spiked, from 700 in 1645 to 1050 by 1648. In North America, much like in Europe, the peoples of the colonies began to settle down. An afterglow of a series of events no one would forget in the near future.

A Puritan ship arriving in an uninhabited region of Maine.
up5lgYb.png

Last edited:
Forgive me if I'm wrong but it seems like Charles is settling in a bit too permanently. It seems like he would declare Virginia a kingdom but wouldn't set up shop there so quick because he'd be hoping (in vain) that he could return soon.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it seems like Charles is settling in a bit too permanently. It seems like he would declare Virginia a kingdom but wouldn't set up shop there so quick because he'd be hoping (in vain) that he could return soon.

Oh he is, I'll expand a bit more in the next chapter. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

1646 to 1648

By mid-September, the bounty hunting for Charles had mostly stopped, which allowed him to expand his reach much wider than before. On October 1st of 1646, he moved out of his small house in Jamestown, heading towards the small city of Charleston. He ordered the construction of the Manor of Stuart, a large house which would act as his place of governance until his death. The newly formed city of Charleston was quite an undertaking for the small population that was present there before Charles’ arrival, the amount of work required overwhelming them. The continuously growing city was located on the small peninsula where the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic met. Supplies were easily delivered to the fledgling city via the Potomac River. Such easy access soon proved to be both a blessing, and a hindrance, as Royalists fleeing the tyranny of Cromwell began to flood the city, overstretching her meager capacity. The swamp lands surrounding the city, were wild, untamed, but the Royalists did not care, even mother nature would bow before the King. Thus began the process of “de-swamping” the region, and Charles was in no shortage of manpower with the constant stream of loyal citizens or colonists wanting to find a better life in the colonies. In addition to this massive undertaking, Charles and his main associates began the construction of a primitive parliament building in Charleston. They figured with a population of roughly 25,000 people in Columbia (both Virginia and Maryland), that 1 seat per every 500 people would be sufficient enough to represent the people. When the small parliamentary building was finally constructed along with the manor that would house the royal family, Charles requested the stitching of a new flag that would fly over the entirety of the nation, from Royalist vessels surfing the waves, to military ranks, the newly created Parliament building, to even the Manor of the King himself. Multiple designs were brought forth to Charles, the King had eyes for only one. A flag similar to England’s, except with a crown in the center representing the king’s new home and green on the cross instead of the red. Charles loved the color green on the flag, and spoke frequent praise about the specific color that was used.

It’s a beautiful color, as it represents how fresh this land is. It also reminds me how this land has so many trees that bless its soil. Something England was sorely lacking, and I’m glad we can find it here. - Excerpt from the meeting of Charles I and his advisors on the final design of his new flag.

The first flag of the English Kingdom of Columbia.
t9hS2Og.png

New England was quite a touchy subject in Columbia, during the 1640's especially. Charles had designs to capture New England, then perpetrate a purge of the Puritans living there. He wanted to either kill them or exile them, back to England and Ireland. The English and the Dutch had very different plans. however. Prince Rupert of the Netherlands was very afraid that Columbia would attack the colonies in New Netherland, and asked for Cromwell’s help to send more settlers. This was very beneficial for both nations; soon afterwards, Willem Kieft (director of New Netherland at the time) extended an alliance and trade agreement to the Massachusetts Bay colony. It was accepted soon afterwards, and began an age of cooperation between England and the colony of New Netherland. While this mostly squashed Charles’ plan, it gave him a new place to dump his “undesirables”. Many of the people who didn’t follow his faith, such as the Lutherans or the Puritans, were sent northwards to the outlandish locations of New Haven or Maine. New England itself was thriving, however. While Columbia constantly plotted against it, it did little to deter the large influx of German and non-Anglican English. New Netherland was doing just as well as the English colonies. Under the guidance of Willem Kieft, and later on Peter Stuyvesant, New Amsterdam grew into a large port city with an abundance of English and Scottish citizens. Kieft was described as a “motivating leading man, but a little off his rocker”. His attempts at deporting the Native Americans were quickly turned around by his successors, and turned New Netherland into a bit of a melting pot of cultures. The population of New Amsterdam itself spiked, from 700 in 1645 to 1050 by 1648. In North America, much like in Europe, the peoples of the colonies began to settle down. An afterglow of a series of events no one would forget in the near future.

A Puritan ship arriving in an uninhabited region of Maine.
up5lgYb.png

Why would he even set up a parliament at all, he was absolutist?

Why would he even set up a parliament at all, he was absolutist?

Firstly, please don't quote the entire post. Secondly, he knew that he couldn't take control of a 25,000 person colony all by himself, especially when around only half the population liked him. So he set up a parliament, to help manage the large swath of land and to get more people to like him. It's not that powerful, but you need to give a little to get a little.

Firstly, please don't quote the entire post. Secondly, he knew that he couldn't take control of a 25,000 person colony all by himself, especially when around only half the population liked him. So he set up a parliament, to help manage the large swath of land and to get more people to like him. It's not that powerful, but you need to give a little to get a little.

I hate to say this, but the entire history of the war shows him as the kind of person who would be a martyr rather than compromise. I agree that realpolitik makes it necessary, I just don't think he'd realize it, or even care.

Besides, I think Charles learned the lesson... how being absolutist brought him to lose the throne on the other side of the Atlantic.

I am however wondering why he didn't try yet to seek protection from the Spanish colonial assets...

And I am thinking, why an English exiled ruler would call his new kingdom "Columbia"?