Wellington Makes Peace (2)
The reason I've been posting like crazy this last week is that I've been trying to get this part of the TL done before I go on vacation, rather than leave everybody hanging for a couple of weeks. So I'll make this short.

Wellington's (for want of a better word) treaty passes the Senate. Ten of the votes come from New England states. (The odd number of votes represents the fact that Sen. William Branch Giles of Virginia retired a couple of months ago.)

Nobody's very happy about this, but Wellington was spoken of in America with fear even before he curbstomped a trail from Maine to Boston. Also, the Senate hasn't had a chance to read his mail and doesn't realize how badly the Crown wants him back on the important side of the pond.

As for Madison… he isn't too happy, either. But as he puts it, "We have not been asked to pay indemnity, nor has any hindrance been placed on our westward expansion. I do not know whether we can win this war, but I am certain we can win the peace." He grits his teeth and signs it.

There will, of course, be a gradually building feeling of rage and revanchism throughout the land. I'll get to that part eventually.

But when I come back from vacation, the scene will shift to Europe for a little while, so we can see what our friend Nappy is up to.

Last edited:
interesting really the fact britain now has land to the North and South of the USA and you know if Britain now has southern Louisiana I wonder how this will affect places like Texas as this may mean their is chance Britain could take it

Free Lancer

Banned
I haven't heard this. Where did you get that from? I rather doubt that the Czar would be interested in a far away low level conflict, other than possibly glad it was distracting a major rival. [At least until the ogre got out again;)].

Steve

I read it in the Encyclopedia of the war of 1812,

The reason why Russia pressured the England to end the war was because she relied both on trade with the United States and on British aid in the Napoleonic wars, the war of 1812 kept American trade from Russian consumers and kept the British focused on problems in North America

Well this is largely creating a postage size city state at the mouth of the Mississippi , you realize that...

Britain is going to contend that British Florida ends right where Spain always considered it did, at the Mississippi but excluding the isle of Orleans. The same as it did during the 1763-1781 British period. That leaves Louisianans with New Orleans and the isle of Orleans and the immediate left bank as as far as the 31st parallel in the north and ending at the no mans land to the West between the Red and Sabine Rivers, which at this point is still contested territory b/n Spain and the US and not settled definitively until Adams-Onis.

Spain is the bigger fish where Britain is concerned they could easily retain the entirety of the disputed terr as part of Spanish Texas and almost certainly their more realistic claim at the Arroyo Hondo at least, from the Gulf to the 32 parallel.

Without the Gulf coast the US is unlikely to continue to contest the extremely small bit of this ter. to the north of the 31st...but they will push the extremities of the Mississippi tributaries as their Western Frontier.

Spain could probably then extract some very substantial concessions on that border if they were to give their claims on the disputed terr entirely tothe US.

No matter how I look at it..this bodes ill for any longevity of the Louisiana republic. It will fold into British Florida, rejoin the US eventually once the economic determinants are back in place and cooler heads are back in charge, or rejoin Spain as a province administered from Havana.

Not to mention that all those plantation owner s with their primary abode in New Orleans because of its gentility and creature comforts are likely to now be disposessed of their actual plantations ( and a source of income to maintain that abode) up the Red River as far as and beyond Natchitoches and as equally far up the lower Mississippi. Most of these owners will be French or Spanish colonial landowners.

Personally I have absolutely no Idea why the British purchased Florida from Spain unless you have plans for they attempting to project some kind of influence on the Southern States at some point or in the immediate term, the Civilized Tribes.

Britain afterall is going to be much harder to dislodge than Spain, so its influence will be palapable once the US government turns its attentions on the lands of these tribes for settlers.

just some random thoughts you may wish to digest. This could turn into an ugly future engagement under the right circumstances and if things remain frosty in the forseeable future. Heating up around the late 1820s or 30s right at about the time the NE border will become an issue as well as both sides start exploiting the Upper St.John river basin.

While the logic of the Western border convention still remains, the dynamic is going to be decidedly frosty to say the least though. It could go decidedly worse with no agreement, or settled right to the Pacific in an effort to mend fences as it were.

AuroraBorealis

Wellington actually set the western border of Florida which gives the US Gulf access and I presume that they are also agreeing US use of the Mississippi.

Otherwise I would agree. The pocket New Orleans is not very viable and likely to be snapped up by the US at a later stage. The best bet would be by consent at a point when US hostility has faded enough to avoid atrocities. I can't see such a small state surviving in the face of the aggressive expansionist US of this period. Especially given it's potential economic importance. Not without a continued strong British presence. Although on the plus side it does mean that Britain will continue to have access to the Mississippi for trade purposes as the US will not be able to block them without danger of being cut off themselves.

I am presuming that Britain has gained Florida from Spain in the peace treaty, although I can't remember any mention of when or why. While it wouldn't be an easy conquest, even without a British garrison, it's going to be a liability, both militarily and politically because the US will resent Britain, both for defeating them and for holding lands they want to own. On the other hand, unless Napoleon manages to hold out much longer, which is extremely unlikely, Britain is fairly secure in Europe for probably a couple of generations at least and for at least that long would heavily outclass the US so they would be really stupid to try anything aggressive.

I mentioned the option on Tejas myself. Can see the Catholic French from Louisiana being a lot more palatable settlers than Protestant Americans for the Mexicans in Tejas and they have no room for expansion at home. [What might be more logical would be a latter detail that preserves a larger and more viable Louisiana, say OTL Louisiana and Arkansas in return for the US getting Florida].

Steve

Well this is largely creating a postage size city state at the mouth of the Mississippi , you realize that...

Britain is going to contend that British Florida ends right where Spain always considered it did, at the Mississippi but excluding the isle of Orleans. The same as it did during the 1763-1781 British period. That leaves Louisianans with New Orleans and the isle of Orleans and the immediate left bank as as far as the 31st parallel in the north and ending at the no mans land to the West between the Red and Sabine Rivers, which at this point is still contested territory b/n Spain and the US and not settled definitively until Adams-Onis.

Spain is the bigger fish where Britain is concerned they could easily retain the entirety of the disputed terr as part of Spanish Texas and almost certainly their more realistic claim at the Arroyo Hondo at least, from the Gulf to the 32 parallel.

Without the Gulf coast the US is unlikely to continue to contest the extremely small bit of this ter. to the north of the 31st...but they will push the extremities of the Mississippi tributaries as their Western Frontier.

Spain could probably then extract some very substantial concessions on that border if they were to give their claims on the disputed terr entirely tothe US.

No matter how I look at it..this bodes ill for any longevity of the Louisiana republic. It will fold into British Florida, rejoin the US eventually once the economic determinants are back in place and cooler heads are back in charge, or rejoin Spain as a province administered from Havana.

Not to mention that all those plantation owner s with their primary abode in New Orleans because of its gentility and creature comforts are likely to now be disposessed of their actual plantations ( and a source of income to maintain that abode) up the Red River as far as and beyond Natchitoches and as equally far up the lower Mississippi. Most of these owners will be French or Spanish colonial landowners.

Personally I have absolutely no Idea why the British purchased Florida from Spain unless you have plans for they attempting to project some kind of influence on the Southern States at some point or in the immediate term, the Civilized Tribes.

Britain afterall is going to be much harder to dislodge than Spain, so its influence will be palapable once the US government turns its attentions on the lands of these tribes for settlers.

just some random thoughts you may wish to digest. This could turn into an ugly future engagement under the right circumstances and if things remain frosty in the forseeable future. Heating up around the late 1820s or 30s right at about the time the NE border will become an issue as well as both sides start exploiting the Upper St.John river basin.

While the logic of the Western border convention still remains, the dynamic is going to be decidedly frosty to say the least though. It could go decidedly worse with no agreement, or settled right to the Pacific in an effort to mend fences as it were.

your suggesting the Western boundary is the Chattahoochie ( I figured that had to be a typo, no British politician would endorse such a course at this point......Its an absolutely stupid diplomatic blunder...Wellesley has no political career now at all after this is done.

The British are buying Florida from Spain... He as much as said so before he left the continent.

The Spanish ruled the territory between the Chattahoochie and the Mississippi as part of Florida, just as the British did before them... a fact Wellesley is well aware of. The region is inhabited by a majority of French and Spanish descended settlers and Anglophones of American descent both pre and post revolution.

So he gives away terr that Britain has just bought and paid for when he knows he has the upper hand......despite the immediacy of having to return to Europe, thats complete and utter lunacy, it has probably the lowest probablility of occurance yet with this scenario.

Sorry LP you need to go back to the drawing board because your degenerating this piece to utter stupidity now. A better course in this

Would I agree be the entirety of Orleans province or at least that portion below 32 degrees. At least then a good portion of the landowers would keep their property in the Free state then. but the western no mans land will probably fall to Spain now. Of course there is always the thought that the young republic is not supposed to survive that long, just give them a cooling off period. So a shift in the French and spanish planters from the Mississippi and the Red to East Texas is probably in the cards. In which case then the 31st makes perfect sense. But from a British perspective it makes even more sense that Florida is construed in the Spanish sense. If anything there can be no arguement that it extends at the very least to the Perdido.... so Wellesley knows that he has just given away British territory that has been bought and paid for, not contested terr. Sorry you cannot convince me that he would suggest such lunacy no matter how immediately he wants to get back at Boney. He is there to serve the British interest. He didnt travel across the Atlantic, fight these battle s to give a way the store you know. At this point hes unlikely to get back in time in any course to make a difference. The Russians and Austrians are going to dictate that peace. Timing is just not in the Brits favour at this point.

Sorry but the peace proposed is sloppy work and not thought out...but I suppose thats what is intended.

Yes it would be fractious of course in the immediate term..This is British honour were talking about now... and as Wellesley has clearly stated... His men are far better at their job than the Americans...no lack of confidence in a win there.

Despite his own desire to return to Europe...he will get the best deal for Britain and right now they do have the upper hand.

Florida is of marginal value to Britain if it does not include West Florida. It is the most developed of the entire place.

But feel free to write as you like...I will have to suspend disbelief to incredulous levels I guess.

Last edited:
Velaine (1)
By the beginning of summer virtually all Europe, or so it seemed, had pledged to march on Paris and depose the Corsican tyrant again — but, as yet, far more soldiers had been pledged than had arrived. Despite this, and despite the lack of any one overall commander, the Coalition armies had developed — or perhaps stumbled into — a workable strategy for the beginning of the 1815 campaign.

In the north, the Dutch princes had chosen to stand on the defensive, with their army concentrated behind its own border. The port of Antwerp, whose defense was of paramount importance to Great Britain, was guarded by the King’s German Legion and several Belgian divisions.

The unwillingness of the northern forces to go on the attack against l’Armée du Nord sprung from two sources. The first was that, from a tactical standpoint, they had no general that was even close to the match of Napoleon himself. The second was that the true sword arm of the Coalition was in the east. There, the Prussian army was already on the march. Meanwhile, Austria and Russia had summoned even larger armies of hundreds of thousands of men. Even if France were entirely united behind its emperor (which it was not) Napoleon would be as hopelessly outnumbered as he was at Leipzig.

There remained the task of securing a place (or more than one) where these armies could cross the Rhine unhindered by French gunfire. It was for this reason that Field Marshal von Blücher commanded General von Bülow to take the Prussian IV Corps east until they reached the river, and then south along the west bank until they had a chance to rendezvous with a larger force.

The main body of the Prussian army, however, went with Blücher in the direction of Charleroi. “Marshal Forward” planned to delay Napoleon long enough for the armies of Wrede, Württemberg and Barclay de Tolly to enter France — or better still, to capture or kill Napoleon and bring an end to the war himself.

P. G. Sherman, 1815 And All That

Lycaon pictus

Quick question. Is the Prussian IV core actually west of the Rhine? If so its going to be very vulnerable to being isolated and destroyed until it can link up with the allies.

Other than that sounds a not unreasonable strategy if Blutcher's prepared to accept the loss of the bulk of his force. Going to be very risky the Prussian army pushing into France without any allies support.:eek: May well win time and cause disruption for the Napoleonic forces but likely to see his own force roundly smashed.

The defence at Antwerp by the Anglo-Dutch sounds reasonable given the lack of Wellington and a chunk of his veterans. Napoleon can't really afford the time to besiege it and as long as they guard the approaches to the port they can evacuate by sea if need be.

Steve

By the beginning of summer virtually all Europe, or so it seemed, had pledged to march on Paris and depose the Corsican tyrant again — but, as yet, far more soldiers had been pledged than had arrived. Despite this, and despite the lack of any one overall commander, the Coalition armies had developed — or perhaps stumbled into — a workable strategy for the beginning of the 1815 campaign.

In the north, the Dutch princes had chosen to stand on the defensive, with their army concentrated behind its own border. The port of Antwerp, whose defense was of paramount importance to Great Britain, was guarded by the King’s German Legion and several Belgian divisions.

The unwillingness of the northern forces to go on the attack against l’Armée du Nord sprung from two sources. The first was that, from a tactical standpoint, they had no general that was even close to the match of Napoleon himself. The second was that the true sword arm of the Coalition was in the east. There, the Prussian army was already on the march. Meanwhile, Austria and Russia had summoned even larger armies of hundreds of thousands of men. Even if France were entirely united behind its emperor (which it was not) Napoleon would be as hopelessly outnumbered as he was at Leipzig.

There remained the task of securing a place (or more than one) where these armies could cross the Rhine unhindered by French gunfire. It was for this reason that Field Marshal von Blücher commanded General von Bülow to take the Prussian IV Corps east until they reached the river, and then south along the west bank until they had a chance to rendezvous with a larger force.

The main body of the Prussian army, however, went with Blücher in the direction of Charleroi. “Marshal Forward” planned to delay Napoleon long enough for the armies of Wrede, Württemberg and Barclay de Tolly to enter France — or better still, to capture or kill Napoleon and bring an end to the war himself.

Is the Prussian IV core actually west of the Rhine? If so its going to be very vulnerable to being isolated and destroyed until it can link up with the allies.

Yes, and yes. I based this strategy on Blücher's reputation for being more than usually brave and aggressive, and not at all inclined to wait for anybody else (ally or enemy) to make the first move.

Velaine (2)
“France was one nation — only one. She was smaller than Russia in size and population, poorer than Britain, less militaristic than Prussia. Yet for many years she had the strength to fight all these nations in concert, and dealt out defeats as often as she suffered them.
“Our wise men find it easier to speak of this as a miracle and a wonder, brought about by the genius of the Emperor, than to learn from it; for in their hearts they know the lesson, and they fear its implications. They do not wish to discover the power of a nation cleansed of parasites, where skill and diligence are rewarded, wealth circulates instead of accumulating, and aristocrats must either provide service commensurate to their status, or else perish.
“They do not wish to draw the conclusion that the sword of Napoleon was forged from the guillotine of Robespierre.”
Guillame Georges Elmar, I Call The World To Arms

June 17, 1815
5:30 a.m.
About a mile southeast of Sombreffe, Belgium
Dawn was about fifteen minutes away. The sky was clear, and the terrain was level cropland and pasture with only occasional patches of trees — a perfect open battlefield. Field Marshal Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher and his lieutenant-generals took a moment to look south, where the light was already showing signs of the presence of l’Armée du Nord, before they stepped inside the tent.

“What do we know of their order of battle?” Blücher asked his chief of staff.

“Ney commands on the right, Grouchy on the left,” said Gneisenau. “Our scouts place Bonaparte himself in the center, here, at the village of Velaine-sur-Sambre — a tiny little place, just a few farmhouses — surrounded by his Imperial Guard and most of the French artillery. Grouchy’s heavy cavalry is between Velaine and our own army.

“At present, we have this army slightly outnumbered. But two of their corps are expected to arrive today, and when they do they will outnumber us by some four thousand men.”

“I intend to defeat the tyrant before that happens,” said Blücher. “Undoubtedly he plans to make the first move, but I will beat him to the punch and force him on the defensive. Zieten, Pirch, Thielmann, how quickly can your men deploy?”

“At once,” said Zieten.

“At once,” said Pirch.

“Within the hour,” said Thielmann, showing only a little embarrassment.

“Very well. Zieten, you will take I Corps and lead the attack on the left. Your principal aim will be to defeat Grouchy’s cavalry. This done, you will aim your next attack here” — he pointed to a spot on the map about half a mile southwest of Velaine — “forcing a wedge between the Imperial Guard and the French infantry on the left.

“Once we have a clear line of attack, Pirch, you and II Corps will strike at Velaine, bringing your attack in from the right so as not to become entangled with II Corps. You will have our artillery under your command.

“Thielmann…” The field marshal paused. Lieutenant-General Johann von Thielmann was an able officer, but his corps was a mess of half-trained, grumbling, unreliable Saxons and Rhinelanders, and he himself had fought bravely for the French during the bad years. Blücher, who hated Bonaparte with a holy passion and had never served the tyrant in any capacity — indeed, had never stopped looking for ways to oppose him — couldn’t quite bring himself to trust the man.

“Thielmann, you and III Corps will act as a reserve. Position yourselves on the right, and be prepared to engage the enemy if Ney tries to stick a knife in our backs.

“Our aim today is to cut off the tyrant from the bulk of his army, and to hammer him and his loyalists until they break. God willing, by the end of the day Bonaparte himself will be dead or in our hands, and the glory of Prussian arms will be restored.”

“It will be a bloody affair, sir,” said Gneisenau.

“So be it,” said Blücher. “I will lead the first charge on Velaine. And the second. And as many others as are needed. This whole war has been a bloody affair. Today we have a chance to put an end to it at last.”
About 9 a.m.
Velaine

It was like being inside a thunderstorm. The gunsmoke was so heavy that beyond forty feet or so, nothing could be seen but muzzle-flashes of various sizes and the flickering light of a burning barn in the gray-white haze. All around him was an inconceivable din of cannon-fire, volleys and the screams of wounded men and horses.

Blücher stood and breathed in the smoke. Both armies were shooting blind in the general direction of the enemy. A musket-ball came within an inch of his right temple. Another one clipped his left epaulet. He had just had his fourth horse of the morning shot out from under him. He lived for moments like this.

And he was pleased with how the day had gone thus far. At the first hint of Zieten’s charge, Grouchy’s cavalry had fled east. His corps was now enmeshed with the French infantry somewhere on the left. Here, Pirch had just brought a halt to an infantry attack by Vandamme out of Wanfercée-Baulet.

And somewhere in the blind swirling melee of the center was the outlaw himself. Blücher could hardly wait to lead another cavalry charge into that chaos and seek him out. But for that, he would need another horse. He turned and headed back to the field headquarters, ignoring the three-pound cannonball that shot between his ankles, bounced on the ground and continued on its way.

While at the headquarters, he got a report from his chief of staff. “So far, sir, the fighting on the front lines is inconclusive,” said Gneisenau. “But I’m concerned about what’s happening on our flanks.

“Grouchy’s cavalry has rallied along the Mazy. It hasn’t engaged us directly, but it’s working its way north around our left flank.

“But the real action is on the right. Ney has been aggressively trying to outflank us. His cavalry is already south of Ligny and moving fast.”

“Order Thielmann to put a stop to that.”

“I did, sir. He reports that Ney is fighting like a madman, and III Corps is having trouble reacting quickly enough.”

Blücher laughed. “What Ney is fighting like is a man who has betrayed his true king and knows his only hope is for Bonaparte to win. So long as Thielmann keeps him busy, we are still on course to victory.”

“Sir,” said Gneisenau, “if he fails, we will be in danger of being surrounded.” The chief of staff gestured at the map. At the moment, the French line was shaped like the letter W — or, perhaps, like a lower-case Greek omega (ω) with the left side longer than the right. Bonaparte and his artillery were in the center, and the two sides of the formation, from what Gneisenau had said, were extending themselves around and would ultimately meet behind the lines. The French aim, clearly, was to surround the Prussian army while at the same time preventing any one corps of it from coming to the aid of the others.

“I see,” said Blücher. “And if I planned to run away, this would worry me. But I do not. I plan to win the day and make him do the running. Now, where’s that horse?”
1 p.m.
Just north of Velaine

In the pit of his stomach, Blücher could feel things starting to go wrong. It was like the cold sensation he got some nights when he could no longer deny that the dice had turned against him and his lucky streak was over.

He had just led what he had intended to be another charge on the French center. The horses had barely brought themselves up to a canter when they had to start dodging Prussian infantrymen running the other way. Some of his officers turned as they ran past, to shout “Reinforcements!” and “Drouet d’Erlon!”

So the French I Corps was here. It had taken them long enough.

He looked around him. He was in the middle of the Prussian artillery positions. Even the horse artillery couldn’t be quickly withdrawn — most of the horses were dead.

“RALLY!” he shouted. “Hold! Hold! For God and Prussia, hold! They will not have the guns!” Then the French came out of the gunsmoke, bayonets at the ready.

The next few minutes were full of nothing but fighting — struggling, instant by instant, to stay alive, to keep their bayonets away from his horse’s legs and get clear slices at their heads and necks with his saber. This, too, Blücher lived for.

And damned if it wasn’t working. The French weren’t going back, but they weren’t going any further forward, either.

Then, to his astonishment, Blücher turned and saw none other than August von Gneisenau charging up on a horse,

“The field headquarters has fallen, sir!” shouted his chief of staff. “I only just escaped!”

“What of III Corps!”

“It just… collapsed! Just like that! Sir, we are completely surrounded!”

“Damn you, Thielmann!” Blücher gritted his teeth. There was no escaping it — this battle was lost.

“If we can’t find a way out,” he said at last, “we shall have to make one.” He turned and pointed at a stretch of woods. “There, in the Bois de Floreffe. If I am not mistaken, that is where their line is. Order every man there who can still fight.” Grouchy, who commanded that wing of the French army, had been the most half-hearted of the usurper’s commanders today. How would he respond to this attack?

Blücher was riding southeast towards the Bois when it happened. His horse wasn’t shot out from under him — it disappeared, the barrel of its torso exploding into a cloud of red mist and tiny fragments of flesh.

His right leg below the calf disappeared along with it.

For a moment he just lay on the ground, stunned. When he realized what had happened — he had been hit by a cannonball — he wasted another moment wondering what caliber it was. Then the pain in his right foor (no, in the place where his right foot used to be) woke him up. He took off his belt and tied it around the wound — field tourniquets were a harder thing to get right than most people realized. Then he took a rifle lying on the ground and used it to prop himself up while he stood.

When he stood up, he almost lost consciousness again. His head swam, and the world went dark. It took the better part of ten seconds for him to start seeing again. He felt very tired, and very cold.

Blücher knew what this meant. He had lost too much blood already, and it was still trickling out. He had lived his whole life knowing that he could die at any moment, and it looked like the moment was here. The pain was growing, turning into something terrible, but he only needed to be brave for a little bit longer. Then he would have done all that God or his king could ask of him.

With one foot and the rifle, Blücher made his way toward a menhir, a great squarish block of sandstone the color of gunsmoke. He leaned against it and tried to collect what wits and strength he had. He noted in an almost disinterested way that the Imperial Guard was headed this way in force. If only III Corps had held out, his army would at least have had a better escape route.

“Damn you, Thielmann,” he said again. He didn’t think anyone could hear him, but someone must have.

“That is in the hands of a higher power than yours or mine,” came a voice from somewhere to his right, speaking accented French.

Blücher turned — only to see, riding up on a well-groomed white horse, the one man who at this point could have aroused real anger in him.

“Thielmann is dead,” said Bonaparte matter-of-factly. “That wing of your army held out until he was killed, then gave way.” He dismounted slowly, as if in discomfort. Two of the Guard seized hold of Blücher’s arms, ironically making it easier for him to stay on his feet. Foot.

Blücher took in a deep breath. He would not show weakness in front of this Godless upstart — not even now.

“What are you doing here, peasant?” he said, sneering a little. What was the escapee going to do at this point — kill him?

Bonaparte smiled. “Peasant,” he said. “Usurper, parvenu, thief, jumped-up Corsican clenching his little fists in rage, tin-pot dictator with delusions of godhood… I’ve heard them all. You oligarchs will go to any length to deny my true importance.” He leaned in closer. “Would you like to know just how important I really am?”

Blücher smiled. This was going to be good. There was nothing like the certainty of imminent death to give you perspective on mortal grandeur.

“I am as important as I can make myself. No more, no less. Just like everyone else. I think that’s what frightens you.”

Blücher was trying to think of an answer to this when everything went black.
Twenty minutes after the field marshal’s death, the French VI Corps under Mouton-Lobau arrived and joined the fight in the Bois de Floreffe. Gneisenau, seeing no alternative, ordered what was left of the Prussian army to surrender. Later estimates would show about 10,000 dead or wounded Frenchmen, and about 25,000 dead or wounded Prussians.

That same day, on another continent, Wellington received his copy of a peace treaty between Britain and the United States that conformed to his requirements in every particular.

Lycaon pictus

Trying again as my 1st reply fell foul of a dodgy internet connection!:mad:

Unfortunately Blutcher's defeat was rather too predicable given the problems the combined army had OTL in defeating Boney. He has cost the French a number of troops but also given them a big victory and effectively neutralised Prussia for the moment.

With this set-back and Britain having a sizeable chunk of its army and best leadership out of place, there is the danger that the coalition might consider negotiations. Or that assorted former allies of Napoleon [for instance a lot of Italians, Poles, Danes, Saxons, Bavarians to name a few] might come out of the woodwork. Although if there is a major Polish uprising that is one thing that would probably keep the three powers active against him.

Are you still going with the borders you had Wellington propose in the earlier post? Their somewhat unlikely, especially the fairly tiny pocket let for Louisiana.

Steve

Are you still going with the borders you had Wellington propose in the earlier post? Their somewhat unlikely, especially the fairly tiny pocket let for Louisiana.

In a few years, Spain will sell a slice of Texas to the Republic of Louisiana. (Spain is trying to keep something of its colonial empire and is stuck for cash, the part of Texas in question is infested with pirates that the Royal Navy is better qualified to deal with, and London loans New Orleans the money to buy the land at a reasonable rate.) The northern border, however will remain the same. Remember that the Republic is nominally independent. Its small size and military vulnerability will keep it a de facto part of the British Empire. (This has potential for conflict when the Empire gets around to abolishing slavery within its borders.)

As for Florida (everybody listening?) Wellington's main concern was to get the best deal he could quickly that Madison might accept. Taking the whole Gulf Coast away from the U.S. would have been too much. At the moment, hardly anybody lives in British Florida — a couple of little settlements like St. Augustine, a small population of Seminoles, and right at this point an influx of Creeks trying to get away from the U.S. It isn't quite a blank slate, but an ambitious colony-builder could do something interesting with it.

(As for Europe… oh no, I'm not giving anything away just yet.)

A Louisiana border at the 31st parallel will emcompass almost all the French settlement areas except one: The area along the Red and Cane rivers near Natchitoches. Since I can't imagine but a very few of the 2-3,000 Creoles (white and free black) who lived there would want to remain in a United States who will see them as traitors, you have there a good starting group of people to begin the settling of the Texas coast. There's also another group of French settlers, 6,000 strong, up in Missouri, that the Louisianians and British would do well to encourage to resettle in Louisiana.

In a few years, Spain will sell a slice of Texas to the Republic of Louisiana. (Spain is trying to keep something of its colonial empire and is stuck for cash, the part of Texas in question is infested with pirates that the Royal Navy is better qualified to deal with, and London loans New Orleans the money to buy the land at a reasonable rate.) The northern border, however will remain the same. Remember that the Republic is nominally independent. Its small size and military vulnerability will keep it a de facto part of the British Empire. (This has potential for conflict when the Empire gets around to abolishing slavery within its borders.)

As for Florida (everybody listening?) Wellington's main concern was to get the best deal he could quickly that Madison might accept. Taking the whole Gulf Coast away from the U.S. would have been too much. At the moment, hardly anybody lives in British Florida — a couple of little settlements like St. Augustine, a small population of Seminoles, and right at this point an influx of Creeks trying to get away from the U.S. It isn't quite a blank slate, but an ambitious colony-builder could do something interesting with it.

(As for Europe… oh no, I'm not giving anything away just yet.)

Lycaon pictus

That would help in terms of making a viable Louisiana possible although I would hope that Wellington isn't relying on that. Still think he would have been better trading Florida for more of Louisiana and/or possibly some protection for the northern allies.

The current situation leaves two small British controlled patches in the south plus Canada in the north and hence seems to give the worst of all worlds. Enough to anger and upset the US without being large and suitably placed to be viable.

Steve

Juillet Lorrain (1)
Word of the French victory at Velaine spread outward in an ever-widening circle. Within three days, all Belgium knew about it; within a week, they were mourning it in London; and by the middle of July, the news had spread among the Saxons, Poles and Italians.

Over the course of the rest of the month, the news for the Coalition only got worse. On June 20, the royalist uprising in the Vendée (one of the few signs that any part of France would willingly accept the planned Bourbon restoration) was defeated. On June 22, Marshal Ney’s cavalry caught up to von Bülow’s army and routed it in a surprise attack, mortally wounding von Bülow in the process. What was left of this army (all that was left of Prussian arms in France, apart from the North German Federal Army) surrendered to Napoleon the next day. On June 28, the Austrian III Corps was defeated outside Strasbourg by an army half its size.

Then, on July 1, l’Armée du Nord reached Mainz and, in a stroke of luck, caught the Russian III Army Corps under General Dokhtorov in the middle of crossing the Rhine. The resulting battle was as one-sided as any in the course of the war. When they tried to advance, the Russians found themselves engaged in bitter house-to-house, street-to-street fighting. When they tried to disengage and retreat, they were trapped against the river. In the end, only 15,000 Russians escaped death or capture.

But if it was the emperor’s intention to keep the Coalition on the other side of the Rhine, it was already too late for that. Even as Napoleon was destroying Dokhtorov’s army, Baron Sacken was crossing the river unopposed with an army of equal size barely twelve miles away. Langeron had crossed five days ago and had already reached the rendezvous point of Kaiserslautern.

Not to be outdone, the Austrians had moved every part of their army into French territory. The Bavarian Army and the North German Federal Army were holding Metz. III Corps was still north of Strasbourg, and I and II Corps were moving north to invest it from the other side. (Count Colloredo-Mansfeld already had a victory under his belt, having defeated the French at Chavannes.)

The Juillet Lorrain was about to begin.

DS 1815 pre-Juillet Lorrain map.png

Last edited:
Juillet Lorrain (2)
Trying to break down the campaign known as the Juillet Lorrain into individual battles is largely a waste of time. The various armies were rarely out of contact with one another for more than a few days at a time, and often pursued one another over miles of ground.

Case in point: the aftermath of Mainz. Flush with his recent string of victories, Napoleon decided to march south attack von Osten-Sacken’s army that very night night rather than allow it to escape and join the others. In the process, he neglected to allow his own army to rest. As a result, the attack was considerably less forceful than it might have been. This was compounded by the inevitable confusion surrounding any night battle.

The next day’s pursuit has often been described as “desultory,” “half-hearted” or even “deliberately slow” by those who invest the two generals with even more tactical acumen than they already possessed. The truth is simply that neither army had slept within the past 24 hours. Nonetheless, Sacken’s comparatively fresher army maintained an effective fighting retreat, and was able to escape by the end of the day.

Meanwhile, Wrede was emerging from Metz, and Langeron and VI Army Corps were venturing north from Kaiserslautern. Their aim was to do something like what the Sixth Coalition had done the previous year — force Napoleon to battle, cut him off from reinforcement and defeat him with overwhelming numbers.

They, however, were not the only ones who had learned from last year. In the Pfalzerwald, Napoleon’s army slipped between Langeron and Sacken and re-entered France.

P.G. Sherman, 1815 And All That

Juillet Lorrain (3)
Moving quickly, the Anglo-Sicilian army under Sir Hudson Lowe arrived in Marseille on July 3. Neither the Marseillais nor the army had yet heard the news of Velaine, and in a city that had once been a center of revolutionary sentiment there was now considerable hatred for the emperor, particularly among the women who had seen their men dragged off to fight in his wars again and again. (And often never to return. By now, French bodies had been left to rot from Haiti to Egypt and the gates of Moscow.)

In any case, what there was of the Grande Armée in Marseille was not enough to resist even this relatively small army. General Masséna, who was stationed there at the time, was nowhere to be found when the army came calling. Lowe and his subordinates enjoyed a good laugh at the feared Masséna fleeing, armyless, with his tail between his legs. A month later, when Masséna arrived in Lorraine at the head of 50,000 new recruits, his escape would seem less amusing.

But by then, that would not be Lowe’s problem. His problem would be the desertion of over 200 Italian soldiers to join the rebels in Italy — soldiers who somehow managed to take several pieces of artillery and escape with them…