The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) timeline

Going great, Hnau! Subscribing.

Regarding the movie's "canon" about things like space travel, I'd say go by what you see more than what you hear.

Clearly the ship has some sort of antigravity. We know Mars and Venus are not habitable but as you noticed, the Terrans of 1951 did not know that.

Frankly I wouldn't put a bit of deliberate misdirection past Klaatu, but then I'm seeing him as a character, not a Christ-figure. That is metaphorically clearly a Christ-figure but while Jesus would never mislead anyone, Klaatu can if it's innocent enough and in a good enough cause. So I suspect everything he says about how fast his ship was going and how long it took him to cover such and such a distance is technically true (he is after all decent fellow, he won't outright lie unless forced to) it's meant to give that false impression about merely being from another Solar system planet, rather than blurt out he actually came from much farther away than that!

So things he could be refraining from mentioning might be along the lines of "five months for that distance, AND 15 minutes to go 10,000 parsecs on the wormhole expressway." Or "five months...I could have been here in 5 hours but I had a lot of reading up on your planet to do; I popped out of warp, downloaded the surveillance data from the watch station the Gorts have been keeping ever since the early Han Dynasty, and put the ship in orbit around the asteroid we keep the main storage buffer at and dug into my homework."

Hmm, it's been quite a few months since I last watched the movie, and the time I saw it before that was something like 35 years ago! (It came on TV on some local station in Los Angeles when I was 10). I don't recall if he actually said to the woman--dang it I have to go back to work tomorrow morning, don't make me watch it all again tonight!:p--where he really came from and it was actually Alpha Cent, or even if he said that outright in his final speech. I think Robert Wise left it all wide open (Wise himself not knowing, in 1951, that he couldn't indeed be from Mars or Venus). But I'm presuming you have some canon reason to name that particular star as his home system?

If it's just a guess, it might as well be any of dozens of stars we know of. Even say, Zeta Reticuli!:p For that matter, if we have FTL at all, we don't know what speed limits if any may be involved, he could be from anywhere in the Galaxy or even outside it for that matter. Unless he said otherwise at some point of course.

IIRC, he did say stuff that implies that the whole Gort-patrolled metasociety he speaks for is by no means one that spans the whole Galaxy, let alone larger regions, speaking of "a number of peoples living around nearby stars" or some such. Still, he might in all innocence think of places thousands of light years apart as "local" to each other, and a society that has a radius roughly 1/5 that of the Galactic disk still only occupies just a few percent of its total volume. So the canon stuff I remember still leaves it all pretty wide open!

There's another possibility, if Klaatu is expected by those who sent him to indulge in a bit of misdirection--he could indeed be like the Reeves version, with a body custom-grown for the mission. That part might have taken the five months.

We can go farther--Reeves, like the original Wise version of Klaatu, was supposed to be a more or less organic individual, though born in a very different shape, who grew up normally in some other star system. But a more radical possibility is that actually the Wise Klaatu had not just his body but his whole self--personality, intellect, soul if you will, all of it, vat-grown for the mission. That he's basically an organic-form type of Gort, an Ambassador-Replicant.

That might explain even better why the trip takes five months to cover a merely inner-system interplanetary distance, if Klaatu is not so much being briefed as force-grown.

Again, loyal fans of the movie and the character, especially those who might want to take the Christ metaphor a bit literally, might object to this, and I would not blame them. But it's a possibility to consider!
----
One thing I caught when I was watching the beginning last summer was, when Terran radars are tracking his ship, they all agreed it was moving at a speed that sounds impressive enough, but it's about half of orbital speed, which is about 7800 meters/sec for a low orbit--I guess he could have been moving in a very high orbit. But they said he was doing this speed in the atmosphere. (Where it's an awkwardly high speed, plenty high enough for severe shock heating and other spectacular headaches, while being far too low for orbit.)

I wonder if there was a mixup; speeds in nautical miles per hour are roughly twice the number of meters per second, so Wise may have gotten very good technical advice indeed who accurately told his staff how fast a low orbit would be--in meters per second, being scientists as they were. But the staff, being non-scientists in a not-space-conscious, very much not metric early 50s USA, garbled it to mean knots.

In canon, where this speed is a fact and not a blooper, presumably Klaatu was showing the flag as it were, and could have been avoiding an embarrassing though impressive plasma ball around his ship by using the gravity drive somehow to smoothly accelerate and decelerate air around his ship, avoiding both shock waves and excessive compressive heating. (The impact energy of the Mach 12 or so airstream is mostly "parked" as it were in the gravity drive's field, and pumped back into it as it streams sedately out the back of his wake).

I pity the poor fools who think that humanity, even united, is going to make weapons any time soon that could give Gorts bent on vaporizing us in retaliation for some crime of ours any sort of hard time. If the aliens had come breathing threats and demanding intolerable concessions, I'd respect a spirited resistance, but since they were so reasonable and open, I'd be very much of the "don't do anything to annoy them" persuasion. I'd still want us to develop gravity drives and warp drives or wormhole transit capsules or whatever it is they use as soon as possible, but in my opinion anyone who tries to justify funding for that sort of research by pointing out weapons applications should be regarded as a traitor to humanity, since that sort of blowhard language and thinking is just what's likeliest to get us all vaporized.

What level of peace among humankind is needed? I think just the basic "no hitting" rule applies, just the sort of civic peace we expect in civilized countries in peacetime. Nothing crazy like everyone having to love one another or so forth! :rolleyes: Technically they don't care what we do to each other at all in fact. But the more rambunctious habits we have with each other, the more likely some roundhouse swing or flung whiskey bottle of our customary international bar fighting will hit some bystanding alien, with dire and swift consequences, so as a practical matter we'd best mellow out amongst ourselves.
----
Kudos, Hnau, on thus far extrapolating very reasonable consequences of the visit having happened in fact. I'd think not only rocketry but all science in general would get a massive boost in funding, public and private, and a rise in popularity as a career choice for young people.

The only thing I'd want to quarrel with is that you seem to accept uncritically the line for put out for public consumption at the time OTL (and presumably ITTL) that the main motive of the US intervention in Guatemala was fear of a Soviet advance base in the hemisphere. Actually as I understand it, the situation almost exactly paralleled that of Iran at the same time--except that of course the companies that were getting burned were not British but US based, and the commodities involved were not petroleum products but fruit, notably bananas. As I understand it, it wasn't even the case in either hemisphere that the local leaders involved just plain stole some foreign-owned assets out of a blue sky on a whim one morning. In both cases, the foreign company involved had extorted very large concessions out of predecessor regimes that were frankly undemocratic, by processes involving the frank use of threats of force. And before expropriating the respective company assets, the regimes in both Iran and Guatemala had simply imposed taxes on their assets and incomes consistent with those any other firm operating in their country would have to pay--in short, the expropriations in each case were a way of collecting back taxes the companies, unaccustomed as they were to any accountability to any local government whatsoever, had simply been refusing to pay.

It is true that eventually the Arbenz government in Guatemala tried to obtain weapons from the Soviets (laundered, I believe, through Czechoslovakia) but that was only after first the US government was quite visibly organizing various approaches to violently overthrowing the democratic government there, and second had intervened in the "free world" weapons market, getting all the Western European based firms they first approached to buy weapons to defend themselves from to refuse to deal. In short they were dealing with the Eastern Bloc only because the USA had arranged sanctions against them.

After that attempted Czech arms shipment was exposed, it certainly did look more like they were drifting into the Soviet camp--but only because the USA had driven them out of the Western one, simply because they tried to make a foreign-owned firm pay their taxes.

As you see, very very parallel to the Iranian situation--if anything, the Iranians were far closer to risking an actual Communist takeover than Guatemala was in 1953. And yet I don't think your timeline has Iran falling into Soviet hands just because the Americans don't try to impose a regime of their liking.

Now it could be that most Americans at the time believed the story about the Central American country going pink to red, but I can't believe anyone in the higher policy making circles believed that in any literal sense. Unless of course simply having enough of an effective government actually accountable to the people democratically was literally the same thing as being Communist in their minds--which of course would have some grim implications about their sincerity about our own government!

I think events as you've outlined them are perfectly reasonable; I do think the USA would have gone ahead and intervened there in particular. It's just that your presumably omniscient narration seemed to be accepting the very misleading public line the US put out at the time as straight historic fact, and while I stand ready to be proven wrong, I felt I needed to point out what I think was actually going on.

Because in the context of an evolving peace for humanity's evolving place in the Gort-enforced Pax Galactica, it is acceptable that we'd improve but slowly. Not also doing it to Iran is an improvement after all! But that sort of raw, high-handed (and ultimately very bloody--the coup regime started a low-grade but very long-sustained campaign of violence against the country's Mayan peoples) and greedy behavior is the kind of thing powerful nations must at least gradually stop doing, or some kind of mass violence leading to the surgical eradication of our species by the Gorts becomes eventually inevitable.

Hnau

Banned
Hey, thanks for the awesome detailed reply, Shevek! :) And thank you for the compliments.

Now, you're absolutely right that Klaatu and Gort's civilization could be anything really, and they could have been fudging the details of their technology and what they are capable of. I mean, what we 21st century science fiction fans expect of alien civilizations nowadays are near-singularity or post-singularity societies, am I right? So it makes sense that this "Interstellar Community" should be more than it seems and not such a simple 1950s version of what other civilizations would be like.

But... I guess I'm just using creative license and a little bit of Occam's Razor to keep the universe as close to the 1950s version as I think is possible. I don't want to "tweak" it any more than I have to, you know? And while its certainly possible, perhaps even more plausible that Klaatu is a vat-grown biological android and that he was leading humanity on that he came from the next planet over and that he's really just toying with the human race because they couldn't possibly ever threaten his civilization... I want to remain as true to the spirit of the 1951 film as possible. I gave Klaatu the benefit of the doubt when I watched the movie, and I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, as much as I can afford, in the timeline.

So, I'm not disagreeing with any of the points you made in your first several paragraphs, I guess I just have to say that I stand by my creative license.

I decided upon Alpha Centauri for little real reason... the nearest inhabited world could indeed be hundreds of light-years away. But, I guess, I wanted the nearest star to be inhabited so that it would make more sense for Klaatu's people to be somewhat frightened of humanity. They live right on humanity's doorstep, and as soon as they discover the hyperdrive, they'll be coming to Klaatu's planet FIRST, so that pressures them to send a warning as soon as it is discovered humanity has mastered nuclear fission.

You're completely right about Guatemala... I gave that coup very little thought or attention. While I haven't researched that part of history in-depth, I do not doubt that you are right in your analysis and I shouldn't have glossed over it. But, the main reason I had the US still overthrow the government there was because while they are the first to begin putting Klaatu's Speech into practice, it's going to take longer than a couple of years for them to get out of the Cold War "better dead than red" mindset. They are definitely getting better, to the point where Iran which is so far away doesn't look like its worth fighting over, but to have commies in their own hemisphere is another story. I guess that'll change with Cuba, though in the 1960s. Communism in the Americas will soon be permissible with Castro's example.

Hey, thanks again for all the thoughts and critiques. The next update is coming up shortly, I just finished figuring out how the Space Race is going to progress into the sixties...

Hnau

Banned
YMQUD00Z.jpg

The Nixon presidency (1961-1969)

Richard Nixon becomes the President of the United States in January 1961. It's important to realize that this President Nixon isn't the one we know from the Vietnam War and the Watergate scandal. This was a younger Nixon, a less jaded, more optimistic Nixon. While he had an even worse relationship with Eisenhower than in OTL (on account of Eisenhower being even more of a peacenik), the effects of a more peaceful, less contentious Fifties and, of course, the knowledge that an extremely powerful interstellar civilization is monitoring our every move has only moderated Nixon's views and behavior. Not too much... he's still an avid anti-communist, but that cool-headed, pragmatic Nixon we knew in the fifties is even more so ITTL.

SO, what does he do?

First of all, it's lamentable, but Nixon is against the idea of the Peace Corps and completely ignores the popular approval of it. It makes sense they'd have the Peace Corps ITTL, and the idea has garnered more attention here certainly, but Nixon doesn't support it. He won't go so far as veto legislation if it gets passed, but he won't sign an executive order on it. A bill is drafted and introduced to Congress, but it languishes in the Senate until Nixon's second term when its finally passed into law. This formally establishes the "American Volunteers for Peace", a name that is much less cool and trendy than OTL. The young men and women that leave overseas to provide technical assistance and spread the influence of democracy where it's needed are usually called "AVPs" or "Peace Volunteers".

Now for the Bay of Pigs operation. First of all, I've said before that the CIA has developed differently because of the differences in the Eisenhower administration. I need to explain this a bit more... Allen Dulles is forced to resign for one reason or another in 1958 when the German Unification Treaty is signed and there is that major rapprochement with the Soviets. His replacement is Richard Helms, who becomes Director of the CIA eight years earlier than in OTL at the young age of forty-five. As such, Richard M. Bissell is never promoted. In 1961, the two OTL architects of the Bay of Pigs invasion are not in places of power. Furthermore, Nixon is much more experienced and pragmatic than Kennedy was in OTL, even if there was a plan for the invasion of Cuba, he would have known how little chance it had for success.

That's not to say that plans are drawn up to remove and replace the Castro regime. A communist Cuba was the last thing Nixon wanted right on America's doorstep. Plans are instead made for an assassination attempt early in 1961, with invasion as a contingency. The CIA-trained assassins who are inserted into Cuba manage to kill someone who looks a lot like Fidel Castro and escape with their lives (all except for one which will eventually find himself in a Siberian gulag...), but it isn't Castro. Nixon wants the operation to be well-planned, so he postpones the invasion until 1962 to give time for reconnaissance and the training of Cuban refugees. Plans call for a direct assault on Trinidad with as much air support the US can provide. Unfortunately, by the time spring of 1962 rolls around, the CIA have lost communication with the anti-Castro rebels hiding in the mountains near Trinidad that were giving the operation a slim chance of success. It is assumed Castro has found them and had them executed. Nixon delays the operation for a few more months to reconnect with them. No good news comes from Cuba. Seeing that the Trinidad Invasion has about a 30% chance for success, President Nixon decides to call it off.

Instead, Nixon decides to maintain the embargo and tries to use his influence with Kruschev to keep Cuba from receiving too much assistance from the Soviets. It doesn't remove the Castro regime, but it keeps the Cubans poor like in OTL and no Soviet nukes will be shipped to the island. As such there is no Cuban Missile Crisis. The Cuban revolutionaries remain less radical, less militarized, and it isn't until 1964 that Castro declares the revolution Marxist-Leninist.

Instead of the Cuban Missile Crisis, in October 1962 there is signed the Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty which is much more dramatic than the OTL 1972 version. President Nixon has a wonderful diplomatic maneuver planned for Kruschev. The U-2 spy planes have been reporting for years that the Soviets are extremely behind on their nuclear arsenal and launchers, but there was no way for Eisenhower to tell the American people about it without revealing the spy plane program. During the talks, Nixon offers limitations of total strategic nuclear warheads in each country to 4,500... requiring the dismantlement of hundreds of functional American bombs. It's too good an offer for Premier Kruschev to pass up, as it'll give time for the Soviets to catch up. He gives little notice to the fact that the treaty allows for the International Atomic Energy Agency to inspect nuclear facilities to determine how many strategic nuclear warheads are being stored.

The first inspectors of the IAEA enter the Soviet Union in 1966 and in 1968 release a report that the Soviet strategic nuclear warhead stockpile is less than half the size of the American arsenal, even after the dismantlement of American warheads and the end of production of new warheads. By this point Kruschev has been replaced by Kosygin, but it makes the Soviets look much less threatening. After this point, Americans are assured of American military superiority over the communists. The Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty of 1962 also limits strategic bombers and missiles to 1,600; fighter aircraft to 6,000; tanks to 10,000 and artillery pieces to 20,000. Arms limitations become very important to the Soviet Union who needs all the money they can save to keep up with the burgeoning American space program, and also helps the Nixon administration balance the federal budget.

As for the Vietnam War, President Nixon never gets involved like the Kennedy or Johnson administrations. He does send over thousands of military advisors to South Vietnam, arms and money to support the Diem administration, but he never sends in drafted American soldiers. Nixon's methods of fighting the communists in Vietnam never go beyond what was expected in the early 1960s. As bad as President Ngo Dinh Diem gets in South Vietnam with his persecution of the Buddhists, Nixon ultimately decides against finding a replacement. The CIA tips Diem off in 1963 about the planned coup and Diem succeeds in purging his military of disloyal generals. With his military purged, the worst excesses of the Diem administration come to an end as he moderates his previous policies and is forced to depend more upon American aid.

There's no Gulf of Tonkin incident, and the United States never declares war against North Vietnam. The Tet Offensive happens in January of 1967, a year earlier than OTL. By March 1968 Saigon falls to the Communists. What follows is much like OTL, only seven years early and with less death and destruction. As such its a bit easier for Ho Chi Minh to rebuild Vietnam.

When it comes to civil rights, President Nixon is no Kennedy and certainly not Johnson. There's less of a reason to please southern voters, as the Republicans haven't started to follow the Southern strategy which in OTL started becoming important only in the late 1960s and early 1970s. I'm guessing there is something like the Civil Rights Act of 1964... Nixon doesn't veto it, but tries to distance himself from the legislation. He's ultimately less effective than Johnson was in OTL, but civil rights reform does happen. Martin Luther King still gives his I Have a Dream speech, still receives a Nobel Peace Prize, and what's better, James Earl Ray, his OTL assassin, moves to British Rhodesia in 1967. Martin Luther King is never assassinated. The terrible race riots don't erupt all at the same time as they would have in OTL following King's death, but there are worse race riots all across the country during the Sixties, just more sporadic. Without the Vietnam War to create the American anti-war movement, hippies and liberal reformers give more attention to civil rights problems. The "establishment" is seen as less imperialist and more as simply ignorant and prejudiced. This leads to a considerable divergence of the counter-cultural movement.

Hey, thanks for the awesome detailed reply, Shevek! :) And thank you for the compliments.
You deserve it, it's good stuff
Now, you're absolutely right that Klaatu and Gort's civilization could be anything really... I want to remain as true to the spirit of the 1951 film as possible. I gave Klaatu the benefit of the doubt when I watched the movie, and I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, as much as I can afford, in the timeline.

So, I'm not disagreeing with any of the points you made in your first several paragraphs, I guess I just have to say that I stand by my creative license.
Entirely your right, and quite reasonable,

Well, sort of. It seems odd that societies that are capable of star travel and the other nifty things Wise showed (it's amazing how, in the hands of a real artist, very limited special effects tech can lead to really cool looking stuff that quite rivals the most ultra-modern CGI wizardry--it's all about the showmanship and having an artistic sensibility--plausible tech, when actually realized, has a "right" sort of look to it and SFX that endure are those that capture that!) wouldn't gallop right over the singularity and become those energy beings TOS Kirk and company ran into every fourth episode or so.

Given my kind of optimism about human nature and the potentials of civilization, finding one that has moderately awesome tech but stays there for hundreds or thousands of years is a little ominous. It suggests some kind of dead hand stunting their growth. Maybe they are very ecological for instance (not that Klaatu seemed all that concerned with our ways in the '51 movie). The whole Gort thing is sort of ominous too--they are a very visible dead hand; the confederation went and created a Sorceror's Apprentice army of unstoppable Terminators they have no ability to change their minds about; what if they go all Cylon or something? Well, evidently that hasn't happened--or has it? Are the Galactics a bunch of children kept penned in a metaphoric playground by overgrown hall monitors?

I like Klaatu and the less of a liar or manipulator he is, the better. He seems like a reasonably free man to me too. But there goes one plausible line of explanation why their tech is awesome but not godlike!

While I'd be championing the most optimistic view of Galactic meta-society and hoping to accelerate tech in a peaceful way so as to join up as full members, there will be Birchers, white supremacists, various kinds of religious fundamentalists, and pessimistic hard-line Communists in both the Soviet bloc and China who will all be fearing the worst of the alien community; their fears will not go unspoken and unheeded. I'd think the upshot of the balance between hope and terror in the Kremlin would be to keep a tight rein on the pessimists in terms of not letting them get their worst-case fears in writing, and a constant sober reminder to the more panicky ones that they need to stay cool because the aliens can still squash humanity like a bug--but to listen to these fears enough as long as they are spoken in a calm and sober voice in secure chambers, and the Soviet/Russian habit of doing things in secret means that they are secretly trying to develop all the weapons they can. And something parallel is happening in the US (and Western generally) military-industrial complex too--people who rant about the evil, Godlessness, or self-imposed serfdom of the Galactics to a public forum are mocked, ridiculed, pushed to the margins of respectability--but behind closed doors, the saner ones are listened to very seriously.
I decided upon Alpha Centauri for little real reason... the nearest inhabited world could indeed be hundreds of light-years away. But, I guess, I wanted the nearest star to be inhabited so that it would make more sense for Klaatu's people to be somewhat frightened of humanity. They live right on humanity's doorstep, and as soon as they discover the hyperdrive, they'll be coming to Klaatu's planet FIRST, so that pressures them to send a warning as soon as it is discovered humanity has mastered nuclear fission.
I don't think Klaatu ever showed fear in the movie, exactly, but you've seen it more recently than me, maybe I overlooked something. He cares about Earth and its people, his fears are IIRC all on our own behalf--definitely a Christ-like figure in that respect!

But yes, if the Centaurians are our nearest neighbors, if perhaps they too are very recent joiners of the Confederation or whatever it is called, if they happen to be quite humanoid. Oh, say some meddling alien species terraformed their home world some time in the past few million years, then scooped up some early H. sapiens in the past 100,000 or so and they are in fact our biological siblings--that might explain why their civilization is in a similar ballpark to ours technologically too.

I still don't think they fear us. But certainly they are on the border.

I've always been fond of Alpha Centauri as a good system to have nice planets in. It is nearest, it has a cool name, the two main stars A and B are both well in the range we'd expect to find good planets around. It's gone out of fashion lately because people worry about the gravitational influences of the two main stars on each other's possible planets; there's concern no planets would form at all, or that a candidate for a habitable world would keep getting perturbed out of the habitable range.

That's one reason for the kludge of saying ancient aliens terraformed one or several, either taking steps to stabilize the situation or shrugging off the possibility their nice planet might get shifted into a roasting or freezing orbit some chaotic time measured in hundreds of thousands or tens of millions of years down the line--"If we're around we'll fix it, if we're not what do we care?" might be their thinking. (The other is that Klaatu is very very humanoid, more than we'd expect even of descendants of some closely related hominid line, so one solution is to say they are indeed our very species, divergent only by being separated for a hundred thousand years or so, maybe even transplanted a lot more recently than that.)

Klaatu's homeworld might conceivably be in orbit around some large Jovian or even subJovian planet. Actually the way gravitational perturbations work, those resulting from a larger body (Alpha Cent B on A's system for instance) will be the same on objects of any mass significantly lower than their own--a Jovian planet could just as likely wind up in the wrong orbit as a Terran type. So scratch that I guess, except for the coolness factor. To be sure, such a world might be a bit outside the habitable zone but getting significant heat from the big primary (if it's bigger than Jupiter anyway) but that puts it farther out in A's system where B's fluctuating influences are relatively stronger.

I guess either Klaatu's homeworld just has to take its cosmic chances (and there is plenty of geological evidence there of having been in less hospitable orbits in the past) or my hypothetical meddling ancient aliens did set up devices to intervene and keep it in the safe range.

An Earthlike world orbiting A, if we can accept it can exist, would be a cool place to live; B might threaten to screw up its orbit (gradually, over geological timespans) but it wouldn't impart any significant heat, being about as far away as either Uranus or Neptune (I forget which) is from Earth. (And a dimmer star than A too). But it would be very bright in the sky--very clearly visible in broad daylight, lighting up the night (for half the year!) much brighter than a full moon does Earth. You could probably read by B-light, and see colors clearly. It would look distinctly dimmer than daylight to our eyes, a twilight I guess.
You're completely right about Guatemala...
Well, I was ranting, sorry. Bottom line, sure the USA would still act just as you describe. And to be cynical about it, humanity might still play quite a lot of dirty tricks on itself for generations to come.
Hey, thanks again for all the thoughts and critiques. The next update is coming up shortly, I just finished figuring out how the Space Race is going to progress into the sixties...

Oh yay!

The situation in Guatemala is a little different. Americans have more vested interests here, and its closer to home. To let the Soviets establish a beach-head in the Western hemisphere would be political suicide. The CIA-led coup d'etat goes off normally here, though Eisenhower is slightly more reluctant. As an aside, Operation Wetback goes off without a hitch, leading to the deportation of tens of thousands of illegal immigrants. McCarthy falls from power in 1954 as in OTL. The Federal Aid Highway Act also goes through in 1956. In these issues, everything goes as in OTL.

Arbenz had compensated United Fruit for land for was affected by land reform. The Arbenz government was a moderate reformist government instituting New Deal style reforms and did have any Communists in it. Only in CIA and extreme right propaganda did it constitute a Soviet beachhead.

Wonder if Klaatu's ship was a shuttle from a cloaked mother ship somewhere out there.Good thread.BTW what do you think of these comments made by people who claimed to have written other books on SF films.First one says Klaatu 's message was "You Did not accept my message.I will now return to my people".WTH?Second commentator said Klaatu's speech is equivalent to a parent grounding their teenager!OMG!Thoughts?

Hnau

Banned
edvader said:
BTW what do you think of these comments made by people who claimed to have written other books on SF films.First one says Klaatu 's message was "You Did not accept my message.I will now return to my people".WTH?Second commentator said Klaatu's speech is equivalent to a parent grounding their teenager!OMG!Thoughts?

I imagine these OTL reactions to The Day the Earth Stood Still will probably be echoed ITTL, only more so. I'm sure many people, especially at first, will feel the galactic confederation has no right to impose their demands on Earth.

Sean Mulligan said:
Arbenz had compensated United Fruit for land for was affected by land reform. The Arbenz government was a moderate reformist government instituting New Deal style reforms and did have any Communists in it. Only in CIA and extreme right propaganda did it constitute a Soviet beachhead.

I guess I need to edit that installment to show that the US was completely unjustified in intervening in the country, as it currently reads as if I agree with American propaganda at the time.

Shevek23 said:
Well, sort of. It seems odd that societies that are capable of star travel and the other nifty things Wise showed (it's amazing how, in the hands of a real artist, very limited special effects tech can lead to really cool looking stuff that quite rivals the most ultra-modern CGI wizardry--it's all about the showmanship and having an artistic sensibility--plausible tech, when actually realized, has a "right" sort of look to it and SFX that endure are those that capture that!) wouldn't gallop right over the singularity and become those energy beings TOS Kirk and company ran into every fourth episode or so.

You are right that it seems odd. Once humanity visits Alpha Centauri in their new FTL ships, I'll make sure to describe Klaatu's civilization in detail and provide an explanation why their technological progression has stagnated. It could be something as simple as "we've tried creating machines more intelligent than us, but it's impossible to do!" or "we've realized that tradition is the foundation for true happiness and stability for our species, so we refuse to advance any farther". And, who knows, maybe the interstellar community IS ruled by post-singularity god-machines, only they make allowances for pre-singularity civilizations to participate in their Non-Aggression Zone. There are many possibilities to work with.

Shevek23 said:
While I'd be championing the most optimistic view of Galactic meta-society and hoping to accelerate tech in a peaceful way so as to join up as full members, there will be Birchers, white supremacists, various kinds of religious fundamentalists, and pessimistic hard-line Communists in both the Soviet bloc and China who will all be fearing the worst of the alien community; their fears will not go unspoken and unheeded.

True. Humanity isn't going to rid itself of its worst members for quite a while, which could cause problems down the road. I imagine interstellar ships are going to remain quite expensive for a while, though, which means the governments of Earth will have tight control of who gets to ride around in them and interact with the ETs. Of course, maybe there is a government that wants to rebel against the existing galactic social order... which could cause problems.

Shevek23 said:
I don't think Klaatu ever showed fear in the movie, exactly, but you've seen it more recently than me, maybe I overlooked something. He cares about Earth and its people, his fears are IIRC all on our own behalf--definitely a Christ-like figure in that respect!

It's not more of a "I hope they don't come to the homeworld and launch a surprise nuclear attack on one of our cities!" Which action would have some effect on the population, despite advanced shielding tech, anti-missile tech, medical technology and the ability to restore the dead to life. Whatever interstellar ship we could throw together to attack Klaatu's planet would get destroyed nearly immediately by robots like Gort, and the nation responsible for the attack would also be crippled by a full-on invasion of Earth, but we might kill anywhere from a couple of Klaatu's people to hundreds or tens of thousands, and that's what they are ultimately afraid of. They aren't afraid that the humans will pose a serious threat, but that their planet might be attacked, damaging some infrastructure and killing some people. I think that's a reasonable worry...

Shevek23 said:
I've always been fond of Alpha Centauri as a good system to have nice planets in. It is nearest, it has a cool name, the two main stars A and B are both well in the range we'd expect to find good planets around. It's gone out of fashion lately because people worry about the gravitational influences of the two main stars on each other's possible planets; there's concern no planets would form at all, or that a candidate for a habitable world would keep getting perturbed out of the habitable range.

Yeah, I'm not sure how likely a habitable planet there would be actually, but whatever is the best option there to encourage the development of a technological civilization I'll take. A habitable moon of a gas giant in the habitable zone sounds possible, but I think a regular terrestrial planet would be more likely. However, it will likely have a very eccentric orbit, perhaps close to Mercurian eccentricity, due to gravitational perturbations from Alpha Centauri B, with its eccentricity shifting over cycles of millions of years like Mars. That could lead to some crazy climatic shifts every epoch or so. I'm thinking that the planet there is a kind of super-Arean planet, a larger Mars smack-dab in the habitable zone with a smaller hydrosphere, large deserts, but with advanced lifeforms.

1) TTL Vietnam doesn't really ring true to me. If the coup against Diem didn't take place, the worst abuses of the regime were ameliorated, and the Nixon Administration followed a more carefully modulated strategy of support to South Vietnam based on advisors instead of mass troop commitments, why did the North win so much earlier than OTL? I'd assume that if the situation got critical enough, Nixon would have ordered airstrikes to blast the advancing North Vietnamese columns. With no Vietnam War to divide the country, there'd probably be a good deal more support for moderated efforts to keep South Vietnam from falling to the Communists.

2) I assume that Star Trek goes ahead more or less as OTL, but that it's a ratings-topping hit instead of struggling through its three seasons (see: That Wacky Redhead :)) and that a character from Klaatu's world is one of the Enterprise's crew (and the Enterprise carries a squad of Gorts for when Kirk absolutely, positively needs to send a message :D).

The 'Nam situation is kind of odd. Basically I'd account for it by suggesting that over the 1950s, while the East/West rivalry remains live and a serious factor on both sides, both sets of leaders feel eyes over their heads looking over their shoulders and taking notes on what they do and perhaps writing a final report on just what idiots sealed Terran humanity's final doom; they don't want to be filed away as that fool. So they gradually get used to toning down the rhetoric and foregoing the thrill of really sticking it into the other guy's eye at every chance, and instead focus on solving problems piecemeal and abiding by tacit rules.

So the USA is going to try and prevent South Vietnam going Communist if they can, but they aren't going to want to play it up as some grand crusade. This dampens the enthusiasm and puts a premium on not making unnecessary waves--hence for instance the decision to back Diem rather than approve the coup that started a revolving door of Vietnamese leadership that never stopped turning until Saigon fell in '75 OTL. Not being deluded into the hope that if they just keep trying new Vietnamese leaders out eventually they'll get the one they want, but believing they have to play the cards as they lie, they gradually work out the parameters Diem has to play by too if he expects American aid which he badly needs.

So the Americans and Soviets are playing it safer and by more rules. The Viet Minh aren't. Diem gets it hammered into his head, as much by losing to the VM as by acerbic words from American envoys, that he has to try and make the RSV look more legitimate; meanwhile he has to build up a suitable ARVN with mostly Vietnamese soldiers, Americans are really advisors and nothing more and they stay that way. Under the gun of necessity and with painfully forced longer experience, Diem manages to hang on, with generous shipments of American supplies.

Having avoided making Vietnam a litmus test of credibility, when the North finally does prevail in the Seventies, the Americans can be philosophical about it. Most ordinary citizens have hardly heard of the place, no more than we'd think about Brunei or Nepal. It would be rather like Angola and Mozambique going leftist, which actually happened OTL around the time of the fall of Saigon.

Hnau

Banned
Oh, yes, Nixon is re-elected. :)

I'll have to think about the Vietnam War again and see if any retcons are necessary... I have to say though, I think that without Johnson putting in American soldiers the communists are going to win pretty quickly.

Star Trek will definitely be different! I'll write a bit about that next update.

Sorry about the slow going on the next installment, I've got a big essay due in my film history class that is taking up a lot of my time.

I watched the movie too and I feel that the galactic confederation was really paranoid. Scarred of a planet that is not even a threat yet. And even when he showed up he could have warned by radio first? Imagine a space ship land in the white house garden without warning today I am sure it wouldn't receive that good of a reception. Just saying

I watched the movie too and I feel that the galactic confederation was really paranoid. Scarred of a planet that is not even a threat yet. And even when he showed up he could have warned by radio first? Imagine a space ship land in the white house garden without warning today I am sure it wouldn't receive that good of a reception. Just saying

Well, they weren't so much issuing a threat of a response they might consider so much as a warning that an automatic violence-suppression system, developed centuries (or far longer) ago without us in mind in particular, is in operation in this part of the Galaxy (and who knows how far out) that will strike us down inexorably if we were to take certain actions. It's more like the Doomsday Machine in Dr Strangelove than a mobilization against us.

We got the warning when we did because we'd crossed certain technological thresholds that indicated that if we didn't blow ourselves up first without their help, by and by pretty soon now we'd be in a position to inadvertently trigger a devastating burst of deadly force. By warning us early, shortly after the demonstration that we knew a thing or two about practical nuclear physics, they give us time to adjust our thinking in whatever manner we choose to this reality we'd have no other way of knowing about.

I take it as a very friendly warning. Not everyone on Earth would of course. Which is a good reason to deliver it early, in the 1950s, and not wait until we are about to make the breakthrough to gravity control or whatever enables their ships to fly the way they do. It might take generations to adapt. And they might know, or anyway estimate, this based on the experience of dozens, hundreds, thousands or more newly technological peoples they may have dealt with over the unknown timespan the Gort peacekeepers have been in operation. It could be that they used to wait too long and too many promising societies put themselves in the path of total destruction. And then maybe they overcompensated and gave their message too early, say when the rough equivalent of Newtonian theory began to propagate (but that would require some kind of active surveillance of a great many potentially technological species) or perhaps more likely when the first coherent radio signals began broadcasting (requires only a small, passive satellite somewhere in the system or if its "ears" are big and sensitive enough, spotted every ten light years or so). And found that was too disruptive. I suggest they have a sort of meta-anthropological theoretical system that allows them to estimate the timetable of technical and social development, and both theory and experience indicate that a few years after the first large-scale nuclear explosion on the planet is about the right time to show up and explain things. For one thing, a people who have just recently developed A-bombs probably haven't built up a stockpile yet that can totally ruin their homeworld, but have faced either the reality or the prospect of nuclear Armageddon and are now thinking very seriously about where technology might take them and that perhaps the time has come for a new level of maturity in international relations. They are thinking this on their own, in some terms or other, so the alien message that yes, there is an organization of planets and we are entitled to join but certain rules apply (whether we care to sign off on them or not) for necessary reasons we might appreciate is not going to be as alien and out of the blue as it would have been even a generation before, when only science fiction held out the potential doom (as well as benefits) advancing technology would bring.

To be sure, OTL on Earth for well over a generation before 1945, a lot of people already understood we'd crossed a threshold when they reflected on gas warfare, the prospect of germ warfare, and the whole charnel house mess and massive stirring-up of the whole planet the Great War brought. But it was Hiroshima and Nagasaki that moved this from speculative fiction, however popular and underscored by real-world experience, to a stark fact.

In my opinion, the Gorts were set up a very long time ago to follow very simple, straightforward rules, and what Klaatu warned Earth of was that if their response is triggered they will go to extremes; I think they won't discriminate between nations, they will operate with no model of the multinational character of human politics. If any Terran anywhere in space exceeds the norms, all of Earth will be devastated--all of humanity everywhere will be hunted down and exterminated. It's up to us to learn the rules and follow them, or be destroyed.

They'd have had to have kept it simple like that to allow for very divergent worldviews that come from very different evolutionary experiences in a wide variety of environments that might give rise to technology-developing intelligences.

The nuance, the anthropology, the estimates of when to intervene and the body that accredits Klaatu are separate. I believe the Gorts recognize the concept of a proper Galactic Federation or whatever it calls itself and recognize its agents as having a special status and certain discretion. But the Gort system does not follow their orders; they won't spare a people at the behest of its Security Council, nor will they attack preemptively. But they will accompany an agent of that body and assist them, within parameters. I presume the Gort system gathers information, about technological developments so they can adopt any technology newly developed in the Galaxy and never be surpassed. I presume they have at least a sporadically updated survey of the Galaxy, they look for precursors of the rise of intelligence and monitor discovered new species. The Federation routinely shares information they gather with the Gort security system, and in turn are informed of interesting developments. When a species begins star travel (or interplanetary, in the rare systems where two potential intelligence-fostering ecosystems exist) I guess the Gort ships shadow their expeditions, and observe how they interact with pre-starfaring peoples they might encounter--perhaps there is an equivalent to the Trek Federation's Prime Directive and the Gort ships interpose to prevent anyone but them and those they escort landing on such worlds or otherwise making contact; obstinate attempts to evade the quarantine might be one of the triggers of genocide.

But the decision to deliver a friendly warning, its format and content--that's something the Gorts let the Federation protocols decide and handle, under their observation of course.

This is based on Klaatu's explanations; he says the Gorts will wipe out humanity if we violate the rules. There's no deal he offers regarding that, it's just a fact that we should know about. Neither we nor his people have any choice in the matter.

At the same time I think he is offering a deal, but it's on the side. There are positive aspects of the Galactic meta-civilization and he invites us to share in them. But his most urgent message is about something not in his control at all, nor in that of his highest superiors.

His people probably are not worried we will hurt them, even if they aren't themselves a lot more advanced than us and they are our nearest neighbors at Alpha Centauri. The Gorts won't preemptively stop an attack but they will observe a likely one in progress, and give stylized warnings before its perpetrators cross the line, and if they persist and begin landing actual blows, summarily destroy the attackers, and perhaps go on to exterminate their species. And perhaps not, there is some room for nuance I guess--like say, a small attack that doesn't look like the concerted effort of a whole species is itself destroyed in detail, then the Gorts visit limited but not exterminatory devastation on that whole species capabilities--such as seeking out and destroying entire categories of weapons facilities for instance, with minimum collateral damage but no apologies for what bystanders they do kill. I'd think that would be in the nature of a final warning and a punishment and an objective reduction of a species that is known to have moderately misbehaved capabilities to harm a second victim. Meanwhile the first victim will indeed have suffered some harm, because the Gorts won't make any presumptions until an actual violation occurs (just give warning signals) but fairly little as once one side initiates actual violence it will be systematically reduced immediately.

That's my description of Gorts in a generous, forgiving, tolerant mood. Or rather they have no moods, that's my guess as to how tolerant the programing might be.

A second such attack on anyone would probably lead not to more devastating punishment/warning/reduction, but final termination.

Perhaps the Gorts aren't totally oblivious to the concept of crime and rouge behavior and will be restrained in their retaliations on a people that is actively aiding them in tracking down and neutralizing bad actors. But I'd think they'd get progressively stricter with a people that keeps generating such, no matter how helpful other sectors of them are.

It's up to the peoples to adapt to the behaviors that the Gorts merely observe without action, and learn, however they like, to avoid the ones they suppress. A bit of nuance in the Gort program allows margin for a people to learn, but protection of third parties is going to take priority over patience with initiators of violence.

Nietzsche

Banned
This is quite excellent...I am however upset by lack of Godzilla. It'd give some action to the Pacific, and he's got his own host of aliens. Some of them are incredibly retarded, but the Xilians are quite good...in the sense they can control a world-destroying beast and invade earth on the pretense of help against, well, said Godzilla.

I don't like the idea of humanity taking this sitting down, anyone with half a brain would understand that the Gorts and the Galactic Federation, by their own actions have shown themselves to be an intolerable threat to mankind, and that innovative solutions. I hope humanity simply tells the GF to screw off and if they persist simply threaten to unleash Berserkers on them :D

You know, humanity does have the option to simply stay on Earth, perhaps even have the whole Solar system to ourselves, and go to hell in our own way. The Gorts only get involved if we bother other people.

By the way, since Hnau did mention some acceleration of human tech and seems to assume we'd develop starships pretty soon, I've been wondering what if anything different from OTL helps in that respect.

Aside from the possible benefit of humanity in general backing away from warfare and investing more in serious science and technological development instead, I can't think of much. Klaatu's ship landed before anyone had a chance to set up lots of scientific instrumentation to get insights from its measurable effects; when it took off it was a surprise too.

So aside from that, and observations of other Galactic ships that might appear in the skies, the only intervention the aliens do that might give science some useful clues was the mass shutdown of electrical stuff the title of the movie refers to. Since airplanes in the air and hospitals and other essential stuff were exempted, some useful data might have been accidentally collected; that might point the way toward how to achieve gravity control, which is clearly very useful in itself and might in turn lead to FTL and other neat things, like effective fusion reactors for instance.

I'd suggest such advances must still take decades, at least to yield practical results. Unless we can attract some Galactic visitors to come teach us stuff.

Frankly, though unlike some people I think the Galactics are cool, I have enough Terran chauvinism to hope we do it ourselves without alien help. Not because I'm--let me say, to keep it mild, misguided--enough to think militarily challenging the damn Universe is an option, but just because I have positive pride in human potential and would rather demonstrate it in a positive way.

So I'd suggest a subtle approach, focusing mostly on how our society changes with the certain knowledge we are being watched, and just some tantalizing hints of progress in ATL science, maybe something solid enough for a theory of how to practically achieve gravity manipulation by the mid to late 80s, and the first crude practical results in the early 2000s. With the technology only coming together about now.

Meanwhile our other tech progresses a bit faster, due to more cooperation and less conflict globally.