The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) timeline

Hnau

Banned
dayearthstoodstill.jpg

I just watched the older black-and-white version for my film history class. It was surprisingly engaging! I loved it. I guess I'm a sucker for Christian allegory in science fiction. Warning: This thread will feature heavy spoilers!

It's October 1951 and in the last few days shocking events have occurred.
Klaatu, an extraterrestrial emissary from an interstellar community of advanced alien civilizations, landed an atomic-power flying saucer in Washington's D.C., was shot at while trying to present a gift to humanity and afterward was medically treated and interrogated at a nearby hospital. There is much excitement and agitation because of his arrival. Klaatu desired an international conference to be organized so he could give his message to the leaders of nations of the world, all at one time. Frustrated with political impediments to the organization of such a conference, Klaatu escapes the hospital and masquerades as "Mr. Carpenter" in order to experience human society. He visits with a leading American scientist, Professor Barnhardt, who agrees to help him assemble a meeting of leading world scientists who would listen to his message. In order to convince humanity of the graveness of the situation, Klaatu re-enters his flying saucer and using technology inside is able to shut off electricity all over the world for thirty minutes. Hospitals and airplanes are not effected. This alarms the entire world. Klaatu is discovered by the military, is shot and killed, but his robot Gort retrieves his body and has it rejuvenated in the flying saucer. Klaatu speaks briefly to about a hundred scientists representing the international community and also the soldiers charged in guarding the dormant flying saucer. His message is that the interstellar community has created a number of robots like Gort with amazing destructive power who are charged with patrolling the inhabited worlds in order to identify and eliminate violence. The interstellar community has been observing humanity, and has been content to leave them to their own internal violent conflicts, but if they expand their violent activities into space, the policing robots will be forced to destroy the Earth. Klaatu and Gort re-enter their flying saucer and fly away.

What alternate timeline would this create? Let's look at a few items of interest:

- It has now been proven that probably many sightings of flying saucers and other UFOs are in fact extraterrestrial visitors, most likely the interstellar robotic police force mentioned by Klaatu. It is implied that these robots often navigate the star systems alone, Klaatu is merely there to communicate his message in order to warn humanity. We can also expect these interstellar craft are powered by some atomic process (fusion drives?) and have great destructive power.

- Klaatu may not have had such humanoid body after all. The human doctors examining him remarked that his body was implausibly identical to those of humans. I think its very likely his body was changed in order to communicate more efficiently with the humans, much like in the 2008 remake. But, it must be assumed that those who inhabit the Alpha Centauri system have a similar body plan to humans, evidenced by the humanoid appearance of Gort. Bilateral, bipedal body plans similar to those of humanity must be prevalent for intelligent life throughout the galaxy, a consequence of convergent evolution.

- Klaatu says that it took him five months to travel 250 million miles... very impressive, but at an average speed of 70,000 mph it would take tens of thousands of years to make the journey to the Solar System from Alpha Centauri. This was probably a mistake by the writers, but I don't want to go against canon. What could explain these figures given by Klaatu? One idea is that there could be some kind of "Warp Point" 250 million miles away, maybe an area where the gravitational effects of the Sun would diminish to the point where a FTL drive is possible. Another possibility is that Klaatu was only awake the last five months of his journey during the de-acceleration phase, in which he covered 250 million miles, but that his ship is capable of much faster top speeds. I'd like to keep with the idea, however, that his ship is powered by atomic energy, perhaps even something like antimatter catalyzed fusion, because this gives him a reason to come to Earth: humans are developing atomic energy, which means they could shortly expand into space. However, it seems unlikely that even advanced versions of a fusion drive would push a space craft much faster than 0.1 c for interstellar distances.

Let's see if STL travel is even possible in this scenario. Okay, a cloaked observation probe in the Solar System deduces that humanity has detonated an atomic bomb in 1945. A tight-beam signal is sent towards Alpha Centauri, which arrives in 1950. Klaatu would have at most one year to get to Earth from Alpha Centauri, an impossible voyage with STL travel. So there must be an FTL drive somewhere.

We've got to assume that some kind of FTL drive is possible, that the technology can be created through the utilization of atomic power, and that it is only functional at about 3.7 AUs from our Sun. Stars with larger masses might have even larger no-FTL zones. I'm imagining some kind of gravitometric generator that relies on a high amounts of energy which could be produced only through advanced fusion, which could in turn create not only artificial gravity but a field that would "pop a spaceship out of regular, three-dimensional space itself" in a process that this article hints is somewhat theoretically possible.

So, observation craft picked up evidence that humans had detonated an atomic bomb, they warped to Alpha Centauri, then Klaatu warped back into the Solar System, traveled from 3.7 AU to Earth in five months. The probe leaves in August 1945 after the the Hiroshima explosion confirms findings from the Trinity test that humanity has mastered rudimentary atomic power. It arrives at Alpha Centauri A about April 1948, tight-beams the info to the habitable planet there (~1.25 AU from the star), a decision is made to send Klaatu. Klaatu travels passed no-FTL zone, warps to the Solar System, hibernates on the way there, arrives in-system around April 1951, travels five months to Earth and lands in Washington D.C. around October 1951. What does this all mean? Klaatu's fusion-powered FTL drive can attain average speeds up to perhaps 2 c.

That's coming from a civilization that has mastered the technology. Perhaps humanity's first experiments create engines much less efficient and it must be perfected over long periods of time, but even with spacecraft using engines 10% as efficient, an aggressive humanity could conceivably travel to nearby star systems and take part in violent action. The interstellar community would have good reason to be frightened and send such a rapid response to the Earth after having discovered their development of atomic power. Also, it must be relatively easy to build this drive, perhaps it is just beyond our current 2012 level of technology... otherwise, why wouldn't the aliens take a bit more of their sweet time to give us this warning?

- Interestingly enough, humanity wouldn't be aware of FTL drives or no-FTL zones immediately. I think Klaatu dropped enough hints that scientists could figure it out after some hypothesizing and testing. But initially, it is assumed that Klaatu came from Venus or Mars, according to the American radio. Humanity has no idea these planets are inhabitable. This could create more of a motivation to send probes to these planets to discover if there is life there.

- Only a hundred scientists and some American soldiers were there for Klaatu's Speech. Looking at the footage, it looks unlikely that there were cameras rolling. Would audio-recorders be small enough at this point that they'd be easy to conceal? If so maybe some of the scientists were carrying audio recorders and picked up the speech, but if not, the scientists and soldiers will be incredibly important as witnesses to Klaatu's warning. The scientists were said to be "the best in their fields from the international community", but they arrived very quickly in Washington D.C. Klaatu gave Dr. Barnhardt only two days to assemble the meeting. That's very little time to send invites and organize transportation. I think its likely that only a couple of the scientists were from the Communist bloc, as communication between the scientific communities divided by the Cold War was difficult at that time. Most were probably American scientists. With little corroborating evidence and observation by Russian scientists, Stalinist Russia could deny the speech as a hoax, a capitalist ruse. Even in the United States of America, many will create different theories about Klaatu and his warning. It's undeniable that he arrived here in an advanced interstellar craft and that he stopped electricity worldwide for half an hour, but perhaps the scientists are bluffing about Klaatu's real intentions! With more than a hundred individuals to testify, it would be hard to cast doubt, but doubt will be cast, especially by those outside of the United States and the Western bloc.

I expect that these scientists will organize under the leadership of Dr. Barnhardt to defend their claims and become proponents for world peace and the peaceful development of technology, lest the Earth be destroyed. People will inevitably listen to and heed their message, more and more as time passes, but initially it may not be so.

- How will the visitation of the Earth from beyond affect technology and especially the Space Race? I mentioned before that humanity will be at first more motivated to send exploratory probes to Mars and Venus. What else? Atomic power has been confirmed to be very useful in interstellar travel, so plans for nuclear thermal rockets might be developed sooner and more money would be invested into these projects.

Scientists would be divided on the proper course of action. Should humanity wait until it grows out of its violent tendencies before sending spacecraft out? If humanity remains violent and develops the technology Klaatu's race feared it would, the Earth would be destroyed. It might be a good idea to stall space technology development until political problems are solved. Others, however, will point to the visitation as proof that space travel is possible and other civilizations are doing it rather easily, so we should get into space as soon as possible! They would argue that these robotic police patrols will only destroy the Earth if they take violent action against other worlds... as long as we keep our space craft from going to other systems, we should be fine. Heck, we could even fight wars between each other in our own solar system, after all, didn't Klaatu say that his civilization wasn't concerned with their own internal violent squabbles? And shouldn't space be militarized as soon as possible to defend from possible threats by these robotic police patrols?

The result, I believe, would be a polarizing effect on those scientists that believe in Klaatu's message. The majority faction would advocate peaceful development in space but would hold back against nuclear propulsion and even manned exploration of the planets until violence on Earth has been eliminated. The minority faction, still influential I would assume, would believe it is more important to build up defenses against this new threat, just in case, to give humanity a fighting chance, and that there is no reason why they should hold back on technological development as long as they don't send ships to other inhabited worlds.

More students would be interested in space-based technologies, too, because of the events of The Day the Earth Stood Still. That would whip up the public imagination like the Apollo landings never did. More scientists would thus enter those fields. If the government devotes more attention to these technologies, and more funding, then there will be more drawing hearts and minds to the industry.

The development of space exploration technologies will no doubt be accelerated in whatever case following the 1951 visitation, at first mostly in the United States, followed eventually by the rest of the world.

- What political developments would occur because of Klaatu's message? Most of the scientists who heard it were American, Klaatu visited the capital the United States of America, and was interrogated by Americans. Americans, as such, will be influenced by this message earlier and to more of a degree than any other country. There is now a group of a hundred individuals, the best minds of Western civilization and a few other cultures, who are active proponents of world peace... lest we all be destroyed. That's a powerful message. How might this affect the ongoing Korean War? What about this period of the Cold War? How would this influence future elections?

There's no doubt in my mind that, if anything, the 1951 visitation of Earth by Klaatu will encourage pacifistic government policies and pacifistic movements. If anything, we can assume that American policy will eventually start leaning towards more pacifism and conciliation with others. Eventually, the whole world will be influenced to one degree or another to be more critical of wars and violent activity. The Cold War will cool off faster and detente will begin sooner and most likely be longer lasting, perhaps even permanent. Perhaps when Kruschev begins the period of de-Stalinization in the Soviet Union, he might throw light on the issue of Klaatu's message and accept it for more than an American trick. Who knows what might be possible because of this, but I think the results can only be positive for world peace.

Any other ideas? Would anyone like to see a timeline made from this?

Last edited:
Would love a timeline like this. Have some ideas but too late atm for me to coherently suggest them at present.
Will subscribe and see what i can add on weekend.

Dialga

Banned
The big question is: Can violence be eliminated from the human heart, and if so, how?

Somehow I feel it can't be done and humanity is screwed.

Hnau

Banned
Klaatu's Speech

"I am leaving soon and you'll forgive me if I speak bluntly. The universe grows smaller every day and the threat of aggression by any group anywhere can no longer be tolerated. There must be security for all or no one is secure. Now this does not mean giving up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly. Your ancestors knew this when they made laws to govern themselves and hired policemen to enforce them. We, of the other planets, have long accepted this principle. We have an organization for the mutual protection of all planets and for the complete elimination of aggression. The test of any such higher authority is, of course, the police force that supports it. For our policemen we created a race of robots. Their function is to patrol the planets in spaceships like this one and preserve the peace. In matters of aggression we have given them absolute power over us. This power cannot be revoked. At the first signs of violence they act automatically against the aggressor. The penalty for provoking their action is too terrible to risk. The result is we live in peace without arms or armies, secure in the knowledge that we are free from aggression and war, free to pursue more profitable enterprises. Now, we do not pretend to have achieved perfection, but we do have a system, and it works. I came here to give you these facts. It is no concern of ours how you run your own planet, but if you threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder. Your choice is simple: join us and live in peace, or pursue your present course and face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer. The decision rests with you."

Now, the question on everyone's minds will be: how much violence will the interstellar community tolerate? It seems like violent crime perpetrated by individuals will not lead to the destruction of Earth... I mean, have the other alien civilizations really advanced to the point where crime has been completely eliminated? I highly doubt it. The robot policemen apparently act "against the aggressor", and maybe wouldn't condemn the entire human race to a fiery death in the event of violent aggression against the interstellar community. Even if the Soviets, for example, launched a fleet of ships for a military offensive against Alpha Centauri, might the robots only destroy that fleet? Would they lead an attack on all Soviet military? Would they extend their destruction to the bureaucracy in Moscow, to the entire city of Moscow, to the entire population of the Soviet Union, to the entire population of the Communist bloc, to the entire population of Earth?

It seems very uncivilized to blame all the nations of the world for the actions of one nation, but then again, Klaatu's warning was quite dire. It seems they have some very rigid uncompromising laws in place concerning the punishment of violence. I have to assume that if a country coordinated an attack against a member of the interstellar community, then the robots would "declare war" so to speak against that country. Their fleets would vaporize that country's military and space tech wherever they could find it, and would follow up with a direct attack on Moscow and wherever the ruling government could be found until the Soviets surrendered and signed a peace agreement to never extend their military into space again. If such coordinated attacks happened again and again, the robots could very well blame the entire human race and destroy the Earth. I doubt they'd want to make a planet inhabitable... more likely their ships would just vaporize every human and human settlement they could find.

Last edited:

Hnau

Banned
15565.jpg

Flight to Mars (1951 film)

Originally targeted for a November release, after the events of October this movie would probably be pushed back to a Christmas release. The movie was filmed in only five days, so it probably wouldn't be hard to film new footage to portray it differently. What footage they kept would be heavily re-edited so that the Martian civilization could be shown as part of the "Galactic Community". Some characters would also have dialogue mentioning the visit of Klaatu. Instead of heading towards the Moon originally, the astronauts would be heading directly for Mars to visit Klaatu's people. While they wouldn't find Klaatu on Mars, the astronauts would find a much more pacific Martian culture than in the OTL plot. Much more attention would be focused on the utopian nature of the Martian civilization, and also the romantic triangle between main character Steve, his female Martian assistant, and Carol the woman astronaut on the expedition. The intrigue between the Martians and the humans is completely cut out of the film unlike in OTL, the Martians help the human astronauts rebuild their ship and return to Earth with gifts for humanity.

The film would no doubt prove popular after the real, extraterrestrial visitation in October, and would be followed by a sequel Voyage to Venus in 1952. The utopian Venusian civilization featured in that movie would be similar to the Martian one. In the end, the astronauts return to Earth with a ship full of Venusian fruit trees which are planted in Earth's soil. The message of the two films would be that, yes, humanity can explore space peacefully, can have peaceful relationships with other planets, and bring back fantastic new technologies and commodities to Earth. Another theme is that science and logic is of extreme benefit to society and can solve any problem.

Hnau

Banned
Truman presidency

What differences would there be until he leaves office in 1953? Well, I think he might give more attention to establishing an actual armistice in the Korean War. However, by the time it becomes apparent that he won't win another term, the author of the Truman Doctrine would probably continue supporting ongoing warfare in order to roll back communism as much as possible, and leave the trouble of ending the conflict to his successor. So few to no divergences here.

I see little reason why Truman would differ in his opinions against Senator McCarthy, or why he would react differently to the coal and steel strikes of 1952. What would there be to change? Perhaps there will be a presidential address in reaction to the events of the Klaatu visitation. No doubt many of his speeches will reference those events and the revelation that advanced civilizations are watching ours from afar. Less attention will be given towards anti-communism and more attention will be given towards the responsibility that humanity now has to unify the world and spread peace to every corner of it.

Perhaps Truman will do more to unify the scientific and bureaucratic forces that need to come together to begin development of space technologies. I like the idea that late in 1952 he leads the transition of the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics to a non-military agency that would manage the development of space technology, a NASA analogue. Taking a cue from Lords of Creation, let's call it the National Aerospace Force Administration (NAFA) or just the "Aerospace Force". Let's see what butterflies that would create.

As for the hydrogen bomb, let's also say that enough scientists are upset by the Klaatu speech that development of the hydrogen bomb is delayed somewhat. "Ivy Mike" isn't tested in November 1952, rather, Truman leaves his successor to decide on testing it and to give the press release concerning the development of this new weapon. The first hydrogen bomb isn't detonated until sometime after January 1953.

Now, the question is, would Eisenhower still win the 1952 election? And if he does how might his presidency diverge from that of OTL?

Last edited:

Hnau

Banned
ufo-government-041.jpg

The 1952 Saucer Sightings

On July 19, 1952, a few minutes before midnight, a small fleet of eleven saucer-shaped spacecraft with bright orange lights appeared above Washington, D.C. The city's populace held its breath once again, expecting that perhaps they would land like last October. The saucers did not report to radio broadcasts directed towards them or any other attempt made by humans to communicate. Over the next three hours they flew over the entirety of the city and then were gone. On the evening of July 20, the next day, the saucer craft flew over the city once more and radar echoes showed that they were moving at more than 900 mph. They disappeared in a couple hours.

On July 21, 1952, President Henry Truman addressed the nation and reported that it seemed the planet Earth was still under the observation, and that the country should not panic if it occurs in the future. He also expressed the opinion that the testimonies of the hundred scientists were truthful, that Klaatu came from a peaceful civilization, and that therefore the intentions of these visitors were peaceful. President Truman also declared that the United States should begin an effort to replicate the technology the visitors were seen to use, so that Americans could expand into space.

The next weekend, on July 26, the flying saucers returned to Washington, D.C. and flew over the city during the evening hours. The next day on the 27th they came again at night, reaching speeds that radar towers confirmed to be near 8,000 mph. The Air Force held a press conference a day later confirming that no one had been hurt during the incidents and that pilots and planes had been readied to defend the city if the flying saucers showed any signs of aggression. Reports came in later from as close as Passaic, New Jersey; Seat Pleasant, Maryland; and Salem, Massachusetts and as far away as Lac Chauvet, France; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Lima, Peru and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil that several flying saucers matching the description of the Washington sightings were also seen. Near Mexico City airspace, a passenger on an airplane snapped a picture of a saucer craft that had been flying alongside the plane.

r0300278.jpg

On October 9, 1952 Truman signed the National Aeronautics Act, establishing the National Aerospace Force Administration, which absorbed the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics and expanded their budget. Their principal goal, defined by 1953, was to launch a human pilot into Earth orbit and return him safely.

The United States government, among others, has already established a systematic study of sightings being reported worldwide of flying disk craft, under the name Project Blue Book. Reports of sightings would eventually number in the tens of thousands.

Last edited:

Hnau

Banned
Thanks JSmith, LeoXiao, Color Copycat, Sandoz, Dialga! I'm glad you are interested. :) Have you guys seen the original film? For early sci-fi it is really quite good, even sixty years after its production.

geneva.jpg

President Eisenhower and First Secretary Kruschev shaking hands at the Geneva Peace Summit

The Eisenhower Presidency (1953-1961) - Part 1

Even though Dwight D. Eisenhower was initially reluctant to run for presidency, and one might assume that isolationists like Robert Taft would be more successful in this timeline, the fact is that Eisenhower represented a fresh break from politics as usual. He was a trustworthy individual who understood the military, but advocated a quick end to the Korean War and the expansion of peace across the world. He was anti-Communist, but he advocated diplomatic solutions to the Cold War. This was the spirit created by the 1951 Klaatu Visitation, and so he would win ITTL as in OTL, perhaps by an even larger margin.

What divergences would happen here?

Josef Stalin died March 1953 according to schedule, prompting a power struggle in the Kremlin over who would now assume power. Moscow still held the position that the Americans were fabricating details of the 1951 Klaatu Visitation. There was no doubt that some high-velocity craft had landed in Washington D.C., after all, the Soviet Union had tracked its descent with their own radar station, but the message that "a race of robots would destroy the Earth if war continued" was dismissed as some kind of capitalist ruse. Even if an alien emissary had landed at the American capital, how could they be trusted to communicate the message delivered correctly? Any advanced alien civilization had to be communist, so they must have sent a message to the United States of America warning them that they'd be destroyed unless they gave power to the masses and embraced socialism. The Americans must have concealed the true message of the communist extraterrestrials and created one that served their own interests.

President Eisenhower knew that he had to destroy this delusion of the Soviets if the human race was to survive. In the aftermath of Stalin's death, in June Eisenhower offered his "Change for Peace" speech directed towards the Soviet Union. He made mention of Klaatu and the interstellar community of planets and how humanity must establish world peace or risk complete destruction by the robotic task-force that was monitoring activities on the Earth. Much of his speech was also devoted to the idea that increased arms spending was lowering the quality of life for people in not just the United States, but also the Communist bloc. This speech would have huge consequences later on, eventually convincing Nikita Kruschev to accept Klaatu's message as factual and attend the Geneva Peace Summit in 1955.

The Korean war comes to an end in May 1953 rather than in July with about the same terms. Eisenhower still opens relations with Fascist Spain which leads to the Madrid Pact and the Spanish Miracle. The Southeast Asia Treaty Organization for the defense against the spread of communism is still established.

What Eisenhower does not commit himself to is the CIA-led Operation Ajax which in OTL led to the 1953 Iranian coup d'etat. Truman opposed it, and Eisenhower is seen here as the "President of Peace", so Eisenhower doesn't want to go against the platform that got him elected. Furthermore, the grounds for such an operation was shaky enough in OTL... yeah, the Iranians nationalized British-owned oil industry there, but it wasn't America's problem. These are the days of the "Change for Peace", after all. Eisenhower doesn't support it, so it never happens. Mossadegh stays in power and the British lose confidence in their American allies. Relations cool between the two powers.

The situation in Guatemala is a little different. Americans have more vested interests here, and its closer to home. To let the Soviets establish a beach-head in the Western hemisphere would be political suicide. The CIA-led coup d'etat goes off normally here, though Eisenhower is slightly more reluctant. As an aside, Operation Wetback goes off without a hitch, leading to the deportation of tens of thousands of illegal immigrants. McCarthy falls from power in 1954 as in OTL. The Federal Aid Highway Act also goes through in 1956. In these issues, everything goes as in OTL.

There is much more planning for the 1955 Geneva Summit than in OTL, as it seems there is much more riding on it. Nikita Kruschev emerges as the undeniable leader of the Soviet Union in January 1955, as in OTL, and attends the conference in March, four months before OTL. The timing is very important, because West Germany had not formally entered NATO at this point. This, along with the effect generated by the 1951 Visitation, influences the participants to be much more sincere in trying to establish a general peace. The Declaration of the Hundred Testimonies are read concerning Klaatu's Last Speech, which allows finally for a formal East-West dialogue concerning the presence of an interstellar alliance that is watching from afar.

Nikita Kruschev agrees with Eisenhower that peace must be established as soon as possible or the entire human race could suffer. Many proposals are discussed: an international space program, an international aerial monitoring system to track saucer-craft and to prevent nuclear weapon stockpiling, general disarmament especially of nuclear weapons, and also German reunification. Kruschev admitted that he was very wary of NATO, and that if West Germany joined NATO he'd never consider it as safe for the East Germans to rejoin that country. Plans were put into place to re-unify Germany as a neutral country with treaties enforcing German non-alignment.

What came out of this conference that did not in OTL was general optimism for all of the proposals, but especially the plan for German re-unification. Eisenhower began to believe that if East Germany could be released from Soviet control, the entirety of Eastern Europe might release itself from Soviet influence and free, democratic elections could be held. President Eisenhower, considered a strong proponent of NATO, reversed his position on West Germany and with his influence prevented West German from joining the Organization in May as a sign of goodwill towards the Soviet Union. Another important development was that Kruschev realized that the Soviet space program was more important than ever, which led to its re-organization and an increase of funds.

In June 1956, the Aerospace Force launches Orbiter 1, the first artificial satellite to enter Earth orbit, using a rocket based on the Redstone ballistic missile. This is all part of NAFA's objective to launch an American into space, and work continues unabated towards this achievement. This comforts the American public that the United States is still ahead in technology and that there is no "missile gap" with the Soviet Union. Where in OTL Sputnik increased anti-communist paranoia in the US, here Orbiter decreases it. Eisenhower's popularity soars and gives him an overwhelming victory in the 1956 presidential elections.

Hnau

Banned
carpenter.jpg

Scott Carpenter became the first human to journey into outer space in September 1959

The Eisenhower Presidency (1953-1961) - Part 2

The success of the Geneva Peace Summit led to the Moscow visit of Richard Nixon in July 1957. Many important events had transpired since the Geneva Peace Summit in the Soviet capital. Kruschev had given his "Kruschev Report" at the 20th Party Congress in October 1955 in which he disclosed information concerning Stalin's crimes. The speech came earlier and more public than in OTL. De-Stalinization had begun with a bang. This caused revolts in Poland and later a full-blown revolution in Hungary which began in June 1956 rather than October. In all of these events, the Eisenhower administration refused to support these rebellions. American influence had also been crucial in putting an end to the Suez Crisis (which goes about the same as OTL). Kruschev feels more and more that he can trust the Eisenhower administration. And he feels much more confident of his position thanks to the April 1957 launch of Sputnik confirming that the Soviets weren't too far behind American technology.

When Nixon visits Moscow, there would be no American National Exhibition, and thus no confrontational "Kitchen Debate". Instead talks build upon the energy of the Geneva Peace Summit, and it is much more successful. Nixon invites Kruschev to make a visit to the United States, which he does in September 1957. The media circus surrounding his tour of the United States is even crazier, and unlike in OTL, Secretary Kruschev takes his family to Disneyland. During the visit, the Soviet leader proposes an immediate Four-Power Peace Summit in Paris. That December, the heads of state of the United States of America, the United Kingdom, France and the Soviet Union gather in Paris to discuss a possible peaceful solution to the the division of Germany.

Building upon the diplomatic proposals made during this conference, Kruschev and Eisenhower meet again in April 1958 with representatives of the United Kingdom, France, and the West German and East German administrations at Berlin to sign the Unification Treaty. The German Democratic Republic and Federal Republic of Germany agreed to unify into a new state, the Republic of Germany, with its capital in Berlin, agreeing that it would be permanently neutral along precedents set by the Austrian Declaration of Neutrality. The West German Basic Law would be almost completely maintained to quicken the process of re-unification, much like in OTL. This process largely came to a conclusion in October 1958, when Germany was finally re-unified after thirteen years of division, eliminating a huge source of contention between the East and the West.

In February 1959, international diplomacy was again at work at the Ten Nation Committee on Disarmament. Unlike in OTL, there is no U-2 spy place incident. Eisenhower has cut back on authorizing spy plane fly-overs of Soviet territory due to a better relationship with Kruschev. This would eventually lead to the signing of the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty in March 1960, three years earlier than in OTL. This means that the enormous 50-mt Tsar Bomba test detonation will never take place.

With cooler relations with the United Kingdom and without commanding influence in Iran, the American government is unable to promote and guide the creation of the Baghdad Pact between Iraq, Turkey, Pakistan, Iran and the United Kingdom. It was the least successful of the Cold War military alliances anyway, so this will generate only modest butterflies.

The Little Rock crisis still happens with roughly the same details.

The Eisenhower administration sells fewer arms to the Batista government from 1953 to 1957, and finally imposes an arms embargo against Cuba in March 1957, more than a year before OTL. Unfortunately, while there is a little less blame going around against the United States government, this only helps the cause of the revolutionaries under Fidel Castro. The Cuban Revolution reaches its victorious climax in 1958 rather than 1959. The fact that the Revolution was shorter means that the revolutionaries are less radicalized and somewhat less popular, so the Castro regime enjoys a longer honeymoon period of somewhat normal relations with the United States. By 1959 the Cuban-American relationship has gone south as it did in OTL. In the summer of 1960 President Eisenhower breaks off diplomatic relations. Fortunately, the Cuban Missile Crisis will never happen in this timeline because the United States doesn't have missile launchers in Turkey, thanks to the better relationship with the Soviets and the absence of the Baghdad Pact.

Only 80% of the nuclear missiles produced in the United States in OTL 1953-1961 are made ITTL. Disarmament talks between the East and West are much further along and there isn't as much of a perceived "missile gap", so while hydrogen bombs are tested and developed further, the American arsenal is smaller. The money that is saved this way is put into the Aerospace Force, speeding technological progression. Soviet arsenals are at roughly their OTL size, because fears of a "missile gap" with the Americans counteracts increasing pressure to move towards disarmament.

The Aerospace Force under Wernher von Braun uses these extra funds to accelerate their progress towards putting the first human being into space, their principle objective since 1952. Following the launch of the Orbiter satellite, NAFA Director Thomas K. Glennan moved right on ahead with planning for the orbital insertion of a human pilot. After much testing with animals, military pilot Scott Carpenter was chosen to make the historic flight. On September 20, 1959 Carpenter was launched into space using an upgraded version of the Redstone rocket, and proceeded to complete a complete orbit around the Earth. Scott Carpenter was heralded as the first human to voyage into space. The Soviet Union followed this spectacle by launching their own pilot, Yuri Gagarin, into space on April 5, 1960.

As the US presidential election of 1960 approached, Richard Nixon received the endorsement of Eisenhower and easily became the Republican candidate for the election. John F. Kennedy had a harder time winning the Democratic nomination, but did it nevertheless. It's a close race, but Nixon pulls through unlike in OTL because of the heightened popularity of the Republican. After all, Nixon had been there when Kruschev signed away the liberation of East Germany. Richard Nixon becomes the next President of the United States in January 1961.

Last edited:

Hnau

Banned
Yes, I didn't mention it in Part 1 but Nixon was still the VP for both of Eisenhower's terms.

JSmith

Banned
Thanks JSmith,
Have you guys seen the original film? For early sci-fi it is really quite good, even sixty years after its production.
Your welcome. Yes I have seen the original years ago(and recently) and loved it. The remake with Keanu Reeves was mostly a pale imitation despite the updated special effects. I have always wanted to see a detailed TL for it and besides the one Bruce did in his ASB thread I think this is the only one I have ever seen so again thanks for the effort.

Hmmm... in OTL, when the Stalin Note was produced (around the same time as this), America maintainted that it's official policy regarding German unification would be that they would only allow it if the Oder-Neisse line were reverse (ie Germany regains bits and pieces of Pomerania and Silesia, including Stettin and probably Breslau). In fact, I believe the US only dropped this after Willy Brandt's ostpolitik recognition of East Germany and Communist Poland (and, therefore, renouncing German claims on Polish territory).

Does that change here?

Hnau

Banned
vultan said:
Hmmm... in OTL, when the Stalin Note was produced (around the same time as this), America maintainted that it's official policy regarding German unification would be that they would only allow it if the Oder-Neisse line were reverse (ie Germany regains bits and pieces of Pomerania and Silesia, including Stettin and probably Breslau). In fact, I believe the US only dropped this after Willy Brandt's ostpolitik recognition of East Germany and Communist Poland (and, therefore, renouncing German claims on Polish territory).

Does that change here?

Yep. Pacifism slowly but steadily increases its grip on America thanks to Klaatu's speech, and Eisenhower is convinced that by introducing freedom and democracy to East Germany, the rest of Eastern Europe will eventually follow suit. Plus, it would remove a nasty flashpoint and a neutral buffer zone including Germany, Austria, and Yugoslavia. This is regarded as more important than the short-term liberation of Poland. Probably this different mood in foreign relations results in Eisenhower picking a different Secretary of State, maybe appointing a different director to the CIA, I'm not sure who exactly.

Oh, also Adenaur loses a lot of influence after 1955 and in 1957 he is replaced with a coalition led by the Social Democrats.

Hnau

Banned
trindad01.jpg

A disk spacecraft is photographed August 1959 near the coast in the area of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

Other events of the 1950s

There's another series of sightings of disk spacecraft throughout eastern Australia in the summer of 1954. A small fleet is photographed above Perth. In 1957 there are a number of sightings of saucer craft outside of Leningrad and near Helsinki. In the summer of 1959 disk spacecraft are seen above a number of South Pacific islands, Papua New Guinea, and New Zealand.

--
The Church of Scientology is established in 1952 by L. Ron Hubbard as in OTL, only it attracts much more of a following. By the year 1990 it will have 2 million members world wide.

The Indruean Movement begins in 1954 when an Australian writer Jack Bannerman claims that he was abducted by a saucer craft and encountered Klaatu on board. According to Bannerman's story, Klaatu explained that he was a prophet appointed by a race of gods known as the Elohim, and had been charged to find a human successor. Klaatu failed in finding a successor in Washington D.C. but succeeded through telepathic monitoring in finding Bannerman. Bannerman is re-named Indru and given the responsibility to act as a medium of communication between the Elohim and humanity to prepare them for a millenarian event. Much of the Indruean Movement shares similarities with the OTL Raelian Movement, but by 1990 it will claim 1 million members worldwide.

The Aether Society is founded in 1955 by George King and becomes a much more dynamic religion than in OTL, attracting eventually members throughout the entire world. In 1990 it claims 100,000 members.

Many other Flying Saucer religions arise throughout the world mostly in the 1950s and 1960s, much earlier than in OTL, and by 1990 it is estimated that there exists around 4 million adherents of various Flying Saucer religions. Klaatu's Speech has an important influence on all of them, with many working the 1951 Visitation into their mythology. As such, many of these religions are philanthropic and support charitable measures to advance world peace and the space sciences.

--

Mao Zedong is angered much more rapidly by Nikita Kruschev in this timeline. He is furious at the Soviet Union's decision to re-unify East Germany with the capitalist West Germans and lose one more bastion of communism. This accelerates the Sino-Soviet split. At a congress of the Romanian Communist Party in 1960 Mao and Kruschev engage in a shouting match over differences of ideology. In the months afterward, the two governments break off relations completely. This takes place about four years before OTL.