The Confederacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great update! :D And very detailed, I like it.

My favorite part? I absolutely love the little teasing tidbits you keep giving us, like how the soviets still come into being or how the U.S. will be working more closely with Prussia/Germany.

This looks fun - I'll enjoy an Confederacy sort of timeline that looks really good that I can follow from the beginning.

Looking forward to reading more! :D

The Netherlands and Belgium are likely to do business with the CSA as well, with Dutch traders already being prominent in New Orleans and Belgium showing IOTL that it is willing to cast aside ethical concerns for a profit *cough*Congo*cough*

Changes

I would think there would be a social change as widows from both landowning and working class go to work to sustain a household. Plus there are the orphans and disabled veterans from the conflict. Will there be any sort of pension for widows and orphans of veterans or those badly wounded? Will we have a 'lost generation' of writers and artists from war veterans in the US and CS?

Will we see a change in Confederate agriculture as some of the large estates go into bankruptcy or crop diversification? What about research into alternative crops? What about European investors coming to the CSA to buy up assets on the cheap?

If this goes the traditional British-CSA alliance, its a bit too cliche. The CSA may have cotton, but the British Empire can also get Cotton from India and the Middle East - specifically egypt. The US/North still has more
resources that the British technically need. And the north would still be a better trading partner. Plus there is considerable security to keeping the North on side with regards to Canada.

France-CSA makes more sense because of Nappy's investment in Mexico.

Spain would be an interesting ally.

There was never any real support for the CSA in the UK out, and the costs of openly allying with them (losing Canada tops the list) are far too great to outweigh the benefits (uh, more cotton?). On top of that, the CSA's veneration of slavery and racist (even for the time) ideology would put them off pretty damn quick. They'd probably maintain some token diplomatic relations, but still be overwhelmingly in favor of the US (losing Canada is not worth allying with a country as unsavory as the CSA).

France is a wild card, Napoleon III would certainly have cause to buddy up with the CSA, if only to use them as a useful distraction from his adventures in Mexico. If the Franco-Prussian war shakes out differently (which isn't too hard) and Napoleon IV I could see them moving away from rapproachment with Britain in favor of carving their won alliance bloc, including the CSA.

Spain is almost certainly not going to ally with the Confederacy. Given the Fire Eaters well known ambition for creating a "Golden Circle" of slavery in Latin America, Spain is going to get really worried about Confederate filibustering in Cuba and Central America (the ability of the CSA to actually pull this off notwithstanding). They'd probably at least try and normalize things with the United States, if not openly moving into their camp.

Trouble

I would think the US would be willing to 'lose' some supplies to help the republicans in Mexico/Caribbean. Plus there would be lots of surplus arms and volunteers to cause trouble in Latin America and other ports of call.

I would think the US would be willing to 'lose' some supplies to help the republicans in Mexico/Caribbean. Plus there would be lots of surplus arms and volunteers to cause trouble in Latin America and other ports of call.

True, but I kind of wanna see his take on Maximilian Mexico. Everyone else makes it a CSA puppet state/third world country, but I have a feeling he'll do something cool with it.

Interesting TL so far, but I wish you would make the font larger. I'm having trouble reading it and it's giving me a headache. (the joys of being 30! :rolleyes:) I don't normally read before 1900 TLs, especially about the CSA, but I'm curious where you'll go with it, considering our shared interest in a certain Texan. :p

I'm going to nitpick with your line,

'for the first time in history, the Confederate states looked upon itself as its own master'.

The southern states had had control over their own affairs since day 1. From the nation's founding until 1860, southerners generally held control of the supreme court, democrats often controlled congress, and the president was usually pro-slavery. The whole reason they seceded was because they were afraid of someone else being their master.

In fact, most southerners were opposed to states rights until the war, because it would diminish their political power.

Aside from that tangent, your update was excellent and had some interesting foreshadowing.

Well, this is certainly an interesting timeline…

Could it be possible for somebody to create a map of North America as of the present day? It would be interesting to see how many countries occupy the area that is OTL's USA.

iddt3

Donor
What about all the pro Union Guerrillas in the South? If there are those unreconciled to the end of slavery in the North, there are far more unreconciled to succession in the South- and they can't support a large army or justify the kind of crazy oppressiveness they did in wartime.

Thoughts

What about all the pro Union Guerrillas in the South? If there are those unreconciled to the end of slavery in the North, there are far more unreconciled to succession in the South- and they can't support a large army or justify the kind of crazy oppressiveness they did in wartime.

Up to the state Militias/local law to handle. Probably lots of 'bandits and highwaymen' in more rural areas of the Confederacy.

The Union looks like it is become more centralized and militant in order to preserve the Union. Eventually a peace of exhaustion will have to be from since Deseret and California will take time to police and occupy. I can see the Union Army use the promise of citizenship/land grants to immigrants and freed blacks to bolster the ranks and establish 'veterans colonies' in California and the Border States.

Avery and Gorgas sound like they could run for national office in the in the next election.

Very interesting, it will be interesting to see how the race relations develop in this new North America.

Will this tl cover events outside of North America?

Status
Not open for further replies.