The Confederacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The message I had hoped to convey was that indeed, General Lee's orders were lost. No historian would convey a message at every engagement saying "neither side lost their orders." While this does not lead directly to a Confederate victory, McClellan is forced to March north into Pennsylvania, gather more military, then descend back into Maryland to attack Lee's postions in Sharpsburg. This Union delay was caused by the Confederate victory at South Mountain. Lee's army had time to consolidate control over Sharpsburg, get the supply train situation sorted, and to bolster his forces with reinforcements. Lee occupied the favourable ground, and with Washington screaming to attack Lee, McClellan obliged.

So a Gettysburg in reverse?

I'm waiting to see what happens after the war. A surviving confederacy would face a muktitude of problems- inflation, poor industrialization, a lack of immigration (most immigrants settled in the north), slave unrest, poor farmer unrest, a lack of cooperation in the government, pro-union movements in the appalachians and some other areas, infrastructure damage from the war, and the fact that the USA can just tarrif the crap out of them and wreck havoc on their economy that way. Not a pleasant situation for the leaders.

I'm also interested to see how/why Britain enters the war... there has to be a reason other than cotton, as the British were able to grow their own by the end of the war and saw no reason to support the confederates... and Napolean III's response to an independent CSA.

The message I had hoped to convey was that indeed, General Lee's orders were lost. No historian would convey a message at every engagement saying "neither side lost their orders." While this does not lead directly to a Confederate victory, McClellan is forced to March north into Pennsylvania, gather more military, then descend back into Maryland to attack Lee's postions in Sharpsburg. This Union delay was caused by the Confederate victory at South Mountain. Lee's army had time to consolidate control over Sharpsburg, get the supply train situation sorted, and to bolster his forces with reinforcements. Lee occupied the favourable ground, and with Washington screaming to attack Lee, McClellan obliged.

Can I just say that really doesn't seem like McClellan at all in regards to him attacking Lee when he occupied the better ground. Say what you will about him but doing something like that is not something McClellan would do.

TFSmith121

Banned
The lost orders were not what won Antietam...

No lost orders by Lee perhaps?

The lost orders were not what won Antietam...:rolleyes:

Almost 2-1 odds in favor of the US forces had something to do with it; even George B. McClellan couldn't eff that up...;)

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/antietam.html?tab=facts

And the fact the rebels had no supply line worth the name. The rebels never once managed to sustain an army or even a corps-sized offensive into US-held territory, whether Maryland, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, or Missouri...

Amazing how the only way the rebels can ever win is if the US commanders act like idiots.

Best,

TFSmith121

Banned
Yeah, "daring" "audacious" and "reckless" are not words

Can I just say that really doesn't seem like McClellan at all in regards to him attacking Lee when he occupied the better ground. Say what you will about him but doing something like that is not something McClellan would do.

Yeah, "daring" "audacious" and "reckless" are not words that come to mind when one speaks of George B.

On the Peninsula, as soon as the Seven Days got underway, his orders amounted to withdrawal, even after Malvern Hill, which pretty much makes clear who was "reckless" between Lee and Mac...

At Antietam, his forces outnumbered Lee's by 87,000 to 45,000, and the later figure is charitable.

Best,

From what I've read, this was impossible. Howver, a victory for the Confederacy has always interested me. I'll be following this.:)

The mistakes the USA made ITTL are pretty cringeworthy.

Now comes the CSA's chief problem of finding an ally so that the USA doesn't start a fresh invasion a decade or two from now and crush them.

The British government won't care, although British investors will.
Napolean III might, but won't be around much longer.
Nobody else in Europe cares enough.

The CSA lacks the manpower or production to take on the USA a second time, and things will likely stay that way for a long time.

The mistakes the USA made ITTL are pretty cringeworthy.

Now comes the CSA's chief problem of finding an ally so that the USA doesn't start a fresh invasion a decade or two from now and crush them.

The British government won't care, although British investors will.
Napolean III might, but won't be around much longer.
Nobody else in Europe cares enough.

The CSA lacks the manpower or production to take on the USA a second time, and things will likely stay that way for a long time.

If this goes the traditional British-CSA alliance, its a bit too cliche. The CSA may have cotton, but the British Empire can also get Cotton from India and the Middle East - specifically egypt. The US/North still has more
resources that the British technically need. And the north would still be a better trading partner. Plus there is considerable security to keeping the North on side with regards to Canada.

France-CSA makes more sense because of Nappy's investment in Mexico.

Spain would be an interesting ally.

Keep it up, man. I'm loving this TL. I would have loved to see a bit more details on Lincoln's mad attack on the South that cost "a thousand men for every 100 confederates" (paraphrasing, of course). Still, what you said about the main focus of the TL being the social and political history of the new country more than make up for it.

Still, what you said about the main focus of the TL being the social and political history of the new country more than make up for it.

I think that is way better. Skim past the wars as they are not really the focus and look more into the social and political history of the Confederacy.

Spain would be an interesting ally.

I never thought of Spain. But, Spain won't be much help if another war breaks out, nor will they be much of a deterrant, seeing how the Spanish-American war went.

Edit: Did the trent affair happen ITTL, or did I miss it somewhere?

jahenders

Banned
Interesting, though I find it too simple, convenient, and unlikely that AZ and NM join the CSA, the Union completely abandons the area, and the CSA gets the native american tribes to join

What happen to the economy in the CSA during the war?
Did they have problem with inflation and large amount of forged CSA dollars being printed by people in the union stated.

A Counterfeiting Conspiracy?

Upham first got the idea the month before, on Feb. 24, 1862. That day, customers kept coming into his shop to buy The Philadelphia Inquirer. Puzzled, he asked one of them what made that particular edition so popular. The answer was on the front page: the Inquirer’s editors had printed a copy of a five-dollar Confederate note. Philadelphians had never seen Rebel money before and were fascinated by it.
Upham saw a chance to cash in. He raced to the Inquirer’s offices, bought the plate of the note, and printed 3,000 copies on French letter paper. They sold extremely well. Along the bottom of each bill, he included a thin strip that read, in small print, “Fac-simile Confederate Note,” with his name and address. The tags could easily be clipped off, transforming the “fac-simile” into an excellent counterfeit.

Hamstrung by a disorganized government and mounting logistical challenges, the Confederacy couldn’t stanch the surge of counterfeit currency. Despite Southern claims, however, it’s unlikely that the Union government ever actively promoted the forging of Confederate money. Federal authorities most likely found it easier to ignore the forging of Southern bills than to take a position either for or against it. They certainly never interfered with Upham, who freely continued forging Confederate cash until August 1863. By that time, the value of the Southern dollar had fallen so low that it was hardly worth counterfeiting. During the 18 months that Upham operated his venture, the purchasing power of the Confederate dollar disintegrated. Between February 1862 and August 1863, the value of Confederate paper money fell by ninety percent.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/a-counterfeiting-conspiracy/?_r=0

Interesting, though I find it too simple, convenient, and unlikely that AZ and NM join the CSA, the Union completely abandons the area, and the CSA gets the native american tribes to join

I could see a future border crisis over these territories, especially since they're so sparsely populated and will remain so for several decades.

Districts

On 23 May, the Virginia referendum on secession passed overwhelmingly, but the Northwestern counties of Virginia had their votes "lost" and the Governor estimated the results for this region. Now known as a portion of the Appalachian District in the United States, it was called "West Virginia" for a short period of time.

This is the second mention of Districts in the United States. I get the feeling the powers of the states remaining in the US many be reduced in the future.

TFSmith121

Banned
You know, points for trying, but

N.B. I am afraid I am not a military historian, but I have attempted to make the divergences in this war as realistic as I possibly could. My focus rests on political and social history, which shall encompass the time after the war, so while I apologise for things that might seem inconstant with reality, it must be chalked up to some sort of error at that date and time on their part, or other outside circumstances. I am not bring AK-47s into battle here, I am just demonstrating a different view of the situation. The death of U.S. Grant is another big part of the story, as you can already surmise, his death being analogous to the death of A.S. Johnston in our universe. I kindly thank all those who are enjoying and following, and hope that you can stick around for the next one hundred and fifty years of Confederate history!

You know, points for trying, but you do see the inherent challenge, right?

You're not a military historian, but you're trying to set up a society that would not exist absent a major war...:rolleyes:

And said society, of course, is outnumbered more than 3 to 1 by the other combatant in this particular conflict. There's a minor structural problem, correct?

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies.