The City of Water:A Venetian TL (Discontinued: See V2 in Industrial Progress: A Story Of Venetian..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venice can only flourish if the Serenissima does not get unduly involved in the Italian wars. Venice needs some hinterland but Treviso, Padua and Belluno would be ample. The belt of marshes helps a lot in terms of safety, a friendly Milan (as I have said a zillion times Milan and Venice are natural symbiotic partners, not competitors) would be perfect for both Milan and Venice.

I agree. Going for Friuli and Trieste and the rest of Istria/Dalmatia would be better than Verona, Brescia etc. And have the added advantage of cutting off Austria's possible Italian ambitions. The problem is if an expansionist Visconti decades later tries to kill the golden goose... Gian himslrf is clever enough to want an alliance/business partnership, and if he lives longer he gets Bologna, Florence and Genoa... A stable Milan would forestall landward expansion and keep them firmly looking east, to Egypt, the Bosphorus, Persia and beyond. The Byzantines aren't totally done yet IIRC, they could with effort recover Greece and maybe some of the Anatolian coast. A divided Balkans/Anatolia is in their interest, however.

Venice can only flourish if the Serenissima does not get unduly involved in the Italian wars. Venice needs some hinterland but Treviso, Padua and Belluno would be ample. The belt of marshes helps a lot in terms of safety, a friendly Milan (as I have said a zillion times Milan and Venice are natural symbiotic partners, not competitors) would be perfect for both Milan and Venice.

Not agreeing. Milan had a merchantile nature not less strong than Venice, only that was based on land and rivers rather than sea. And Milan through its rulers always showed to have domination dreams in North Italy, also in direction of Venice.

For me, best Venice is equal worst Milan, because North (divided) Italy could prosper under a monopolistic power which acts as protector, not with a dual power possibly instable.

Not agreeing. Milan had a merchantile nature not less strong than Venice, only that was based on land and rivers rather than sea. And Milan through its rulers always showed to have domination dreams in North Italy, also in direction of Venice.

For me, best Venice is equal worst Milan, because North (divided) Italy could prosper under a monopolistic power which acts as protector, not with a dual power possibly instable.

Milan is effectively controlling the two main routes from Italy to Germany and Flanders (the Sempione and Brenner passes) and also controls almost the totality of the navigable portion of the Po river (in ITTL GG even took Mantua): note that even if the Visconti grabs Pisa and Genoa (which is certain for the former and likely for the latter) it will always be cheaper to ship goods along the Po, either through Mantua and the lake of Garda or Ticino river and Lake Maggiore. What benefits Venice trade will also benefit Milanese trade and the much larger amount of goods moved through the Visconti lands will be a great help to defray the costs of the artificial waterways and roads that will be required to move the traffic.

I'd also mention that IOTL proved very clearly that Venice could not become master of Northern Italy and at the same time manage a maritime empire. Even the coffers of the Serenissima did not hold enough gold (and the same would also be true for a dominant Milan).

Inaction is a form of action

1398: Tired of the schism France withdraws support to the Avignon pope and a small army besieges the papal palace, hoping to force an end to the schism.

Avignon_palace.jpg

Papal palace of Avignon, built and destroyed by the French kings.

A Venetian merchant sent to the Far East to facilitate shipments of exotic cargo witnesses the funeral of 洪武帝 the Hongwu Emperor of China, the emperor chosen by the heavens. And why not? How else can a penniless monk overthrow the Yuan dynasty, expel the Mongols, and restored peace and prosperity to a famine stricken middle kingdom. Despite his achievements, succession of the middle kingdom now falls to his 25 sons and their grandsons. As a souvenir the Venetian Merchant buys a pittance in the late-emperor's devalued paper currency.

Cyprus.png

The Coat of arms of the Kingdom of Cyprus, comes nominally with the crown of Jerusalem as well

Janus of Cyprus, hostage of the Genoese is released from captivity upon the death of his father to assume the crowns of Cyprus, Armenia, and Jerusalem. With all effective power in Cyrus in the hands of the Genoese Janus secretly writes to the only other Christian power in the Eastern Mediterranean. [1]

1399: The siege of Bologna is lifted after 20 days as the inhabitants of the city surrenders. While the conditions of the surrender ensure safety of the city, an incident of a Milanese soldier stealing a horse quickly escalates into widespread looting. It takes over two days for the captains to regain control or to stop looting themselves. With the flag of Milan now resting over its gates the survivors of Bologna watch wearily as the armies of Milan march south towards Florence.

With Avignon under siege the demise of the Avignon pope now seems certain to Pope Boniface IX in Rome. With his theological authority restored the pope now turns to more temporal concerns of the realm, concerned with the growing power of Milan Boniface summons the Venetian ambassador for discussions.

1400: A Venetian fleet arrives off the coast of Famagusta, the center of Genoese power on Cyprus. While officially the fleet is only there to aid in the rightful restoration of Janus to his throne the secret purpose of the Venetian fleet is to acquire the strategically important natural harbour of Famagusta and to deny their Genoese competitors its benefit. Aided by Janus' militia, the Venetian fleet settles in for a long siege knowing that there are no reinforcements from an occupied Genoa.

Rupert of Palatine, emperor elect eagerly marches south towards Rome in anticipation of his coronation by the pope as Holy Roman Emperor in Rome and as the King of the Lombards in Milan.

1401: Confronted by a much larger and better equipped army of Milan, Rupert of Palatine is captured and brought to Gian Galeazzo Visconti personally. In exchange for his life and freedom Rupert is forced to concede the Iron Crown of the Lombards to Visconti and in addition acknowledge his claims to Genoa, Florence, Pisa, and Lucca. [2]

The imperial diet, upon learning of Rupert's capture and the terms of his release declares that the agreement was made under duress and thus invalid. Despite their condemnation few if any prince or bishop is inclined to send an army to retrieve the Iron crown and instead they delegate the expense of recovering the crown to the Emperor. [3]

Ladislaus of Naples is invited by Hungarian nobles to claim the throne of Hungary and Croatia, after signing a treaty of mutual defense against Milan the Venetian senate provides free passage for his army to debark in Dalmatia. For Ladislaus he has just secured free transport for his army and a potential ally for his ambitions in Tuscany, for the Venetians it is welcome interference against the occupier of her lost Dalmatian territories. In hopes of weakening Sigmund a considerable effort goes towards supplying and transporting Ladislaus' forces. [4]

1402: It has been twenty years since the end of the Serrate in Venice and the opening of trade to all. The Venetian tradition of entrepreneuring merchant explorers, long fading since the time of Marco Polo is slowly reviving in Venice as the profit of long range trade is available to all willing to risk the seas. [5]

Unnoticed by the average Venetian the Council of Ten fades into obscurity, not for a lack of will but simply a lack of agreement. No longer a monolithic senate of Patricians the new council cannot agree upon a common direction or even appointment for the Council of Ten, eventually a replacement committee was created but it was plagued by the same lack of consensus, even basic functions such as pomp laws could not be agreed upon. Still even without edicts such as the pomp laws, people are still disdainful of statues and open displays of pomp that carry with them signs of hubris and the notion of tyrants.

Spurred on by the Timurids, the Ottoman beyliks rebel against royal rule, intending to restore order and expel Bayzeid leads an army into Anatolia .Styling himself a new Genghis Khan Timur has slaughtered his way across the Muslim world from Central Asia and easily crushes his latest opponent in the battle of Ankara. Bayzeid and his sons are captured by Timur and the Ottoman kingdom is left without an heir. Attempts for an agreement between the Ottomans and the Venetians or Genoese for transportation across the Bosporus strait falters due to the Venetian-Genoese pre-occupation with Cyprus. The majority of the Ottoman army is crushed against the Aegean coast. With the throne only nominally controlled by Bayzeid the administration of the Ottoman kingdom is left to the Sufi scholars and the Janissaries ruling over a Christian populace. [6]

With all of Iraq, Syria, Anatolia, and central Asia under his rule Timur now the undisputed ruler of the Muslim world turns his armies east towards the Ming Dynasty.

Canary_islands.jpg

Jean de Béthencourt, claiming the Canary Islands

Jean de Béthencourt, under the authority of Henry III of Castile, plants the flag of Castile on the Canary Islands. The pacification of the natives has begun. The land of the Canaries is noted as fertile and warm, excellent for crops such as sugar to supplement Venetian sugar from the Eastern Mediterranean. "Gifts" of sheep are given to the natives to serve as a source of nourishment when Castilian soldiers eventually arrive.

The forces of Milan meet the forces of Florence at the western base of the Apennines Mountains between Bologna and Florence. With preparations the Florentine forces manages to erect earthworks to nullify the Milanese cavalry and the battle is reduced to a match of sheer weight between armoured infantry. At enormous cost to the Florentine forces the 15, 000 strong army of Milan is scattered to the countryside. For the Florentine this is their last major effort, for Milan it was the costly but replaceable loss of skilled soldiers. Already new taxes are raised in Milan for another army while the citizens of Florence begin fortifying their city.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

[1]In OTL Genoa was under French rule and protection which protected Cyprus, in this TL Genoa is ruled by Visconti who was wed to Isabella of the French house of Valois till her death in 1373 and still has his daughter wed to Louis, duke of Orléans. In OTL Janus attempted to enlist Venetian help but the protection of the French fleet was too much, without naval support and lacking neither strong army nor siege equipment his efforts against the Genoese ended in failure. This is a butterfly of Venice letting Milan do as it likes, no French protectors for Genoa.
[2]Rupert in OTL managed to escape capture not that his escape helped him in OTL. Ruling over only Palatine Rupert was a poor prince, with little manpower, and elected at the mercy influence of several factions in the HRE. He was guaranteed to lose the battle.
[3] Things in the HRE are happening a bit earlier than OTL, but otherwise the same.
[4] Once again a Venice that isn't actively fighting both the Ottomans and Milanese has more resources to use elsewhere, indirectly supporting Ladislaus to rid the Adriatic shore of a hostile force fits quite well with the Venetian senate's aversion to direct conflict.
[5]I am aware that Marco Polo had special circumstances for his voyage, but he is among the most famous examples.
[6]In OTL the Venetians and Genoese helped the bulk of the veteran Ottoman forces across the Bosporus strait as they preferred leverage over the enemy they knew over the enemy they didn't, here previous commitments in Cyprus has tied them down. The effect of relative Venetian inaction in this timeline shows the limited ability of the Venetians and that much larger players are in the game. Most Venetian actions in the east so far have been concerned with securing ports for profit. On the other hand the Janissaries, a centralized and loyal institution for the sultan is left without direction but possibly spared the civil war between Bayzeid's sons. Most of the early Ottoman sultans led their armies personally; it has its advantages but also makes losses devastating dynastically.

Last edited:
Open question to the readers, what do you think about my writing style so far?

Personally I feel that it's a bit-long winded and somewhat broad in its focus. Then again for a good deal of Venetian history, it was just as much about as what Venice did as what its neighbors did, yet this distracts from a tight and efficient narrative. Similarly I feel that I erred on the side of details over story delivery, I think it comes from my personal disdain about walls of text in comics. I would love to hear your thoughts :)

Personally I feel that it's a bit-long winded and somewhat broad in its focus. Then again for a good deal of Venetian history, it was just as much about as what Venice did as what its neighbors did, yet this distracts from a tight and efficient narrative. Similarly I feel that I erred on the side of details over story delivery, I think it comes from my personal disdain about walls of text in comics. I would love to hear your thoughts :)

Well I am enjoying your story, and I think you are right in giving a broader context: obviously Venice doesn't exist in a vacuum! I don't find your writing particularly long winded, you already described twenty years of atl (that would be a great achievement for my own little tl). Usually I prefer more narrative stories, but still I like your update pacing.
So keep going on if you have time, and Viva San Marco!

Well, I'd be lying if I said I don't prefer the narrative or encyclopedic style of writing, but Yanez says it best up there, "obviously Venice doesn't exist in a vacuum!" And for what it's worth, it is interesting to see just how Europe goes on with the the new times.

On another note, Ming China? Timur might eat his words at that, even if he did tried IOTL. The again, he might not die just as he did OTL and might even make good on his promise!

On another note, will/have the Venetians transported the Ottoman army to Trace? The Serenissima might prefer the enemy they already know rather than confronting an enemy they don't.

Well, your writing style is much more of a professional novelist than I am due to the fact that you're here much longer. ;)

On another note, will/have the Venetians transported the Ottoman army to Trace? The Serenissima might prefer the enemy they already know rather than confronting an enemy they don't.

They may, but when they are fighting for the key port to the Syrian trade in Cyprus against the Genoese ;the more profitable choice with the immediate commercial payoff goes first. After all Venice in OTL was a commercial empire and the evacuation of the Ottoman army is a joint effort by the Genoese and Venetians both of whom are fighting in Cyprus.

As for Ming China, Timur more or less crushes the Ottomans and becomes the dominant ruler in Islam just as OTL I don't see how the Venetians being more cautious will change the fact that Ming has been insulting him by calling him a vassal for a few years now.

Last edited:
The eastern romans are likely happy that the ottomans lost their ruler and his sons, but they would be wise to coordinate with other powers before attacking. And thats assuming the janissaries and sufi scholars grab the idiot ball.

Last edited:
The sword of Osman

640px-Taklide-Seif_at_display_2014-05-29_11-28.jpg

The Sword of Osman

The Sword of Osman, once held by Osman Gazi founder of the Ottoman dynasty. It has seen the coronation of every sultan since the death of its original owner. It has tasted the blood of countless foes. It has felt the strong grip of a few in whose veins flowed the blood of conquerors. And it has tasted the blood of brothers, for only the strongest Osman brother may yield the sword of their fathers and this has made the Osman line strong.

But now, it senses the end of the Osman bloodline. It is filled with sadness at the loss of a companion but also anticipation, for only those with the blood of conquerors will wield the Sword of Osman.

Faeelin

Banned

If Venice doesn't have Northern Italy, it's not going to be a great power by 1600.

Reaction

1403: Ladislaus of Naples decides against the invasion of Hungary much to the disappointment of the Venetian senate. Knowledgeable about the volatile politics of Hungary Ladislaus calculates that short of an actual invasion the opportunistic noble houses would try to control or oust him once he replaces Sigismund. Instead Ladislaus focuses on territorial ambitions closer to home. He enters negotiation with the Venetian Senate to sell his newly acquired Hungarian titles . The Venetian senate, weary of Milan but eager to re-acquire Dalmatia stalls in the negotiations; a potential war with Hungary is considered a deadly distraction with Milan looming over the Po Valley.[1]

221900-top_foto1-u5fgv.jpg

Czech philosopher Jan Hus

John Hus, a Czech philosopher begins to preach against the perceived corruption and hearsay of the catholic church in Bohemia.

The city of Ferrara falls after a year of siege, the Milanese army enter the city to discover that many of the inhabitants succumbed to pestilence and hunger. In Venice the news that the borders of Milan now rests upon the shores of the Adriatic sends a brief panic throughout the Great Council.

After a siege of three years the Genoese port of Famagusta surrenders to Janus of Cyprus, in exchange for Venetian assistance Janus grants Venice trading rights as well as a quarter within the city of Famagusta. It would be later noted by a Venetian archivist that the majority of the funding for the Venetian fleet came from trading houses associated with trade in Syria and the owners of the sugar plantation on Cyprus.

1404: Despite the withdrawal of French support Avignon pope Benedict XIII still enjoys support in Scotland, Sicily, Aragon and Castile. With the help of a few pious travelers from Aragon , Benedict escapes from the Papal place to Aragon.

The siege of Florence begins, despite the abundance of bombards for the besieging army little damage is done to the walls as the slow rate of fire and the inability of the stone cannonballs to deal lasting damage allows the defenders of the city to make necessary repairs. Despite the relative ineffectiveness of the bombards, the Milanese commander orders the bombards to be concentrated upon specific sections of the walls and fired continuously in order to wear down the defenders. Meanwhile in Milan Visconti plans his next campaign to secure the remainder of the Po Valley. [2]

Sigismund of Hungary is released from prison after allying with a powerful alliance of noble houses in Hungary, free yet with royal power weaker than ever he begins the pursuit of his brother's succession in Bohemia as well as the reclamation of his Dalmatian possessions.

Bayzeid, sultan of the Ottomans dies in Timur's captivity . Bayzeid's sons lie dead or imprisoned in Timur's power. Absent of a ruler to confirm for succession the various generals, Sufis, and Janissaries vie among themselves for the crown. Timur himself, in preparation for a campaign against Ming is struck by severe illness, whispers of Bayzeid's death curse pervades the court.

Taking advantage of Ottoman weakness Byzantine Emperor Manuel II Palaiologos seizes the city of Thessalonica, the second largest city in the Aegean. Manuel installs his sickly and submissive eight year old son as the governor of the city. With the bulk of the Venetian fleet recalled to Italy Manuel builds a token naval force and reasserts his authority to enforce tolls in the Bosporus straits .

At the age of 54, Pope Boniface IX dies of illness. On the election of the successor pope Innocent VII a riot broke out with the Ghibellines, supporters of the Holy Roman Empire. The unrest is swiftly crushed by Ladislaus who extracted concessions and promises of an interdict against Milan.

Mediterranean1400.png

The Mediterranean in 1404

1405: Pope Innocent VII weary of Milanese domination and indebted to Ladiaus proclaims a Holy league against Milan, citing a relatively minor transgression by Milanese troops against a count under the protection of the Papacy and places Milan under interdiction. Despite the questionable nature of a claimant to the papacy during a schism Naples, Venice, Padua seizes the opportunity and marches upon the kingdom of Milan. The interdict will never be ratified by the council.

Timur , Genghis Khan reborn dies . Much like Genghis Khan before him, Timur is a great conquer but his massive empire is held together only by family bonds. Infighting begins between generals and Timur's sons. Bayzeid's sons are forgotten in the chaos that followed, if any escaped from their imprisonment in Samarkand they would have to travel over deserts and mountains to return to Edrine.

The Ottoman Empire is left without a clear line of succession and it's Anatolian territory in the hands of independent Beyliks and the Timurids. A three-way division surfaces between the feudal Timariots drawn from landed Turks, the centralized royal Janissaries who are converted Christian slaves, and increasingly independent Sufis communes and Christian vassals. [3]

Unnoticed by the Venetian state the city of Dubrovnik (Ragusa) has been steadily expanding her merchant fleet since the 1350s, given its ideal locations between Venice and the East, it's proximity to valuable ship oak and supported by a mercantile government similar to Venice the small republic grows in wealth. Nominally under the protection of the Kingdom of Hungary the Republic of Ragusa has existed with near complete autonomy due to Hungarian instability and disinterest in matters outside of Dalmatian security, and the Ottoman desire to weaken Venice. While the Venetian republic faces Milan's physical threat to its security, it's economic well being is at stake.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

[1]In OTL Ladislaus actually dithers in Dalmatia for several years, ITTL however the much greater threat of Milan draws his attention back to Italy earlier.In OTL he sold his rights of Dalmatia to Venice much later, by then Sigismund was no longer imprisoned and it started a long and inconclusive war. That being said, the chances of a Hungarian-Venetian war depends on diplomacy and Sigismund's ability to generate noble support.
[2] The first cannonballs were made of stone and were not as effective as iron cannonballs. Stone cannonballs tended to shatter upon impact, reducing their damage to walls as well as infantry. Later on iron cannonballs in contrast would burrow into walls until they stopped and tear straight through infantry formations.
[3] The Ottomans had the highest quality army in the world at this point, surrounded by unpopular lords and using the Janissary system to recruit from conquered lands it only grows stronger with each success. The Ottoman system of succession is based on the concept of the survival of the fittest , where the surviving brother rules the empire. Each slave in the Sultan's harem is educated in the arts and converted to Islam, is allowed to lay with the Sultan once and if she is pregnant with a son assigned to a governing province. In this manner each son is equally treated with a single mother and given a province, it guarantees the strongest successor but it has no contingency for non-dynastic inheritance.

Last edited:
If Venice doesn't have Northern Italy, it's not going to be a great power by 1600.

As with OTL, while Venice was still rich by the 17th century it was being dwarfed by centralizing neighbors with much more manpower and resources. It needs some sort of hinterland that can be sustained either through geography or politics.

Last edited:

corourke

Donor
Enjoying this very much! It's nice to see a TL about Venice that doesn't have it conquering the former lands of the Roman empire in 100 years.

Well, the fact Veneto is still fragmented could be somehow a nuisance in terms of manpower, but at least Venice seems more powerful on sea. Thalassocracy to the extreme then?

How long until Venetia includes Ragusa as part of their republic? With the weakened Ottomans and the Crimea under their control, they can gain most of the Black Sea trade.

Well, the fact Veneto is still fragmented could be somehow a nuisance in terms of manpower, but at least Venice seems more powerful on sea. Thalassocracy to the extreme then?

There's a limit to the merchant marine for a city of 120,000 at best.

How long until Venetia includes Ragusa as part of their republic? With the weakened Ottomans and the Crimea under their control, they can gain most of the Black Sea trade.

As with OTL, Ragusa has little to no natural defenses or hinterlands. It survives with diplomacy and it is very good at it. A conflict with Ragusa ITTL would mean an uncertain war with Hungary and whoever else Ragusa brings in.

Status
Not open for further replies.